Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Election deniers seek Secretary of State

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:48 pm

Election deniers are running for Secretary of State across the nation, which is the office that oversees elections. Some have openly said that official interference in an election is justified if fraud is suspected.

Deniers have won primaries in Alabama, Nevada, Indiana, Michigan, and New Mexico. Arizona primary is August 2nd, has two deniers in contention.

These people should be considered crackpots and quacks, given that no evidence exists for election fraud. Their presence as Secretary of State could impact elections, if they were to yield to demands from Trump to find or decertify votes, as ocurred in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/29/11137077 ... na-finchem

casinterest

Re: Election deniers seek Secretary of State

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:40 pm

Election deniers will win in places that have some very warped views of America. Alabama, Indiana seem like locks. However I would believe the rest will ultimately reject the ignorant group, Especially as more in your face campaign ads start running this fall.

ReverseFlow

Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:44 pm

I do find it interesting, to say the least, that a secretary of state can be voted in, who could say that election results of people who voted him/her in aren't valid.

Of course their election was all 100% legit.

casinterest

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:08 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
I do find it interesting, to say the least, that a secretary of state can be voted in, who could say that election results of people who voted him/her in aren't valid.

But of course. "It was the other races where my cronies/buddies didn't win that were invalid".

seb146

Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:40 pm

casinterest wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

But of course. "It was the other races where my cronies/buddies didn't win that were invalid".

There is a question election deniers can not ever seem to answer:

In my life, I have voted in three different states in different elections. Each ballot is one piece of paper. Some elections have just one race, other elections have several. But, they are all on one piece of paper. How in the world can a ballot be invalid for one candidate but not the rest of the races? They want to throw out a ballot because one candidate won but still want to keep the results of all the other races. How does that work?

casinterest

Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:23 pm

seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

In my life, I have voted in three different states in different elections. Each ballot is one piece of paper. Some elections have just one race, other elections have several. But, they are all on one piece of paper. How in the world can a ballot be invalid for one candidate but not the rest of the races? They want to throw out a ballot because one candidate won but still want to keep the results of all the other races. How does that work?

Because Woke Liberals are much smarter and much more clever than the GOP. That would be my answer :)

art

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:04 pm

Election deniers are running for Secretary of State across the nation, which is the office that oversees elections. Some have openly said that official interference in an election is justified if fraud is suspected.

Deniers have won primaries in Alabama, Nevada, Indiana, Michigan, and New Mexico. Arizona primary is August 2nd, has two deniers in contention.

Sad to hear. Any election result which does not accord with their desired outcome will be deemed suspicious of fraud, won't it? Where does that leave electors (I mean citizens who voted) if the 'wrong' result can be brought into question and set aside through politicisation of the apolitical office of Secretary of State? There would not be any point in holding elections if such corruption could thwart their outcome, would there?
Last edited by art on Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:10 pm

art wrote:
Sad to hear. Any election result which does not accord with their desired outcome will be deemed suspicious of fraud, won't it? Where does that leave electors (I mean citizens who voted) if the 'wrong' result can be brought into question and set aside though politicisation of the apolitical office of Secretary of State? There would not be any point in holding elections if such corruption could thwart their outcome, would there?

That is the concern everyone has. The contradiction here is very great. They don't trust elections but they want to be in charge of them. And their definition of trust is entirely subjective, as in did we win, being the primary criterion for free and fair elections.

It boggles the mind that anyone, even extreme right conservatives, would vote for these people. Even if they lose, they will claim the election was stolen. Anyone who makes any such claim, without substantial evidence, very obviously cannot be put in a position of authority over any election. Period.

Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Because Woke Liberals are much smarter and much more clever than the GOP. That would be my answer :)

This is why the election fraud conspiracy theories have to be so elaborate, and why the voting machines are involved. As the My Pillow guy said, the machines were compromised in such a way as to register Trump votes as votes for Biden. This is varyingly attributed to the Chinese, the South Americans, the Dominion voting machines vendor, or a vast web of conspirators that visited large numbers of polling places with WiFi infiltrators. These in turn were coordinated by a central command that monitored election results and ensured that Biden stayed ahead.

