Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A101
Topic Author

A new approach to bush fire hazard reduction in Australia

Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:56 pm

Goats on frontline to help prevent another New South Wales Black Summer of bushfires

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-04/ ... 0bushfires

Hopefully they are de-sexed so they do not multiply if they escape and become a bigger pest in places

Kent350787

Re: A new approach to bush fire hazard reduction in Australia

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:30 am

I wonder how the trials have gone over the last year?

Newark727

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:45 am

California has been doing this for a while. It's kind of surreal to see in action if you're not expecting it. Not too long ago one of the goat providers set up a pen in the parking lot of a local park so parents could bring their kids to pet the goats.

edit: Pun not intended. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

seb146

Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:22 am

When I was younger, there were tales from Australia about sheep stations. At the same time, there were wars (figurative) in the Western United States fought between cattle ranchers and sheep ranchers. Sheep and cattle were (still are) big business here. Grazing land for both and all that.

Apropos of nothing: I am having deja vu. I saw this post happening years ago. It just hit me. You're welcome.

Kent350787

Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:23 am

seb146 wrote:
When I was younger, there were tales from Australia about sheep stations. At the same time, there were wars (figurative) in the Western United States fought between cattle ranchers and sheep ranchers. Sheep and cattle were (still are) big business here. Grazing land for both and all that.

Apropos of nothing: I am having deja vu. I saw this post happening years ago. It just hit me. You're welcome.

There are still issues with cloven hooved animals and soil ecosystems in arid lands in Australia, with a lot of work done around stocking levels.

But this goat trial appears to happening in areas with higher rainfall, where undergrowth poses a significant buhfire risk.

hh65man

Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:15 am

It will be interesting to follow. One thing they should do is allow home owners to clear their property of trees out to a further distance. Below is a excerpt from the Blue Mountains council concerning the pruning, cutting of trees. My neighbor received a hefty fine for cutting down a dead tree which was near falling over. Needless to say the time a bushfire swept through my area you could hear chainsaws every where going hammer and tong. Embers nearly the size of baseballs were being carried aloft and landing everywhere. By allowing people to remove trees further away from home would be a step in the right direction also, along with trying out goats to preventing the spread of fires and would save many a home.

When a permit is required
Trees and vegetation are protected under legislation and planning policies. You will need a permit from Council to:

Remove or prune any mallee Eucalyptus species, irrespective of dimensions , with such a tree having multiple leader stems with a height generally not exceeding (6) six metres , originating from a single trunk at or near ground level.

Remove or prune a tree that is 4 or more metres in height and/or has a crown spread of more than 4 metres.

Remove or prune any mallee formed Eucalyptus species, irrespective of size.

Clear natural vegetation or regenerating indigenous vegetation including shrubs and ground layer vegetation.

Clear vegetation affected by a complying development certificate.

Remove trees or clear vegetation within a heritage conservation area, on heritage listed properties and on land which an Aboriginal object is located or the land is an Aboriginal place of heritage significance.

Kiwirob

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:09 pm

A101 wrote:
Goats on frontline to help prevent another New South Wales Black Summer of bushfires

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-04/ ... 0bushfires

Hopefully they are de-sexed so they do not multiply if they escape and become a bigger pest in places

Or they could just use female goats, keep the billy’s at home.

Kiwirob

Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:12 pm

hh65man wrote:
It will be interesting to follow. One thing they should do is allow home owners to clear their property of trees out to a further distance. Below is a excerpt from the Blue Mountains council concerning the pruning, cutting of trees. My neighbor received a hefty fine for cutting down a dead tree which was near falling over. Needless to say the time a bushfire swept through my area you could hear chainsaws every where going hammer and tong. Embers nearly the size of baseballs were being carried aloft and landing everywhere. By allowing people to remove trees further away from home would be a step in the right direction also, along with trying out goats to preventing the spread of fires and would save many a home.

When a permit is required
Trees and vegetation are protected under legislation and planning policies. You will need a permit from Council to:

Remove or prune any mallee Eucalyptus species, irrespective of dimensions , with such a tree having multiple leader stems with a height generally not exceeding (6) six metres , originating from a single trunk at or near ground level.

Remove or prune a tree that is 4 or more metres in height and/or has a crown spread of more than 4 metres.

Remove or prune any mallee formed Eucalyptus species, irrespective of size.

Clear natural vegetation or regenerating indigenous vegetation including shrubs and ground layer vegetation.

Clear vegetation affected by a complying development certificate.

Remove trees or clear vegetation within a heritage conservation area, on heritage listed properties and on land which an Aboriginal object is located or the land is an Aboriginal place of heritage significance.

Or don’t allow people to build homes in areas with a propensity to catch on fire. This is as daft as building in floodplains.

hh65man

Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:41 pm

@Kiwirob

That would rule out building just about every where in Australia. When the bushfire took out my back fencing it was about 50-60 meters away. There were tall eucalyptus trees within 10-15 meters of the home. I wasn’t allowed to touch them either, made for a interesting night long battle with embers and garden hose.