Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

santi319
Topic Author

Gulf states demand Netflix pull content deemed offensive

Sun Sep 11, 2022 6:19 am

Hmm and they want Dubai and Doha to become global cities?

Whos gonna tell them that slavery is also inmoral and offensive…

https://www.gulftoday.ae/news/2022/09/06/uae-issues-warning-to-netflix-over-inappropriate-content

B777LRF

Re: Gulf states demand Netflix pull content deemed offensive

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:00 am

One hopes the transition to renewables and nuclear will be accelerating at such a pace following the unpleasantness in Ukraine, that within my lifetime the world may collectively say to those middle-aged mindset countries: It’s back to pearls, camels and carpets for you lot.

I’ve lived in Doha and Dubai. Horrible places, where the level of prejudice and double standards is astronomically high. Did you know that one of the more popular destinations for Arabian males to go on vacation is Morocco? They’ve industrialised prostitution to the point you can “marry” a women for the duration of your stay, and then “divorce” her just before the vacation is up. That way you haven’t technically speaking committed adultery and Allah’s supposedly happy. Or how about ordering a beer in a bar at a hotel, and asking the waiter to put a napkin around it to hide the content? Apparently Allah can’t see through paper, and then all’s fine. Or how about taking a yacht out during Ramadan, and as soon as you’ve cleared the port all the food, beers and booze you can dream of appears as if by magic. It would seem that Allah is afraid of water and can’t see what’s going on when you’re boating, and then all’s good.

seb146

Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:57 pm

Can't these places block streaming services or have streaming services not post content deemed offensive?

GDB

Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:52 pm

I find a place built on modern slavery offensive.

Aesma

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:25 pm

Maybe they realize they can only be global Muslim cities and thus want to clamp down on too unislamic stuff, just like they severely punish extramarital sex and things like that.

santi319
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:31 pm

Aesma wrote:
Maybe they realize they can only be global Muslim cities and thus want to clamp down on too unislamic stuff, just like they severely punish extramarital sex and things like that.

They like attracting western chains and western workers, if you have ever been to Dubai or Doha, you can see most jobs of a certain entry level are almost all filled by western-born workers.

If they wanted to become a purely Muslim global city it would be just them and the rest of the population would be South Asian workers and for some reason they deem this uncool (a world cup wouldn’t happen in a country like this.

So its ok to have pet cheetahs and parties in hotels, but its wrong to watch Buzz Lightyear because there is a lesbian character. Make it make sense.

Newark727

Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:43 pm

When you said Gulf states, I thought you meant Alabama and Mississippi for a second. :duck:

santi319
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:08 pm

Newark727 wrote:
When you said Gulf states, I thought you meant Alabama and Mississippi for a second. :duck:

The Gulf Middle East states are walking so the Bible belt can run…

bluecrew

Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:33 pm

The UAE media office tweet included an image of the film's poster, with the profile image of its main character Buzz Lightyear with a "Prohibited” symbol.

The movie reportedly includes a character voiced by actress Uzo Aduba kissing another woman with whom she's in a relationship. The authorities said that this particular theme violates the media and content laws in the UAE.

So... they're offended by Toy Story.

Got it.

Yeah I'm going to come down on the side of modern day slavery and indentured servitude being worse than an animated lesbian kiss. No need to equivocate, they're so much worse.

Vintage

Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:23 pm

If Netflix tells them to buzz off, maybe I'll subscribe to their service for a while.

santi319
Topic Author

Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:04 pm

Vintage wrote:
If Netflix tells them to buzz off, maybe I'll subscribe to their service for a while.

Netflix should begin, then everybody else.

The worst thing you can do to the Gulf countries is isolate them and treat them like they are irrelevant and backwards…

Imagine the triggering if Ferrari or Fendi were to pull out of Dubai..

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:01 pm

Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

Same values. Different bank accounts.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:24 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

I’ve been extensively in both states and countries—nothing like each other. To compare the UAE to America is just silly Prejudice isn’t a good look

MaverickM11

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

I’ve been extensively in both states and countries—nothing like each other. To compare the UAE to America is just silly Prejudice isn’t a good look

Conservatives literally lost their minds over the same film one year ago, and have only spiraled further since:

'Lightyear' Film Slammed by Conservatives: 'Go Woke, Go Broke'
https://www.newsweek.com/lightyear-movi ... ey-1717385

Newark727

Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

True. The emirs in Dubai wouldn't have let Jackson's water situation get so bad. Would scare off the tourists.

SoCalPilot

Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:57 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

Oh yeah? Go try to be gay or lesbian in the UAE and let me know if you still think they're the same.

They aren't anywhere close to being the same politically or culturally, and comments like that just show how blinded you are by your own biases.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:04 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Same same.

Conservatives literally lost their minds over the same film one year ago, and have only spiraled further since:

And, this film, not banned by the way, is related to the Netflix being considered offensive and removed by the Gulf states how?