That's the extent of imagination required, to explain that the Presidential election was compromised, but not other federal, state, or local elections. Reasoning skills have to be substantially compromised, to accept any of this.

casinterest

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:47 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

This is why the election fraud conspiracy theories have to be so elaborate, and why the voting machines are involved. As the My Pillow guy said, the machines were compromised in such a way as to register Trump votes as votes for Biden. This is varyingly attributed to the Chinese, the South Americans, the Dominion voting machines vendor, or a vast web of conspirators that visited large numbers of polling places with WiFi infiltrators. These in turn were coordinated by a central command that monitored election results and ensured that Biden stayed ahead.

That's the extent of imagination required, to explain that the Presidential election was compromised, but not other federal, state, or local elections. Reasoning skills have to be substantially compromised, to accept any of this.

To get the candidates we are talking about, Reasoning skills, are a hindrance.

That is probably the scariest part of all of this. Voting for those that hate Government will lead us to having a Government that does not function. Which will unravel any version of America that anyone deems great.

SL1200MK2

Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:54 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Well, to be fair, they’re the ones calling the folks on the left “elite”. They’re proud of their stupidity

apodino

Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:42 pm

Its not just secretary of state, but the PA GOP has nominated an Election Denier for the gubernatorial race. And the sad thing is the Democrats helped them do it, pouring millions of dollars in to make sure that Doug Mastriano was the nominee. It may work as Shapiro is leading in the polls but I don't like this strategy at all. The issue is by doing this, you run the risk that the nutcase will actually get elected. We saw this happen in 2016 and it got us Donald Trump as president. And the Dems are doing this in multiple places. Please be careful what you wish for Dems, it just may come back to bite you.

Topic Author

Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:18 pm

apodino wrote:
Its not just secretary of state, but the PA GOP has nominated an Election Denier for the gubernatorial race. And the sad thing is the Democrats helped them do it, pouring millions of dollars in to make sure that Doug Mastriano was the nominee. It may work as Shapiro is leading in the polls but I don't like this strategy at all. The issue is by doing this, you run the risk that the nutcase will actually get elected. We saw this happen in 2016 and it got us Donald Trump as president. And the Dems are doing this in multiple places. Please be careful what you wish for Dems, it just may come back to bite you.

It's important to understand the Democrats' ad spending strategy. They don't endorse or advocate for these right-wing candidates, rather they criticize them for being too extreme and too conservative. Knowing those labels are like catnip to conservative voters, and anathema to liberal voters. So it invigorates the base on both sides, and discourages moderate candidates that might be harder to defeat.

If the strategy fails and conservatives choose the moderate Republican, then even though the race becomes more difficult for the Democrat, at least the Republican candidate is more acceptable if elected.

Thus it's viewed as win-win, either we get the Democrat or a more moderate Republican. But of course the losing case is that the Republican base is so deranged that they elect the extremist. In that case, the Democrats did what they could to stop it. I don't know that there is any defense for that outcome, except to mobilize the liberal base to the greatest possible extent.

ER757

Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:30 pm

art wrote:

Sad to hear. Any election result which does not accord with their desired outcome will be deemed suspicious of fraud, won't it? Where does that leave electors (I mean citizens who voted) if the 'wrong' result can be brought into question and set aside through politicisation of the apolitical office of Secretary of State? There would not be any point in holding elections if such corruption could thwart their outcome, would there?

Yep, the US is getting more and more like a Banana Republic every day. It would be funny if it weren't so scary

910A

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:42 am

Arizona primary is August 2nd, has two deniers in contention.
These people should be considered crackpots and quacks, given that no evidence exists for election fraud. Their presence as Secretary of State could impact elections, if they were to yield to demands from Trump to find or decertify votes, as ocurred in 2020.

https://www.npr.org/2022/07/29/11137077 ... na-finchem

The Republican Primary polls that were released today for Arizona, shows all of Trump endorsed candidates for Governor, Sec of State, and Attorney General are well ahead in each of their races. Wackos all of them. Michigan would you please ask Sec of State candidate Mark Finchem to return to his native state...After seeing him to his thing in the state legislature, I can say he doesn't have both oars in the water...

sierrakilo44

Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:24 am

ER757 wrote:
Yep, the US is getting more and more like a Banana Republic every day. It would be funny if it weren't so scary

The US was demoted (by the EIU’s Institue which monitors democracies around the world) to a “flawed” country several years ago. Before Trump tried to overturn an election.

