Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Airstud
Topic Author

Seeking Chromebook recommendations

Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:28 pm

Time to get a Chromebook, and I need recomammendations.

Major purpose will be working on spreadsheets (Google Sheets, obviously), writing (have not yet tried Google's cloud-based word processing options (is "word processing" even still a phrase, or am I stuck in the 90's...)) also light web browsing, email, etc., much more so than for consuming video content; and not at all for gaming. (Gaming schmaming.)

Requirements: 17" screen (you heard me), and also apparently a glass trackpad is comfier than the other trackpads? I hate all trackpads because if any part of your hand comes within three millimeters of them the system decides that you are purposefully using it and your cursor jumps to where you don't want it. I've read that one manufacturer, I think it was either Asus or Acer, had introduced a trackpad that can tell the difference between your finger and your palm but I am not remotely convinced that that's possible.

In addition to whatever the best type of trackpad is, I also require that my Chromebook have a long battery life.

Things that I think would be nice extras are a backlit keyboard (or is this the battery-drain that some tell me it is?) and maybe also that spin-around type dealy, where it folds up in such a way as to function as a tablet. I'm not a fan of tablet computing but if I'm to take this on a plane and want to watch a movie then that would be a nice feature to have, though spare in-flight time like that is better spent reading books and I'm currently telling myself that that's what I will in fact do.

One thing I don't understand about Chromebooks so far is the different storage capacities; 'cause I thought the whole purpose of a Chromebook is that it's only used when connected; and that all your data is stored in the cloud.

(Also would I be able to plug my phone into a USB port on the Chromebook and share my phone's Internet connection that way? I don't want to burn through my mobile hot-spot allowance if I can help it.)

So, I believe that's what I'm looking for in a Chromebook. Are there other features/issues I should be considering? I'm budgeting somewhere between $500 and $600, if that's realistic enough. : /

Ps762

Re: Seeking Chromebook recommendations

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:34 am

Hi,

Firstly sorry in that I have no idea about Chromebooks but I thought I'd also try and post since getting one has also been something I have been considering (albeit from a bit afar still currently!) for a while. For me though I'm kinda looking just for something simple and budget if I can more just to explore and stuff. And also although not a solution maybe just 3 points from here?

1. I currently have a Dell Windows 10 laptop which I'm told has really nice looking backlit keys (I am visually impaired so can't see them). But regarding battery life so far I'm not sure they are doing much but who knows. This thing is still fairly new so battery is good maybe6 hours but I don't personally believe anyone has made a truly great battery yet? My iPad for example now is like 7 years old and battery is going I think for sure. Still 7 years without a problem I can't complain really(!)

2. Obviously with sight issues the accessibility features of any Chromebook would be a thing for me. They probably have something included in terms of screen reading but might be interesting to explore.

3. And finally on the trackpad accidental thing I have had something similar with my Dell laptop with sometimes hitting the touchscreen? For a while I just disabled the whole thing in devices but am now giving it another chance. But it might be a cool idea if a laptop might have a really simple function key or switch to toggle the trackpad on or off? Maybe some of them already do or maybe something to submit to Google/MS/Apple feedback(!)

Anyway sorry this was a bit off-topic but hopefully maybe someone might be able to advise a bit and would hopefully be able to learn a bit more as well here.

Anyway with many thanks only sorry again for not having much info from my part,

Ps762