Liz Truss new UK PM

Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:17 pm

https://www.9news.com.au/world/uk-new-p ... a01233e649

Liz Truss to become next UK PM

All we can do is give her a go and see how she goes

Dutchy

Re: Liz Truss new UK PM

Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:13 pm

Good news for the rich, bad news for the ordinary men. Like she said herself: "It's fair to give wealthiest more money back"

Not good first signs and certainly not when you take into account her words about Johnson and the 2019 deal. She will not fundamentally change anything.

Ah well, she was chosen by 81.326 members of the conservative party, out of 66million Brits.

My feeling about this is, there will be a general election in 2023 with Johnson back in the saddle. We will see what the British electorate will think about the past 12 years of Conservative reign.

A101
Topic Author

Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:48 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Good news for the rich, bad news for the ordinary men. Like she said herself: "It's fair to give wealthiest more money back"

Sorry don’t agree with what you are saying in its entirety, I agree the wealthy should pay there fair share but the personal tax code also has to give incentives to further your own horizons. It also reduces the likely hold of moving money off shore and paying no tax

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:51 am

Dutchy wrote:
Ah well, she was chosen by 81.326 members of the conservative party, out of 66million Brits.

So how many voted for the 3 EU Presidents again mate?
President of the European Council EU electorate votes =0votes

President of the European Commission EU electorate votes =0 votes

President of the European Council EU electorate votes =0 votes

Least the party members get a vote and remember the electorate does not vote for the PM in the UK they vote for their local member

Dutchy wrote:
My feeling about this is, there will be a general election in 2023 with Johnson back in the saddle. We will see what the British electorate will think about the past 12 years of Conservative reign.

That’s the parties prerogative

ltbewr

Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:25 am

The new PM in Truss is likely to be short and brutal. She has 180'ed on many positions in her past to the present. She is going to have to deal with the biggest economic problems, in particular inflation in energy costs, the UK has seen in decades and may be an unsolvable crises for the foreseeable future.

ReverseFlow

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:19 am

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sorry don’t agree with what you are saying in its entirety, I agree the wealthy should pay there fair share but the personal tax code also has to give incentives to further your own horizons. It also reduces the likely hold of moving money off shore and paying no tax
You mean like Dyson and Radcliffe did?

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:48 am

ReverseFlow wrote:
A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Those two hardly meet the definition of ordinary

Remember the highest tax rate starts at £150000 in this day and age I hardly would call that wealthy just doing alright

Aesma

Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:16 am

A101 wrote:
https://www.9news.com.au/world/uk-new-prime-minister-conservative-party-liz-truss-rushi-sunak/65ca1c63-d2b3-4958-b743-66a01233e649

You can give her what you want, my mind is already made up, but of course I don't have a vote. From a smart buffoon to a dumb moron, the UK likes to entertain us !

A101 wrote:

The UK is well known to be at the forefront of the struggle against tax evasion, tax loopholes, tax heavens...not !

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Least the party members get a vote and remember the electorate does not vote for the PM in the UK they vote for their local member

In your last sentence you describe an indirect election. The 3 EU presidents have been elected through a similar indirect election :

I voted for Macron who chose the President of the European Council.
I voted for Macron who designated the President of the European Commission, and I voted for an MEP who endorsed her.
I voted for an MEP who chose the President of the European Parliament.

Kiwirob

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:29 am

Dutchy wrote:

Not good first signs and certainly not when you take into account her words about Johnson and the 2019 deal. She will not fundamentally change anything.

And Sweden's latest PM was chosen by about 100 people, but they was trumpeted as a victory for women.

Its sad that Boris set the bar so low than even pond scum like Truss get to be PM.

bennett123

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:57 am

A101 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
A101 wrote:

Remember the highest tax rate starts at £150000 in this day and age I hardly would call that wealthy just doing alright

£150K 'just doing alright'?.

Really?.

Aesma

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:03 am

For reference : The median average salary for all workers in the UK is £25,971

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:32 am

Aemsa wrote:
A101 wrote:

https://www.9news.com.au/world/uk-new-p ... a01233e649

You can give her what you want, my mind is already made up, but of course I don't have a vote. From a smart buffoon to a dumb moron, the UK likes to entertain us !

