Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:21 pm

OK, breaking news. Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri has been killed by drone attack in Afghanistan.

Source in German:
https://www.n-tv.de/newsletter/breakingnews/Al-Kaida-Chef-al-Sawahiri-stirbt-offenbar-bei-US-Drohnenangriff-article23500601.html
 
jetwet1
Posts: 3578
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:26 pm

Just a small reminder to the Taliban that troops may not be on the ground, but drones are still overhead.

Oh and BTW, good.
 
T4thH
Topic Author
Posts: 1861
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:43 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Just a small reminder to the Taliban that troops may not be on the ground, but drones are still overhead.

Oh and BTW, good.

Taliban and Al-Kaida are not anymore fans of each other. Pretty sure, in Kabul there are now some parties behind closed doors.
 
Avatar2go
Posts: 1394
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:41 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:59 pm

Yes, the Taliban and the US have a common enemy in Al Qaida. Pretty sure there would be cooperation in taking them down.
 
CaptHadley
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:19 am

Some people have relegated themselves to “drive by” troll posts anymore.
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1835
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:22 am

Good. Well done, Biden. A justified and legal counterstrike.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 am

Appears he was on the balcony when two missiles visited him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62387167
 
leader1
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:15 pm

Apparently, Trump had the chance to go after al-Zawahiri, but turned it down because he never heard of him. Trump wanted to go after Bin Laden's son instead because he had more name recognition. What an idiot.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-s ... nbc-2022-8
 
GDB
Posts: 15654
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:42 pm

leader1 wrote:
Apparently, Trump had the chance to go after al-Zawahiri, but turned it down because he never heard of him. Trump wanted to go after Bin Laden's son instead because he had more name recognition. What an idiot.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-s ... nbc-2022-8


Can you imagine the concern there must have been letting him see any sensitive intel, or anything, him not understanding much of it probably came as a light relief.
As the the rather sneering comment from, well the expected, if allowed to reiterate, who was in the WH when Bin Laden was offed, which also netted an unexpected intel haul?
It is thought that one effect of that was to seriously impact Al Queda’s ability to plan, fund raise much less carry out a serious attack, more a case of trying to link the various scattered affiliates, again likely badly affected.
Until more recently. That alone made him more vulnerable to detection perhaps?

If I am allowed to give a brief overview of this man, he was Bin Laden’s mentor, not the other way around.
He was involved with the group that assassinated Sadat in Egypt in 1981.
Later trying to ferment an uprising (or rather a second chance at the one he thought would happen after Sadat’s death 16 years before), as well as Algeria in the 1990’s.
Both failed but as far as he and now Bin Laden were concerned, it wasn’t their ideology that was flawed, the Muslim population in these and other nations were brainwashed by the West in general, the US in particular.
Therefore the adoption of the ‘far enemy’ strategy.

So snark away at this event but if you want to be partisan, who was in the WH when the event him and Bin Laden are most notorious for?
We know who ordered the offing of now both the number 1 and 2 of the organization that did it and a whole lot more.
Who let those thousands of Taliban out in 2020, then who had to try to clear up the mess?

On topic enough?
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15754
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:50 pm

Avatar2go wrote:
Yes, the Taliban and the US have a common enemy in Al Qaida. Pretty sure there would be cooperation in taking them down.


I don't know (I really don't). Having your main mortal enemy still conducting assassinations in your country willy nilly isn't a great look.
 
MohawkWeekend
Posts: 1905
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:06 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:44 pm

I don't know - if he felt safe enough going out for a breath of fresh air on a balcony in Kabul, he couldn't have been on the Taliban's most wanted list.

I think it's ISIS that bothers the Taliban not Al Quida
 
leader1
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:44 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:04 pm

GDB wrote:

If I am allowed to give a brief overview of this man, he was Bin Laden’s mentor, not the other way around.
He was involved with the group that assassinated Sadat in Egypt in 1981.
Later trying to ferment an uprising (or rather a second chance at the one he thought would happen after Sadat’s death 16 years before), as well as Algeria in the 1990’s.
Both failed but as far as he and now Bin Laden were concerned, it wasn’t their ideology that was flawed, the Muslim population in these and other nations were brainwashed by the West in general, the US in particular.
Therefore the adoption of the ‘far enemy’ strategy.

So snark away at this event but if you want to be partisan, who was in the WH when the event him and Bin Laden are most notorious for?
We know who ordered the offing of now both the number 1 and 2 of the organization that did it and a whole lot more.
Who let those thousands of Taliban out in 2020, then who had to try to clear up the mess?

On topic enough?


Agreed. He was the brains behind the organization; Bin Laden was the charismatic figurehead and the initial financial backer. I always thought that he was the more dangerous of the two because he seemed more fervent in his beliefs and goals than Bin Laden was. But hell, Trump didn’t have a clue who he was, so he deemed him not important enough to target. Not sure if it’s scary or more of a relief that he didn’t pay attention to the intelligence briefings.
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 8882
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:26 am

Report that the missiles were loaded with hundreds of tiny blades and not explosives seems right by the lack of damage to the building.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21232
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:50 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
Report that the missiles were loaded with hundreds of tiny blades and not explosives seems right by the lack of damage to the building.


I’m not sure where you’re getting “hundreds of tiny blades” from, but BBC is reporting that two Hellfire R9X were used.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-62400923

Image
 
GDB
Posts: 15654
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Al-Kaida leader al-Sawahiri is dead.

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:48 pm

Obit, essentially the life and hates of him
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... i-obituary

More info;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... r-al-qaida

So he was allowed to reemerge after the master of the 'Art Of The Deal' and his grubby capitulationto the Taliban, did not stop the Taliban from acting like, well the Taliban.

(They also reneged on promises on women too but I doubt that bothers the modern MAGA'd GOP, since they are into dismantling their rights in the US).

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Avatar2go, Baidu [Spider], journeyperson, luckyone, SQ22 and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos