Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Guy (34) arrested for prostitution while on Honeymoon

Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:44 am

The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me. A Florida man (34) went to see a prostitute while on his honeymoon in Tampa. He slipped away while his new bride was sleeping. Not only is his marriage likely over, so is his life. It will be next to impossible for him to ever get another job, let alone rent an apartment or anything. Police nationwide are on a major human trafficking crackdown.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... YMOON.html

seb146

Re: Guy (34) arrested for prostitution while on Honeymoon

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:03 am

I am all for ending human trafficking but there needs to be a fine line. This guy's marriage is over, maybe, but why should the rest of his life be? Per the article, he solicited an adult. Give him a ticket and move on.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:13 am

seb146 wrote:
I am all for ending human trafficking but there needs to be a fine line. This guy's marriage is over, maybe, but why should the rest of his life be? Per the article, he solicited an adult. Give him a ticket and move on.

No one will want to hire him, just google his name and it comes up dozens of times. As my background in HR with a company having someone with a sex crime conviction is a HUGE liability. I think most females would feel very uncomfortable working with him. I doubt it will be just a ticket, I think in Florida it's a year in jail.

petertenthije

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:35 am

Why is his name released yo the public at all? It was concentual and both where adults. He’ll likely loose his marriage which should have been punishment enough.

LabQuest

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:55 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

No one will want to hire him, just google his name and it comes up dozens of times. As my background in HR with a company having someone with a sex crime conviction is a HUGE liability. I think most females would feel very uncomfortable working with him. I doubt it will be just a ticket, I think in Florida it's a year in jail.

Its a misdemeanor charge. Its not like he raped someone. Nobody will care other than private chatter.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:04 am

petertenthije wrote:
Why is his name released yo the public at all? It was concentual and both where adults. He’ll likely loose his marriage which should have been punishment enough.

Policing guidelines basically allow release of names of charged persons, unless there are exceptional circumstances or an investigation may be negatively impacted. This is a standard component of relations between media and law enforcement. Especially in this case, as a major sting operation, LE will need to identify all involved persons.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:15 am

Aaron747 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

Policing guidelines basically allow release of names of charged persons, unless there are exceptional circumstances or an investigation may be negatively impacted. This is a standard component of relations between media and law enforcement. Especially in this case, as a major sting operation, LE will need to identify all involved persons.

True, I do see a problem with this. It could pronounce him guilty in the "court of public opinion" even if he is not criminally convicted. The media stories will follow him for the rest of his life. Oregon recently passed a law that law enforcement cannot release names to the public until AFTER a conviction, because even if this guy beats the charges people tend to assume "guilt" based on the arrest alone.

The media loves to crack down and publish prostitution related arrests. There were 176 total men arrested in this sting. All had their names published.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/crime ... 1c68c4f7bb

Aaron747

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:19 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:

True, I do see a problem with this. It could pronounce him guilty in the "court of public opinion" even if he is not criminally convicted. The media stories will follow him for the rest of his life. Oregon recently passed a law that law enforcement cannot release names to the public until AFTER a conviction, because even if this guy beats the charges people tend to assume "guilt" based on the arrest alone.

The media loves to crack down and publish prostitution related arrests. There were 176 total men arrested in this sting. All had their names published.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/crime ... 1c68c4f7bb

Florida's legislature and governor are trying to be tough on crime, so this guy is welcome to take it up with them....if not convicted.

jetwet1

Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:34 am

Stupid, sure, marriage over, probably, life over because of a misdemeanor, no, really no, if that was the case 1/3 of Americans would be in deep trouble.

c933103

Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:56 am

Wait, are all prostitution assumed to be human trafficking?

Aaron747

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:01 am

c933103 wrote:
Wait, are all prostitution assumed to be human trafficking?

No, but in this case a major sting operation was already underway.

Kiwirob

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:43 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Its ridiculous that sleeping with a hooker is even a crime.

Why would a female feel uncomfortable working with guy who slept with a hooker? Most females probably work with men who have, they just don’t know.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:37 am

Guy hooks up with a hooker and somehow this is newsworthy event? Geezus :sarcastic:

JJJ

Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:24 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Guy hooks up with a hooker and somehow this is newsworthy event? Geezus :sarcastic:

The news to me is someone from Florida would choose to spend their honeymoon in Tampa, of all places.

Aesma

Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:55 pm

America, land of the free !