Since the topic has moved off-thread, The party that has spiraled out of their collective minds is the liberals aka progressives who, having campaigned on a return to normalcy, are screaming that those who disagree with them are “fascists”; “out to end democracy” and “election deniers”. All of which is pure projection. The progressives want to rewrite the Constitution; want to impose speech bans on their political opposition; have denied election after election; and rule by executive fiat unmoored by Congress. Anyone know where Biden’s $500 billion to find debt relief came from? No appropriation I can find. Where did Biden find the authority to continue rent moratorium after the SCOTUS explicitly denied he had that authority.

Newark727

Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:48 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Since the topic has moved off-thread, The party that has spiraled out of their collective minds is the liberals aka progressives who, having campaigned on a return to normalcy, are screaming that those who disagree with them are “fascists”; “out to end democracy” and “election deniers”. All of which is pure projection. The progressives want to rewrite the Constitution; want to impose speech bans on their political opposition; have denied election after election; and rule by executive fiat unmoored by Congress. Anyone know where Biden’s $500 billion to find debt relief came from? No appropriation I can find. Where did Biden find the authority to continue rent moratorium after the SCOTUS explicitly denied he had that authority.

"I know you are, but what am I?" - apparently the best argument that conservatives in the greatest democracy in the world can manage right now.

MaverickM11

Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:55 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

And, this film, not banned by the way, is related to the Netflix being considered offensive and removed by the Gulf states how?

How do conservatives losing their mind over the same exact thing as the UAE have anything to do with each other? Idunno it's a mystery!

Conservatives trying to purge any and every mention of LGBTQ or African American people from coast to coast, from libraries, schools, films, companies, you name it, makes the UAE look like a sensible request.

SoCalPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

Oh yeah? Go try to be gay or lesbian in the UAE and let me know if you still think they're the same.

They aren't anywhere close to being the same politically or culturally, and comments like that just show how blinded you are by your own biases.

I know plenty of gay people in the UAE. Who do you think works for all those airlines? Meanwhile in TX the GOP inserted into its platform that homosexuality is an "abnormal lifestyle choice." And god help you if you have the audacity to go to a drag brunch in Texas--conservatives will show up and hunt you down and violently threaten the establishment until the event is canceled, for....reasons. Conservatives and the UAE have a lot in common!

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:32 am

As much as I'm not enamoured with the Arabs, I find the hypocrisy displayed by some posters here to be nauseating to be honest.

SEAorPWM

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:33 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:

How do conservatives losing their mind over the same exact thing as the UAE have anything to do with each other? Idunno it's a mystery!

Conservatives trying to purge any and every mention of LGBTQ or African American people from coast to coast, from libraries, schools, films, companies, you name it, makes the UAE look like a sensible request.

SoCalPilot wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Same same.

I know plenty of gay people in the UAE. Who do you think works for all those airlines? Meanwhile in TX the GOP inserted into its platform that homosexuality is an "abnormal lifestyle choice." And god help you if you have the audacity to go to a drag brunch in Texas--conservatives will show up and hunt you down and violently threaten the establishment until the event is canceled, for....reasons. Conservatives and the UAE have a lot in common!

You might know plenty of gay people in the UAE, but they cannot be out locally (jailtime at best).

As much as I find Texas in the current climate to be a backwards shithole, I'd much rather take my chances as a Bi person in Austin or Houston than anywhere in the Middle East. Your comment is ridiculous.

ACDC8

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:54 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
To compare the UAE to America is just silly Prejudice isn’t a good look

The UAE wasn't compared to the US, the comparison was made to the Bible Belt which represents a small part of the US but, traditionally, has a very unique perception towards certain morals and values.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:20 am

ACDC8 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

The UAE wasn't compared to the US, the comparison was made to the Bible Belt which represents a small part of the US but, traditionally, has a very unique perception towards certain morals and values.

Maybe, but the deepest Bible Belt isn’t UAE, I been in both, lived in MS, too, no comparison.

casinterest

Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:33 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Maybe, but the deepest Bible Belt isn’t UAE, I been in both, lived in MS, too, no comparison.

But, MS and the bible belt are easy if you get along where you get along, and don't go where you don't belong.

Appearances and friends are a big differentiator in the US and in foreign countries. If you aren't from the right church, or the right neighborhood, life can be brutal .

ACDC8

Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:35 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

You do realize it was a tongue in cheek comment, right? Laugh a little, life is serious enough at the best of times.

MaverickM11

Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:14 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Certainly not for want of trying. Republicans would *love* to have the same laws as the UAE. Four GOP 2016 presidential candidates met with a pastor who wants to kill the gays, and they most certainly will again.

scbriml

Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:39 pm

SEAorPWM wrote:
You might know plenty of gay people in the UAE, but they cannot be out locally (jailtime at best).

As much as I find Texas in the current climate to be a backwards shithole, I'd much rather take my chances as a Bi person in Austin or Houston than anywhere in the Middle East. Your comment is ridiculous.

I’ve seen plenty of openly gay couples in the UAE. Yes, public displays of affection may cause trouble, but that’s true for unmarried straight couples as well.

