Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
StarAC17
Posts: 4455
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:54 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:36 pm

seb146 wrote:
She took a second job to support her family. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Don't make enough money? Get another job! She did. As far as the cannisters, how many times have you packed a bag for a long weekend upstate, got to your hotel and found something in one of the side pockets you forgot you put there from your last vacation? Plenty of times.

We SHOULD be outraged an American has been arrested and charged under sketchy circumstances. But some of us are not. In fact, some of us are saying she should stay. For providing for her family.


I feel bad for her because this is clearly political but she should have known that taking weed across a border is no bueno.

I take prescribed CBD oil and generally enjoy weed. I went to Florida in March (live in Toronto) and there is no way in hell that I was bringing that within the vicinity of US CBP. Things I forget are in my pocket are receipts and lip balm. Not weed oil or a vape.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15688
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:30 pm

Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
[...]Most Americans get limited to no sentences for possession anymore.
[...]

I get your post, except this part. It is not America where this took place and daily there are Americans that are jailed in other nations for felonies under their laws.

I have not heard many people here saying she "deserved this for doing drugs" really, only that this is what you get for dumbly ignoring another nations laws.

And honestly, would you bring a dozen plus vape cartridges into a country like Russia (or Singapore or Saudi Arabia etc.) where it is illegal?

Tugg



I get that it is not America, but this is one of the highlights of why people should be careful, but it also highlights how accustomed Americans are to freedom. The main harp here is that a bunch of drunk vodka drinking folks can cause far more damage that the vape itself.

So yes, one has to be careful when you go into these backwards countries, but at the same time, pushing that kind of punishment on someone that comes from a society that isn't backwards is rather harsh. Of course in this case, the fact that Russia can politically abuse a person for a political prerogative is a shining example of why Conservatives continuously show they are a bunch of false flag operatives when it comes to American ideals ,
 
B777LRF
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:37 am

casinterest wrote:
I get that it is not America, but this is one of the highlights of why people should be careful, but it also highlights how accustomed Americans are to freedom.


I’m sorry, but are you suffering from a delusion that “freedom” only exists in the US? If so, I’ve got some news for you: The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.

If you’re stupid enough to bring drugs across a border you’re essentially begging to get busted, and if you’re stupid enough to believe that what goes in your country goes in every other country as well, you really shouldn’t be holding a passport.

She brought drugs across a border, which makes her a drug smuggler. Nothing more or less, and for that she’s entitled to enjoy paying the price in the jurisdiction where she got busted.
 
art
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:12 am

B777LRF wrote:
The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.


While historically very few Americans held passports (around 10% in 1994), it has risen to about 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

I was always struck by how little American tourists I met in the past knew about anywhere except the US of A. The times they are achangin', though. Must be, mustn't they? Perhaps fewer Americans these days fall into the trap this lady fell into - I assume she did not know that what she was carrying was illegal in Russia. If she did, she was mighty stupid.
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:04 am

art wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.


While historically very few Americans held passports (around 10% in 1994), it has risen to about 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

I was always struck by how little American tourists I met in the past knew about anywhere except the US of A. The times they are achangin', though. Must be, mustn't they? Perhaps fewer Americans these days fall into the trap this lady fell into - I assume she did not know that what she was carrying was illegal in Russia. If she did, she was mighty stupid.
Apart from she was not a tourist.
 
johns624
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:52 am

art wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.


While historically very few Americans held passports (around 10% in 1994), it has risen to about 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

I was always struck by how little American tourists I met in the past knew about anywhere except the US of A. The times they are achangin', though. Must be, mustn't they? Perhaps fewer Americans these days fall into the trap this lady fell into - I assume she did not know that what she was carrying was illegal in Russia. If she did, she was mighty stupid.
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick. Yeah, it's a lot easier for them because all they have to do is go 2-300 miles in just about any direction and they're in another country. The US is close to the size of Western Europe. We only have two countries bordering us. Any others we have to fly to.
BTW--I've been to almost all of Western Europe, along with Australia and NZ.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:16 pm

casinterest wrote:
I get that it is not America, but this is one of the highlights of why people should be careful, but it also highlights how accustomed Americans are to freedom.


This sounds like a pretty lame excuse.

casinterest wrote:
So yes, one has to be careful when you go into these backwards countries


What would happen to me if I tried to take drugs into America and was caught?

