Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACDC8

Re: Mar-A-Lago raided by FBI.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:35 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Searching for nuclear documents you say? Hmmm.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/politics ... index.html

They are good nuclear plans. Some are saying they’re the best nuclear plans

:rotfl:

CaptHadley

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:41 am

ACDC8 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
Searching for nuclear documents you say? Hmmm.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/11/politics ... index.html

They are good nuclear plans. Some are saying they’re the best nuclear plans

:rotfl:[/quote

So, Jared gets 2 billion from the saudis, Mnuchin gets a billion. Saudis were just here for the golf thing, trumps first trip as president was to Saudi Arabia. Ivana was cremated, yet it took 8 people to carry her casket? Hmmm, maybe I should confer with EA AS CO or NIKV69 to get their take on things.

sierrakilo44

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:10 am

N14AZ wrote:
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!

Why just lock him up? The last people who sold nuclear secrets to an adversary were Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. Found guilty of Espionage and put into the electric chair.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:29 am

CNN, NBC News, Scripps, and WaPo have filed a court request to unseal the complete docket of the case regarding official documents kept at Mara Lago, dating to the initial referral from the National Archives in February.

The DoJ has until 5 pm ET Monday to file their response to the request. They must also make a redacted copy available to the public.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html

My guess is DoJ will oppose, so as not to compromise the case they are building against Trump. They had requested only the warrant, two attachments, and the seized inventory be released in their filing Thursday.

Trump has until 3 pm ET today to file an objection to that release.
Last edited by Avatar2go on Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

aristoenigma

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:31 am

Outrageous. Probably just stupidity and messiness that is hallmark of this POTUS 45. Shudder to think some wealthy donors got photocopies of Iran nuclear intel put onto private jets to Israeli Mossad. Others that did that are serving life sentences except for the guy 45 pardoned. Don't even want to think about oligarchs partying at the Mar-A-Lago getting stuff that wound way back to Putin?

petertenthije

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Found guilty of Espionage and put into the electric chair.

With all the support Trump’s had over the years, it might be time to build electric bleachers.

N14AZ

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:41 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
LOCK HIM UP!
LOCK HIM UP!

Why just lock him up? The last people who sold nuclear secrets to an adversary were Julius and Ethel Rosenberg. Found guilty of Espionage and put into the electric chair.

Because I would feel sorry for the electric chair… 8-)

casinterest

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:04 pm

Having watched all this play out over the last few days while out of town, i had to laugh. The GOP runs to protect Trump again, even though it fhis was Hunter Biden, they would have been cheering it on.
The GOP is such a cult now, that it can't even function as a political party with any seriousness.

If there is nothing to find, then the DOJ and FBI will be wrong, but it doesn't make the raid wrong.

When I used to enter military bases, I had to agree that anything in my possession was subject to inspection and seizure, and anything of Federal property that I took, was still federal property, that could be asked for at any time.

There is no reason for the Trump cult to be in a huff over a federal warrant that is valid. Unless they don't consider themselves Americans anymore.

pune

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:42 pm

petertenthije wrote:
scbriml wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
I think that feeds into the popular opinion that those who a trump supports just aren't that intelligent and are easily swayed.

You only have to watch a few Jordan Klepper videos to know how dumb some of them are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzDhm808oU4

Jordan Klepper is great.

Best one was when a Trump supporter was saying the economy was doing great and he was busier then ever. In his own words "I am literally making four times as much as I was making when Obama was president".

Jordan asked what job he had, turns out he worked for a debt relief company.
The segment ends with both of them laughing, not making it clear whether the penny actually dropped with the Trumper.

@ 5:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH329MmRikQ

I have seen that one.

pune

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:55 pm

flyingturtle wrote:
seb146 wrote:
I wonder if copies were made of these classified documents and given to others outside the United States? I am not saying this absolutely happened, but I just wonder. Knowing the former administration, I wouldn't doubt it...

If I would sell top secret documents to foreign agents, I would do exactly as Trump has done: Request classified files on paper.

So, request documents on paper. Invite a Russian diplomat with a camera, who spends the night photographing the sheets. The diplomat then travels back. Due to his status, his baggage won't be searched for the SD card...

You cannot trace a document once you printed it out. But any good computer system which is designed to handle classified files would store checksums of every document you open, copy, change, edit, save, compress, send and whatever. It would provide a seamless documentation of whatever you did with any file.

"...wonder if copies were made..."

Of course not. Every photocopier made since the 2000ies has a hard disk, with a cache that intermittently stores everything you copy. You simply do not scan or photocopy a document if you want to slurp it to your favorite Russian agent. The FBI and any other agency know how to surreptitiously exchange the hard disk of a photocopier, either to steal data, or to covertly investigate suspicious document handling.

You buy a mid-range camera for 200 to 300 bucks, a fresh SD card, and start photographing the sheets.

That way you can destroy the evidence much better.

Loving this. It is just so easy.

Aaron747

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:10 pm

Have not looked at a comment thread from Trump defenders in a long time - the thread on this nutty Fox interview is a sight to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3T7DLrKIs

Tugger

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:24 pm

I will return to the idea that this is not a "charge him" related task. Only a retrieval of requested docs.

I don't think there is anything that will happen to Trump and I don't think anything was intended to be done to him. Just get the docs.

Of course he and his supporters will make hay about how the DoJ backtracked when Trump stood up to them or "they realized they had lost" or whatever.

Tugg

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:24 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
Have not looked at a comment thread from Trump defenders in a long time - the thread on this nutty Fox interview is a sight to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC3T7DLrKIs

Denial has been a Trump standby for years. In the interview, Bobb was asked if she knew with certainty there were no nuclear documents present, and she hedged, saying she had not asked Trump but as far as she knew, there were not.

Yet the Trump camp has also denied there were classified materials present, but both National Archives and DoJ have said there were. So you'd have to believe that the Archives also have a vendetta against Trump, and are out to get him. Along with the rest of the sane world.

Also notice how none of them will address the elephant in the room. Release the warrant and the inventory, that ends the debate as to what this is really about

STT757

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:16 pm

Credit to Tiger Woods, he turned down a reported $700 Million to participate in the Saudi Liv tour.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34330962/tiger-woods-turned-offer-neighborhood-700-800-million-approached-join-liv-golf-greg-norman-says

If Tiger Woods was offered $700 Million to play in the tournament, how much was Trump paid by the Saudis to host it at his New Jersey golf course? That is money laundering, apparently something along these lines has been an ongoing effort.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/flynn-backed-plan-transfer-nuclear-tech-saudis-may-have-broken-n973021

CaptHadley

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:53 pm

Espionage you don't say. The GQP are just winning everyday! This crap gets better every hour!!

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/08/1 ... s-00051507

emperortk

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:41 pm

Tugger wrote:
I will return to the idea that this is not a "charge him" related task. Only a retrieval of requested docs.

I don't think there is anything that will happen to Trump and I don't think anything was intended to be done to him. Just get the docs.

Of course he and his supporters will make hay about how the DoJ backtracked when Trump stood up to them or "they realized they had lost" or whatever.

Tugg

I am afraid you may be right on your first two points. Many on the left are gleeful, thinking this will be Trump's undoing. It likely will not.

Though, I think your final sentence way understates the negative consequences that will follow.

For the millions on the right divorced from reality, this will be further confirmation that Democrats have weaponized the FBI/DoJ and are playing dirty. Trump tried to weaken the DoJ's independence from the President and demand its loyalty, so naturally, many on the right will claim that Biden has done the same. In turn, this episode will become the justification and excuse for far worse actions if/when Republicans regain power.

I fail to see any possible positive outcome here.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Trump World is claiming that the president has unlimited ability to declassify documents, and the seized documents were only marked secret and unclassified because they forgot to mark them unclassified.

Further they state that Trump declassified these documents because of their importance to the world, and so the public would have access to them. To ensure that would happen, he didn't give them to the National Archives, but hid them away at Mara Lago instead.

Overnight Trump posted that he encouraged the DoJ to release the documents. However did not release the documents himself.

Seriously, who would possibly believe this story. The president can order documents declassified, but there is a formal process and the documents are carefully reviewed beforehand, then made available through government outlets.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... -rcna42311

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm

Christina Bobb has been appearing on Fox News claiming there were no classified documents seized. However in the search warrant, she signed (on behalf of Trump) the inventory of what was taken, which very clearly lists materials marked secret or classified. Here is a link to the warrant:

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... arrant.pdf

ltbewr

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Now take the next step - Arrest Donald Trump and others close to him in the next few days, arraign them felony charges, no bail and jail until trial or a harsh plea deal, who allowed the confidential and top secret to be transferred to Mar-A-Largo. This may be one of the biggest national security breaches in modern American history and should totally destroy Trump.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:44 pm

I think the country should flock to Mara Lago, to visit the Grand Opening of the new branch of the National Archives, where Trump has preserved his Presidential materials for public viewing. :D

ReverseFlow

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:57 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Now take the next step - Arrest Donald Trump and others close to him in the next few days, arraign them felony charges, no bail and jail until trial or a harsh plea deal, who allowed the confidential and top secret to be transferred to Mar-A-Largo. This may be one of the biggest national security breaches in modern American history and should totally destroy Trump.

I'd hazard a guess that the jail will have Trump supporters/cultists outside of it pretty soon.

For breaches you've obviously forgotten Snowdon etc where things were leaked to the public.
At the moment we don't know if anyone else saw the documents.
But perhaps they were used as napkins at Mar-A-Largo. Who knows.

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:12 pm

I think Tugg is right, Trump flouted all the rules, but to charge him you have to prove intent. That's a high bar to meet, which is why Hillary also wasn't charged.

If I had to guess, I suspect Trump's intent was to monetize these documents in some way, perhaps by writing a book, or launching a TV show about the Presidency. We all know something like that is coming.

casinterest

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:15 pm

I think Tugg is right, Trump flouted all the rules, but to charge him you have to prove intent. That's a high bar to meet, which is why Hillary also wasn't charged.

If I had to guess, I suspect Trump's intent was to monetize these documents in some way, perhaps by writing a book, or launching a TV show about the Presidency. We all know something like that is coming.

You don't need intent on the Espionage act.
He flagrantly took the documents from the White House to his home.
That is criminal right there. There is a process for classified documents to become unclassified, and Trump did not follow them,

In other news we have gone this week from FBI planted the evidence to , I did it , but i declared it all unclassified, and they could have had it back at anytime from Trump and crew.

https://twitter.com/themaxburns/status/ ... 1885442048?

Tugger

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:20 pm

casinterest wrote:
In other news we have gone this week from FBI planted the evidence to , I did it , but i declared it all unclassified, and they could have had it back at anytime from Trump and crew.

Love his whataboutism there...

Tugg

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:24 pm

The National Archives has stepped in to debunk Trump's claims that Obama took documents with him to Chicago on leaving office. In fact those documents never left the custody of the Archives, as is required by law.

After being cataloged, some of them were loaned to the Obama Presidential library. All of which was done legally and in accordance with the rules.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-oba ... 2022-8?amp

casinterest

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:25 pm

Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Love his whataboutism there...

Tugg

Yeah, The national archives actually still has complete control over the Obama files, and they were moved there by the National Archives in conjunction with the Obama team. Following the process between federal agencies.

Whatever happened to Trump's "Best People". Shouldn't they have had a handle on this?

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:32 pm

casinterest wrote:

That is criminal right there. There is a process for classified documents to become unclassified, and Trump did not follow them,

It's true that intent is not required by the statute. But by long US precedent in criminal law, intent is required to establish criminality. So if they charge him, his lawyers would claim he had no criminal intent, and it's hard to prove otherwise. This is what Comey meant when he said no reasonable prosecutor would charge Hillary.

It's been head-spinning to keep up with the flood of lies and misrepresentations made to defend Trump this week. There's no longer any real attempt at believability or consistency. It's actually rather sad and pathetic.

victrola

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:48 pm

So, the entire Republican party is standing behind Trump. Are they stupid enough to think that Garland would have done this unless he had an airtight case against Trump? Do a simple risks vs benefits analysis here. Would a cautious guy like Merrick Garland launch a fishing expedition against Mar-a-Lago given that, if he found nothing, the cost would be a major political disaster for the DOJ, FBI, and the Democrats? Not to mention the legal consequences of such a reckless stunt. Furthermore, Biden was having a good week, and things were looking up for the Democrats. They were hoping that the story of the week was going to be how Biden was back on track. Now that narrative in in the trash.

Does anyone really think that savvy political operators like McCarthy, McConnel, Rubio, and Cruz don't grasp this? There is no way the Attorney General, the Trump appointed head of the FBI, and a Federal judge would have set this in motion unless the evidence against Trump is enough to convict. Otherwise, why take the risk?

luckyone

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:56 pm

victrola wrote:
So, the entire Republican party is standing behind Trump. Are they stupid enough to think that Garland would have done this unless he had an airtight case against Trump? Do a simple risks vs benefits analysis here. Would a cautious guy like Merrick Garland launch a fishing expedition against Mar-a-Lago given that, if he found nothing, the cost would be a major political disaster for the DOJ, FBI, and the Democrats? Not to mention the legal consequences of such a reckless stunt. Furthermore, Biden was having a good week, and things were looking up for the Democrats. They were hoping that the story of the week was going to be how Biden was back on track. Now that narrative in in the trash.

Does anyone really think that savvy political operators like McCarthy, McConnel, Rubio, and Cruz don't grasp this? There is no way the Attorney General, the Trump appointed head of the FBI, and a Federal judge would have set this in motion unless the evidence against Trump is enough to convict. Otherwise, why take the risk?

It doesn’t matter if they do. A significant percentage of primary voters do.

scbriml

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 pm

casinterest wrote:
Whatever happened to Trump's "Best People". Shouldn't they have had a handle on this?

They were too busy trying to get their pardons arranged.

ThePointblank

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:06 pm

I'm interested to know he held onto files related to the President of France. I'm sure the French would also want to know as well!

ACDC8

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:59 pm

The dude probably uses the same logic to declassify sensitive material as he does assessing his net worth

What a baboon.
victrola wrote:
So, the entire Republican party is standing behind Trump. Are they stupid enough to think that Garland would have done this unless he had an airtight case against Trump?

They're too stupid to think period.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 am

victrola wrote:

There is no way the Attorney General, the Trump appointed head of the FBI, and a Federal judge would have set this in motion unless the evidence against Trump is enough to convict. Otherwise, why take the risk?

It might be more accurate to say that they had strong reason to suspect Trump had more documents than he was willingly handing over. As that would be evidence of a potential crime, they have the legal right to seize it in the interests of preservation.

Whether the odds of conviction, or even charges, are certain, is another matter. None of that is required to execute a warrant. It was enough that he had documents that were unlawfully in his possession.

What's been interesting is comparing Trump's version of events to reality:

1. He says his teams have good relations with the National Archives and the FBI, that they could have just asked, rather than obtaining a warrant. Yet the warrant followed 9 months of negotiations, first with the Archives, then with the DoJ, via the FBI. In that time, he could not have handed over the materials that were seized?

2. He says he had declassified the materials, but he did not follow any of the formal procedures for doing so, and the materials still carried their classification markings. So as far as the rest of the world is concerned, they remain classified.

3. He demanded that the DoJ publicly explain their actions in executing the warrant, claiming his rights were infringed. Yet the warrant contains that full explanation, and he did not offer that explanation himself, nor release the warrant for public scrutiny.

4. He initially claimed the FBI did not find anything, because there was nothing to be found. But he had in his possession the legally required inventory, so knew exactly what they found.

Most notably, his stories have developed and changed in response to public disclosures, always seeking to take advantage of the initial lack of knowledge, then offering additional explanations as more information came out. In some cases contradicting his earlier statements.

victrola

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:16 am

Why on earth would Trump have moved these documents to Mar-a-Lago? Why on earth would Trump haggle about returning the documents? Why didn't he just return them when they were initially requested? This makes no sense to me.

af773atmsp

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:16 am

victrola wrote:
Why on earth would Trump have moved these documents to Mar-a-Lago? Why on earth would Trump haggle about returning the documents? Why didn't he just return them when they were initially requested? This makes no sense to me.

Nothing that Trump does makes any sense.

BN747

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:06 am

victrola wrote:

You'd have to momentarily, suspend all empathy of any kind and think of unfettered avarice... pure greed and power.
His entire business life has been how to end up on top or the better end of any deal, at any cost.

It's why they all failed.
But his schtick to fleece the least informed, the most angry about the 'changing America'...that was his most successful endeavor in his entire life.
Now that Manafort has owned up to his handlng of polling data to Konstantin Kilimnik pre-2016 election aka Putin driven measure to secure an EC win. It worked.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/u-s-has-new-intel-manafort-friend-kilimnik-gave-trump-n1264371

It is clear in my mind that Trump was worse than Spiro Agnew's taking envelopes full of cash while actively in his VP role. Traveling the world and grifting leaders
as the visiting US representative - he's still grifting. That's Trump today...his pushing the Montenegro Prime minister at the NATO meeting in 2017, was the first clue
he's flexing his mobster mentality.
Most shocking to me in his tenure, was his meeting President Xi of China.
After living in the region and understanding Chinese perception of it's status of superpower now on display around my former home in Taiwan.
Trump, the leader of the mightiest nation ever in recorded Human History..meeting arguably the second world super power.

Xi sees this paper tiger leader wanting to discuss favorable trade considerations for his daughter's business endeavors - Xi must have been in utter shock over such ameager
request from such a figure. Mind blowing!

That's how he rolls as confirm by his former attorney Michael Cohen, Greed at all cost. There is no doubt in my mind he out performed Agnew in that particular category of corrupt politician.

He'll even throw Ivanka under the bus if the price is right....that is Trump. And he has 1/3 of America on autopay (donations)..his best business move ever!

BN747

ReverseFlow

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:45 am

casinterest wrote:

It's true that intent is not required by the statute. But by long US precedent in criminal law, intent is required to establish criminality. So if they charge him, his lawyers would claim he had no criminal intent, and it's hard to prove otherwise. This is what Comey meant when he said no reasonable prosecutor would charge Hillary.

It's been head-spinning to keep up with the flood of lies and misrepresentations made to defend Trump this week. There's no longer any real attempt at believability or consistency. It's actually rather sad and pathetic.
It's actually quite like Russia at the moment with 'It was a gas explosion/somebody messed up/it was the Ukranians.
Changing your excuses every hour.

Would a crime like this need to go to a jury?
As good luck finding an independent one!

casinterest

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:15 pm

scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:

They were too busy trying to get their pardons arranged.

Trump's supporters may not care about government continuity and integrity, but this case may finally be the straw that breaks the back of the GOP.

People like McConnell and McCarthy went out of their way this week to defend Trump, and just got dumped on by Garland. Publicly they may try to save face, but in private they are scared because now they will lose a lot of support from corporations and other entities that do have to play by the rules. This means less donations.

GDB

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:25 pm

Not the first time he has 'shared' secrets with Russia, in the White House there was a serious breach when he let Russians in, including that creep Lararov (or in Trumpworld - which include his supporters) 'a great guy' no doubt.
This caused a serious loss of trust with allies at the time.
There is no earthly reason why he had extremely sensitive nuclear documents, kept after being asked then told legally to do so, unless to curry favor with his favorite leaders, from the Saudis to the Russians.
Warning, this segment includes a clip of FOX idiocy;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q4PUyLHBro

skyservice_330

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:46 pm

Keeping the FBI agents involved and their families, and all DOJ and FBI staff, in my thoughts in light of potential violence by far right extremists / actors. Breitbart and Trump could have blood on their hands if attacks occur, given their release of the names of the agents involved.

ER757

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 pm

At what point do Republicans face the fact that Trump is a criminal and stop coming to his defense? I mean, they actually had to face reality when it was clear Nixon was a crook, you'd think that they'd wake up and smell the coffee instead of being blindly loyal to this shyster. They need to get off the Trump Train before it goes over a cliff.

emperortk

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:16 pm

A Trump attorney signed a document with DoJ in June claiming that all classified material at Mar a lago had been turned over. Oops.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-lawyer-june-said-classified-material-had-been-returned-ny-times-2022-08-13/

VolvoBus

Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:19 pm

emperortk wrote:
A Trump attorney signed a document with DoJ in June claiming that all classified material at Mar a lago had been turned over. Oops.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-lawyer-june-said-classified-material-had-been-returned-ny-times-2022-08-13/

I wonder if the attorney will receive a pointed enquiry from the DoJ, enquiring where the documents recovered from Mar-a-Largo were when she signed off that they had been returned. They must have been elsewhere, because Andino Reynal, Alex Jones' attorney, has shown us that lawyers never lie !

Newark727

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:00 pm

ER757 wrote:
At what point do Republicans face the fact that Trump is a criminal and stop coming to his defense? I mean, they actually had to face reality when it was clear Nixon was a crook, you'd think that they'd wake up and smell the coffee instead of being blindly loyal to this shyster. They need to get off the Trump Train before it goes over a cliff.

The difference between Trump and Nixon is Fox News. No really, I'm serious, the prime movers behind it wanted to make sure something like Watergate couldn't happen again.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:28 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
emperortk wrote:

I wonder if the attorney will receive a pointed enquiry from the DoJ, enquiring where the documents recovered from Mar-a-Largo were when she signed off that they had been returned. They must have been elsewhere, because Andino Reynal, Alex Jones' attorney, has shown us that lawyers never lie !

There is now speculation that Trump's attorneys and in turn Trump himself, in those 'sign offs' of previous returns of documents from MAL could face charges of perjury, a felony charge that can result in jail time and for his attorneys, suspension or disbarment of their law licenses. The 'stuff' keeps getting deeper.

alberchico

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:25 am

ltbewr wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:
emperortk wrote:

There is now speculation that Trump's attorneys and in turn Trump himself, in those 'sign offs' of previous returns of documents from MAL could face charges of perjury, a felony charge that can result in jail time and for his attorneys, suspension or disbarment of their law licenses. The 'stuff' keeps getting deeper.

If Trump lied or misled his legal team into thinking that all sensitive documents were handed over, it would be very difficult to charge his attorneys with a crime. The govt would have to prove that there was a conspiracy between Trump and his legal team to retain certain classified documents and lie about it, and I doubt any lawyer would be that stupid.

seb146

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:40 am

alberchico wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

If Trump lied or misled his legal team into thinking that all sensitive documents were handed over, it would be very difficult to charge his attorneys with a crime. The govt would have to prove that there was a conspiracy between Trump and his legal team to retain certain classified documents and lie about it, and I doubt any lawyer would be that stupid.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity. Especially when it comes to the previous administration.

seb146

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:44 am

ER757 wrote:

They never say they are wrong. Ever. At all. They will keep arguing and parcing words and splitting hairs until they win one point and then claim victory over the entire subject. We have seen it time and again on AM talk radio and Fox and in the Republican party and on this board. They refuse to be adults and admit they are wrong. Yet, no surprise, they DEMAND!!!! others admit they are wrong because it is the right thing and the adult thing and whatever if others do it. Admitting they are wrong is weakness. This same leader who stole classified documents also wanted his generals to be as loyal as Hitler's generals were to him and they didn't bat an eye. They simply pivoted to "BUT HILLARY!!!" and "BUT HUNTER!!!" because it is weakness (and unpatriotic and un-American, somehow) to admit that.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:24 am

seb146 wrote:

They never say they are wrong. Ever. At all. They will keep arguing and parsing words and splitting hairs until they win one point and then claim victory over the entire subject. .... Admitting they are wrong is weakness.

Biographies of Trump have pointed out that this has been his strategy throughout his entire life. Never admit fault or take responsibility. Outlast your critics. A legacy from his relationship with his father. He has it down to a fine art.

aristoenigma

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:29 am

alberchico wrote:
ltbewr wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

A lawyer letter saying all dox returned will require something more than Donnie told me so. It is a binding opinion from a legal professional intended to be relied on and that requires reasonable inquiries beyond "he told me so". Eg receipts or other proof that dox were received back to Archives,,, If charges flow hellfire is coming since the statute is almost absolute liability. As for 45 stating he declassied everything that won't help since that was in his child mind..