Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MohawkWeekend

Re: Mar-A-Lago raided by FBI.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:40 am

I have been getting a text on my phone every half hour from the Repub's asking for money to protect ex-President Trump from Biden's FBI.

Learned my lesson - never donate money in your name to any political party. FYI - I donated to a moderate Republican Senate candidate who got beat by a Trump endorsed one.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:49 am

ACDC8 wrote:
It's all under the DoJ. FBI is the investigation & enforcement arm, the Attorneys General are the prosecutorial arm. But they function together for a given objective.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to understand on how this works. Such as can the Attorney General present a case and instruct the FBI to investigate it?

Yes, in fact it's almost certain that the AG would have to approve such a high profile warrant, as well as the FBI director, as the political pushback would be substantial. However it's unlikely they are directly involved in the case, they would assign it to their offices and teams. The exception to this would be if a special prosecutor is appointed, that person would necessarily be directly involved.

In this instance, the case was referred to the DoJ by the National Archives. The DoJ would then evaluate whether there is merit or cause for a formal investigation. Apparently they decided there was.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:00 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:
I have been getting a text on my phone every half hour from the Repub's asking for money to protect ex-President Trump from Biden's FBI.

Learned my lesson - never donate money in your name to any political party. FYI - I donated to a moderate Republican Senate candidate who got beat by a Trump endorsed one.

The GOP strategy now seems to be to leverage any investigation against them, into a fundraising campaign. DePerno did the same yesterday, as soon as he became the subject of investigation, the fundraising texts and e-mails went out. They must have them prepared and ready to go

Makes you wonder how many times they can go back to that well, before supporters ask why they are continuously under investigation.

Of course their answer will be that you have to help us thwart the deep state conspiracy against us. But even a magician can only use the same misdirection and trick so many times, before the audience catches on.

Aaron747

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:48 am

MohawkWeekend wrote:

The FBI director is a Trump appointee. The current GOP party apparatus is toxically misinforming and fleecing the common man.

TheSonntag

Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:34 am

This guy needs to go to jail. GOP must get purged from this facism.

tommy1808

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:04 am

Tugger wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I was just on a "gun forum" and a few members opined that they didn't understand why the Secret Service didn't "defend" the property. They obviously don't know what their job is.

Anyone who finds themselves asking "why didn't the Secret Service shoot at the FBI agents?" should probably reevaluate some things.

Quite probably the request for docs went to the Secret Service and they turned to the FBI to carry out the warrant and search.

Tugg

I can not recall where i read it, but it was along the lines of "only the Mar a Lago Secret Service details was informed, so they don´t mistake the FBI team for a assault team using disguises".

best regards
Thomas

scbriml

Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:30 am

Makes you wonder how many times they can go back to that well, before supporters ask why they are continuously under investigation.

I suspect the average Trumper won't link the two because they've been told it's a witch-hunt. To reach the conclusion you're suggesting would require the application of logic and reason, which are in short supply amongst the folks putting their hands in their pockets to fund this circus.

Dutchy

Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:51 am

This shouldn't be a political issue, this is a legal issue between Trump and the institutions of law enforcement and justice. Making something like this a political issue is a very dangerous precedent.

TriJets

Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:20 pm

Trump is the worst thing to ever happen to the GOP. Instead of being about political ideals and principles, the party has become a cult that is obsessed with one man. Trump could come out tomorrow and say that we need to reinstate Roe, ban all guns, and forcibly vaccinate the entire country and suddenly the GOP would be in favor of those things.

zakuivcustom

Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:10 pm

TriJets wrote:
Trump is the worst thing to ever happen to the GOP. Instead of being about political ideals and principles, the party has become a cult that is obsessed with one man. Trump could come out tomorrow and say that we need to reinstate Roe, ban all guns, and forcibly vaccinate the entire country and suddenly the GOP would be in favor of those things.