One would also be tempted to question the wisdom of travelling to Russia when it was obviously on the brink of war.
 
User avatar
scbriml
Posts: 21252
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:37 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:22 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
Apart from she was not a tourist.


Which actually makes it worse. She should have been advised against such actions or taken responsibility to be professional about her travel.

When I travelled extensively for work, my company had country profiles which spelled out how things might be different to what we considered normal and what was expected of us as visitors to that country.
 
User avatar
par13del
Posts: 11467
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:14 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:14 pm

Too much tin foil in my house right now but....1. She has been to Russia multiple times, as a celebrity. 2. As someone who uses those drugs, we can be sure it is/was not her first time, perhaps the WNBA drug testing is not up to snuff. 3. I do not think it is "white privilege" but "celebrity privilege", she probably took those things in numerous times and was never searched and just passed thru security, so was somewhat shocked this time when stopped, thankfully, she has shown smarts and not spoken of the other occasions, expect those to be revealed if and when she returns home.
Personally, I just think it is the naivety of individuals who often times think their personal fame trumps all, Colin Kapernic is probably still shocked that he can no longer play in the NFL, last UK PM and his advisor Cummings thought they were all powerful until one after the other they were given the boot, I am sure others can find numerous other cases, I do not include POTUS since none are guaranteed a second term....Celebrities of whatever kind must always understand that when the political winds change, their fame and fortune do not make them immune....
At least that's my opinion, I hope she is ultimate freed to return to her country who despite its flaws, is working to get her home, she may actually learn some life lessons from this, when one thinks of your country, it should always encompass a wider view than just your immediate circle of influencers, not an easy thing to do but.....
 
LCDFlight
Posts: 1841
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:22 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:39 pm

casinterest wrote:
The sentence is completely political and a negotiating tool for Russia to use as leverage. It is not about justice or any sensible view of reforming the behavior.

The fawning of the right wing over this sentence is completely irresponsible and ignorant. Most Americans get limited to no sentences for possession anymore.

The diplomatic officials will negotiate with Russia for prisoner exchanges, but make not mistake, this just further highlights the escalating tensions between the US and Russia.


I think the talk of Exchanging her for a notorious arms dealer who has killed countless kids in Africa (?) is irresponsible and ignorant. Let her serve her sentence. This has been falsely portrayed as a baseless kidnapping. The entire portrayal of Griner by the NYT and NPR is incredibly narcissistic and infantilizing. They argue she had the right to do what she did, or isn’t old enough or smart enough to understand her actions…. that the US would never imprison people for marijuana trafficking (!!!!!)… and that the US has standing to reverse rulings on internal Russian criminal matters…. (!!!) All of this is false and outrageous.
 
art
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:05 pm

johns624 wrote:
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick.


I think that Europeans do know more about the world outside their borders than Americans do. It may be due to the proximity of other countries with different languages and cultures but I would say that many Europeans take more interest in the world beyond than do Americans. Less parochial. More curious about how people are in other places. Powerful European country exceptions to this in my view are the UK and France.

johns624 wrote:
Yeah, it's a lot easier for them because all they have to do is go 2-300 miles in just about any direction and they're in another country. The US is close to the size of Western Europe. We only have two countries bordering us. Any others we have to fly to.


Quite true IMO.
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 535
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:10 pm

One thing I just thought of - the US is only one of two (??) countries where U.S. citizens are subject to federal income tax on worldwide income regardless of their country of residence.

So according to wiki one 'perk' of this is that:

"Consular protection outside the United States. While traveling abroad, if a person is arrested or detained by foreign authorities, the person can request to speak to somebody from the United States Embassy or Consulate. Consular officials can provide resources for Americans incarcerated abroad, such as a list of local attorneys who speak English. The United States government may even intervene on the person's behalf."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizensh ... ted_States

So part of the citizenship is that the US government might intervene for you regardless what's happened - which is the case here.
 
johns624
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:17 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
So part of the citizenship is that the US government might intervene for you regardless what's happened - which is the case here.
I don't think the US has much pull with the Russian government right now.
 
GDB
Posts: 15701
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:42 pm

art wrote:
johns624 wrote:
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick.