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:17 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

Why would a female feel uncomfortable working with guy who slept with a hooker? Most females probably work with men who have, they just don’t know.

Its the widespread media coverage that will really make his life a challenge. I have background in HR, and here is the scenario. You hire this guy two years from now, he beat the case so he has no criminal record. But one day a female co-worker comes to you and says "Hey I googled that guys name and found out we was arrested for being mixed up in sex trafficking he was trying to see a prostitute. Thats disgusting! I have to work next to him and it creeps me out I cannot work with him I have zero respect for him it makes be very uneasy and forcing me to work with him makes this a hostile work environment."

So now you have to do something or you could see yourself in court, even if you win it will damage employee morale overall, and it will take about 15 minutes to spread office wide.

Most employers will not take the chance based on this, easier to take the conservative route. If there was zero media coverage, then yea he'd bounce back. But the internet is forever and even in quitted the public perception is "guilty". Kinda like OJ Simpson, he beat the murder charge but most think he's guilty.

It's a misdemeanor in FL (soon the be a felony), Its a Felony already in TX for a man to pay for sex. Its a very serious crime. It likely going to cost him in attorney fees.

LabQuest

Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:53 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Its the widespread media coverage that will really make his life a challenge. I have background in HR, and here is the scenario. You hire this guy two years from now, he beat the case so he has no criminal record. But one day a female co-worker comes to you and says "Hey I googled that guys name and found out we was arrested for being mixed up in sex trafficking he was trying to see a prostitute. Thats disgusting! I have to work next to him and it creeps me out I cannot work with him I have zero respect for him it makes be very uneasy and forcing me to work with him makes this a hostile work environment."

So now you have to do something or you could see yourself in court, even if you win it will damage employee morale overall, and it will take about 15 minutes to spread office wide.

Most employers will not take the chance based on this, easier to take the conservative route. If there was zero media coverage, then yea he'd bounce back. But the internet is forever and even in quitted the public perception is "guilty". Kinda like OJ Simpson, he beat the murder charge but most think he's guilty.

It's a misdemeanor in FL (soon the be a felony), Its a Felony already in TX for a man to pay for sex. Its a very serious crime. It likely going to cost him in attorney fees.

No wonder everyone hates HR.

AeroVega

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:17 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
But one day a female co-worker comes to you and says "Hey I googled that guys name and found out we was arrested for being mixed up in sex trafficking he was trying to see a prostitute. Thats disgusting! I have to work next to him and it creeps me out I cannot work with him I have zero respect for him it makes be very uneasy and forcing me to work with him makes this a hostile work environment."

I would tell any employee that admits to Googling co-workers that that is a pretty perverse thing to do and that they should stop doing that.

Aaron747

Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:22 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Also an HR pro, and unless she is also in HR or doing TA, I would tell her it's inappropriate to be researching personal information on colleagues - especially on company time. I would also say he was hired for ability and properly vetted, so if she really feels working next to him is a hostile work environment, she is welcome to put in for transfer to another location.

Aesma

Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:06 pm

A guy that "unloads" with a prostitute from time to time is probably less "hostile" towards women than otherwise...

johns624

Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:18 pm

The OP seems to be confused about the difference between a prostitution offense and a sex crime offense (rape, etc) where you're on the sex offender registry.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:35 pm

johns624 wrote:
The OP seems to be confused about the difference between a prostitution offense and a sex crime offense (rape, etc) where you're on the sex offender registry.

Depending on where you are, a prostitution arrest is the same thing as a sex offense. Even if found not guilty the arrest will follow him forever. Then things like a future job, finding housing etc are all up in jeapordy.

johns624

Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:17 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Depending on where you are, a prostitution arrest is the same thing as a sex offense. Even if found not guilty the arrest will follow him forever. Then things like a future job, finding housing etc are all up in jeapordy.
Where? I've never heard of that.

SEAorPWM

Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:22 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
johns624 wrote:

That's correct. Also, even 17 year old runaways who get trafficked get arrested for prostitution in certain states (Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Louisiana). Shame the feds couldn't put some sanity into these laws...

AeroVega

Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:36 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
johns624 wrote:

If that is true then he has no other choice than to legally change his name.

ACDC8

Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:19 pm

AeroVega wrote:
I would tell any employee that admits to Googling co-workers that that is a pretty perverse thing to do and that they should stop doing that.

The irony of it, right? :rotfl:

Newark727

Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:21 pm

Florida Man strikes again!

cskok8

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:05 am

I thought he was trying to turn a few tricks himself to pay for the honeymoon

seb146

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:46 am

Aesma wrote:
A guy that "unloads" with a prostitute from time to time is probably less "hostile" towards women than otherwise...

Interesting thing about soliciting:

some johns are not in it for sex. Some just want to be heard. To be an equal. To be present. To be acknowledged. The town I grew up in had a thriving "red light district" and has many accounts of girls who were paid to simply be there.

It's not always about sex. Sometimes, it is about letting someone feel emotional. I am all for that.

sierrakilo44

Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:08 am

I’m not for illegal trafficking or abuse of sex workers but IMO sex work should be 100% legal. Regulate the industry, ensure safety of workers and clients, ensure sex workers have rights and protections in their employment. It’s time to recognise that sex work has been around forever and will be around forever and if a consenting adult wishes to pay for legal encounters in a regulated industry it is absolutely no one’s business but theirs.

LCDFlight

Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:01 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

I can see a scenario where if you offer the woman counseling for her bias against people who live with having had contact with the police, then you can let her stay with the firm.

Kind of joking, kind of not. That is called Karen behavior, and it is nothing if not hostile.

cskok8 wrote:

Exactly

zakuivcustom

Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:38 pm

Newark727 wrote:

My first thought also :).

From the sound of things it seems like he owns his own business anyway, so other than his marriage likely being over and his mugshot being plaster around the world, monetarily he should be able to afford more prostitutes for years. :duck:

Newark727

Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:46 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
cskok8 wrote:

Exactly

I mean, if he was, I'd at least have to respect the hustle :P

CaptHadley

Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:50 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Why do I have this feeling that you are not unfamiliar with the whole prostitution thing.

Kiwirob

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:04 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
I’m not for illegal trafficking or abuse of sex workers but IMO sex work should be 100% legal. Regulate the industry, ensure safety of workers and clients, ensure sex workers have rights and protections in their employment. It’s time to recognise that sex work has been around forever and will be around forever and if a consenting adult wishes to pay for legal encounters in a regulated industry it is absolutely no one’s business but theirs.

It’s been legal in NZ for about 20 years. Before that the cops turned a blind eye and didn’t enforce the law for a long time. Norway went the other way, it’s legal to be a hooker but illegal to hire a hooker, which drove the business underground and caused more problems with trafficking.

pune

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:04 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Also an HR pro, and unless she is also in HR or doing TA, I would tell her it's inappropriate to be researching personal information on colleagues - especially on company time. I would also say he was hired for ability and properly vetted, so if she really feels working next to him is a hostile work environment, she is welcome to put in for transfer to another location.

Wouldn't it be mandatory to do those kinds of searches? While the gentleman is not a sex offender, what if he was? And when you say proper vetting, how do you vet without going through stuff like this? Whatever they search and find, they will probably not take him as the possibility of litigation would be higher. And if something happens, then the media will say, how did not they vet him, or did they? They could add the previous case and it would be another cycle altogether.

The best thing for him would be to change his name. And I know that is not easy but living with this would have its own consequences. What I found interesting is due to this being in limelight, the other 178 johns were spared the limelight. It's almost as if a roll of dice and the gentleman above had the rough luck, while the others escaped without the notoriety.

pune

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:05 pm

Newark727 wrote:

I have heard that expression but don't really get what it means.

LabQuest

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:27 pm

pune wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Florida makes all arrest reports public from the time of arrest unlike most other states.

Newark727

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:36 pm

pune wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

The syntax news headlines often use for stories involving Florida residents doing something bizarre or foolish (Florida man does x, Florida woman does y...) tends to mirror the classic style of naming comic-book heroes (Batman, Superman, Aquaman...)

Leading some internet commentators to suggest that "Florida Man" is a kind of collective identity assumed by anyone about to display spectacularly poor judgement. :D

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:42 pm

LabQuest wrote:
pune wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Florida makes all arrest reports public from the time of arrest unlike most other states.

Interesting that Oregon recently passed a law that people arrested for non violent crimes that are not a public threat, their names cannot be released to the media or the public until AFTER a conviction. Reason being if he is found not guilty his life could be destroyed by media coverage and "guilty in the court of public opinion"

johns624

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:54 pm

pune wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Wouldn't it be mandatory to do those kinds of searches? While the gentleman is not a sex offender, what if he was? And when you say proper vetting, how do you vet without going through stuff like this? Whatever they search and find, they will probably not take him as the possibility of litigation would be higher. And if something happens, then the media will say, how did not they vet him, or did they? They could add the previous case and it would be another cycle altogether.

The best thing for him would be to change his name. And I know that is not easy but living with this would have its own consequences. /quote] You're missing the whole point. It IS the job of HR to vet employees. It's not the job of random fellow employees to dig into their backgrounds on a whim. If he was a registered sex offender, that would take things to a whole new level. Why would the possibility of litigation be higher? He solicited the services of a prostitute. That shows that he knows where to go. :) He has not been accused or convicted of sexual harassment or a sex crime, such as rape or pedophilia.

SEAorPWM

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

It’s been legal in NZ for about 20 years. Before that the cops turned a blind eye and didn’t enforce the law for a long time. Norway went the other way, it’s legal to be a hooker but illegal to hire a hooker, which drove the business underground and caused more problems with trafficking.

Even the NZ laws had their issues when first rolled out due to the mismatch in the prostitution age (18) and adult age (17):

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/loophole- ... G5BCTIFFE/

With NZ being so high on human rights ratings, I'm honestly surprised this stuff happens over there.

I guess the Dutch model is the way to go.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:30 pm

SEAorPWM wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Even the NZ laws had their issues when first rolled out due to the mismatch in the prostitution age (18) and adult age (17):

With NZ being so high on human rights ratings, I'm honestly surprised this stuff happens over there.

The USA for the most part is adopting the nordic model and only prosecuting the male for the purchase of sex and not the female for selling, as she is seen as a victim. Most females would be offered assistance and resources to get their life back on track. Now if a female has repeat arrests she would likely be prosecuted.

As they say on Law and Order SVU, sex crimes are especially heinous, I would assume this guy probably lost his job as soon as the story got so much media attention, and that would be just the start.

SEAorPWM

Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:51 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

The USA for the most part is adopting the nordic model and only prosecuting the male for the purchase of sex and not the female for selling, as she is seen as a victim. Most females would be offered assistance and resources to get their life back on track. Now if a female has repeat arrests she would likely be prosecuted.

As they say on Law and Order SVU, sex crimes are especially heinous, I would assume this guy probably lost his job as soon as the story got so much media attention, and that would be just the start.

To be honest, I don't even consider what this guy did to be a "sex crime". They were both adults.

Also, underage but "adult" victims of trafficking (usually age 17) are still arrested and given adult records in many US states. These disturbing realities in the system are why I can't watch SVU anymore. Olivia Benson is no longer a hero in my eye if she sends a 16 year old to Riker's for being a victim of underage prostitution.

readytotaxi

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:16 pm

Wrong time of the month to got on honeymoon?

johns624

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:55 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

I would assume this guy probably lost his job as soon as the story got so much media attention, and that would be just the start.
Why would you assume that?

seb146

Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:58 pm

SEAorPWM wrote:
To be honest, I don't even consider what this guy did to be a "sex crime". They were both adults.

It depends on exactly what Florida law says about prostitution. Each state has various laws on the matter.

Kiwirob

Wed Aug 31, 2022 4:39 am

SEAorPWM wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

The article is from 2005, it’s not valid today.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:57 pm

johns624 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

I would assume this guy probably lost his job as soon as the story got so much media attention, and that would be just the start.
Why would you assume that?

Most companies would do it as damage control, given the wide spread media coverage any company would use this to say "Our (former) employee broke the law and we took immediate action we do not stand for this type of activity."

For the most part the USA is rather prude, and this type of behavior is not tolerated. Also in the past week as well many arrests were made in Las Vegas for the same thing.

IADCA

Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:05 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
seb146 wrote:

This attitude is a big part of why consensual sex work among adults should be de-criminalized.

Unless there's a minor or someone non-consenting involved, this is a victimless crime. Why should tax dollars be used prosecuting crimes in which there is no victim?

And why should employers care about a guy who did something that...wait for it...had no victim? If you don't want to hire a dude who cheats on his wife, fine. But this isn't someone who harassed a co-worker or aggressively propositioned a stranger at McDonalds. Like, why should shit like this be the Gossip Department's (uh, sorry, HR's) business?

EDIT: Also, as someone with hire/fire authority, I wouldn't can this dude, nor would I can the woman involved.