To be fair to Trump - he did get boo in his rally telling people to get jab...(Trump himself isn't against vax overall b/c he's a big part of the effort funding that and basically say "Jab will mean pandemic over" repeatedly in 2020)

MohawkWeekend wrote:

The GOP strategy now seems to be to leverage any investigation against them, into a fundraising campaign. DePerno did the same yesterday, as soon as he became the subject of investigation, the fundraising texts and e-mails went out. They must have them prepared and ready to go

Of course their answer will be that you have to help us thwart the deep state conspiracy against us. But even a magician can only use the same misdirection and trick so many times, before the audience catches on.

GOP keeps talking how about African-American crying "victimhood" all the time (right or not...that's not the discussion here), then here they are now, doing essentially the same thing.

Gotta love those hypocrites.

MaverickM11

Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:40 pm

"After calling for Hillary Clinton to be jailed, in 2018 Trump signed a law that stiffened the penalty for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents from one year to five years, turning it into a felony offense"

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1557196801303662592

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

victrola

Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:51 pm

Either this is the most reckless decision ever made by the Department of Justice, the FBI and a federal judge or the crime is very serious and the evidence against Trump is conclusive.

Does anyone know the name of the judge who signed off on this and who appointed him?

NIKV69

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:16 pm

scbriml wrote:

I suspect the average Trumper won't link the two because they've been told it's a witch-hunt. To reach the conclusion you're suggesting would require the application of logic and reason, which are in short supply amongst the folks putting their hands in their pockets to fund this circus.

If the evidence is there let's see it. The Russia thing was a joke so let see some red meat already and arrest him because the timing is really suspect.

CaptHadley

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:28 pm

When you’ve got nothing just throw crap out there. Your mindless base will eat it up.
https://www.businessinsider.com/fox-jes ... 2022-8?amp

seb146

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:29 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Ok, who is then?

Attorney General maybe?

Just been doing some reading up on how this all works in the US, so that would be my guess.

No help from the audience. Nik made the claim, let Nik answer.

To execute a no-knock warrant on a high profile person is unprecedented. Yes, the AG would have to be involved just to be sure all of the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted. But, because this was an FBI operation, the head of the FBI would know about this and sign off on this. And Christopher Wray, head of the FBI was appointed by the former occupant of the White House in 2017.

seb146

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:33 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

If the evidence is there let's see it. The Russia thing was a joke so let see some red meat already and arrest him because the timing is really suspect.

Actually

https://www.businessinsider.com/paul-ma ... als-2022-8
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 40727.html
https://www.yahoo.com/news/ex-trump-cam ... 03308.html

Paul Manafort admits to sharing polling data with Russians. You know: because there is no "there" there.

CaptHadley

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:48 pm

This is awesome :D First you say only guilty and mob people plead the fifth. What happened??!!

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-p ... do-1732549

NIKV69

Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:50 pm

seb146 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Ok, who is then?

Attorney General maybe?

Just been doing some reading up on how this all works in the US, so that would be my guess.

AG? Much higher than that. I believe it's a combo of Pelosi and Kamala.

seb146 wrote:

Actually

Paul Manafort admits to sharing polling data with Russians. You know: because there is no "there" there.

How does sharing polling info effect the outcome of the election?

scbriml

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:38 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
This is awesome :D First you say only guilty and mob people plead the fifth. What happened??!!

Reality has bitten?

And there it is, the inevitable cry....
""When your family, your company and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors and the Fake News Media, you have no choice," Trump said."

scbriml

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:39 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
"After calling for Hillary Clinton to be jailed, in 2018 Trump signed a law that stiffened the penalty for the unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents from one year to five years, turning it into a felony offense"

This has the potential to be the greatest own goal of all time! :bouncy:

Aaron747

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Trump can release the search warrant himself, but won't. That would quickly put to bed what the FBI was looking at and why. Oh well.

victrola

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:55 pm

I think this Fox News video is priceless:

https://youtu.be/82H27rlXavc

petertenthije

Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:59 pm

scbriml wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

This has the potential to be the greatest own goal of all time! :bouncy:

Closest thing to sport he’s done in a long time! (Golf ain’t sport)

luckyone

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm

scbriml wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Reality has bitten?

