Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

21 Years Since 9/11

Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:52 pm

Today marks the 21 year anniversary of the attacks on September 11, 2001 and may we never forget those who lost their lives that day.
viewtopic.php?t=1342689#p19073891

Tugger

Re: 21 Years Since 9/11

Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:31 pm

Yes, definitely not forgotten but has become "normal" sadly. There are memorials and acknowledgements, events planned and flowers laid but it has become a part of the past. A terrible part and always remembered, but not... "celebrated" is the wrong word but I can't think of another.

I guess even WWII, twenty-one years after its end, was not as huge a thing. Of course I was only just born at that point.

I certainly remember 9/11.

I watched, live on TV, as the second plane hit the South Tower of the WTC. A small black thing, oddly indistinct though I could tell it was a plane of some kind. It disappeared behind, then the building blossomed orange as the fireball from the impact blew out the side and windows of the building. (Edited to add: I just re-watched and see I mixed the two channels I was flipping between, NBC and ABC. I was watching NBC when Flight 175 hit, then started flipping back and forth between channels. It was clearly visible on ABC for exactly what it was).

And I am forever thankful to the passengers of United Flt 93 for saving the same fate from befalling either the Capitol Building or White House.

Too many brave and innocent people died that day.

Tugg

NIKV69

Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:15 am

Tugger wrote:
Yes, definitely not forgotten but has become "normal" sadly. There are memorials and acknowledgements, events planned and flowers laid but it has become a part of the past. A terrible part and always remembered, but not... "celebrated" is the wrong word but I can't think of another.

I guess even WWII, twenty-one years after its end, was not as huge a thing. Of course I was only just born at that point.

I certainly remember 9/11.

I watched, live on TV, as the second plane hit the South Tower of the WTC. A small black thing, oddly indistinct though I could tell it was a plane of some kind. It disappeared behind, then the building blossomed orange as the fireball from the impact blew out the side and windows of the building. (Edited to add: I just re-watched and see I mixed the two channels I was flipping between, NBC and ABC. I was watching NBC when Flight 175 hit, then started flipping back and forth between channels. It was clearly visible on ABC for exactly what it was).

And I am forever thankful to the passengers of United Flt 93 for saving the same fate from befalling either the Capitol Building or White House.

Too many brave and innocent people died that day.

Tugg

We rarely agree but you are right on this one. Being a NYer and living though it I will never forget. The funerals and things after. Terrorism hit home that day. I work weekends and didn't get a chance to watch the news and the reading of the names but will do so tomorrow.

pune

Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:22 pm

When the first plane hit, I couldn't believe it. I was thinking it is some sort of dramatization. Something like 'War of the Worlds'. It is only after the second plane hit and I think we saw that in real-time that told it happened. For me it was unreal and couldn't fathom how anybody could do this, still can't. So many innocent people died unnecessarily, and the end goal was nothing but chaos :(. I am sure a few profited from those who knew and bet the market on going south or recession. How much the investigating agencies looked into that only god knows. A much sadder point is that there are people who think the American Govt. did this, but can't really tell the reason why did they do this. For what reason? Even though I'm non-American, I do feel empathy towards fellow human beings.

It was also sad that the Saudi angle was never investigated till it was too late. Perhaps that was the idea, not to catch them before some time passes. The more the time passes, the colder the trail is :(

einsteinboricua

Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:01 pm

7th grade Spanish class. The towers had already collapsed when we found out but we were kept in the dark for the day because we didn't have TVs, computers, or radios. I got to my grandparents' house who had the news on and fully took in what had just happened.

af773atmsp

Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:21 am

As there are more people who were born after 9/11, I hope we talk to them about it the right way. I want to be clear that I am absolutely not defending the awful people who committed and supported those attacks. However, this wasn't a case of America doing nothing wrong and the attack unprovoked. People don't commit something like this just for the hell of it. America (specifically our government and military) pissed off the wrong people, and we thought we were above having something like 9/11 happen on our soil. It seems we didn't learn from Pearl Harbor and domestic terror that our country can be just as vulnerable as anywhere else.

Last year I watched the documentary about the film crew who captured the clear video of the first plane striking the North Tower, and this year I watched a documentary on "The Falling Man", which you can find on YouTube.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:37 am

af773atmsp wrote:
As there are more people who were born after 9/11, I hope we talk to them about it the right way. I want to be clear that I am absolutely not defending the awful people who committed and supported those attacks. However, this wasn't a case of America doing nothing wrong and the attack unprovoked. People don't commit something like this just for the hell of it. America (specifically our government and military) pissed off the wrong people, and we thought we were above having something like 9/11 happen on our soil. It seems we didn't learn from Pearl Harbor and domestic terror that our country can be just as vulnerable as anywhere else.

Indeed, this is what's often missing whenever people discuss about 9/11. The attacks weren't done in isolation. It was driven by American foreign policy and the missteps that past administrations made along the way.

An interesting fact to note is that the attack on America happened on the same date as the 1973 Chilean coup d'etat, which was supported by the Nixon administration and ultimately saw approximately 3000 deaths (the same amount of deaths as 9/11), with another 1000 still missing. Maybe it's a coincidence, or maybe it's karma...