Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACDC8

Re: Mega-Millions jackpot at 1.2 billion

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 am

cjg225 wrote:
That's kinda the point, though. They'll descend on you like locust.

Meh, just use some Raid :rotfl:

WildcatYXU

Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 am

ACDC8 wrote:
889091 wrote:
cjg225 wrote:
That and hope you live in a state that allows you to accept anonymously even if you don't do that.

But, yeah, you do not want anyone knowing you won this.

I never understood why some states don't allow you to claim the prize anonymously. It's like painting a big red target over yourself for wannabe kidnappers......

Where I live in BC, one must have their name published in order to receive the winnings - you can ask to claim anonymously, but they have to approve such request. Having said that, have there been any cases in the past where a lottery winner was put into danger after their names were published?

I don't know any cases in Canada, but in the old country they stopped publicizing the winner's names because the winners were blackmailed by the organized crime. The winnings became tax free again for the same reason. The organized crime had no problems obtaining the winner's names from the tax authority.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:58 pm

Happened in the US, early Massachusetts winner was met by Whitey Bulger who told him if he wanted to live, half was his, as a partner

readytotaxi

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:56 am

Did the winner claim the prize yet?

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:42 pm

Don't know. They have 6 months to claim. My guess is that it's an individual, not like a group. They can remain anonymous in IL so we will likely never know. Or they forgot about the ticket, left it in their pocket, it went through the laundry and they washed away $1.2 billion!

scbriml

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Don't know. They have 6 months to claim. My guess is that it's an individual, not like a group. They can remain anonymous in IL so we will likely never know. Or they forgot about the ticket, left it in their pocket, it went through the laundry and they washed away $1.2 billion!

Now that's what you call money laundering!

VolvoBus

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:34 am

Does anybody know how much the winner might actually receive ? This is not as silly as it sounds for the following reasons :

1 The full sum is paid out in equal instalments over 20 or 30 years. A lump sum is discounted to take into account depreciating real value over this period.

2 The payout is subject to Federal ,and presumably State if applicable ,income taxes

I vaguely recall seeing USD 686 mn as the lump sum figure,and if we allow 25% as the overall Federal tax rate you are left with ~ USD 500 mn.

Compare this to the recent Euromillions lottery in Europe, where the jackpot hit EUR 200 mn ( ~ USD 200 mn ) cap
. As a UK taxpayer, I would have received the entire sum immediately, with no tax liability as it is classified as gambling winnings ( and may well be tax exempt by legislation.). Not as much, but compare the headline figures.

readytotaxi

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:30 am

Is this lottery only open to US citizens?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:03 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Compare this to the recent Euromillions lottery in Europe, where the jackpot hit EUR 200 mn ( ~ USD 200 mn ) cap
. As a UK taxpayer, I would have received the entire sum immediately, with no tax liability as it is classified as gambling winnings ( and may well be tax exempt by legislation.). Not as much, but compare the headline figures.

Unless you are a non-US citizen, this is where Uncle Sam gets you, regardless of where you reside. I believe if you are an American citizen living abroad, you are still liable to pay US taxes (including whatever applicable local country taxes).

cjg225

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:19 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Is this lottery only open to US citizens?

Nope. Just have to be 18.

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:02 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Lottery in Norway has an app, everyone who buys a ticket is registered even if you loose the ticket the lotteries company knows who won and you’ll have it on your phone.

On the same app you can buy Viking Lotto (All of Scandinavia and a few others) and the Euro Jackpot (most of Europe).