And there it is, the inevitable cry....
""When your family, your company and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt supported by lawyers, prosecutors and the Fake News Media, you have no choice," Trump said."

Nobody should expect any intellectual consistency from Trump, or most any other politician for that matter. What he says and does are more often than not very different things. For some reason, some people find that endearing.

scbriml

Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:39 pm

victrola wrote:
I think this Fox News video is priceless:

https://youtu.be/82H27rlXavc

That's completely different because..... Hillary! :rotfl:

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:49 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

This has to do with ONLY ONE thing. Trump had 15 boxes of White House and Presidential materials at Mara Lago, some of which were marked classified and top secret. The National Archives, upon recovering these documents, referred them to the DoJ. This warrant was related to that investigation. It's clear there was suspicion that not all materials had been turned over, hence the warrant.

Trump has an inventory of what the FBI removed in the warrant, that's required by law. He's free to release that info at any time, to clear his name, but has not. Instead he has gone back to the "witch hunt" well again, for the umpteenth time. When will his supporters ever learn?

Sharing polling info indicates that that there were discussions between the Trump campaign and the Russians about the election. It's been established that Russians did try to influence the election outcome. This would be one way in which the Trump campaign contributed to that effort.

Does that rise to the level of collusion? Probably not, as the Trump campaign did not ask the Russians to take specific actions to assist them. But it's abundantly clear that they didn't object to the unsolicited assistance either, even though it was a foreign power interfering in an American election.

SL1200MK2

Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

This has to do with ONLY ONE thing. Trump had 15 boxes of White House and Presidential materials at Mara Lago, some of which were marked classified and top secret. The National Archives, upon recovering these documents, referred them to the DoJ. This warrant was related to that investigation. It's clear there was suspicion that not all materials had been turned over, hence the warrant.

Trump has an inventory of what the FBI removed in the warrant, that's required by law. He's free to release that info at any time, to clear his name, but has not. Instead he has gone back to the "witch hunt" well again, for the umpteenth time. When will his supporters ever learn?

Sharing polling info indicates that that there were discussions between the Trump campaign and the Russians about the election. It's been established that Russians did try to influence the election outcome. This would be one way in which the Trump campaign contributed to that effort.

Does that rise to the level of collusion? Probably not, as the Trump campaign did not ask the Russians to take specific actions to assist them. But it's abundantly clear that they didn't object to the unsolicited assistance either, even though it was a foreign power interfering in an American election.

She’s truly not worth discussing this with

dmg626

Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:34 pm

Man, this guy must be a serious threat to the dems for them to constantly go after him.

Tugger

Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:39 pm

dmg626 wrote:
Man, this guy must be a serious threat to the dems for them to constantly go after him.

Or he did something illegal and is a criminal, being pursued as any criminal is.

... Nah!
(But but but what about Hillary?)

Tugg

johns624

Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:46 pm

Tugger wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Or he did something illegal and is a criminal, being pursued as any criminal is.

... Nah!
(But but but what about Hillary?)

Tugg
You forgot Hunter, too! Let's see--somebody's father holds a very high office in government and their offspring, you can't hold a real job, use it to get positions and make money. Are we talking about Hunter Biden or Ivanka, Eric and Junior?

Aaron747

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:16 pm

Meanwhile the violent reactions to toxic tribalism in the country continue: death threats, antisemitic slurs, and doxxing underway for the judge who signed the Mar-a-lago warrant:

https://twitter.com/daithaigilbert/stat ... yuzDD735eQ

CaptHadley

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:20 pm

dmg626 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:35 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Meanwhile the violent reactions to toxic tribalism in the country continue: death threats, antisemitic slurs, and doxxing underway for the judge who signed the Mar-a-lago warrant:

https://twitter.com/daithaigilbert/stat ... yuzDD735eQ

This is truly disgraceful. As were the Trump implications of the FBI planting evidence.