I think that Europeans do know more about the world outside their borders than Americans do. It may be due to the proximity of other countries with different languages and cultures but I would say that many Europeans take more interest in the world beyond than do Americans. Less parochial. More curious about how people are in other places. Powerful European country exceptions to this in my view are the UK and France.

johns624 wrote:
Yeah, it's a lot easier for them because all they have to do is go 2-300 miles in just about any direction and they're in another country. The US is close to the size of Western Europe. We only have two countries bordering us. Any others we have to fly to.


Quite true IMO.


Cannot speak for France but the last 6 years has taught us the UK in many ways IS like that.
(Most googled search in the UK the day after the referendum. 'what is the EU?')
 
marcelh
Posts: 2121
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:22 pm

johns624 wrote:
art wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.


While historically very few Americans held passports (around 10% in 1994), it has risen to about 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

I was always struck by how little American tourists I met in the past knew about anywhere except the US of A. The times they are achangin', though. Must be, mustn't they? Perhaps fewer Americans these days fall into the trap this lady fell into - I assume she did not know that what she was carrying was illegal in Russia. If she did, she was mighty stupid.
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick.


No one is saying one is “better” than others, it’s just an observation of someone. Nothing to do with “Euro-centrism”.
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 24351
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:09 pm

Discuss the topic, not other users and that includes insulting peoples. This is your warning. If in doubt, read the forum rules. The majority of our bans come from non-aviation topics. By all means have an opinion, just post respectfully.

And post links. We moderators do not moderate the truth, just if you follow the forum rules.
 
bennett123
Posts: 11311
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:51 pm

Just as well she did not go to some SE Asian countries.
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 12130
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:25 pm

scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:
So yes, one has to be careful when you go into these backwards countries


What would happen to me if I tried to take drugs into America and was caught?
[...]

Good point actually, it is illegal to bring cannabis products of any kind into the USA too and if found she would have been arrested and likely convicted. I don't think it would have been a 9 year sentence but it would have been time in prison.

Tugg
 
B777LRF
Posts: 3101
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:23 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:50 am

The vibe I’m getting for quite a lot of posters is “She’s a US citizen, what she didn’t wouldn’t carry a large - if any - sentence in the US”, which is both incorrect and ultimately utterly inconsequential. Whilst she is indeed a US citizen, she committed what is a crime on the foreign soil she was visiting. And if I, as a non-US citizen, was caught transporting drugs into the US, I wouldn’t be subject to punishment in accordance with the laws of my home country, but rather those of the US. I think that’s pretty basic knowledge and not really that hard to fathom. It is also utterly perplexing to witness US posters complaining about the length of the sentence, when in the US you can easily get 20, 30 or 50 years for something that would cost you no more than 2, 3 or 5 years in many other places in the world.

We can of course debate the political nature of Russian courts or, indeed, their penal code. But that’s really besides the point; Ms. Griner knowingly brought drugs into Russia, and I have zero sympathy for her facing the consequences of that action.

Exchanging a ball player with what might just be the worlds biggest international arms dealer seems utterly out of proportion; don’t the US have a Russian guy spending time in jail for, I don’t know, jay walking or something?
 
art
Posts: 4965
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:46 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:03 am

9 years is a big chunk out of someone's life. Are convicts normally given an automatic early release from prison - barring 'bad' behaviour in prison - in Russia? Or does 9 years actually mean 9 years?

Whatever, I feel sorry for Ms Griner that such a minor offence should result in such a heavy punishment.
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:16 pm

johns624 wrote:
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick. Yeah, it's a lot easier for them because all they have to do is go 2-300 miles in just about any direction and they're in another country. The US is close to the size of Western Europe. We only have two countries bordering us. Any others we have to fly to..


The US is much larger than Western Europe actually. In fact, the entirety of Europe and the US are roughly the same size. I've lived in both Europe and the US (and obviously South America) and my personal experience was that the notion that Europeans were more worldly than people from the US was frankly false. The average European knows a lot about Europe....and that is it. The average person from the US knows a lot about the US...which is about the same size as Europe. The average European is as uninformed about other parts of the world as the average person from the US is. Nor are they more "woke" or less bigoted. Yes, they know about more "countries" but does that really matter when said countries are the size of postage stamps? (At least from a South American perspective). I'm not saying people from the US are any better about this but the European notion of superiority is exhausting at times and utterly false. The odd thing is that it is such an ingrained idea that even half of the people from the US I know believe it to be true.

My goal here was not to go off topic but to say let's avoid this very silly argument and focus on what is at hand.
 