You think it’s bad now? Wait until the Supreme Court rules on Moore vs Harper, which would throw out any notion of constitutional governance and allow a simple gerrymandered majority in a state legislature to permanently enshrine itself there, and throw out votes on a whim for no reason and with no oversight from the courts.

In other words a legal dictatorship.

seb146

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:12 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ER757 wrote:

The US was demoted (by the EIU’s Institue which monitors democracies around the world) to a “flawed” country several years ago. Before Trump tried to overturn an election.

You think it’s bad now? Wait until the Supreme Court rules on Moore vs Harper, which would throw out any notion of constitutional governance and allow a simple gerrymandered majority in a state legislature to permanently enshrine itself there, and throw out votes on a whim for no reason and with no oversight from the courts.

In other words a legal dictatorship.

Wouldn't it be interesting if SCOTUS did that while a Democrat were in power? How delicious that would be to see the MAGA plan backfire on them? To give the people affordable health care, affordable education, affordable housing under a Democrat? Oh, the irony!!

sierrakilo44

Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:37 am

seb146 wrote:

Wouldn't it be interesting if SCOTUS did that while a Democrat were in power? How delicious that would be to see the MAGA plan backfire on them? To give the people affordable health care, affordable education, affordable housing under a Democrat? Oh, the irony!!

The problem is gerrymandering advantages the GOP far more than the Democrats. Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Georgia and Arizona had more votes for democrats than republicans in the legislature but due to gerrymandering the GOP controlled all those legislatures.

The effect of the ruling will be to permanently strengthen the GOP’s ability to rig elections, not create conditions that allow Democrats to even the ledger.

It’s bad news all around I’m afraid……

casinterest

Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:56 pm

SL1200MK2 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Well, to be fair, they’re the ones calling the folks on the left “elite”. They’re proud of their stupidity

It is the biggest issue I see with the far right these days. The success of Fox News, Alex Jones, and a host of other networks and politicians would seem to affirm this.

c933103

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:23 pm

casinterest wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Why do the US use machines to vote anyway? An extra layer of component mean an extra layer of weakness, and 2000 Florida already showed how they can cause trouble. What it can do that a simple physical stamp can't? Not to mention all the information security one have to worry about even if they are successfully defended and protected.

Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:59 pm

c933103 wrote:
Why do the US use machines to vote anyway? An extra layer of component mean an extra layer of weakness, and 2000 Florida already showed how they can cause trouble. What it can do that a simple physical stamp can't? Not to mention all the information security one have to worry about even if they are successfully defended and protected.

Same reason machines are used for anything else. Speed, accuracy, uniformity, fairness. Ability to quickly count & recount.

The 2000 election in Florida was a fluke in that the election came down to counting individual spoiled ballots, that were open to interpretation. That same thing would have occurred, with or without machines.

The issues raised about machine security were false, that was substantially proved in the investigations of election fraud in 2020. The only fraud that ocurred was from people voting illegally, and those were in tiny numbers that occur in every election.

c933103

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:45 pm

c933103 wrote:

Same reason machines are used for anything else. Speed, accuracy, uniformity, fairness. Ability to quickly count & recount.

The 2000 election in Florida was a fluke in that the election came down to counting individual spoiled ballots, that were open to interpretation. That same thing would have occurred, with or without machines.

The issues raised about machine security were false, that was substantially proved in the investigations of election fraud in 2020. The only fraud that ocurred was from people voting illegally, and those were in tiny numbers that occur in every election.

I mean the machine in vote-casting process instead of counting process. I don't see how pressing a button have advantage in speed/accuracy/uniformity/fair over a stamp or a pencil.

Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:59 am

c933103 wrote:

I mean the machine in vote-casting process instead of counting process. I don't see how pressing a button have advantage in speed/accuracy/uniformity/fair over a stamp or a pencil.

Same principles apply to voting as counting. The machines are reusable and reduce manual errors, require less labor in set up and processing.

