Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dutchy
Topic Author

Lake Mead, 3rd body found and low water

Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:15 pm

Hit international headlines: 3rd body discovered in Lake Mead (the reservoir of the Hoover Dam, NV).

A third set of human remains was recovered from Lake Mead on Monday, thanks to a drought that has pushed the water level at the largest reservoir in the United States to an unprecedented low.

Washingtonpost article

Although finding a body is shocking in itself, the most shocking thing is how low this reservoir is at the moment. it is only holding less than 30% of its max capacity or almost 60meters (200feet) below max capacity. Given that this reservoir is the water source for millions and is producing electricity, that is a worrying prospect for the future.

johns624

Re: Lake Mead, 3rd body found and low water

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:06 pm

I love living in the Midwest, only 20 miles from the nearest Great Lake. We have all the water we need.

LCDFlight

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:23 pm

So far, the experiment about giving farmers free access to water to irrigate the desert hasn’t been a success. It is almost like laws are sometimes needed, or else farmers would fritter away all the water in vast, water scarce areas of the US, and people would have no water to drink. Oh well, blessed be. Thoughts and prayers.

johns624

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:26 pm

All these years of being derided for living in the Rust Belt and Flyover Country has just left me with little empathy for them.

TSS

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:17 pm

The most shocking thing about the story is that they've only found three bodies, at least so far. Suspected mob hits aside, I'd have expected more random drowning victims whose bodies had never been recovered to have been found by now.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:00 am

It is possible the found human remains as Lake Mead recedes may not be only dumped organized criminals work but could also be drownings, suicides, people who fell out of boats too.
More important is the collapse of the lake and why. Clearly the use for agriculture has long been unsustainable and it is collapsing. Long term low rain and snow levels, excessive demand, dams, political deals, private property rights are all parts of the problem.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 am

Hundreds of thousands moving into the desert.
Building agriculture sites in the desert.
Building golf course after golf course in the desert.
Having next to a non existent water management plan that isn't enforced in the desert.
And people are surprised a man made lake in the middle of the desert is drying up? I'm struggling to understand how this is even news.

The problem has been known for decades and nothing has been done about it, no surprise there. Last I remember reading, St. George Utah was one if not the worst offender of hoarding up the water supply.

As far as the bodies found, its Vegas baby - be a good addition to the Mob Museum.

GDB

Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:03 am

johns624 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Nope, not bitter at all. When you move to the desert and then complain that you don't have enough water, it's hard to feel sympathy.

In a previous thread I recounted watching the doco "Where did the Colorado Go?" which explored the overuse of the waters for irrigation leaving little or none for downstream communiites.

"Where did the Colorado go?" was released in 1970.

There has been half a century since to successfully address the issue, with little or no improvement.

Australia has a similar but not quite as drastic experience with its Murray-Darling river system> Even wehre agreements have been reached on allocation there has often been further argument. High volume pumps to extract for on-farm storage are a paricularly thorny issue. Recent flooding has provided some small breathing space.
This is why it's gotten so bad. Using the website http://www.macrotrends.net, here are how the 3 biggest metro areas in the desert Southwest have grown since 1970. Phoenix went from 874,000 to 4,652,000. Las Vegas from 240,000 to 2,839,000 and Tucson from 297,000 to 1,003,000.

I get the feeling that the 1974 fiction movie ‘Chinatown’, even then set in the past, had a core basis in reality and even being prescient?

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:07 am

Dutchy wrote:
Hit international headlines: 3rd body discovered in Lake Mead (the reservoir of the Hoover Dam, NV).

A third set of human remains was recovered from Lake Mead on Monday, thanks to a drought that has pushed the water level at the largest reservoir in the United States to an unprecedented low.

Washingtonpost article

Although finding a body is shocking in itself, the most shocking thing is how low this reservoir is at the moment. it is only holding less than 30% of its max capacity or almost 60meters (200feet) below max capacity. Given that this reservoir is the water source for millions and is producing electricity, that is a worrying prospect for the future.

Makes you wonder why people are living there when it’s not sustainable.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:15 am

Kiwirob wrote:

It is sustainable, if they would put the water management strategy into action. I seem to recall reading that the Feds having recently given the States a deadline to come up with a sustainable plan and adhere to it and if not, the Federal Government will step in.

Surprisingly, Vegas itself is one of the lowest users of the reservoir despite being right next to it and all the resorts, but apparently they've really adapted creative ways of water conservation.

ReverseFlow

Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:53 am

My first thought was '"Does the body have concrete around the feet"....
Surely the desert or the lake would have been prefered spots of mobsters to get rid of bodies around Vegas?

But yes, could just be a drowned person. Or do you bloat up and float when you drown?

Dutchy
Topic Author

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:19 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

It is sustainable, if they would put the water management strategy into action. I seem to recall reading that the Feds having recently given the States a deadline to come up with a sustainable plan and adhere to it and if not, the Federal Government will step in.

Surprisingly, Vegas itself is one of the lowest users of the reservoir despite being right next to it and all the resorts, but apparently they've really adapted creative ways of water conservation.

putting multi-million people in the middle of the desert, with huge power consumption and huge water demand, is by definition not sustainable. Good for them that they have found ways to limit the demand, but calling that sustainable is a bridge or two too far.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:48 am

Dutchy wrote:
putting multi-million people in the middle of the desert, with huge power consumption and huge water demand, is by definition not sustainable. Good for them that they have found ways to limit the demand, but calling that sustainable is a bridge or two too far.

Yet Southern Nevada managed to reduce their water consumption by over 25% in the last 20 years despite adding almost a million people in the same time span and they're reducing it more every year. Water management has come a long way and sustainability isn't an unrealistic possibility.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:58 am

ReverseFlow wrote:
Surely the desert or the lake would have been prefered spots of mobsters to get rid of bodies around Vegas?

But yes, could just be a drowned person. Or do you bloat up and float when you drown?

IIRC, the first body they found was in a barrel.

ReverseFlow

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:25 am

ACDC8 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

IIRC, the first body they found was in a barrel.
That confirmed my stereotypes then

bpatus297

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:27 am

TSS wrote:
The most shocking thing about the story is that they've only found three bodies, at least so far. Suspected mob hits aside, I'd have expected more random drowning victims whose bodies had never been recovered to have been found by now.

I was just thinking the same thing, I'm surprised its only three bodies.

ReverseFlow

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:29 am

bpatus297 wrote:
TSS wrote:

I was just thinking the same thing, I'm surprised its only three bodies.
Perhaps most are in the deepest parts.

bpatus297

Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:39 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yet Southern Nevada managed to reduce their water consumption by over 25% in the last 20 years despite adding almost a million people in the same time span and they're reducing it more every year. Water management has come a long way and sustainability isn't an unrealistic possibility.

Tucson has done great things with water conservation. Most, if not all of the water used comes from the aquifer and it is has risen since 1998. There is a stark difference when driving around Tucson and Phoenix. Phoenix has grass all over the place and lots of lush vegetation. There seems to be grass in the front and back yards of tons of Phoenix houses. Tucson uses mostly desert landscaping with very little grass (golf courses and parks being the outliers). There are rules in Tucson that make it against regulations to put grass in the front yard (its usually all gravel for those who are unaware), and most Tucsonans have moved to artificial turf in their backyards. Tucson isn't perfect, but they are definitely trying to make the city sustainable.

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:17 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yet Lake Mead, Lake Powell and other reservoirs water levels are still falling. The Colorado River Basin is in crisis, it can’t sustain the requirements of the surrounding communities.

jetwet1

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:20 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

As pointed out, through desert cities are not where the issue is, look at the farmers, then the consumers who want cheap fresh fruit and veg.

You also have to look at the choice of store water in Powell instead of Mead, yes Mead had a lot more to give before there were issues, but Powell loses a lot of water to the ground (not a bad thing in wet times) because the ground its built on is very porose.

As to the power, Hoover dam doesn't supply Vegas, the power goes to So Cal.

johns624

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:33 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
As to the power, Hoover dam doesn't supply Vegas, the power goes to So Cal.
It started out that way, but not anymore. Almost half is used by Arizona and Nevada.
https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... important/

LCDFlight

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:44 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Yet Lake Mead, Lake Powell and other reservoirs water levels are still falling. The Colorado River Basin is in crisis, it can’t sustain the requirements of the surrounding communities.

85% of water use in the Colorado River Basin is agriculture.

https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/wate ... -water-use

There is this concern that water issues are caused by large cities, but as far as I can tell, it’s not true. the evidence shows that irrigating the desert is the issue. And farmers make money by watering plants using federal water in areas of abundant sunshine. so of course, they are unwilling to stop. due to legal mistakes during settlement of the West, farmers have reason to believe they have personal right to the water, even if Phoenix and Los Angeles run dry. And those farmers control A LOT of US Senators.

Bottom line, there is plenty of water, but it is not quite infinite. Controls need to be introduced where there are none. What you should expect instead is gaslighting,
Misdirection and false narratives that children (probably minority children) in Los Angeles drank all the water. The farmers will go on irrigating and the water crisis will continue.

skyservice_330

Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:54 pm

ltbewr wrote:
It is possible the found human remains as Lake Mead recedes may not be only dumped organized criminals work but could also be drownings, suicides, people who fell out of boats too.
More important is the collapse of the lake and why. Clearly the use for agriculture has long been unsustainable and it is collapsing. Long term low rain and snow levels, excessive demand, dams, political deals, private property rights are all parts of the problem.

Is swimming permitted in the Lake? Boating?

While mob hits could certainly be the cause, others are also possible. In Toronto / Southern Ontario it isn’t uncommon, in early spring when Lake Ontario is thawing, for a few bodies to wash up on shores and in marinas. I used to do business with a marina in downtown Toronto and you would often hear stories about a poor summer student making an unfortunate discovery in April/May when opening things up. From what I gather, most of the time attributed to suicides, drownings or boating incidents in the preceding summer / fall and the hadn’t been found or discovered before the winter.

vikkyvik

Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:33 pm

GDB wrote:
I get the feeling that the 1974 fiction movie ‘Chinatown’, even then set in the past, had a core basis in reality and even being prescient?

It was, in fact, based on reality. Specifically, the California Water Wars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_water_wars

LittleFokker

Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:23 pm

skyservice_330 wrote:

While mob hits could certainly be the cause, others are also possible. In Toronto / Southern Ontario it isn’t uncommon, in early spring when Lake Ontario is thawing, for a few bodies to wash up on shores and in marinas. I used to do business with a marina in downtown Toronto and you would often hear stories about a poor summer student making an unfortunate discovery in April/May when opening things up. From what I gather, most of the time attributed to suicides, drownings or boating incidents in the preceding summer / fall and the hadn’t been found or discovered before the winter.

Not sure if it still is due to the water level, but when the lake was full, boating was very popular (did so myself on a few occasions) and people did swim in the lake (usually off the boat). There were a couple of spots around the lake labelled "beaches" but the sand/heat were of poor quality so there were not treated the way most people treated beaches. I can recall a couple of boat launches which may no longer be usable due to the current water line.

Aesma

Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:49 pm

johns624 wrote:
All these years of being derided for living in the Rust Belt and Flyover Country has just left me with little empathy for them.

The ones doing the deriding and flyovering aren't the ones depleting the water.

seb146

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:38 pm

Instead of blaming people who want to eat, why not talk about climate? Less snow in the mountains means less water behind dams. The Earth is warming. Science has proven that.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/u ... hat%20rate.

Now, about the bodies: what if one of them is Hoffa?

Kiwirob

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:41 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

85% of water use in the Colorado River Basin is agriculture.

https://www.usgs.gov/mission-areas/wate ... -water-use

There is this concern that water issues are caused by large cities, but as far as I can tell, it’s not true. the evidence shows that irrigating the desert is the issue. And farmers make money by watering plants using federal water in areas of abundant sunshine. so of course, they are unwilling to stop. due to legal mistakes during settlement of the West, farmers have reason to believe they have personal right to the water, even if Phoenix and Los Angeles run dry. And those farmers control A LOT of US Senators.

Bottom line, there is plenty of water, but it is not quite infinite. Controls need to be introduced where there are none. What you should expect instead is gaslighting,
Misdirection and false narratives that children (probably minority children) in Los Angeles drank all the water. The farmers will go on irrigating and the water crisis will continue.

When you allow farmers to grow water intensive crops like Almonds in a desert what do you expect. This is abject stupidity IMO.