If Trump adheres to past behavior, these implications turn into accusations once he loses the battle. First he plants the seed, then he reaps the harvest. That's what he did with election fraud, and it caused a riot. What will he do this time? These people assaulted the Capitol, will they assault the FBI? That could result in an armed confrontation with a lot of damage inflicted to both sides.

Tugger

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:54 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

Yeah, pretty much.

More accurately, he's more of a serious threat to the country than "the Dems". Just ask any actual Republican's (not Trumplican's or his sycophants).

Tugg

Tugger

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:57 pm

If Trump adheres to past behavior, these implications turn into accusations once he loses the battle. First he plants the seed, then he reaps the harvest. That's what he did with election fraud, and it caused a riot. What will he do this time? These people assaulted the Capitol, will they assault the FBI? That could result in an armed confrontation with a lot of damage inflicted to both sides.

I am realizing that Trump is a cult leader now. And his followers have become a cult, have made him that. It is so sad and strange to watch. They truly suffer Trump derangement syndrome.

Tugg

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:40 am

Tugger wrote:

I am realizing that Trump is a cult leader now. And his followers have become a cult, have made him that. It is so sad and strange to watch. They truly suffer Trump derangement syndrome.

Tugg

Their chief belief seems to be that he was 'returning government to the people'. That's the one that really blows my mind, time and again.

seb146

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:01 am

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
Attorney General maybe?

That's some hard core conspiracy theory right there....

NIKV69 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Actually

Ask federal election officials. He broke federal election law. And he admitted it.

seb146

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:06 am

CaptHadley wrote:

This alone is so very delicious it must be fattening! Oh, what a tangled web we weave!

All this "but HILLARY!!!" from the right only... Hillary testified UNDER OATH for 11 (ELEVEN!!) hours. Giving complete sentence answers. She even took responsibility for the three deaths in Benghazi, even after we knew the head of the team there said he did not want extra security.

But, the MAGA king is pleading the Fifth. The Constitutional Amendment about self-incrimination. But, wait.... these same people tried to shred the Constitution because their guy lost. They HATE the Constitution. And, yet, their leader is pleading the Fifth! Oh, how delicious is this!

Newark727

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:21 am

dmg626 wrote:

So much that the very laws of cause and effect no longer apply, apparently. Ask any long tenured New Yorker, and they'll tell you he was a lying slimeball paying to settle lawsuits back in the 1980s, before he'd breathed a single word about "making America great again." When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:25 am

Newark727 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

So much that the very laws of cause and effect no longer apply, apparently. Ask any long tenured New Yorker, and they'll tell you he was a lying slimeball paying to settle lawsuits back in the 1980s, before he'd breathed a single word about "making America great again." When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

My first knowledge of Donald Trump was as the Junk Bond King in the 80's. He made a lot of money but wasn't widely respected for his methods. That reputation and behavior seems to have stuck with him.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:31 am

Newark727 wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

My first knowledge of Donald Trump was as the Junk Bond King in the 80's. He made a lot of money but wasn't widely respected for his methods. That reputation and behavior seems to have stuck with him.

I think you're thinking of Michael Milken....different coast entirely.

