Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TheZ
Topic Author

Something annoying about trip report videos: The title

Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:25 pm

A few years ago they made videos easy to locate on Youtube and made sense. They had reasonable titles like "Southwest 737-700 MDW-MEM" or something like that. Nowadays it seems all the big names in trip reports have fallen into the exact same format: Clickbait titles in all caps that don't really tell you anything, like "FLYING THE MOST OUTRAGEOUS AIRLINE IN ASIA" or "DISGUSTING BUSINESS CLASS ON [insert airline name here]." I don't really have anything to contribute here, other than, I don't like it.

cpd

Re: Something annoying about trip report videos: The title

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:07 am

But clicketty-clickbait titles and thumbnails get traffic.

Also "my friend straight-piped [insert-car-name-here]" with some supercar-kid making a stupid face and holding his ears in mock-fright...

Another one is "Why I'm selling my [whatever-supercar]" when the car in question has the numberplates from the car-manufacturer press fleet... Doh...

It should be possible to report click-bait stuff.

TheZ
Topic Author

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:10 am

There's no escaping the commoditization I suppose. It's just interesting, watching the same folks for years grow and expand, then slide into the same exact format. Feels less like I'm along for the ride, more like I'm just getting my weekly fix of a good/service. Oh well, time to dig deeper.

Kent350787

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:22 am

TheZ wrote:
There's no escaping the commoditization I suppose. It's just interesting, watching the same folks for years grow and expand, then slide into the same exact format. Feels less like I'm along for the ride, more like I'm just getting my weekly fix of a good/service. Oh well, time to dig deeper.

I've been watchiog more and more vlogs over the last few years and know what you mean. There are people I've stopped following because of the clickbait, but also times when it's the same small cadre on different continents review the exact same flights.

ACDC8

Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:11 am

"Content Creators" :sarcastic:

I don't follow anyone on YouTube, don't subscribe, don't hit the "notification" bell, don't comment. If I see a video that interests me, I watch it and move along.

N965UW

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:11 pm

My personal favorite is when they say something like "MAX POWER TAKEOFF," meanwhile the pax in the back have no idea what the actual takeoff thrust setting is

seb146

Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:04 pm

I follow a couple of content creators, but none in the trip report field. There are a few trip reporters I watch and, yes, their titles have turned to clickbait. I think it is to get clicks. Simply titling a video with the flight number and routing does not seem interesting to some, but putting a title with words like "awful" and "ugh" and "disgusting" and such will get them more clicks.

cpd

Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:59 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
"Content Creators" :sarcastic:

I don't follow anyone on YouTube, don't subscribe, don't hit the "notification" bell, don't comment. If I see a video that interests me, I watch it and move along.

Only very few I watch, and none subscribed. Dr Mark Felton is one and Iain Tyrrell (the guy who restores old cars) is another.

Arion640

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:37 pm

seb146 wrote:
I follow a couple of content creators, but none in the trip report field. There are a few trip reporters I watch and, yes, their titles have turned to clickbait. I think it is to get clicks. Simply titling a video with the flight number and routing does not seem interesting to some, but putting a title with words like "awful" and "ugh" and "disgusting" and such will get them more clicks.

I always like the “The business class XYZ airline doesn’t talk about” titles.

Or “DISGUSTING FLIGHT: MY 123 AIR REVIEW”

seb146

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:41 am

Arion640 wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I always like the “The business class XYZ airline doesn’t talk about” titles.

Or “DISGUSTING FLIGHT: MY 123 AIR REVIEW”

I expect nothing on LCCs. NK F9 WN B6 look all the same to me. We flew NK one time ONE TIME!!! OAK-LAS-OAK and were angry they charged for checked bags. Reading the fine print after, fine. I paid more than our seats because I saw what they did to trick people. I let the agent know I hated how they did it, but fine. Bait and switch but whatever. When they were using masking tape minutes before departure? HECK NO!!! Everyone knew it was a shady airline! NK was one big sales pitch with no "skip video" button. I don't mind a seat from point A to point B oh, and BTW, pay for checking bags and meals and booze and washrooms. I don't mind "I GOTTA BE ON THAT FLIGHT!!!" seats. Stop selling me stuff I don't want. When I say "no" I mean "NO!!!" Shut the....up!!!

I don't even want to know what G4 is like....