User avatar
NIKV69
Posts: 15108
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:27 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:15 pm

B777LRF wrote:
We can of course debate the political nature of Russian courts or, indeed, their penal code. But that’s really besides the point; Ms. Griner knowingly brought drugs into Russia, and I have zero sympathy for her facing the consequences of that action.


She is going to get a pass for those actions. Since Russia is a pariah now and instead of spending any time in jail, Russia will trade her for someone they want back. It's all been a show. The reciting the propaganda that she was wrongfully detained and being held hostage has been my favorite. At the end of the day it will be another professional athlete getting special treatment.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:09 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
She took a second job to support her family. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Don't make enough money? Get another job! She did. As far as the cannisters, how many times have you packed a bag for a long weekend upstate, got to your hotel and found something in one of the side pockets you forgot you put there from your last vacation? Plenty of times.

We SHOULD be outraged an American has been arrested and charged under sketchy circumstances. But some of us are not. In fact, some of us are saying she should stay. For providing for her family.


I feel bad for her because this is clearly political but she should have known that taking weed across a border is no bueno.

I take prescribed CBD oil and generally enjoy weed. I went to Florida in March (live in Toronto) and there is no way in hell that I was bringing that within the vicinity of US CBP. Things I forget are in my pocket are receipts and lip balm. Not weed oil or a vape.


And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12746
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:03 pm

seb146 wrote:
And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.


So....are you trying to contradict your own point, or what?
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:16 pm

I don’t understand the assumption from nearly all posters that Griner did in fact have the CBD oil on her. We really can’t know that. Russia is known for planting stuff on people when it wants to detain them. Yes, you can point to her “confession” but how do we know it is honest? We’re talking about a fascist regime, is it hard to believe it was coerced?

She may have, she may not have. Part of the Russian strategy in detaining her is to cause friction among US citizens, and it is working. If they detained, say, Tom Brady (who I doubt would be in Russia, but just go with it), the reaction would not generate this level of conflict. That is the point, Russia seeks to breed division in the West. Half of the US population desires to believe she is guilty because of biases against her. She’s a “great target” from a Russian perspective.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14300
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:25 pm

johns624 wrote:
art wrote:
B777LRF wrote:
The vast majority of democratic nations have freedoms on part with, or exceeding those of, the US. However, the vast majority of people from those countries also knows that what goes in their country does not necessarily go in other countries. But, then again, they’ve probably also seen more than just the cover of an atlas.


While historically very few Americans held passports (around 10% in 1994), it has risen to about 40%.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42586638

I was always struck by how little American tourists I met in the past knew about anywhere except the US of A. The times they are achangin', though. Must be, mustn't they? Perhaps fewer Americans these days fall into the trap this lady fell into - I assume she did not know that what she was carrying was illegal in Russia. If she did, she was mighty stupid.
The Euro-centric view that they're "better" and more "worldly" than Americans because they do more international travel gets old really quick. Yeah, it's a lot easier for them because all they have to do is go 2-300 miles in just about any direction and they're in another country. The US is close to the size of Western Europe. We only have two countries bordering us. Any others we have to fly to.
BTW--I've been to almost all of Western Europe, along with Australia and NZ.


You’re one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

There are tens of millions of Americans who live within 2-300 miles of Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14300
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:35 pm

seb146 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
She took a second job to support her family. Isn't that what we are supposed to do? Don't make enough money? Get another job! She did. As far as the cannisters, how many times have you packed a bag for a long weekend upstate, got to your hotel and found something in one of the side pockets you forgot you put there from your last vacation? Plenty of times.

We SHOULD be outraged an American has been arrested and charged under sketchy circumstances. But some of us are not. In fact, some of us are saying she should stay. For providing for her family.


I feel bad for her because this is clearly political but she should have known that taking weed across a border is no bueno.

I take prescribed CBD oil and generally enjoy weed. I went to Florida in March (live in Toronto) and there is no way in hell that I was bringing that within the vicinity of US CBP. Things I forget are in my pocket are receipts and lip balm. Not weed oil or a vape.


And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.


