Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Anyone use a smart lock?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:55 am

I was wondering, does anyone here use a smart lock?

We just bought a Schlage Encode. A driving force in our decision to buy a smart lock was one day we were locked out of our house after a storm when the GFCI in the garage tripped, taking down the garage door opener (our house was built after 2008, and the 2008 NEC and later no longer has an exemption for GFCI protection for garage door openers). We didn't have our house keys handy, so this drove our decision to buy a smart lock.

As for why we went for this model it seemed to have some great reviews, plus it has a key backup in case the battery dies.

Does anyone else have a smart lock? There are those from the big three American door lock brands (Kwikset, Schlage, and Yale), some from major tech brands, as well as some cheaper, more obscure brands.

seb146

Re: Anyone use a smart lock?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:38 am

We have a keyless entry with a key back-up. Is that the same? We love it. We can change the code any time. And we do because we have a very nice family who checks on our cat when we go out of town for a week. Very simple code change directions.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:27 am

seb146 wrote:
We have a keyless entry with a key back-up. Is that the same? We love it. We can change the code any time. And we do because we have a very nice family who checks on our cat when we go out of town for a week. Very simple code change directions.

Not quite. Typically a smart lock has the ability to be programmed and operated from a mobile device. Many, but not all, smart locks also feature PIN keypads, typically programmed from a mobile device. Smart locks can use technologies such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Z-Wave, or Zigbee.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:55 am

Nope, good ol' key and a pin and tumbler lock does the job just fine.

johns624

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:27 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Nope, good ol' key and a pin and tumbler lock does the job just fine.
Same here. I always have my keys with me. Just one more thing for batteries to go dead in.

casinterest

Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:36 pm

No smartlock for me, but i see they are used quite extensively in the airbnb, and motel markets recently at the beach.

einsteinboricua

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:52 pm

The previous owners from the house I bought left a Yale smartlock. A bit useless since the door knob is also keyed so even if the deadbolt is unlocked, the knob still prevents entry. Totally OK with it, though. Another security layer since any time the deadbolt is turned, I get a notice.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:56 pm

einsteinboricua wrote:
The previous owners from the house I bought left a Yale smartlock. A bit useless since the door knob is also keyed so even if the deadbolt is unlocked, the knob still prevents entry. Totally OK with it, though. Another security layer since any time the deadbolt is turned, I get a notice.

We have a handleset, which is not keyed. The Schlage we bought is the same style as our existing handleset (Camelot in Aged Bronze).

Tugger

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:30 pm

casinterest wrote:
but i see they are used quite extensively in the airbnb, and motel markets recently at the beach.

Smartlocks are most needed/useful in situations where there is a need to send entry codes via remote tools and a high turnover. Handing off keys to numerous disparate parties also has the risk of copying or loss and entry of an unwanted party at a later time.

Individual residences, with a limited and consistent population using them, don't send "keys" to others or need to the fast change abilities. The keyless option doesn't do much beyond allowing a person to unlock a door without using their hands, yet one still needs them to open it. The ability to remotely lock a door or open it for someone is a neat trick but not very useful in everyday life.

And of course smartlocks can be hacked by smart thieves.

Tugg

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:42 pm

Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:
but i see they are used quite extensively in the airbnb, and motel markets recently at the beach.

Smartlocks are most needed/useful in situations where there is a need to send entry codes via remote tools and a high turnover. Handing off keys to numerous disparate parties also has the risk of copying or loss and entry of an unwanted party at a later time.

Individual residences, with a limited and consistent population using them, don't send "keys" to others or need to the fast change abilities. The keyless option doesn't do much beyond allowing a person to unlock a door without using their hands, yet one still needs them to open it. The ability to remotely lock a door or open it for someone is a neat trick but not very useful in everyday life.

Tugg

And it would be useful if we were locked out when our garage door opener was knocked out by a storm due to the GFCI tripping (2008 NEC and later no longer has an exemption for GFCI protection for garage door openers) and we didn't have our keys handy. They could be helpful in emergency situations like this.

ReverseFlow

Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:57 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Tugger wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Tugg

And it would be useful if we were locked out when our garage door opener was knocked out by a storm due to the GFCI tripping (2008 NEC and later no longer has an exemption for GFCI protection for garage door openers) and we didn't have our keys handy. They could be helpful in emergency situations like this.
Would a smartlock be knocked out by a storm or power interrupt though?
I'd guess they have battery back-ups?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:24 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
Tugger wrote:

Tugg

Would a smartlock be knocked out by a storm or power interrupt though?
I'd guess they have battery back-ups?

Most residential smart locks are battery-powered. Our Schlage Encode does have a key backup.

PhilBy

Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:03 pm

My car has a smart lock. I just tuck the mechanical key in my wet-suit when diving and I can open the doors when I get back! That's much smarter than these elcetronic gizmos.

ReverseFlow

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:35 pm

PhilBy wrote:
My car has a smart lock. I just tuck the mechanical key in my wet-suit when diving and I can open the doors when I get back! That's much smarter than these elcetronic gizmos.
I do remember seeing a TV show on car towing companies.

There was a guy who thought his Merc S-Class was broken as it wouldn't start.
The original tow truck was too small so they got a bigger one.
In the end it turned out that the battery was flat on his keyfob!

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:39 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
PhilBy wrote:
I do remember seeing a TV show on car towing companies.

The big three brands (Kwikset, Schlage, and Yale) all have models with key backup available.

johns624

Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:50 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:

Most residential smart locks are battery-powered. Our Schlage Encode does have a key backup.
You just said upthread that you didn't have your keys with you. The question is, why not?

