Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ps762
Topic Author

Memorable Meals that really were better than the sum of their parts...

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:47 am

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this topic has been done many times and hope that this might come out ok and stuff and is ok being a poll of sorts. But anyway having recently asked about airport meals in the Aviation Hobby section I was still thinking of food but maybe non-airport meals more? So I guess my question is about any meals or dining or even coffee or drinking experiences which might be remembered for really being unique or better-than-good.

And for me I guess 3 come to mind from past travels:

1. Maybe in 1994 whilst driving through France with a friend and his parents. We stopped at an AA hotel in the countryside probably in middle or middle-South France. There were few guests and certainly not a 5 star place intypical terms but the meal they made us was really excellent. I mean even being young and not liking cheese much I couldn't say no to the cheese board after(!)

2. A meal I had with my brother after arriving at night in Assisi in Italy in 2001 maybe in Winter. A cellar restaurant with a simple steak and red wine maybe after the day on the train and bus.

3. A lunch meal of maybe Rosti in Switzerland whilst midway on my own on the Sion-Serre cycle path in Switzerland in maybe 2010 or 2011. Again I was pretty much alone and outside but the medeival castle-like place totally out of town and fields and fresh air definitely created something more than just the sum of it's parts (for me anyway!).

Anyway hope this might work and to be honest I could probably go on for ages with cafes and other experiences that I remember but maybe I should leave it there but any further thoughts or experiences or reccommendations would be welcome if any come to mind.

Anyway with many thanks again for any input (or reading my thoughts at least!),

Ps762

ACDC8

Re: Memorable Meals that really were better than the sum of their parts...

Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:05 am

Sitting at GRO waiting to board our flight to BEV, had my first Bocadillo with Jamón and cheese - wow, just wow.

Later that night, sometime past midnight after checking into the hotel in Paris, found a little brasserie that served some sort of vegetable soup, when they brought it to your table, the server would crack a quails egg and let it poach in the broth - just amazing.

Being a burger guy, my first time at Bobby's Burger Palace - never been a big fan of Bobby Flay but man, can he make a mean burger - had the Brunch Burger and to this day, still the best burger I've ever had.

Best breakfast I've ever had was one of the simplest - there used to be a small cafe one town over from where I used to live and they served the best bacon, egg, hash browns and toast - no secret recipe or anything fancy, just all farm fresh and cooked in pure butter. Plus the price of $3 was impossible to beat.

When I was younger, I always ate my steak well done (I know, for shame lol). My dad and I took a trip through Arizona one year, we stopped off at some steakhouse and the waiter asked how I wanted my steak, I told him well done and he said medium rare it is. I said, no well done, and he said OK, medium rare. He actually brought the steak medium rare and needles to say, it literally changed my life lol.

But the most memorable meals were always Sunday dinners at my moms - when it came to good old fashioned home cooked German comfort foods, no one made them better than my mom - what I wouldn't give to have one more meal like that.

Jalap

Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:02 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
When I was younger, I always ate my steak well done (I know, for shame lol). My dad and I took a trip through Arizona one year, we stopped off at some steakhouse and the waiter asked how I wanted my steak, I told him well done and he said medium rare it is. I said, no well done, and he said OK, medium rare. He actually brought the steak medium rare and needles to say, it literally changed my life lol.

Brilliant!
I had a similar experience, when I was young with my parents in Paris. I ordered steak and said "bien cuit" (well done). The waiter said "dommage" (a shame).
Ever since that moment, I order "saignant" (rare).
Everybody's got to learn how to eat steak :)

As for other moments when meals are better than the sum of their parts mostly are moments when I'm exhausted and hungry after hiking or some other activity that is all but comfortable and you finally get to sit down and eat. Someting like canned ravioli can taste like heaven!

cjg225

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:18 pm

Beefmastor in Wilson, NC.

My second rotation in my rotational program when I started at my current job was at one of our plants in North Carolina. My parents drove down for my birthday. I honestly didn't know a lot about restaurants in the area, which is rural North Carolina east of Raleigh. My mom found this place called Beefmastor online, which sounded like a steak place. That was fine by me, so we went.