That’s an about face, so now you accept she’s guilty and should remain in Russia until she competes her sentence, or do you still think she should be freed because Merica?
 
bluecrew
Posts: 388
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:45 pm

B777LRF wrote:
The vibe I’m getting for quite a lot of posters is “She’s a US citizen, what she didn’t wouldn’t carry a large - if any - sentence in the US”, which is both incorrect and ultimately utterly inconsequential. Whilst she is indeed a US citizen, she committed what is a crime on the foreign soil she was visiting. And if I, as a non-US citizen, was caught transporting drugs into the US, I wouldn’t be subject to punishment in accordance with the laws of my home country, but rather those of the US. I think that’s pretty basic knowledge and not really that hard to fathom. It is also utterly perplexing to witness US posters complaining about the length of the sentence, when in the US you can easily get 20, 30 or 50 years for something that would cost you no more than 2, 3 or 5 years in many other places in the world.

We can of course debate the political nature of Russian courts or, indeed, their penal code. But that’s really besides the point; Ms. Griner knowingly brought drugs into Russia, and I have zero sympathy for her facing the consequences of that action.

Exchanging a ball player with what might just be the worlds biggest international arms dealer seems utterly out of proportion; don’t the US have a Russian guy spending time in jail for, I don’t know, jay walking or something?

You're pretty far off the mark here...

We have a pretty racist border, and not in the fences and detention camps way. If a Canadian, French, or British citizen got off an airplane and got bagged with even 2-3 full THC vape cartridges at customs, they'd toss the weed and maybe detain them for a few hours, but they're probably not going to jail. Now if you're a Salvadorean citizen caught at MIA customs with the same thing... this is going to be a bad experience.

There is a concept of prosecutorial discretion. Let's not wrap ourselves up in the (Russian?) flag and claim that this is some principled stand against drug use. It's thuggish. How would you react if, for example, Hugo Chavez had tried to lock up a white American college student in Caracas with a baggy of cocaine? We're all horrified when British citizens get executed in China, Singapore, etc., for violating their bans on importation of drugs. Why are so many people in this thread defending Russia?

I draw a line at defending the nakedly political actions of a megalomaniacal dictatorship committing daily war crimes in a previously neutral, non-aligned country that they've treated like a smash-and-grab grocery store for generations. Get her out of that country.

Absolute shocker to me that notoriously homophobic and racist Russia found a way to detain and sentence a black lesbian from America. Somehow I don't think Gerhard Schroeder (remember him??) is getting pat downs and his bags searched during his many trips to Moscow to visit his pal Vlad.
 
johns624
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:24 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

There are tens of millions of Americans who live within 2-300 miles of Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean.
You are correct. That is why the Caribbean is by far the largest cruise market in the world. Just because most Americans don't go to Europe or Asia, doesn't mean that they haven't traveled to other countries. They've been to all the nations of the Caribbean and Central America. On the other hand, they don't interest me at all.
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:45 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

You’re one of the exceptions that proves the rule.

There are tens of millions of Americans who live within 2-300 miles of Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean.


In my experience the tens of millions of Americans that live within 2-300 miles of the said countries know a lot about and have traveled to said countries. People in Buffalo know a lot about Canada, people in San Diego know a lot about Mexico, people in Miami know a lot about Cuba and the Bahamas, etc. Again, it really isn't any different than in Europe.
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:58 am

vikkyvik wrote:
seb146 wrote:
And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.


So....are you trying to contradict your own point, or what?


I just think it is suspicious that a woman known to play in Russia had weed vape trying to get in. Also, with WNBA drug testing, why would she have it in her bag even with a note from her doctor? Some things are just not adding up for me.
 
N757ST
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 6:00 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:46 am

seb146 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
seb146 wrote:
And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.


So....are you trying to contradict your own point, or what?


I just think it is suspicious that a woman known to play in Russia had weed vape trying to get in. Also, with WNBA drug testing, why would she have it in her bag even with a note from her doctor? Some things are just not adding up for me.



I mean, she admitted that it was hers. What’s not adding up is how she could be so ignorant of the current politics between the US and Russia and still did what she did. As an American, I wouldn’t currently travel to Russia, but if I did I would be extremely cautious. Even then, the benefit would have to be pretty darn extreme. Think collecting that real gold from that Nigerian prince I keep hearing about.
 
User avatar
Aesma
Posts: 15780
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:14 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:44 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
One thing I just thought of - the US is only one of two (??) countries where U.S. citizens are subject to federal income tax on worldwide income regardless of their country of residence.

