Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B717fan
Topic Author

10+ dead in mass stabbing in Saskatchewan

Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:49 pm

Some pretty disturbing and tragic news coming out of Saskatchewan today.
https://news.sky.com/story/ten-dead-and ... y-12690347

johns624

Re: 10+ dead in mass stabbing in Saskatchewan

Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:49 pm

Where there's a will, there's a way. I hope they don't take them alive.

Kent350787

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:16 am

johns624 wrote:
Where there's a will, there's a way. I hope they don't take them alive.

It's an awful situation. RIP all souls.

I hope they take them alive to find out what may have caused this apparently senseless massacre, and then that they ar esubject to the full force of the Canadian justice system.

johns624

Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:02 am

Kent350787 wrote:

I hope they take them alive to find out what may have caused this apparently senseless massacre
Nah, I don't want to hear their excuses--they grew up on the rez, they were picked on, they had an abusive father, etc., etc. There's no reason for what they did.

Pampot70

Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:48 am

RIP to all victims and a speedy recovery for all injured.

Homicide by policing is not honorable in a civilized country. I hope they are taken alive and tried by the best of Canadian judicial system. Of course, their defense will involve a troublesome past, and their lawyers will insist on it. But they have the right to defense, as well as Canadian judges have the freedom to choose the best sentence for them.

seb146

Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:27 am

johns624 wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

I hope they take them alive to find out what may have caused this apparently senseless massacre
Nah, I don't want to hear their excuses--they grew up on the rez, they were picked on, they had an abusive father, etc., etc. There's no reason for what they did.

I kinda do though, Hearing why two people would simply stab people to death.... that may point to a larger issue. Mental health or drug addiction. Maybe reaching out and helping people who may be at risk for doing this sort of thing in the future. Not just simply throwing up our hands and saying "oh, well... whatever...."

ltbewr

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:37 am

As of early Monday, there appears to be be 10 killed and 15 others injured over 13 sites mostly in the James Cree Nation indigenous community. The spree started near dawn on Sunday. As of late Sunday, the RCMP, (police), believe the 2 alleged killers are in the Regina area but there are major alerts posted in Saskatchewan and adjacent provinces. This is the larges mass killing event in the Provence. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/rc ... r-AA11tl7w

It may be the largest criminal death toll in the Provence's modern history (not including the genocide of indigenous persons in the 1800's and into the 20th century). Unlike most such mass killings, this didn't involve guns, but legal knives. I recall a mass killing spree several years ago in Eastern Canada and there have been others in the Ontario and Quebec over the last few decades. While many here and elsewhere advocate for summery execution by police of the 2 suspects, more likely they will kill themselves or be captured alive for trial. Canada nationally, all its provinces and territories, do not have the death penalty.

readytotaxi

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:40 am

They will have a lot of places to hide, quite remote country.

johns624

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:01 pm

readytotaxi wrote:
They will have a lot of places to hide, quite remote country.
I doubt if they have the skills to survive in remote country.

ACDC8

Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:44 pm

Seems like one of the suspects fortunately either offed himself or was done in by the other suspect:

https://www.cheknews.ca/rcmp-say-one-su ... d-1086503/

Anyone who's familiar with Canada's "Legal" system knows that this is the best outcome of these situations.

ACDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:50 pm

In regards to my previous statement, this is what I mean:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/38 ... ent#383740

The guy has 59 criminal convictions, mostly violent assault, he was serving a sentence and given parole last year and surprise, he doesn't check in with his parole officer. In Canada, its often said that we don't have a justice system, just a legal system which is literally a catch and release program with a revolving door. Even the RCMP here have criticized the legal system saying what's the point of catching these guys if the courts just throw them back on the streets?

johns624

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:21 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

The guy has 59 criminal convictions, mostly violent assault, he was serving a sentence and given parole last year and surprise, he doesn't check in with his parole officer.
Like I said above, there's no reason for him to be taken alive. Hopefully, he tries to fight it out with the police.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:45 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

The guy has 59 criminal convictions, mostly violent assault, he was serving a sentence and given parole last year and surprise, he doesn't check in with his parole officer. In Canada, its often said that we don't have a justice system, just a legal system which is literally a catch and release program with a revolving door. Even the RCMP here have criticized the legal system saying what's the point of catching these guys if the courts just throw them back on the streets?

We have the same issues in NZ, depending who you are and or ethnicity it’s due to a deprived childhood or colonisation, everyone has an excuse and nobody will take responsibility for their own actions.

leader1

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:53 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

My cousin is a Crown Prosecutor. This abides by what he says about the system overall. A lot of these guys are released because of politics and wanting to give certain groups a "fairer shake", even though they'll end up doing the same thing over and over again. Not to mention, some of the tribes pressure the criminal justice system to allow Native perps to go through "tribal justice" (which is essentially an even lighter slap on the wrist) rather than through the criminal justice system.

ACDC8

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:04 pm

Canadian legal system, literally in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hlOEK6P5Lg

LCDFlight

Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:35 pm

ACDC8 wrote:

Agreed, this was a clear failure of Canada’s legal system. It is most civilized to jail violent criminals for as long as it takes for them to become nonviolent. Research should guide that answer. If that means 90 years in jail, so be it. This is the #1 duty of a civilization.

If violence affected the privileged nearly as much as it does the under-privileged, we would see much more effective remedies being pushed with zeal by the state.

ACDC8

Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:25 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
[It is most civilized to jail violent criminals for as long as it takes for them to become nonviolent. Research should guide that answer. If that means 90 years in jail, so be it. This is the #1 duty of a civilization.

I absolutely agree with you on that.

The other suspect has been taken into custody:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatch ... -1.6575208

johns624

Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:13 am

ACDC8 wrote:
[
The other suspect has been taken into custody:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatch ... -1.6575208
I guess he's only violent when the police don't have guns pointed at him...

ACDC8

Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:05 am

Well, looks like we don't have to worry about our inept courts releasing this guy on to our streets yet again - died of self inflicted injuries:

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/subject-of-sa ... -1.6058299

Bye, bye birdie.