Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

The Attacks on Benghazi

Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:36 am

Sunday marked the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on Benghazi and I am pretty sure this anniversary was overshadowed by the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the attacks on 9/11/01 11 years earlier. So, makes sense why it was not bosted here. There was a lot of bravery on that day at the US Embassy in Benghazi.
viewtopic.php?t=1304149#p18212405

NIKV69

Re: The Attacks on Benghazi

Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:57 am

Those 4 men deserved much better. RIP.

Kiwirob

Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:22 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Sunday marked the 10 year anniversary of the attacks on Benghazi and I am pretty sure this anniversary was overshadowed by the death of Queen Elizabeth II and the attacks on 9/11/01 11 years earlier. So, makes sense why it was not bosted here. There was a lot of bravery on that day at the US Embassy in Benghazi.
viewtopic.php?t=1304149#p18212405

Can I ask why this is worthy of an anniversary? I can think of so many events more worthy of an anniversary than this one.

October's a good month, we will need threads for the following

October 1st Las Vegas Massacre
October 3rd Mogadishu
October 5th R101 crash in France
October 12th IRA Brighton Bombing
October 12th Bali Bombings
October 12th USS Cole
October 16th Luby's Cafeteria Shooting
October 21st Admiral Nelson dies at Trafalgar
October 21st Aberfan Disaster
October 23rd Beirut Marine Barracks Bombing

wingman

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:10 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Those 4 men deserved much better. RIP.

I'm sure I'm deciphering your implication properly. Lock her up right?

The best part is then seeing Rob's list. I wonder who you'd lock up for each of those tragedies.

casinterest

Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:57 pm

Not much to decipher. A surprise attack rising out of a protest. There was bravery that night, but so much of it was swept under by politically malignant forces on the right.

https://www.vox.com/2018/11/20/17996134 ... was-coming
Senate Select Committee on Intelligence’s January 2014 bipartisan review found there was no warning.

A very good writeup by Vox with lots of big questions and answers of that night.

A further timeline with important links from NPR

https://www.npr.org/2012/11/30/16624331 ... he-fallout

4 people died that night

2 initially in the Attache
2 in the Annex 6-8 hours later.

sierrakilo44

Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:30 am

Kiwirob wrote:
Can I ask why this is worthy of an anniversary?

Because this firefight was blown WAY out of the proportion by the GOP in 2012 in an attempt to firstly destroy Obama's 2012 re-election, and when that failed they tried to implicate Hillary Clinton as being responsible to derail her future presidential campaign. This was exposed live on Fox News so brilliantly they had to cut an interview short when a real journalist called them out on their nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUz3pIPmTY

I can think of so many events more worthy of an anniversary than this one.

How about September 11th 1973, when the CIA helped Pinochet overthrow the democratically elected Allende in Chile, which would lead to the murder of at least 3,000 Chileans, and the imprisonment, torture and disappearance of 10s of thousands more.

Kiwirob

Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:00 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Can I ask why this is worthy of an anniversary?

Because this firefight was blown WAY out of the proportion by the GOP in 2012 in an attempt to firstly destroy Obama's 2012 re-election, and when that failed they tried to implicate Hillary Clinton as being responsible to derail her future presidential campaign. This was exposed live on Fox News so brilliantly they had to cut an interview short when a real journalist called them out on their nonsense:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbUz3pIPmTY

I can think of so many events more worthy of an anniversary than this one.

How about September 11th 1973, when the CIA helped Pinochet overthrow the democratically elected Allende in Chile, which would lead to the murder of at least 3,000 Chileans, and the imprisonment, torture and disappearance of 10s of thousands more.

I only pulled some noteworthy events from October. Septembers is half over.

leader1

Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:13 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Ummm…you conveniently left out that Allende was only elected by 36% of the population and that close to 2/3 of the electorate voted against him. According to the Chilean Constitution at that time, if none of the candidates had an absolute majority, it would be up to the Congress to decide among the candidates. He made a deal with the centrist Christian Democrats and they decided to side with him. So, he was more selected.

If he had done a halfway competent job, then maybe a coup wouldn’t have occurred. But he pissed off the Congress, the courts and the military and Congress did ask the military to get rid of him.

And let’s not forget that Allende did get quite a bit of assistance from the KGB. Why leave them out?

atcsundevil

Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:15 pm

This discussion is only going to fuel political battles and be mostly off topic (as it already is). Therefore, the topic is locked.

✈️ atcsundevil