What an experience. First of all, it's basically about the size of a double-wide trailer in the parking lot of an abandoned motel. You go inside and it's tiny. There's a small counter, a kitchen in the back, and seating for maybe 30 people tops, with the tables covered in that stereotypical red-and-white checkered plasticized tablecloth. There's no menu. They bring a slab of raw ribeye to your table and gesture with a knife to ask you how much you want. "This is basically 6 ounces, this is basically 8, this is basically 10, etc." You say how much you want, they cut it right there at the table, ask you how you want it cooked, and that's it. If you want wine they say they've got red and white. If you want beer they've got a couple different ones. They have Coke and Pepsi. If you want salad, there's a bowl on a table nearby with some greens and some salad dressings next to it.

But, man, what a meal. The ribeye comes out with a baked potato and some Texas toast. I've never had such an amazing steak before. Pure perfection. When we leave, we see there's a huge line. Apparently people basically come and tailgate outside the place until there's a spot available or their reservation is up. It's a local institution.

My dad, of course, starts chatting up the staff. He finds out that they get very high-quality steaks from the Chicago meat markets every week or so. Expensive, but worth it. He asks if they would be willing to sell us a tenderloin, which they say, sure, just come by and they'll sell us one that is still in the vacuum pack it arrived in. So, a few weeks later I am moving back to Pennsylvania. I drop by and buy a 13.5 lb tenderloin. Set me back about $250, but that is comparatively cheap considering how much that'd cost if you had individual steaks from that. It barely fit into this Styrofoam cooler I bought and filled with ice. I had to tape the thing around because I was worried it'd burst open from the tenderloin and the ice. I drove that up to PA. We gave 4 lbs to family members who run a restaurant, and the remainder was our annual Christmas roast, which was amazing. The leftovers also made the best hot open-faced beef sandwiches in history.

phatfarmlines

Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:40 pm

Le Relais de Venise in Paris.

What a great experience for steak frites, and double portions too!

I see they also have a location in Manhattan now.

QF7

Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:32 pm

At Commander’s Palace in New Orleans a number of years back they served a bowl of soup made with truffles and morels that was so good I seriously contemplated cancelling my main course and ordering a second bowl of soup. Forget the sum of the parts of that meal - just the one part was one of the most memorable things I have ever eaten.

cpd

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 am

At the beer garden near the ski-jump in Innsbruck (might have been Gasthaus Bretterkeller), just a good old fashioned schnitzel dish, huge portions and nice beer at very reasonable price. Perfect for us jet-lagged cyclists who had gone Sydney-Dubai-Munich then got the Deutsche-Bahn train down from Munich to Innsbruck. Then we went back to our hotel and slept the night and went out up the big climb on the world-championship course.

I have to say I really like Innsbruck, I spent quite a while there doing normal things you might do if you were living there and I could easily be happy there.

Ps762
Topic Author

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:44 am

Hi (again thanks!),

So just I guess to say a quick many thanks for all the inputs. And with all the talk of quality steaks and stuff I will definitely try and maybe forward this page onto my brother. He would hopefully well understand(!)

But also some interesting European inputs too I think so many thanks for those as well. And although I remember the special ones I do also remember having a (pretty nice to be honest!) McDonalds at GRO (landside maybe) and in France as a kind of offshoot of my childhood a favourite place I like to eat is still the chain Flunch? A steak hache done "a point" (medium-rare?) with an Orangina Light and as many fries and veg as you want for like 5 Euros? Even now I'm like 45 they still have me sold on that when in their hypermarches or when on the autoroutes!

Anyway with many thanks again from here again thanks,

Ps762

cpd

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:40 am

Another one I liked was Stiftskeller (Stiftgasse 1-7, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria). Although they weren't too interested when just two of us arrived, when I explained 40 people would soon be arriving they got an army of staff together to get everything prepared quickly. Food was great, large portions and the service quite good.

