Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SumChristianus
Topic Author

"Eric" for U.S. Senate in Missouri

Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:38 am

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 65801.html
"Eric" wins Trump's endorsement on the eve of Missouri's primary election.

Found this quite funny, and pretty shrewd. Trump endorsing "Eric" when two of the top three polling Republican primary candidates share that name allows him (Trump) to claim victory if either win...

“We need a person who will not back down to the Radical Left Lunatics who are destroying our Country,” Trump wrote. “I trust the Great People of Missouri, on this one, to make up their own minds, much as they did when they gave me landslide victories in the 2016 and 2020 Elections, and I am therefore proud to announce that ERIC has my Complete and Total Endorsement!” - Trump

Or as Claire McCaskill has pointed out already, there's another Eric in the race as well: https://twitter.com/clairecmc/status/15 ... quZEQc4_jw

Has anything this funny happened in U.S. (or other countries' politics) recently? Both candidates Eric Greitens and Eric Schmitt have claimed "victory" in the endorsement "race" as the "Complete and Total Endorsement" of Trump is split completely and totally in half...

I mostly just find it funny...

Newark727

Re: "Eric" for U.S. Senate in Missouri

Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:36 am

For some reason this reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where John Cleese played a man who named all his pets Eric.

scbriml

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:18 am

Newark727 wrote:
For some reason this reminds me of the Monty Python sketch where John Cleese played a man who named all his pets Eric.

OT, but....

The cast:
PRALINE: John Cleese
CLERK: Michael Palin

The sketch:
Praline: (whistles a bit, then) Hello. I would like to buy a fish license, please.

Postal clerk: A what?

Praline: A license for my pet fish, Eric.

Clerk: How did you know my name was Eric?

Praline: No, no, no! My fish's name is Eric. Eric fish. He's an halibut.

Clerk: What?

Praline: He is an halibut.

Clerk: You've got a pet halibut?

Praline: Yes, I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Clerk: You must be a loony.

Praline: I am not a loony. Why should I be tarred with the epithet 'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabarro has a pet prawn called Simon - you wouldn't call him a loony! Furthermore Dawn Pathorpe, the lady showjumper, had a clam called Stafford, after the late chancellor. Alan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an 'addock! So if you're calling the author of 'A la recherche de temps perdu' a loony, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

Clerk: All right, all right, all right. A license?

Praline: Yes!

Clerk: For a fish.

Clerk: You *are* a loony.

Praline: Look, it's a bleeding pet, isn't it? I've got a license for me pet dog Eric, I've got a license for me pet cat Eric.

Clerk: You don't need a license for your cat.

Praline: I bleedin' well do and I've got one! Can't be caught out there!

Clerk: There is no such thing as a bloody Cat license.

Praline: Yes there is.

Clerk: No there isn't.

Praline: Is!

Clerk: Isn't!

Praline: What's that then?

Clerk: This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in in crayon.

Praline: Man didn't have the right form.

Clerk: What man?

Praline: The man from the cat detector van.

Clerk: The loony detector van, you mean.

Praline: Look, it's people like you what cause unrest.

Clerk: What cat detector van?

Praline: The cat detector van from the Ministry of Housinge.

Clerk: Housinge?

Praline: It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant. I never seen so many bleedin' aerials. The man said their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards, and Eric being such a happy cat was a piece of cake.

Clerk: How much did you pay for this?

Praline: Sixty quid and eight for the fruit-bat.

Clerk: What fruit-bat?

Praline: Eric the fruit-bat.

Clerk: Are all your pets called Eric?

Praline: There's nothing so odd about that. Kemel Attaturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul.

Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:18 am

Lol!! The Apprentice never really ended, it just transformed to the White House version, and now to the ex-President version.

GDB

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:55 am

scbriml wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

OT, but....

The cast:

The sketch:
Praline: (whistles a bit, then) Hello. I would like to buy a fish license, please.

Praline: Yes, I chose him out of thousands. I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Praline: I am not a loony. Why should I be tarred with the epithet 'loony' merely because I have a pet halibut? I've heard tell that Sir Gerald Nabarro has a pet prawn called Simon - you wouldn't call him a loony! Furthermore Dawn Pathorpe, the lady showjumper, had a clam called Stafford, after the late chancellor. Alan Bullock has two pikes, both called Chris, and Marcel Proust had an 'addock! So if you're calling the author of 'A la recherche de temps perdu' a loony, I shall have to ask you to step outside!

Praline: Look, it's a bleeding pet, isn't it? I've got a license for me pet dog Eric, I've got a license for me pet cat Eric.

Clerk: This is a dog license with the word 'dog' crossed out and 'cat' written in in crayon.

Praline: It was spelt like that on the van. I'm very observant. I never seen so many bleedin' aerials. The man said their equipment could pinpoint a purr at four hundred yards, and Eric being such a happy cat was a piece of cake.

Praline: There's nothing so odd about that. Kemel Attaturk had an entire menagerie called Abdul.

Ah memories. Unfortunately in the UK we are living in a Monty Python sketch, namely ‘Upper Class Twit Of The Year’.
(I know the ‘classless society’ myth holds firm still in the US, however exhibit A, the Trump family. Who don’t do humor, beyond the mental bandwidth of the not bright but sociopathic).

Tugger

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:58 pm

scbriml wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

OT, but....

The cast:

The sketch:

I thought the fish was named Wanda...? :praise:

As for "Eric", to continue the above theme, I do believe Trump to be playing the part of Pontius Pilate...
"Erwic? I like Erwic, I have a vewy gweat fwiend in Missouwi called Erwic...why are you all laughing?"

Tugg

SumChristianus
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:17 am

"ERIC" wins: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... enate.html > ~45% of the vote so far

But, hey, if you put together BOTH Eric and Eric to make super-duper Eric you get an ERIC with 64% of the vote (so far)... :stirthepot: (Should be a satire article)

Two other funny things about this year's elections I've noticed is how many candidates are competing (11 for the Dem and 21 for the Rep nomination for Missouri senate) and how many people have similiar names in general: Eric Schmitt in MO and Derek Schmidt in KS as well as the three Eric's in MO...

Confusing!

seb146

Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:28 am

SumChristianus wrote:
"ERIC" wins: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/202 ... enate.html > ~45% of the vote so far

But, hey, if you put together BOTH Eric and Eric to make super-duper Eric you get an ERIC with 64% of the vote (so far)... :stirthepot: (Should be a satire article)

Two other funny things about this year's elections I've noticed is how many candidates are competing (11 for the Dem and 21 for the Rep nomination for Missouri senate) and how many people have similiar names in general: Eric Schmitt in MO and Derek Schmidt in KS as well as the three Eric's in MO...

Confusing!

I have worked at the same place for the past 4.5 years. We have few employees in our particular location, even though we are a multi-national corporation. Our specific branch has had three Scotts, two Stevens (both spelled that way), two Michael's and a Randy and Andy and two Christina's but one went by Tina. All wonderful people. I worked at one place (different time and place) with few employees, international locations so I decided to use my middle name to stop the insanity. One Seb vs. 4 on one shift of my first name? nope...

And my two names are a whole family thing....

The Missouri race? I know why it was done the way it was done. The former guy just wanted a win. Didn't care about the people. Victory is more important than America.