If you don't see the advantage, that's fine but every state in the union does. It's like asking why do we use computers.

art

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:11 am

c933103 wrote:

Same principles apply to voting as counting. The machines are reusable and reduce manual errors, require less labor in set up and processing.

If you don't see the advantage, that's fine but every state in the union does. It's like asking why do we use computers.

Come to think of it, why aren't computers used for voting? A terminal in each voting booth, an alert to confirm the voter's choice of candidate before recording the voter's choice, no need to count the votes since the system does that.

Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:31 am

art wrote:

Come to think of it, why aren't computers used for voting? A terminal in each voting booth, an alert to confirm the voter's choice of candidate before recording the voter's choice, no need to count the votes since the system does that.

Election law requires that ballots be preserved in non-electronic form, from the moment of voting. So while computers can be used as an interface device to vote, for tabulating, and for election result reporting & transmittance, they can't replace the ballot itself, which must remain in physical form. That is the ultimate protection against tampering and fraud.

In the My Pillow, Mike Lindell allegations of voter fraud, the claim was that the voting machines altered a vote for Trump into a vote for Biden. But there are numerous tracking and safeguards in the machines that would flag any such activity. The machines are tested and certified before the election. Afterwards they are sealed and have no network connections.

c933103

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:48 am

>reusable and reduce manual error
so is a stamp, except stamps do not cause the same type of trouble as those punch holes

>require less labor in set up and processing
I cannot imagine stamps cost more man power.

But come to think of it, is it because US elections often bundle a bunch of different other questions and options together?

Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:17 am

c933103 wrote:

Any manual system is going to have more labor and take more time, in processing ballots. As mentioned, that's why all the states have moved to the machines. It's the best way to handle large numbers of voters in a short time and limited space.

c933103

Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:42 am

c933103 wrote:

Any manual system is going to have more labor and take more time, in processing ballots. As mentioned, that's why all the states have moved to the machines. It's the best way to handle large numbers of voters in a short time and limited space.

Not sure is it really something that cannot be done with machine even if marking is manual. There are already machine that can automatically scan and identify answers handwritten on multiple choice questionnaire and test papers

Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:26 am

c933103 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Not sure is it really something that cannot be done with machine even if marking is manual. There are already machine that can automatically scan and identify answers handwritten on multiple choice questionnaire and test papers

As I said, there's a reason why the states have done this. If you want to believe a stamp is better, that's fine, but it doesn't change anything.

victrola

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:26 pm

So many election deniers won Republican primaries this year precisely because election denial is fully accepted by the vast majority of Republican voters. It is basic Republican policy. Republicans have a pathological hatred of free and fair elections. The Republican party has fully embraced authoritarianism and is a major threat to the survival of democracy in the United States. If you vote Republican in the next election, you have effectively expressed your opinion that democracy must be destroyed in the United States.

I know that there are still a lot of decent people who hold conservative political views in the United State. But, they will have to decide whether they are for or against democracy.

seb146

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:11 pm

c933103 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

It's not everywhere in the United States. Washington, Oregon, and California all use paper ballots. Machines are only used in the counting process. And, if there is any doubt, humans step in and hand count. There is a physical copy for inspection at any time. None of this "the computer changed my vote at the poll" nonsense.

Topic Author

Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:48 am

A group of election deniers has formed a nationwide coalition on the 2022 ballot for secretaries of state, which control the elections on most states. Many of them have vowed to "reverse" election fraud and manage elections so as to undo the "injustice" done to Trump in 2020. Here are the coalition members:

Arizona: Mark Finchem (Republican)
Massachusetts: Rayla Campbell (Republican)
Michigan: Kristina Karamo (Republican)
Nevada: Jim Marchant (Republican)
Ohio: Terpsichore Maras-Lindeman (Independent)

In addition, Pennsylvania has an appointed secretary of state, and the coalition is working with gubernatorial candidate Doug Mastriano (Republican) to propose election denier candidates.

In Massachusetts and Ohio, the candidates have little chance. But the other states are at risk of having these people elected or appointed.

https://www.mediamatters.org/qanon-cons ... cted-qanon

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ledge-2024