Houston and Dallas are one thing, try being openly gay in Alabama. See the infamous “Top Gear” episode. https://youtu.be/pKcJ-0bAHB4

scbriml

Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:41 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MaverickM11 wrote:
Newark727 wrote:

Same same.

And some claim Americans don’t do irony. :rotfl:

scbriml

Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:45 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Total stab in the dark, but I’m gonna guess you’re a white, straight, god-fearing christian?

bennett123

Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:11 pm

Having watched the 'Top Gear' episode, I then read the comments.

AFAICS, no one was saying this is unrealistic.

Scary

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:24 pm

scbriml wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Total stab in the dark, but I’m gonna guess you’re a white, straight, god-fearing christian?

[*]
How much experience in any of these places, not counting on the web listening to other prejudiced people? Read up on Natchez, Hot Springs, New Orleans, lots of different people, ideas, and religions there. News flash, it’s changed in 60 years. The UAE hasn’t at its core.

The latest UAE Penal Law introduces a new provision for parenting children born out of wedlock. It provides that anyone who has sexual intercourse with a woman who has completed 18 years of age, resulting in the birth of a child, shall be subject to a minimum of two years in jail.

santi319
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:06 pm

A gay household that is an expat (80% of Dubai) and is outed to the government as such, will most likely get their working visa cancelled and you won’t even hear it in the news or know about it.

BawliBooch

Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:34 pm

santi319 wrote:
Vintage wrote:

The worst thing you can do to the Gulf countries is isolate them and treat them like they are irrelevant and backwards…

Really? Isolate them eh? Why only target the Gulf countries? The United States has some allies right now that have already done exactly what some Gulf states are planning to do now - censoring Netflix content. If the crime is the same should the punishment also not be the same? Why is one guy your prized ally and the other is targeted for Sanctions?

santi319
Topic Author

Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:54 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
santi319 wrote:
Vintage wrote:

Really? Isolate them eh? Why only target the Gulf countries? The United States has some allies right now that have already done exactly what some Gulf states are planning to do now - censoring Netflix content. If the crime is the same should the punishment also not be the same? Why is one guy your prized ally and the other is targeted for Sanctions?

Isolate them all!! Obviously! But this thread is specific to the gulf countries.

BawliBooch

Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:02 am

santi319 wrote:
Isolate them all!! Obviously! But this thread is specific to the gulf countries.

Yes! But my point is , like we saw in other threads about Saudi starting a new airline to rival Emirates, that this "Isolate them" rhetoric comes out only when Gulf countries are being discussed.

SEAorPWM

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:24 am

santi319 wrote:
A gay household that is an expat (80% of Dubai) and is outed to the government as such, will most likely get their working visa cancelled and you won’t even hear it in the news or know about it.

Still bigoted whichever way you look at it.

SEAorPWM

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:28 am

BawliBooch wrote:
santi319 wrote:
Vintage wrote:

These countries are already significant allies of the US, and thus are open to criticism on this subject (and so is the US on its foreign policy).

I don't have to reiterate what the UAE or KSA think of LGBT people and how it compares to other moderately gay-hostile US allies like Italy or Japan.

TSS

Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:46 am

scbriml wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:

I’ve seen plenty of openly gay couples in the UAE. Yes, public displays of affection may cause trouble, but that’s true for unmarried straight couples as well.

Houston and Dallas are one thing, try being openly gay in Alabama. See the infamous “Top Gear” episode. https://youtu.be/pKcJ-0bAHB4

Try driving vehicles emblazoned with statements that go against the local religion, football/soccer, into Manchester UK and see what sort of reception the Mancunians give you. When in Rome, don't deliberately go out of your way to piss off the Romans.

Aaron747

Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 am

SEAorPWM wrote:
BawliBooch wrote:
santi319 wrote:

These countries are already significant allies of the US, and thus are open to criticism on this subject (and so is the US on its foreign policy).

I don't have to reiterate what the UAE or KSA think of LGBT people and how it compares to other moderately gay-hostile US allies like Italy or Japan.

For the record, Japanese society has never historically been hostile to homosexuals, and only introduced anti-gay policies in recent history to pacify Western interests. Homosexual relations are not illegal anywhere in Japan and homosexual relationships are only not codified in law because the US imposed the current Constitution and it is quite difficult politically and otherwise to change it.

GDB

Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:01 pm

TSS wrote:
scbriml wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:

Try driving vehicles emblazoned with statements that go against the local religion, football/soccer, into Manchester UK and see what sort of reception the Mancunians give you. When in Rome, don't deliberately go out of your way to piss off the Romans.

Really? Little to no chance of being shot at, many would laugh and the population of Manchester is more diverse, in the usual as well as gene pool terms.
And it's Football, the one the rest of the world plays.
City and United? Hardly two sides sides of the Civil War.
You might not have heard but Football violence is rare now, look abroad for worse versions.
Manchester also has a large gay population, pride events, that's gay pride not white pride and Trumps 'fine people'.
Hard to think of two more different places, the birthplace of the industrial revolution and Alabama.