Everyone’s entitled to their own opinion.

But I give the benefit of the doubt until I see what she actually does whilst PM

Aemsa wrote:
A101 wrote:

The UK is well known to be at the forefront of the struggle against tax evasion, tax loopholes, tax heavens...not !

That’s because of the high personal income tax rates. The average taxpayer does it as well but most don’t even know they are if they have a smart accountant.

Aemsa wrote:
A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

In your last sentence you describe an indirect election. The 3 EU presidents have been elected through a similar indirect election :

I voted for Macron who chose the President of the European Council.
I voted for Macron who designated the President of the European Commission, and I voted for an MEP who endorsed her.
I voted for an MEP who chose the President of the European Parliament.

Correct......

It was a direct reply to Dutchy as his post made it out to be something that it’s not, but as I said the party members actually get a direct vote unlike the indirect you mentioned

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:37 am

bennett123 wrote:
A101 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Really?.

Yes stand by what I said £150000 is not wealthy, when you take into account the cost of living the average home price in the UK £277000 (that’s across all parts of UK) it’s not that much in greater scheme of things

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:46 am

Aesma wrote:

And they would be struggling with cost of living and mortgage payments

Aesma

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:11 am

A101 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

And lowering the tax of the wealthy will help them ?

GDB

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:16 am

Radon Liz (She's a gas but inert);
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ic-victory

Thick Lizzy's ascent was even overshadowed by a comedian being suitably sarcastic to a useless political correspondent;
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... il-outrage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0-6A5dapGs&t=17s

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:54 am

A101 wrote:
https://www.9news.com.au/world/uk-new-prime-minister-conservative-party-liz-truss-rushi-sunak/65ca1c63-d2b3-4958-b743-66a01233e649

A borrowed quote:

Boris Johnson has set the Prime Ministerial bar very low. Liz Truss will limbo straight under it.

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:57 am

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Ah, the good old "trickle down" bollocks.

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:59 am

bennett123 wrote:
A101 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Really?.

He's as out of touch as any Tory PM.

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:05 am

Aesma wrote:

I believe that figure includes part-time workers who may only work a handful of hours per week.

The median average salary for full-time work is £31,447.
Source: https://www.avtrinity.com/uk-average-salary

Not brilliant, but certainly nowhere near A101's head-in-the-clouds definition of "doing alright".

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:06 am

Aesma wrote:
A101 wrote:
Aesma wrote:

And lowering the tax of the wealthy will help them ?

Of course, it always does. :sarcastic:

GDB

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:46 am

So a typically graceless word salad of BS as a departing speech by Johnson, laced with the expected self pity, maybe a better 'tribute' by 'Jonathan Pie' so if you are offended by some strong language, be warned;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAg8mhUrKY

And to the woman of no hour, who named one of her kids 'Liberty'. Liberty Truss? Sounds like a Victorian chastity device;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... -liz-truss
Last edited by GDB on Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Number6

Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:53 am

GDB wrote:
So a typically graceless word salad of BS as a departing speech by Johnson, laced with the expected self pity, maybe a better 'tribute' by 'Jonathan Pie' so if you are offended by some strong language, be warned;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDAg8mhUrKY

Just an utterly Epic, a spot on assessment of Mr. Johnson. Thanks for sharing!

bennett123

Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:16 pm

A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
A101 wrote:

Really?.

Yes stand by what I said £150000 is not wealthy, when you take into account the cost of living the average home price in the UK £277000 (that’s across all parts of UK) it’s not that much in greater scheme of things

A house may cost £277K but most people don't buy a house in cash every year.

marcelh

Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:42 pm

ltbewr wrote:
The new PM in Truss is likely to be short and brutal. She has 180'ed on many positions in her past to the present.

Did she? O yes!

https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/701028930183110656
https://twitter.com/trussliz/status/745339549132464128

Dutchy

Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:50 pm

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Don't open that can of worms, we are not talking about the EU at the moment. But to answer your question, the same as the House of Lords.

A101 wrote:

Sure, but it would be more logical to have a general election if the PM is forced out.

