Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Russia expands Anti-LGBT laws.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:34 pm

Wow, just wow..... Check this out.

https://www.nbcnews.com/nbc-out/out-new ... -rcna38876

"The expanded measure would ban public discussion of LGBTQ relationships in a positive or neutral light, and any LGBTQ content in cinemas."

So, I guess that they want to lock up every Russian citizen who speaks about LGBT stuff now?? Sounds like Nazi germany all over again, no?

Discuss!!

casinterest

Re: Russia expands Anti-LGBT laws.

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:41 pm

The Nazi party has finally won in Russia after 80 years.

c933103

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:48 pm

casinterest wrote:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say they reverted to how they were before ~1985?

casinterest

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:49 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to say they reverted to how they were before ~1985?

Not with the present situations and Gaslighting by Russia in Ukraine.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:58 pm

But seriously.... what is the deal with the Russians not happy with the LGBTQ movement? What is their state of mind? I don't fully understand it when the rest of the world (mostly) is adapting fine with it.

luckyone

Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:00 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
But seriously.... what is the deal with the Russians not happy with the LGBTQ movement? What is their state of mind? I don't fully understand it when the rest of the world (mostly) is adapting fine with it.

Gotta have a boogeyman when your leadership is on shaky ground and you have to distract from your own self-created troubles. So you pick the icky people.

casinterest

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:31 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

you forget how powerful single party rule and state controlled media can be. They lie to everyone for their own needs.

Dogman

Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:55 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

Since almost anyone in the USSR and now in Russia can be put in jail for whatever made up reason, prison norms have a very strong influence on Russian mentality. And in prisons rape is often used to break people, to put them at the bottom of the pecking order. So, homosexuals are often being viewed as weak men, who could not stand up for themselves. That' is also why Russians are way more tolerant to lesbian relationships, since in female prisons rape is not being used to the same extend. Plus, women are expected to be weak anyway.

Newark727

Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:16 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

The fundamental ideology of Putin's regime is ultimately cynicism. It's okay if the Russian public don't support their government or trust what it says, as long as they also don't support any other social institution or trust what anyone else says. There always have to be more scapegoats and greater evils than Putin to be found, and existing social biases are ripe to exploit for more.

seb146

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:09 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
The scary thing is how many in the US are Putinites. And I will add, such people may espouse all sorts of sexual purity dogmas, but behind the curtains they will f**k little children, rape women, have secret families, marry their horse and it will all be tolerated so long as the 'offender' is politically acceptable.

Really?

Yes, really

https://accountability.gop/ukraine-quotes/
https://www.ft.com/content/fd870fa9-007 ... 2aa2a35767
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... a-00022419

frmrCapCadet

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:13 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:
The scary thing is how many in the US are Putinites. And I will add, such people may espouse all sorts of sexual purity dogmas, but behind the curtains they will f**k little children, rape women, have secret families, marry their horse and it will all be tolerated so long as the 'offender' is politically acceptable.

Really?

If you have followed the sex abuse coverups that went on for years in just about every religious/political organization the world around, you would not be surprised that just about all of the authoritative regimes of all stripes really don't care about abusive sexual behavior - and their coverup to to proclaim an oppressive sexual purity whom lesser mortal are expected to follow.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:41 pm

We are in a time in many parts of the world where there there is attempted reversals of many social changes by political and religious conservatives. LGTBQ's are among the targets, in particular Trans persons. In Russia this may be part of appeasement of the too powerful and important connections to the leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church being used by Putin and his party to keep in power. As others have noted, this is also tied to deeper cultural beliefs against LGTBQ's in Russia.

leader1

Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:03 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
leader1 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

For info the current ruling Russian party, Putin’s United Russia party, are in no way, shape or form Communist. They are a nationalistic Conservative party led by an authoritarian. The Russian Communist Party is oppressed and is a target of Putin’s thugs.

So the GOP is close to the ideology of Putin.

It’s very interesting and perhaps telling that you bring up the GOP into this equation and defend Russia’s Communist Party, but say nothing about LGBTQ rights going the wayside in Russia, which is the topic at hand. Just curious, but are you OK with Russia curtailing LGBTQ rights or is it only a problem if this happens in Western countries?

I only mentioned the GOP as someone had implied that the current Russian government was communist, which it clearly is not. And then also implied the United Russia and the GOP would not have much in common;, which actually they would. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen someone believe that Putin is a current member of the Communist party.

Whilst the GOP do not want to oppress LGBT rights to the extent of Putin just yet, they are seeking to roll back some LGBT rights as seen with Ted Cruz’s comments on gay marriage.

But yes this is a thread about Russian LGBT rights, obviously in a worse position than even the GOP are atm.

Again, are you concerned about the rollback of Russian LGBTQ rights? Because you're still obsessively focusing on the GOP, which has nothing to do with how Russia is treating their LGBTQ population. I still have yet to see you raise concern about the Russian LGBTQ population and the issues afflicting them.

Dogman

Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:59 pm

I see that there is still a lot of misconceptions about Russia lingering here. The Russian Communist party is not oppressed in Russia right now. There are no real political parties in Russia nowadays. Even United Russia is not a political party. It's an instrument for Putin and his inner circle to control Duma, Russian parliament. The Communist party and all other parties are just constructs to create a vision of a normal political life in Russia. They also are being controlled b the President's administration. And only the people who are totally ignorant about today's Russia can call the leaders of the Russian Orthodox Church powerful. The Russian Orthodox Church is just a branch of FSB, formerly KGB. It's been like that for the last 100 years.