So according to wiki one 'perk' of this is that:

"Consular protection outside the United States. While traveling abroad, if a person is arrested or detained by foreign authorities, the person can request to speak to somebody from the United States Embassy or Consulate. Consular officials can provide resources for Americans incarcerated abroad, such as a list of local attorneys who speak English. The United States government may even intervene on the person's behalf."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizensh ... ted_States

So part of the citizenship is that the US government might intervene for you regardless what's happened - which is the case here.


Consular protection/assistance is common, it's one reason to have embassies/consulates. As an EU citizen, I get up to 28 consulates/embassies to help me in any country. (28th is an EU consulate)
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14300
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:54 pm

seb146 wrote:
vikkyvik wrote:
seb146 wrote:
And there we go:

EVERYONE knows it is illegal to cross borders with weed in any form. I do not smoke at all but I know that. The brosband smokes the real stuff and he knows that. EVERYONE knows that. Even Brittney Griner.


So....are you trying to contradict your own point, or what?


I just think it is suspicious that a woman known to play in Russia had weed vape trying to get in. Also, with WNBA drug testing, why would she have it in her bag even with a note from her doctor? Some things are just not adding up for me.


So why aren’t you also concerned about Marc Fogel? What’s so important about this women who actually admitted the drugs were hers?
 
SESGDL
Posts: 3191
Joined: Sat Jan 13, 2001 6:25 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:12 pm

Why is everyone assuming that she actually had this substance in her bag and that her admitting to it wasn’t coerced? Suddenly we now have confidence in the Russian legal system. Times they are a changing.

Jeremy
 
User avatar
argentinevol98
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:40 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:46 pm

SESGDL wrote:
Why is everyone assuming that she actually had this substance in her bag and that her admitting to it wasn’t coerced? Suddenly we now have confidence in the Russian legal system. Times they are a changing.

Jeremy


I asked the same thing and got….crickets. I too find the near unanimous assumption that she in fact did this odd. If you go to the Russia-Ukraine war thread there is pretty unanimous agreement that Russia lies about everything yet here there seems to be near unanimous agreement that Russia is suddenly honest. Bizarre. I seriously suspect that certain biases are playing a major role in the perception of this situation
 
dmg626
Posts: 444
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:47 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:58 pm

argentinevol98 wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
Why is everyone assuming that she actually had this substance in her bag and that her admitting to it wasn’t coerced? Suddenly we now have confidence in the Russian legal system. Times they are a changing.

Jeremy


I asked the same thing and got….crickets. I too find the near unanimous assumption that she in fact did this odd. If you go to the Russia-Ukraine war thread there is pretty unanimous agreement that Russia lies about everything yet here there seems to be near unanimous agreement that Russia is suddenly honest. Bizarre. I seriously suspect that certain biases are playing a major role in the perception of this situation


Well her lawyer produced a doctors note that said she had been prescribed medical marijuana so there’s that
 
User avatar
Tugger
Posts: 12130
Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:38 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:32 pm

And other people have been arrested for the same thing, the Russian authorities don't need to make it up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... -rcna37938
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ia-prison/

They also got long jail sentences. But neither are getting the attention and support Ms.Griner is getting.

Tugg
 
User avatar
seb146
Posts: 24787
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 1999 7:19 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:43 am

Tugger wrote:
And other people have been arrested for the same thing, the Russian authorities don't need to make it up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... -rcna37938
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ia-prison/

They also got long jail sentences. But neither are getting the attention and support Ms.Griner is getting.

Tugg


Some people are stupid and believe they can outrun the system. I do not believe Brittney is one of them.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14300
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:58 am

seb146 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And other people have been arrested for the same thing, the Russian authorities don't need to make it up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... -rcna37938
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ia-prison/

They also got long jail sentences. But neither are getting the attention and support Ms.Griner is getting.

Tugg


Some people are stupid and believe they can outrun the system. I do not believe Brittney is one of them.


Then you're not putting the picture together, she admitted the drugs where hers, her doctor also confirmed she had been prescribed medical marijuana, she's guilty. Let it go.
 
User avatar
Kiwirob
Posts: 14300
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:00 am

Tugger wrote:
And other people have been arrested for the same thing, the Russian authorities don't need to make it up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... -rcna37938
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ia-prison/

They also got long jail sentences. But neither are getting the attention and support Ms.Griner is getting.

Tugg


Ditto for Floyd George and Tony Timpa, I wonder what the correlation is??
 
johns624
Posts: 5734
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:51 am

Kiwirob wrote:
seb146 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
And other people have been arrested for the same thing, the Russian authorities don't need to make it up.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/br ... -rcna37938
https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ia-prison/

They also got long jail sentences. But neither are getting the attention and support Ms.Griner is getting.

