Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Is there significance behind dreams/nightmares?

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:39 pm

Most of the time I don't analyze my dreams and I just assume that for whatever reason my brain was thinking of a particular subject while I'm asleep. However, last night I had a dream that now feels kind of like a paranormal experience. Today my mother called the police to check on my neighbor since we hadn't seen him out of the house in a couple weeks, and they informed us he died. He lived alone, and as far as we know had no family or friends to care for him. He was very reserved; I never heard him talk and the only interaction I had with him was as a kid trick-or-treating at his house. The dream last night involved me sitting in my car in front of my house. Out of nowhere my neighbor opened the door and got in the front passenger seat. He told me to take him somewhere, I forget where exactly, but I clearly remember him saying he needed a new heart.

Having that dream the night before we learned of his passing feels really weird to me. It could just be a coincidence of course. My family and other neighbors have been questioning his health for awhile, especially in recent weeks since he hadn't left the house, so perhaps my brain just thought of that while I was sleeping. However, the fact that in the dream he told me he needed a new heart makes this eerie.

Re: Is there significance behind dreams/nightmares?

Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:58 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
My family and other neighbors have been questioning his health for awhile, especially in recent weeks since he hadn't left the house, so perhaps my brain just thought of that while I was sleeping. However, the fact that in the dream he told me he needed a new heart makes this eerie.

I think you've explained it here. REM sleep is analogous to defragmenting a hard drive. Fragments of memory are being rearranged and some are moving to long-term memory. A person deprived of REM sleep, will develop memory issues, among other problems.

The fragments are moving through your processing centers while you're asleep, but your mind processes them and tries to assign a pattern, to make logical sense of them. To be sure you don't act on them, your muscular neurons are inactivated during this phase of sleep.

The vast majority of the time, you have no memory of this when you wake. But sometimes the pattern built by your mind is strong enough to be retained in short- term memory, and we call those dreams.

Unsurprisingly then, thoughts that concern us during waking hours often appear in dreams. The nature of the dream (good or bad) depends on the sections of the brain being defragmented (pleasure or anxiety centers), which alternates between sleep periods.

Your experience sounds perfectly consistent with this analogy, imperfect as it is. It's only a rough & simplified understanding of the actual processes, but it captures the essentials.
Last edited by Avatar2go on Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ACDC8

Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:00 am

Dreams are a way your brain processes problems, issues, events in day to day life. Nightmares are usually a result of your brain not being able to process that information in your subconscious state.

Lord only knows I've had my share of weird dreams linked to next day events. Pretty sure most of us had. Definitely puts ones thought in a spiritual level.

seb146

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:11 am

I have been wanting to talk about this somewhere. I have dreams that are very obviously dreams but they take place in the same shopping mall always as empty each time. Strange "dream" things happen but it is very unsettling this mall has been coming up in different dreams and with different people and different things happening. I think it may be either Lloyd Center in PDX or White Lakes in Topeka, KS. It's just odd it is the same mall every time.

LCDFlight

Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:51 pm

Yep I go to the same places in my dreams. It is literally a map of places you’ve been, people you have met, what were the issues and connections. By making new connections, the brain can place new stuff into your old memories, set them up in a useful pattern and get you ready for the next day.

If you got chased by wolves in real life, there will probably be a wolf chasing you in a dream. Your brain will configure your knowledge in the most useful way it can to help you on that wolf chasing topic next time.

By settling questions, the brain frees up a lot of memory and also processing power. If you feel unsure about something, your brain will try to use a dream to settle the question for you, allowing you to move on.

About predictions… Maybe you dream that a boat sinks. Later, it sinks in real life. That was already a question in your mind, and your brain found that is was a distinct possibility. Not magic, just nice brain doing its job. Just my opinion

seb146

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:42 am

LCDFlight wrote:
Yep I go to the same places in my dreams. It is literally a map of places you’ve been, people you have met, what were the issues and connections. By making new connections, the brain can place new stuff into your old memories, set them up in a useful pattern and get you ready for the next day.

If you got chased by wolves in real life, there will probably be a wolf chasing you in a dream. Your brain will configure your knowledge in the most useful way it can to help you on that wolf chasing topic next time.

By settling questions, the brain frees up a lot of memory and also processing power. If you feel unsure about something, your brain will try to use a dream to settle the question for you, allowing you to move on.

About predictions… Maybe you dream that a boat sinks. Later, it sinks in real life. That was already a question in your mind, and your brain found that is was a distinct possibility. Not magic, just nice brain doing its job. Just my opinion

I think there is something to premonitions, whether in dreams or the waking world. I had a dream I was standing on my front porch at my childhood home and watched a jet streak smoke trying to land. I woke before I could finish the dream but over the next few months, several terrible airline accidents happened including Air Canada burning in Cincinnati.

The brain is a powerful tool. I don't think we know as much as we think we do about it.

Kiwirob

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:01 am

Have you been watching The Sandman on Netflix?

Aesma

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:26 pm

The other day I dreamt my cat died. He's very old but still kicking.

Also I was French president, with my friend as advisor. Hasn't happened either, but said friend was an adviser to Macron.

LCDFlight

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:29 pm

seb146 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

I think there is something to premonitions, whether in dreams or the waking world. I had a dream I was standing on my front porch at my childhood home and watched a jet streak smoke trying to land. I woke before I could finish the dream but over the next few months, several terrible airline accidents happened including Air Canada burning in Cincinnati.

The brain is a powerful tool. I don't think we know as much as we think we do about it.

Agreed the brain looks at a million things we hardly understand. Nonverbal communication for example. Even if we can’t pinpoint exactly why we feel a certain way, our brain noticed something and maybe our dream is about our brain trying to tell us something. I think it’s not magic, but as long as we don’t understand what factors gave us a “funny feeling about something” then it might as well be magic.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:43 pm

Yes sometimes a dream can be wet, a nightmare usually not.

Newark727

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:53 pm

Dreams are your brain's subconscious way of reminding you to put on pants before you leave for work.