LCDFlight

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:29 am

If the Russian government is hypersensitive about gayness, there must be a reason. What is it? Why do the regime’s thoughts dwell constantly on this subject? I know from life experience what it indicates, but I’m hoping somebody else
can answer (maybe an expert?).

art

Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:32 am

LCDFlight wrote:
If the Russian government is hypersensitive about gayness, there must be a reason. What is it? Why do the regime’s thoughts dwell constantly on this subject? I know from life experience what it indicates, but I’m hoping somebody else

Many countries are hypersensitive about gayness. Many religions have historically condemned homosexuality as unacceptable. Many societies still do. I believe that Russia is one such society. I imagine that most Russians are content to see moves to reduce tolerance of gay behaviour. I don't know if the Russian regime dwells constantly on the subject of homosexuality. I think that 'accusation' might be better levelled at North America and Europe, given the attention paid to gender and sexuality issues in those places.

eurotrader85

Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:02 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

Putin's party is a conservative-nationalistic regime and like all, in effect, one party regimes it needs support from the ignorant masses. Forget the educated liberal internationally outward looking people who want a forward looking society, they are a threat to a regime that needs to hold on to power and the masses of wealth privately squirrelled away by Putin and his cronies, e.g. Navalny-just lock him up-he's inconvenient when he speaks. When you want to blind people to the realities of their society you focus on hate and patriotism. Putin's support comes from those who want to believe that Russia 'is threatened by the west', 'still a great country' blah blah blah such as the uneducated and poor traditional grandmothers who are likely to still listen to the Orthodox church. Banging on the anti-LGBTQ+ drum just fits these people's narrative they can gobble up in old home values/hate/no change and thus misguided admiration for Putin for standing up for these things. Putin is a very clever politician, does he really sit there at night stewing over homosexuals like Hitler would have done? Nope. Not one minute. But he knows it's a nationalistic line he can exploit that makes those old women etc in the countryside stuck in the dark ages hold him in a light of admiration.

seb146

Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:54 pm

art wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Many countries are hypersensitive about gayness. Many religions have historically condemned homosexuality as unacceptable. Many societies still do. I believe that Russia is one such society. I imagine that most Russians are content to see moves to reduce tolerance of gay behaviour. I don't know if the Russian regime dwells constantly on the subject of homosexuality. I think that 'accusation' might be better levelled at North America and Europe, given the attention paid to gender and sexuality issues in those places.

North America and Europe "dwell" on homosexuality through the lens of "they exist, get over it" instead of Russian's lens of "gays are bad".

luckyone

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:08 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Putin's party is a conservative-nationalistic regime and like all, in effect, one party regimes it needs support from the ignorant masses. Forget the educated liberal internationally outward looking people who want a forward looking society, they are a threat to a regime that needs to hold on to power and the masses of wealth privately squirrelled away by Putin and his cronies, e.g. Navalny-just lock him up-he's inconvenient when he speaks. When you want to blind people to the realities of their society you focus on hate and patriotism. Putin's support comes from those who want to believe that Russia 'is threatened by the west', 'still a great country' blah blah blah such as the uneducated and poor traditional grandmothers who are likely to still listen to the Orthodox church. Banging on the anti-LGBTQ+ drum just fits these people's narrative they can gobble up in old home values/hate/no change and thus misguided admiration for Putin for standing up for these things. Putin is a very clever politician, does he really sit there at night stewing over homosexuals like Hitler would have done? Nope. Not one minute. But he knows it's a nationalistic line he can exploit that makes those old women etc in the countryside stuck in the dark ages hold him in a light of admiration.

I think it's more along the lines of it's easy to exploit quiet prejudices, and also use that as a warning shot to all who dare to not conform, rather than purely gaining support from the ignorant masses. The average Russian has never had any faith that they have a say in the government. They smile and nod, and think something entirely different.

Dutchy

Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:22 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

Eastern Europe is quite conservative and these moves by the Kremlin regime might be quite popular with some portion of the population. So indeed it might be a move to gain some popularity - even a dictatorship needs some popularity to stay in power - and might be a distraction from the economics and the bad news from the "special military operation". Or some more speculation might be a new scheme to detain some protesters and opponents to the regime under the umbrella of an offense of the LGBTQ "law".

scbriml

Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:47 pm

art wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

The lady doth protest too much syndrome.

It amuses me immensely that ultra-conservative Islamic regimes make men grow beards so as to dissuade "unnatural" thoughts. They obviously think the mere sight of a woman's face is enough to turn any man into a raging sex beast and the sight of a clean-shaven man enough to turn them all gay!

fallap

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:25 pm

At this stage modern Russia is less progressive than the Soviet Union were in the late 1980's...

fallap

Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:28 pm

AirframeAS wrote:

Talked to a dear Ukrainian friend of mine about the exact same topic. It has something to do with the Slavic idea of masculinity, as well as the cultural impact the massive losses of WW2 had on Russia, why everyone was supposed and expected to "do their part" to repopulate the country. He then told me that it is more socially accepted to turn gay, AFTER you have had kids.