Tugg


Some people are stupid and believe they can outrun the system. I do not believe Brittney is one of them.


Then you're not putting the picture together, she admitted the drugs where hers, her doctor also confirmed she had been prescribed medical marijuana, she's guilty. Let it go.
Correct. She didn't think she could "outrun the system". She thought that she was a star who was above the system.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15688
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:46 pm

Tugger wrote:
scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:
So yes, one has to be careful when you go into these backwards countries


What would happen to me if I tried to take drugs into America and was caught?
[...]

Good point actually, it is illegal to bring cannabis products of any kind into the USA too and if found she would have been arrested and likely convicted. I don't think it would have been a 9 year sentence but it would have been time in prison.

Tugg


9 years ?? No. This was an over the top abuse of power by a third world country intent on politically motivated attacks on the US to use citizens as pawns for trade.

A sentence of 6 months or a year for carrying maybe, but not 9 years for trafficking . Too many are willing to sit there and ignore the gross overreach of the Russian Authorities here,

B777LRF wrote:
I’m sorry, but are you suffering from a delusion that “freedom” only exists in the US?


Stopped reading right there. Where did you get this from ? Just a chance to rant on about your own baseless asumption?
 
bpatus297
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:51 pm

casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:
scbriml wrote:

What would happen to me if I tried to take drugs into America and was caught?
[...]

Good point actually, it is illegal to bring cannabis products of any kind into the USA too and if found she would have been arrested and likely convicted. I don't think it would have been a 9 year sentence but it would have been time in prison.

Tugg


9 years ?? No. This was an over the top abuse of power by a third world country intent on politically motivated attacks on the US to use citizens as pawns for trade.

A sentence of 6 months or a year for carrying maybe, but not 9 years for trafficking . Too many are willing to sit there and ignore the gross overreach of the Russian Authorities here,

B777LRF wrote:
I’m sorry, but are you suffering from a delusion that “freedom” only exists in the US?


Stopped reading right there. Where did you get this from ? Just a chance to rant on about your own baseless asumption?


Are you judging the sentence against US standards or Russian standards? I would bet my house that Russia is using this politically, but does this sentence fall in line with other similar cases in Russia?


I did a quick google search and according to this article, it appears to be mostly inline with standard Russian sentences. Again, I'm sure that it is being used politically, but she still committed the act.

https://theconversation.com/brittney-gr ... oom-188271
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15688
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:57 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Tugger wrote:
Good point actually, it is illegal to bring cannabis products of any kind into the USA too and if found she would have been arrested and likely convicted. I don't think it would have been a 9 year sentence but it would have been time in prison.

Tugg


9 years ?? No. This was an over the top abuse of power by a third world country intent on politically motivated attacks on the US to use citizens as pawns for trade.

A sentence of 6 months or a year for carrying maybe, but not 9 years for trafficking . Too many are willing to sit there and ignore the gross overreach of the Russian Authorities here,

B777LRF wrote:
I’m sorry, but are you suffering from a delusion that “freedom” only exists in the US?


Stopped reading right there. Where did you get this from ? Just a chance to rant on about your own baseless asumption?


Are you judging the sentence against US standards or Russian standards? I would bet my house that Russia is using this politically, but does this sentence fall in line with other similar cases in Russia? Unless you know, your statement is just an opinion.



Griner gets the top level of a possible 10 year sentence for a first time offense?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/03/spor ... -wnba.html
Nah, even the US doesn't do that. So Russia is using it politically, and even my friends who are from there, know the government is so corrupt that they are using it politically.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:

9 years ?? No. This was an over the top abuse of power by a third world country intent on politically motivated attacks on the US to use citizens as pawns for trade.

A sentence of 6 months or a year for carrying maybe, but not 9 years for trafficking . Too many are willing to sit there and ignore the gross overreach of the Russian Authorities here,



Stopped reading right there. Where did you get this from ? Just a chance to rant on about your own baseless asumption?


Are you judging the sentence against US standards or Russian standards? I would bet my house that Russia is using this politically, but does this sentence fall in line with other similar cases in Russia? Unless you know, your statement is just an opinion.