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:03 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
things with water conservation. Most, if not all of the water used comes from the aquifer and it is has risen since 1998. There is a stark difference when driving around Tucson and Phoenix. Phoenix has grass all over the place and lots of lush vegetation. There seems to be grass in the front and back yards of tons of Phoenix houses. Tucson uses mostly desert landscaping with very little grass (golf courses and parks being the outliers). There are rules in Tucson that make it against regulations to put grass in the front yard (its usually all gravel for those who are unaware), and most Tucsonans have moved to artificial turf in their backyards. Tucson isn't perfect, but they are definitely trying to make the city sustainable.

I haven't been to either city for a number of years (other than the airport in PHX) but yeah, I remember that about Tuscon. Always loved the way people would rock landscape their properties, gave it a real cool desert vibe to it. It started to became a bit of a trend in the Okanagan Valley where I grew up a number of years ago.
Kiwirob wrote:

Poor water management and lack of enforcement of the existing water management plan is a big problem. Some communities are playing by the rules, some going steps above and others are draining the reservoirs because they just don't care and that's a big part of the problem. Had all communities drawing water followed examples of other communities in water conversation, the situation wouldn't be where it is today.

John Oliver did a pretty good bit about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtxew5XUVbQ

Kiwirob wrote:
When you allow farmers to grow water intensive crops like Almonds in a desert what do you expect. This is abject stupidity IMO.

Yup lol.

NIKV69

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:23 pm

Dutchy wrote:
the most shocking thing is how low this reservoir is at the moment. it is only holding less than 30% of its max capacity or almost 60meters (200feet) below max capacity. Given that this reservoir is the water source for millions and is producing electricity, that is a worrying prospect for the future.

I love in Clark county Nevada. I am doing my snow dance now for the whole winter. I want 30 feet of snow in the Rockies!

ACDC8

Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:58 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:

Not sure if it still is due to the water level, but when the lake was full, boating was very popular (did so myself on a few occasions) and people did swim in the lake (usually off the boat). There were a couple of spots around the lake labelled "beaches" but the sand/heat were of poor quality so there were not treated the way most people treated beaches. I can recall a couple of boat launches which may no longer be usable due to the current water line.

Haven't been down there since summer of 2019 with the pandemic and all, but even back then, that lake was full of boaters.

Vintage

Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:20 am

GDB wrote:

Most people in California see it as a documentary.

Francoflier

Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:14 am

NIKV69 wrote:
I love in Clark county Nevada. I am doing my snow dance now for the whole winter. I want 30 feet of snow in the Rockies!

I'm afraid it's going to take a lot more than a snow dance to fix that...

TSS

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:01 am

It turns out this third set of remains might be the most puzzling. According to the news report it does appear to be partial human remains, but it also appears to have been coated all over in a layer of... Wax? Plastic?

News Report (warning- graphic images)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HMh9KaxEaM

I'm looking forward to some sort of explanation on this one.

johns624

Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:46 am

It appears the lack of water is partially caused by the residents themselves. They have some of the highest domestic water use in the country. Check out the map in this link. Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Idaho have the highest water use in the country.
https://www.epa.gov/watersense/how-we-u ... ommunities

JJJ

Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:21 am

johns624 wrote:
It appears the lack of water is partially caused by the residents themselves. They have some of the highest domestic water use in the country. Check out the map in this link. Nevada, Arizona, Utah and Idaho have the highest water use in the country.

People and HOAs love their lawns and there are climates where thick green grass is totally foreign.

jetwet1

Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:06 am

JJJ wrote:
johns624 wrote:

People and HOAs love their lawns and there are climates where thick green grass is totally foreign.

What that map doesn't show in the case of Nevada is how much of the water used is returned to the system.

As has been said a few times in this thread, Las Vegas is now taking less water than 20 years ago and is returning more that it uses back into the system.

ACDC8

Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:57 am

From what I've read, Utah seems to be one of the biggest drainers of the of the basin taking up more than they're legally entitled to and St. George being one of the worst offenders.

Had cities and States stuck to how much water they're allotted, the basin wouldn't be as bad as it is now.

But hey, lets build a few more golf courses or almond orchards into the middle of the desert - what could possibly go wrong with that?

johns624

Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:31 am

jetwet1 wrote:
JJJ wrote:
johns624 wrote:

What that map doesn't show in the case of Nevada is how much of the water used is returned to the system.

As has been said a few times in this thread, Las Vegas is now taking less water than 20 years ago and is returning more that it uses back into the system.
Do you have links to back that up? My link was from the EPA. I know Las Vegas was a magical place but how do they create water by returning back into the system more than they use?