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sure, I just share my views, you can agree with or not, but that is what I think about it.

marcelh

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Don't open that can of worms, we are not talking about the EU at the moment. But to answer your question, the same as the House of Lords.

A101 wrote:

Sure, but it would be more logical to have a general election if the PM is forced out.

A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Sure, I just share my views, you can agree with or not, but that is what I think about it.

You forgot to mention the “single-member districts” voting system is heavily favoring the Conservative Party. 56% of the seats by only 44% of the votes…

GDB

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:28 pm

Four Prime Ministers in six years tell it's own story, you are a mug to draw anything but the obvious conclusion.
Out of touch, out of ideas, out of control, out to blame anyone and everyone except themselves, be it the EU, (leaving it is costing 10's of billions a year, companies going bust hand over fist), or comedians, or whoever the Tory Tabloids go after today, this week....
(In the 90's it was single mothers, so of course the same rags that banged on about it then cheered on multiple single mother creator Johnson, who has also tried to dispute the paternity of some of them).

Or put another way and better than I ever could;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nister-mps

LittleFokker

Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:13 pm

GDB wrote:
Or put another way and better than I ever could;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nister-mps

I've ready some opinion articles, and that was scathing. I admire the boldness of her rebuke, and none of it inspires future confidence in the UK. Hopefully a new general election is called soon.

marcelh

Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:39 pm

LittleFokker wrote:
Hopefully a new general election is called soon.

Will that be a change for the better? As long as those in the benches are dreaming about what has been and trying to bring that back, not much will change…

ElPistolero

Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:36 pm

A101 wrote:

“As Liz said there, she said it would be wrong to predict the future even though loads of people have predicted that we’re going to have real issues with paying our energy bills but I think she’s right to just then basically say ‘let’s not predict and see what happens next week.“

Joe Lycett

Meanwhile yesterday’s Spectator podcast has none other than Fraser Nelson saying that even some MPs backing her expect her to be gone by April. Evidently based on having a fairly polarized Tory party (the majority of MPs haven’t come out and explicitly backed her) and a noticeably smaller margin of victory among members, which has also split along rural/urban lines, with London going Sunak and the north going Truss (despite Sunak being the only one who voted for Brexit).

Don’t think there’s much to see here - we know what she’s offering: low taxes and high spending. That’s populism, not conservatism, so the knives will probably be out soon enough.

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

You opened it yourself; members of the Lords are not sitting PM. And if I remember my history right the last UK PM from the Lords was Sir Alec Douglas-Home renouncing his peerage and taking a seat in the Commons

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:

That would be logical if the electorate actually voted for the PM, it’s the same system in AU/NZ. It does not even happen in the US the Vice President steps up to the plate if the President is forced out or resigns

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:54 pm

bennett123 wrote:
A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

Really?.

Never said they did, the average home loan is now over 30 years in my day it’s was 20

Mortgage stress is a relivent factor with increasing interest rates

Dutchy

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:04 pm

A101 wrote:
That would be logical if the electorate actually voted for the PM, it’s the same system in AU/NZ. It does not even happen in the US the Vice President steps up to the plate if the President is forced out or resigns

Nope, if the cabinet falls in the Netherlands, it automatically triggers new elections and it works in the same way in many democracies around the world. The UK system is the exception, not the rule. It is the first past the post system that makes this possible.

It would be quite logical, Boris Johnson headed the party in the last elections, and now he is gone, so let the electorate decide if the successor is worthy of the office. That would be the democratic thing to do.

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:16 pm

ElPistolero wrote:
A101 wrote:

“As Liz said there, she said it would be wrong to predict the future even though loads of people have predicted that we’re going to have real issues with paying our energy bills but I think she’s right to just then basically say ‘let’s not predict and see what happens next week.“

Joe Lycett

Meanwhile yesterday’s Spectator podcast has none other than Fraser Nelson saying that even some MPs backing her expect her to be gone by April. Evidently based on having a fairly polarized Tory party (the majority of MPs haven’t come out and explicitly backed her) and a noticeably smaller margin of victory among members, which has also split along rural/urban lines, with London going Sunak and the north going Truss (despite Sunak being the only one who voted for Brexit).

Don’t think there’s much to see here - we know what she’s offering: low taxes and high spending. That’s populism, not conservatism, so the knives will probably be out soon enough.