Griner gets the top level of a possible 10 year sentence for a first time offense?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/03/spor ... -wnba.html
Nah, even the US doesn't do that. So Russia is using it politically, and even my friends who are from there, know the government is so corrupt that they are using it politically.


Did the you read the article? What does what the US justice system have to do with Russia's? Also, I fully believe this is being used politically by Russia, but that doesn't make the sentence out of line with past Russian precedent.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15688
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:10 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Are you judging the sentence against US standards or Russian standards? I would bet my house that Russia is using this politically, but does this sentence fall in line with other similar cases in Russia? Unless you know, your statement is just an opinion.



Griner gets the top level of a possible 10 year sentence for a first time offense?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/03/spor ... -wnba.html
Nah, even the US doesn't do that. So Russia is using it politically, and even my friends who are from there, know the government is so corrupt that they are using it politically.


Did the you read the article? What does what the US justice system have to do with Russia's? Also, I fully believe this is being used politically by Russia, but that doesn't make the sentence out of line with past Russian precedent.



https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/2 ... ce-critics

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

“At her level, 0.7 grams of hashish oil is considered a significant quantity and the majority of cases end in a prison term. If she receives a sentence longer than three years, it’s likely politically motivated, but otherwise, it’s just an illustration of the sort of people serving jail time for drug smuggling in Russia.”
 
bpatus297
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:56 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:


Griner gets the top level of a possible 10 year sentence for a first time offense?
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/03/spor ... -wnba.html
Nah, even the US doesn't do that. So Russia is using it politically, and even my friends who are from there, know the government is so corrupt that they are using it politically.


Did the you read the article? What does what the US justice system have to do with Russia's? Also, I fully believe this is being used politically by Russia, but that doesn't make the sentence out of line with past Russian precedent.



https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/2 ... ce-critics

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

“At her level, 0.7 grams of hashish oil is considered a significant quantity and the majority of cases end in a prison term. If she receives a sentence longer than three years, it’s likely politically motivated, but otherwise, it’s just an illustration of the sort of people serving jail time for drug smuggling in Russia.”



Do you every read someone's post who has a different opinion/view than you for comprehension or is it just to look for points to argue? I said, no less than three times, that I think it is being used politically. Your article doesn't lay out a good case that it is out of line, in fact, I thought it shows how Russia handles most of these cases very similar.

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

The article goes on to talk about how she supported Briona Taylor, which has nothing to do with the Russian sentence.
 
User avatar
casinterest
Posts: 15688
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:30 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:32 pm

bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:

Did the you read the article? What does what the US justice system have to do with Russia's? Also, I fully believe this is being used politically by Russia, but that doesn't make the sentence out of line with past Russian precedent.



https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/7/2 ... ce-critics

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

“At her level, 0.7 grams of hashish oil is considered a significant quantity and the majority of cases end in a prison term. If she receives a sentence longer than three years, it’s likely politically motivated, but otherwise, it’s just an illustration of the sort of people serving jail time for drug smuggling in Russia.”



Do you every read someone's post who has a different opinion/view than you for comprehension or is it just to look for points to argue? I said, no less than three times, that I think it is being used politically. Your article doesn't lay out a good case that it is out of line, in fact, I thought it shows how Russia handles most of these cases very similar.

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

The article goes on to talk about how she supported Briona Taylor, which has nothing to do with the Russian sentence.


The article states three years. This conversation started because you jumped in about my assertion that the sentence was too long. Don't talk about points to argue when it was you who jumped in.
 
bpatus297
Posts: 839
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:51 am

Re: Brittney Griner Sentenced to 9 yrs

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:48 pm

casinterest wrote:
bpatus297 wrote:
casinterest wrote:



Do you every read someone's post who has a different opinion/view than you for comprehension or is it just to look for points to argue? I said, no less than three times, that I think it is being used politically. Your article doesn't lay out a good case that it is out of line, in fact, I thought it shows how Russia handles most of these cases very similar.

“Foreigners tend to receive stricter sentences because it’s harder to impose a non-custodial sentence,” said Levinson.

The article goes on to talk about how she supported Briona Taylor, which has nothing to do with the Russian sentence.


The article states three years. This conversation started because you jumped in about my assertion that the sentence was too long. Don't talk about points to argue when it was you who jumped in.


The three years read like an opinion to me. I don't see any facts to back that up.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cledaybuck, GDB, Noris, seb146, SQ22, USPIT10L and 28 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos