Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

petertenthije
Topic Author

Salman Rushdie stabbed on stage in New York

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:09 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62524922

Author Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of Islamist death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, has been stabbed in the neck while on stage in New York state.

The attacker is said to have been restrained by those on the scene.

Salman has been airlifted to a hospital.

chimborazo

Re: Salman Rushdie stabbed on stage in New York

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:35 pm

petertenthije wrote:

Author Salman Rushdie, who suffered years of Islamist death threats after writing The Satanic Verses, has been stabbed in the neck while on stage in New York state.

Highly likely it’s the “religion of peace” striking again.

The $3 million bounty is still on his head.

avier

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:50 pm

What's shocking is this happened in NY US (a safe haven for people like him facing persecution elsewhere), where he was about to give a talk on writers freedom. Oh, the irony. Just sad.

I could only imagine what happens in other countries, with such radical elements.

I sometimes agree with the way China treats these religions and burns their books.

Newark727

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:06 pm

avier wrote:
I sometimes agree with the way China treats these religions and burns their books.

So ethnic cleansing is okay as long as the targets are sufficiently deserving? To hell with that.

avier

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:11 pm

Newark727 wrote:
avier wrote:

So ethnic cleansing is okay as long as the targets are sufficiently deserving? To hell with that.

I was referring to what they do with the teachings of religions, not the people following it.
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/15 ... ligion-spt

Dutchy

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:08 pm

petertenthije wrote:

Very shocking indeed. I remembered it was quite shocking that there was a fatwa against a writer in the west, didn't understand it at the time, I was 10. My father bought the book and I was curious about it. Perhaps it is time to actually read it.

There is no excuse to attack someone, certainly not based on a religion.

NIKV69

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:

Well he insulted it and though I don't condone the act you have to understand what you are doing before you do it. I don't insult any other religion whether I like it or not.

emperortk

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Very shocking indeed. I remembered it was quite shocking that there was a fatwa against a writer in the west, didn't understand it at the time, I was 10. My father bought the book and I was curious about it. Perhaps it is time to actually read it.

I read it some years ago. It's very good, and usually I see the word "blasphemous" used to describe it, which it is. However, I think "subversive" is a much better word to use in its relation to Islam. If your hold on power is based in full or in part on the authority of and reverence to Islam, this book has the potential to be very threatening.

CitizenJustin

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:22 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Well he insulted it and though I don't condone the act you have to understand what you are doing before you do it. I don't insult any other religion whether I like it or not.

Except they consider legitimate criticism of religion to be insulting as well. Why should religion be immune from jokes, criticism or insults? Nothing else in this world is. We shouldn’t kowtow to these cowardly extremists.

NIKV69

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:16 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

Except they consider legitimate criticism of religion to be insulting as well. Why should religion be immune from jokes, criticism or insults? Nothing else in this world is. We shouldn’t kowtow to these cowardly extremists.

Can't have your cake and eat it. Don't want them to act out and kill people? Maybe consider your words more carefully.

scbriml

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:30 pm

avier wrote:

Nice. Who gets to decide?

Vintage

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:37 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Can't have your cake and eat it. Don't want them to act out and kill people? Maybe consider your words more carefully.

If we try to play along with them zealots will just tighten their grip and kill people for other imagined crimes.

Keep in mind that Catholicism and Islam are the same religion, along with Judaism and all the weird forms of Christianity.

They are just variations on the Abrahamic religion.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions

The Abrahamic rooted religion is notable for the edict: thou shalt have no gods before me.
This bit of narcissism has caused a lot of problems over the years.

cpd

Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:50 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Only certain religions should be immune from criticism, and those religions are of course perfectly fine to be critical of others and enforce their ways on everyone else through lobbying government. But when others do that same lobbying, we consider it totally wrong and that's when we want to do regime change.

All sides have zealots.

alberchico

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:12 am

Update: the prognosis is not good. He will be permanently scarred for life.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Josiensor/st ... 8134587395

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:27 am

emperortk wrote:
If your hold on power is based in full or in part on the authority of and reverence to Islam, this book has the potential to be very threatening.

This is it, exactly. It's threatening enough to put a bounty on the person who publishes it, and persuade your followers to carry out a crime.

Just like someone else in the news who has done the same with his followers, after the targeted person made blasphemous statements about losing an election.

It's all the same methodology, which is only necessary in defending a cult of personality.

dampfnudel

Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:03 am

avier wrote:
What's shocking is this happened in NY US (a safe haven for people like him facing persecution elsewhere), where he was about to give a talk on writers freedom. Oh, the irony. Just sad.

I could only imagine what happens in other countries, with such radical elements.

How is it shocking that it happened in the US? You take someone determined enough to kill plus the questionable, “relaxed” security that they gave him and this is what you get.

ltbewr

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:20 am

The 24 year old male attacker (who's name I won't post here) was arrested and awaiting charges.This (self censored) was living in Fairview, NJ (not far from NY City), was born in California. There was no security checks to enter the space. Mr. Rushdie is currently in a hospital in Erie, PA
https://www.cnn.com/2022/08/12/us/salma ... index.html
Some late news reports say the attacker had a fake NJ State Drivers' license and may have been into extremist ideologies connected to the government of Iran and against Mr. Rushdie himself. https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/w ... k/3822984/

chimborazo

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:57 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Rushdie is an intelligent person. He knew what he was doing when he wrote it. This isn’t throwing bricks at someone’s window or slapping someone’s partner on the ass. This is words describing what a horrendous religion Islam really is. It’s so horrendous that it can’t take criticism.

I take the inference that you yourself follow a religion. Then, “I don’t condone the act..” no… and you don’t call it out either. Typical.

How is it even possible to insult a religion?? Just because people believe something (most through indoctrination) it doesn’t make it an actual thing that can be insulted. It’s so utterly pathetic.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:11 am

NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Religion is not a person - 'it' cannot be insulted because it doesn't possess emotion.

Kiwirob

Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:18 am

cpd wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Only certain religions should be immune from criticism, and those religions are of course perfectly fine to be critical of others and enforce their ways on everyone else through lobbying government. But when others do that same lobbying, we consider it totally wrong and that's when we want to do regime change.

All sides have zealots.

I don’t believe any religion can be immune from criticism, all religions followers have done terrible things in the name of their brand of sky fairy. Prove me wrong.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Religion is not a person - 'it' cannot be insulted because it doesn't possess emotion.

Try explaining that to the religious extremists, who no doubt, exist within every religion......

Dutchy

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:18 am

chimborazo wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Rushdie is an intelligent person. He knew what he was doing when he wrote it. This isn’t throwing bricks at someone’s window or slapping someone’s partner on the ass. This is words describing what a horrendous religion Islam really is. It’s so horrendous that it can’t take criticism.

I take the inference that you yourself follow a religion. Then, “I don’t condone the act..” no… and you don’t call it out either. Typical.

How is it even possible to insult a religion?? Just because people believe something (most through indoctrination) it doesn’t make it an actual thing that can be insulted. It’s so utterly pathetic.

You are describing any religion, not just Islam. You have dogmatic interpretations of religious text with any religion, Christianity has it's a fair share, just look at the people who attack abortion clinics in the US. Or the Boedists attacking Muslims in Myanmar. It is logical in some respects if you believe your God is the almighty then all other people are wrong.
That is the fundamental problem with beliefs/religion.

Dutchy

Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:21 am

Kiwirob wrote:
cpd wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

All sides have zealots.

I don’t believe any religion can be immune from criticism, all religions followers have done terrible things in the name of their brand of sky fairy. Prove me wrong.

Pastafarianism, not violent at all 8-)

casinterest

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
cpd wrote:

All sides have zealots.

Will you think of the sacrifice of all the grains that went into being boiled to make the Pasta?

pune

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
cpd wrote:

All sides have zealots.

This one I quite like ;)

pune

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:28 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

Will you think of the sacrifice of all the grains that went into being boiled to make the Pasta?

OMG! Lol ;)

StarAC17

Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:24 pm

avier wrote:

This is not really true.

China burns the religious books and gives them the bible of the CCP. Their government is state sponsored religion as most non-democratic nations are. North Korea is the same as well and we all find it funny when we see the reports that the leader is treated like god. At least their god is an actual person where as with western religions the so called god is not.

You question the bible of the CCP and your fate is similar to Rushdie's and probably worse.

cpd wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

All sides have zealots.

No religion is immune from criticism especially if it is one that is the majority of citizens, in fact nothing is immune from it being questioned unless its a scientific law and math proves it. The biggest problem in the United States is that it gives a fairly long leash to extremism from one religion (Christianity) and aggressively condemns a religion like Islam. That is hypocrisy in a nation that in its constitution doesn't specify an official religion. People should be free to practice their faith but their faith should have no place in governance.

Aaron747

Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:06 am

An absolutely spot-on take on Rushdie’s stabbing and its discussion aftermath from Uncle Bill:

https://youtu.be/lTFnj-9EY4M