"Mamma mia" on Kiebachgasse is another one we liked for lunch, we went back multiple times. Nice pizza and very friendly owner. :)

Another city, Alpe D'Huez in France, recommend "Au Trappeur" an American themed place, good burgers. La Grange à Pizza in Courchevel also not bad, but huge wait when I was there (a lot of people arrived in the town at same time).

OzarkD9S

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Bread (cold), baloney (cold), american cheese (cold), spaghetti-o's with meatballs (hot), bread (cold). In that order.

casinterest

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:14 pm

Campbell's Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese Sandwich , must be buttered with salted butter and American Cheese,

Followed with a desert of southern banana pudding( nilla wafers in banana pudding with extra sugar, and whip cream topping).

Ps762
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:12 am

cpd wrote:
Another one I liked was Stiftskeller (Stiftgasse 1-7, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria). Although they weren't too interested when just two of us arrived, when I explained 40 people would soon be arriving they got an army of staff together to get everything prepared quickly. Food was great, large portions and the service quite good.

"Mamma mia" on Kiebachgasse is another one we liked for lunch, we went back multiple times. Nice pizza and very friendly owner. :)

Another city, Alpe D'Huez in France, recommend "Au Trappeur" an American themed place, good burgers. La Grange à Pizza in Courchevel also not bad, but huge wait when I was there (a lot of people arrived in the town at same time).

Hi (again thanks!),

Just to say I guess many thanks also for the further replies and hopefully more stuff for me to check out at least online so many thanks again. And maybe just a few small further points if anyone is curious (maybe not!):

1. I think from my travels in Europe one kinda interesting topic could be the American-themed restaurants which can pop up along the way? For example there is (or was) a chain in France called Buffalo Grill which were kind of like steak barns throughout France? And in Le Touquet a small resort in the North there was a place on the High Street near the sea with a more-than-distinct Harley Davidson theme that my brother liked. Not to mention the branch of Hooters that I went to a couple of times in Interlaken (Switzerland). I'm not sure if it's still there but it seemed pretty nice with sports on TV, a nice semi-outdoor setting and casual food and drink in a place to cool off in the evenings.

2. Similarly whilst also hiking one summer in a place called Grindelwald in the Swiss Bernese Oberland I was staying at a youth hostel there. And I would often spend evenings pouring over maps for my next day with a similarly-minded man from Manhattan/NY. He was hiking too and awaiting his partner's arrival but would tell me of their love of restaurant exploring in New York. Nice guy, big into food but equally at home trying out a pastry at the local Grindelwald festival.

3. And finally maybe just a short shout-out to a place that I used to like closer to where I live in the UK. Although quite a high-end area there was a really nice and reasonable French crepe place in South Kensington not far from the tube station we used to go to quite a bit. Quite small but clean and often students there. But really nice fresh salads and savoury and sweet crepes made up in the window. Ah good memories (but sorry again!)...

Anyway with many thanks again only apologies for going a bit off topic now into nostalgia.

Anyway with many thanks again,

Ps762

ACDC8

Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:26 am

casinterest wrote:
Campbell's Tomato Soup, Grilled Cheese Sandwich , must be buttered with salted butter and American Cheese,

You ever try mayo or Miracle Whip instead of butter for the grilled cheese? I prefer butter myself, I'm a purist, but every person I've made one for using mayo or Miracle Whip swears by that method now. Yes sir, grilled cheese made with Wonder Bread, Kraft Singles (cut diagonally) and Campbells Tomato Soup (made with milk, not water) - doesn't get much better that that on a cold winter day.

casinterest

Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:55 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

You ever try mayo or Miracle Whip instead of butter for the grilled cheese? I prefer butter myself, I'm a purist, but every person I've made one for using mayo or Miracle Whip swears by that method now. Yes sir, grilled cheese made with Wonder Bread, Kraft Singles (cut diagonally) and Campbells Tomato Soup (made with milk, not water) - doesn't get much better that that on a cold winter day.

I stick with salted butter on wheat or honey wheat bread. Good meals thought

cjg225

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:39 pm

Unsalted butter only. If I need salt, I'll add it myself rather than have it in the butter already.