LMP737

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:32 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Don't know why, but for some reason I'm envisioning this with that scene in the movie "Casino" with Joe Pesci hitting golf balls at the FBI plane

Nah, I'm envisioning Loraine Bracco in Goodfellas dumping blow down the toilet and hiding a gun in her panties. ;)

CaptHadley

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:05 am

Tugger wrote:

Tugg

My brother works for a company that has a setup like "The Office" He works in the corporate area on the top floors. The shipping and manual labor aspect of the company is on the lower floors/basement. he's like you hate to place labels on people however those wearing the white shirts and the like are normal, can talk about the issues regarding both parties and keep it civil. However when you start heading downstairs it gets more MAGA land and the F Joe Biden, Let's go Brandon rhetoric becomes more pronounced. These employees aren't very well educated with the majority of them having GED's. I think that feeds into the popular opinion that those who a trump supports just aren't that intelligent and are easily swayed.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:09 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

My brother works for a company that has a setup like "The Office" He works in the corporate area on the top floors. The shipping and manual labor aspect of the company is on the lower floors/basement. he's like you hate to place labels on people however those wearing the white shirts and the like are normal, can talk about the issues regarding both parties and keep it civil. However when you start heading downstairs it gets more MAGA land and the F Joe Biden, Let's go Brandon rhetoric becomes more pronounced. These employees aren't very well educated with the majority of them having GED's. I think that feeds into the popular opinion that those who a trump supports just aren't that intelligent and are easily swayed.

Worldview/critical thinking is a big component, but another is vulnerability. Some people are simply insecure enough about this/that to be easily swayed by division agents who are skilled at emotional manipulation.

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:17 am

Aaron747 wrote:

I think you're thinking of Michael Milken....different coast entirely.

Yes, that's right, thanks for the correction. Trump as President pardoned the Junk Bond King, but made his money in real estate. I got that confused. I remember the Atlantic City stuff and some other deals that attracted negative attention. But Trump was not the Junk Bond King.

CaptHadley

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:19 am

Aaron747 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Worldview/critical thinking is a big component, but another is vulnerability. Some people are simply insecure enough about this/that to be easily swayed by division agents who are skilled at emotional manipulation.

Absolutely, they have a few TV's down there and every one of them is on Fox news, all day. He said he's asked them why don't they switch it up and watch something completely different. Their reply is that Fox is the only news source they trust and they need to keep it on in case the sheet hits the fan. Not sure to be afraid or feel sorry for people like that.

Aaron747

Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:39 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Absolutely, they have a few TV's down there and every one of them is on Fox news, all day. He said he's asked them why don't they switch it up and watch something completely different. Their reply is that Fox is the only news source they trust and they need to keep it on in case the sheet hits the fan. Not sure to be afraid or feel sorry for people like that.

Reminds me of any Jordan Klepper segment. The last one is hilarious and terrifying - these completely nuts people in Wisconsin take all of this stuff 100% seriously:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs6mBh2uXRM

Pizza symbols for pedophilia? What in tarnation...maybe it would be good for the country to shut down the non-retail internet for a minimum of 2 years and unclog all the junk from people's brains.

scbriml

Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:26 am

CaptHadley wrote:
I think that feeds into the popular opinion that those who a trump supports just aren't that intelligent and are easily swayed.

You only have to watch a few Jordan Klepper videos to know how dumb some of them are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDhm808oU4

petertenthije

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:22 am

scbriml wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
I think that feeds into the popular opinion that those who a trump supports just aren't that intelligent and are easily swayed.

You only have to watch a few Jordan Klepper videos to know how dumb some of them are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDhm808oU4

Jordan Klepper is great.

Best one was when a Trump supporter was saying the economy was doing great and he was busier then ever. In his own words "I am literally making four times as much as I was making when Obama was president".

Jordan asked what job he had, turns out he worked for a debt relief company.
The segment ends with both of them laughing, not making it clear whether the penny actually dropped with the Trumper.

@ 5:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH329MmRikQ

Exrampieyyz

Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:52 am

Here's a conspiracy theory for you.

Chris Wray the trump appointed FBI director gets a call from trump,
"Hey have your boys raid my place, then I can scream and yell and get all my cult followers even more riled up. Get me all over the news on all the networks, and show how corrupt this government is. Then I got a real reason to run. This will make me, the great donnie great again"

There's a script for South Park in there I think