ACDC8

Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:31 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:

There was a guy who thought his Merc S-Class was broken as it wouldn't start.
The original tow truck was too small so they got a bigger one.

Thats the thing with cars and keyless entry/start - the fobs are transmitters, they're constantly looking for the car, so the battery life is cut dramatically, even your spare that you never use, constantly looking for the car so one day when you need the spare, it won't work as the battery is dead. With my car, I usually have to change the battery once a year, and always change the battery in the spare at the same time - learned that lesson first year I bought my first keyless car.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:28 pm

johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

You just said upthread that you didn't have your keys with you. The question is, why not?

Until now, we usually entered through our garage, which also has a keyless entry keypad. When a severe storm knocked out the GFCI for the garage door opener one evening leaving us locked out, this was a driving force in making us buy a smart lock for our front door.

Tugger

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:44 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
Until now, we usually entered through our garage, which also has a keyless entry keypad. When a severe storm knocked out the GFCI for the garage door opener one evening leaving us locked out, this was a driving force in making us buy a smart lock for our front door.

Wait, what? How did a key lock get knocked out by a storm? You say the garage opener was knocked out by one which locked you out so you bought a smartlock, But didn't you just have a regular key lock on your house and use that? Isn't that what you put the smartlock on?

Tugg

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:45 pm

Tugger wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

Wait, what? How did a key lock get knocked out by a storm? You say the garage opener was knocked out by one which locked you out so you bought a smartlock, But didn't you just have a regular key lock on your house and use that? Isn't that what you put the smartlock on?

Tugg

We put the smart lock in last Friday. We didn't have our house keys when the garage door opener got knocked out. The garage door opener has a keypad on the side of the garage door, but it can't operate if the garage door opener itself doesn't have any electricity. Smart door locks can operate even in a power outage and would have been vital that evening.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:11 pm

1337Delta764 wrote:
We put the smart lock in last Friday. We didn't have our house keys when the garage door opener got knocked out. The garage door opener has a keypad on the side of the garage door, but it can't operate if the garage door opener itself doesn't have any electricity. Smart door locks can operate even in a power outage and would have been vital that evening.

How is it vital? A physical key does the same job, if not better. Keep forgetting your key? There is literally a 101 places one can safely hide a spare in their yard or in their car.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:34 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:

How is it vital? A physical key does the same job, if not better. Keep forgetting your key? There is literally a 101 places one can safely hide a spare in their yard or in their car.

In our case, we had to climb our fence to get the key, since leaving a key under a door mat is too obvious for intruders.

johns624

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:53 pm

I carry my house key on the same ring as the fob for my car. How hard is it? People always look for convoluted solutions to simple problems.

johns624

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:11 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
The Schlage we bought is the same style as our existing handleset (Camelot in Aged Bronze).
Is Bronze the new Pink?

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:25 am

johns624 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
The Schlage we bought is the same style as our existing handleset (Camelot in Aged Bronze).
Is Bronze the new Pink?

Our existing handleset is bronze, so got them to match. Does anyone offer them in rose gold? I know Kohler offers rose gold faucets, but it would look out of place in our house (we have the U by Moen Smart Faucet Arbor in Spot-Resist Stainless Steel).

planewasted

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:11 pm

I have a Yale doorman. It is awesome. It is a bit like keyless entry for cars, felt meaningless before I got it but now I really don't want to be without it.
Main advantage it to never think about keys again. Second is to be able to let people in from anywhere.

By the way, Yale is not American anymore, it is Swedish.

Kiwirob

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:32 pm

[threeid][/threeid]
planewasted wrote:
I have a Yale doorman. It is awesome. It is a bit like keyless entry for cars, felt meaningless before I got it but now I really don't want to be without it.
Main advantage it to never think about keys again. Second is to be able to let people in from anywhere.

By the way, Yale is not American anymore, it is Swedish.

It was British for a we while before it was bought by Assa Abloy in 2000.

WesternDC6B

Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:06 pm

I already had Kiwkset deadbolts on three doors, so to smarten them, I got the Wyze deadbolt operators. They work well, but would have preferred something under Zigbee or Z-Wave. The garage-to-laundry room door only had a key-in-the-knob set, so, I bought a Kwikset 912, which is Z-Wave.

I am not sure how it sets up with other hubs, but if you have a Hubitat C-7 like I do, you have to place the Kwikset within 12 inches of the hub to pair up. This is not explained in the instructions, but I just put the part with the battery pack close to the hub, paired up, then installed the rest.

The first unit is one I broke by not following the re-keying instructions. I bricked it; I will own up to that. So, I bought a replacement, and the Z-wave board died in a month. It needed constant re-pairing. Kwikset's tech support walked me through several steps, determined it was broken, so, sent me a replacement unit.

The replacement paired up fine but the electric mechanism for locking will not work. It just makes expensive noises, blinks red, and beeps at me. Sooooo, I worked with tech support again (HIGHLY competent and polite), but it turns out this fresh-out-of-the-box unit is dead. Replacements? "Backordered". Unless I am wrong, Kwikset is now part of some combine that also has Weiser. Several locksmiths I have met over the years use the expression "You'd be Weiser not to!"

I think I will look at another brand. Smart passage sets are not at all common, especially in Satin Nickel, but as it is not within sight of other door locks, and is in a room where it doesn't need to be pretty, I will take what I can find.

1337Delta764
Topic Author

Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:06 pm

As for Weiser, they are mainly a Canadian brand now, with Kwikset mainly being maketed in the United States and Weiser in Canada.