That’s all we can do is see how she performs, if she dosnt then either the party or the electorate will have their say

As they say never judge a book by its cover, so as said previously I will give benefit of the doubt and see how she performs

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:16 pm

A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:
A101 wrote:

Never said they did, the average home loan is now over 30 years in my day it’s was 20

None of which reduces the absurdity of claiming that earning £150k is just “doing alright”.

What percentage of the UK workforce is earning £150k?

ElPistolero

Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:31 pm

A101 wrote:

That’s all we can do is see how she performs, if she dosnt then either the party or the electorate will have their say

As they say never judge a book by its cover, so as said previously I will give benefit of the doubt and see how she performs

There’s no cover to judge here. She’s the continuity candidate, cakeism and all. How she’s going to square away tax cuts with this new energy bill cap is anybody’s guess. It’s the latest version of the “oven ready deal”; we all know she probably won’t be able to implement everything she’s promised, and that her boosters won’t admit it until it’s too late, but she said what some Tory members wanted to hear, and far be it from us to question their judgment on “oven-ready” things, notwithstanding their terrible track record so far.

True to form, the PM who didn’t even have the support of the majority of her MPs, is now culling cabinet and stacking it with loyalists. Pretty bold move for someone who’s demanding party unity.

But anyway, can’t say I was surprised. The moment it became Sunak vs Truss… well, let’s just say it isn’t a surprise that Brexit-voting Sunak lost to Remain voting Truss among Tories in Brexit-backing areas. Something about immigration.

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
A101 wrote:
bennett123 wrote:

None of which reduces the absurdity of claiming that earning £150k is just “doing alright”.

What is your marker for doing allright then?

£30-40-50 100000?

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
A101 wrote:

Nope, if the cabinet falls in the Netherlands, it automatically triggers new elections and it works in the same way in many democracies around the world. The UK system is the exception, not the rule. It is the first past the post system that makes this possible.

It would be quite logical, Boris Johnson headed the party in the last elections, and now he is gone, so let the electorate decide if the successor is worthy of the office. That would be the democratic thing to do.

First past the post has nothing to do with it, the UK electorate does not vote for the PM directly under UK laws and it’s UK that the parties follows not what you think should happen

GDB

Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:50 pm

Another slice of Pie, though the publishers of this one seem to think some swear words are more obscene that the actual and very true things he is describing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5aWtcx02ZI

scbriml

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:45 pm

A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
A101 wrote:

£30-40-50 100000?

You ignored the question - what percentage of the UK workforce is earning £150k?

Your claim regarding earning £150k is "doing alright" is shockingly out of touch with reality for the vast majority of Brits. As out of touch as those millionaire Tory MPs.

The data may be a nearly three years old (the article was written late 2019), but it puts your £150k into perspective.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ers-labour
Reality
When it comes to annual income, a salary of £80,000 would put someone firmly in the top 5% of UK earners. According to HMRC taxpayer data from 2016-17, the 95th percentile of earnings began at £75,300. If this has gone up in line with other earnings growth, it will be just over £80,000 this year.

So £80k in late 2019 would put you in the top 5% in the country. By your definition, not many people in the UK are "doing alright".

bennett123

Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:47 pm

A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
A101 wrote:

£30-40-50 100000?

I would say £50-60K.

Clearly if I still had a mortgage I would pitch it higher.

A101
Topic Author

Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:19 pm

scbriml wrote:
A101 wrote:
scbriml wrote:

£30-40-50 100000?

You ignored the question - what percentage of the UK workforce is earning £150k?

Your claim regarding earning £150k is "doing alright" is shockingly out of touch with reality for the vast majority of Brits. As out of touch as those millionaire Tory MPs.

The data may be a nearly three years old (the article was written late 2019), but it puts your £150k into perspective.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ers-labour
Reality
When it comes to annual income, a salary of £80,000 would put someone firmly in the top 5% of UK earners. According to HMRC taxpayer data from 2016-17, the 95th percentile of earnings began at £75,300. If this has gone up in line with other earnings growth, it will be just over £80,000 this year.

So £80k in late 2019 would put you in the top 5% in the country. By your definition, not many people in the UK are "doing alright".

Lol did I say those on less than £150pa are doing all right.

Obviously my opinion on doing all right is different to yours.

I did all right in my working career, I’m certainly not a wealthy as you put it by doing all right.

One should also put it in perspective when we are talking about personal income tax rates.

https://www.gov.uk/income-tax-rates

You overly tax a certain demographic because they had the audacity to better themselves to be able earn that sort money is no incentive to do it. Which in turn be able to become a self funded retiree and not become a burden on the system

80000-40%=£32000
150000-40%=£60000
150000-45%=£67500

As you can see a progressive tax rate still has a net benefit to government whilst also giving incentives to further one self

cedarjet

Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:04 am

By the time these Tories have finished with us there’ll be nothing left of the country. Scotland will be gone, our precious health service will be gone, our economy will be gone. Europe as a place to live work or even trade with is already gone.

And Truss will obviously be a catastrophe. Any two senses will tell you she’s not a leader of a country. Imagine someone every bit as incompetent, incurious and indifferent as Johnson but without the charm and charisma. It’s going to be brutal.

A101
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:03 am

cedarjet wrote:
By the time these Tories have finished with us there’ll be nothing left of the country. Scotland will be gone, our precious health service will be gone, our economy will be gone. Europe as a place to live work or even trade with is already gone.

And Truss will obviously be a catastrophe. Any two senses will tell you she’s not a leader of a country. Imagine someone every bit as incompetent, incurious and indifferent as Johnson but without the charm and charisma. It’s going to be brutal.

Ahhh the sky is falling down....... :rotfl:

LabQuest

Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:13 am

How on earth are Europeans complaining about democracy when half their parliaments elect people with no say from the public. Astounding and hypocritical.

House of lords. Honorific senates in Italy and France...what a joke.

Pampot70

Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:46 am

LabQuest wrote:
How on earth are Europeans complaining about democracy when half their parliaments elect people with no say from the public. Astounding and hypocritical.

As an Italian, I am going to vote for Senate as well in two weeks. On top of the democratically elected senators, there are a maximum of 7 life-long senators, named by the President of the Republic, who are super partes and in principle not aligned with any political party or coalition.
In Italy, everybody has the right of vote and everybody is automatically registered as an elector on the 18th birthday. Everybody is told where to go to vote on election day.
I call this democracy. I do not intend to further discuss the matter or make jokes on other forms of democracy which might be acceptable and applied in other countries.

I cannot speak for France or the House of Lords or future performances of the new Prime Minister of the UK, I leave it to a.netters more versed in their own countries.

GDB

Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:11 am

LabQuest wrote:

But you have Gerrymandering on an epic scale and are working hard to roll back equal voting rights, something that itself only happened nearly two centuries after the ‘Land Of The Free’ was formed.
Not defending the bad elements of UK democracy, it’s as bad in some respects as the US, however the recent UK governments have been so catastrophic that it is very likely that the call for reform is unstoppable.
Plus it’s far easier to get things done, the US still has not figured out abortion, or rather forces with nowhere near majority support have rolled it back.
Here, an Act of Parliament in 1967.

The US is now so screwed up by politics being a game for billionaires.
A loser of an election refusing to accept it, encouraging a mob to attack your Capitol, now found to have taken documents he had no right to have and he has not been arrested?
Other actual Western Democracies cannot understand this, well the US isn’t is it? It’s a Republic with a weird 18th Century hangover called the Electoral College.

scbriml

Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:12 am

cedarjet wrote:

I predict Truss will be so bad that people will start missing the cockwomble Johnson.

The circus is the same, just a different clown.

Aesma

Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:40 am

ElPistolero wrote:
A101 wrote:

Joe Lycett

I took my twitter dose yesterday and it seems a lot of conservatives have a deep, unhealthy hatred for Sunak. Instead of saying things like "good fight, thanks", they're angry at him even though he lost.

That tells a lot.

LabQuest wrote:

I don't know where you come from with this, but the directly elected US Senate is a nightmare, giving as much power to states with few inhabitants as to states with a lot of people.

The French Senate has this representativity problem too, favoring the countryside, but it has less power : it can only slow down the passage of bills, not kill them.