Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Is NFL getting more popular in Europe?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:21 pm

With the first of 4 games being played in Europe this season is the NFL getting more popular in Europe? Does the NFL hope to open expansion teams there eventually? I thought that next year (2023-2024) even more games will be played. Those who live in Europe is this a trend of upward popularity or just a novelty?

M564038

Re: Is NFL getting more popular in Europe?

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:25 pm

Never even heard of it! What is NFL?

petertenthije

Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:34 pm

I don’t presume to speak for all of Europe, but in the Netherlands there is hardly anyone interested in the NFL. I personally know only one person that ever indicated an interest, and that was only around the super bowl.

Can’t say I am interested either.

Aesma

Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:22 pm

I'm not sure who the target audience is. Rugby fans ?

cpd

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:14 pm

I suppose there is always a small lot of fans for niche sports that aren’t hugely popular across the entire world.

Even here where everything is dominated by Rugby League and AFL there are some teams playing the American football game.

It might be a novelty to see if they can get more interest elsewhere.

bennett123

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:16 pm

Always confusing because American Football is more like Rugby with body armour.

davidjohnson6

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:17 pm

If World Wrestling Federation managed to appeal to children and teenagers 30 years ago in Europe... then any sport can be boosted given enough marketing spend. The question is then whether the main companies owning clubs can make more profit even with the additional marketing cost. Ultimately it's all about maximising future profit streams for club owners

noviorbis77

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:03 pm

No.

NFL will never reach the heights of football in Europe.

ACDC8

Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:06 pm

NFL in Europe is like that little shelf of "American" products at the grocery store, its a novelty every once in awhile but it never catches on.

Does Europe still have that American Football league? Don't ever recall anyone ever being into that or any of their games being broadcasted on TV. Its kinda like Major League Soccer here, you know it exists but thats about it.

ZKCIF

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:45 pm

In my country (Lithuania), never met anyone at least remotely interested. people do wear jerseys and caps, but that's just because they "happened into" these things. but they have no idea what kind of thing their NFL-branded clothes represent. there might be minor coverage on paid TV (no idea, sincerely, as i don't watch tv at all), I mean that you can (theoretically) probably subscribe to a channel showing NFL. newspapers and internet media post the superbowl results. that's it. no revenue here.
of course, I cannot speak about all Lithuanians

sierrakilo44

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:39 am

petertenthije wrote:
I personally know only one person that ever indicated an interest, and that was only around the super bowl.

When media in my non-American country covers American football it is only for the Super Bowl, and the coverage concentrates on the TV adverts, the musicians in the half time show and then a quick ‘this team won the game’ at the end, but nobody knows who that team is or who plays for them.

Nobody outside of the US is aware of who Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are, but lots more in every country (including the US) know who Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar are. Walking around the streets you see people wearing Man U, Barcelona or other football team jerseys, but I’ve never seen any Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers or any NFL team supporter gear outside the US. It just isn’t that popular.

Whenever I watch the Super Bowl it always reminds me of how boring the ‘sport’ actually is and why it’ll never catch on outside the US. 3 hour TV broadcast made up of only about 10 minutes of game play, and each play only lasts a few seconds. Need to stop the game to give time for those commercials eh?

John Cleese said it best:

https://youtu.be/Tqge3m_QuHY

Aesma

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:43 am

The clothing thing is because most clothes are made in Asia. We also get them here in France (along with US high school, US college themed clothes), it's quite annoying, and I'm pretty sure it's copyright infringement.

MLS in the US has a chance to grow because of latinos immigrating to the US, and the world cup. Unless US citizens start emigrating in Europe, the reverse won't work.

IADCA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:53 am

Aesma wrote:
The clothing thing is because most clothes are made in Asia. We also get them here in France (along with US high school, US college themed clothes), it's quite annoying, and I'm pretty sure it's copyright infringement.

MLS in the US has a chance to grow because of latinos immigrating to the US, and the world cup. Unless US citizens start emigrating in Europe, the reverse won't work.

MLS has a chance to grow primarily because white kids in the suburbs like soccer. The Latino fanbase was a much more significant driver in the league's early years. But the most successful teams in terms of attendance (e.g., Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Charlotte, Nashville) these days tend to be areas with proportionately few Latinos but fast-growing and wealthy, predominantly white suburbs. Compare that to the bottom three in attendance: San Jose, Colorado, and Miami, all of which have very large Latino populations.

sierrakilo44

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:56 am

There’s also the ease of how the game can fit into everyday youth culture and life.

Football is east, just get a ball, a few friends and some open space and you can have a game in the streets. It’s why some of the best football players have come from poor backgrounds in poor countries.

For NFL you need to get two teams all staffed with offensive and defensive players, tight ends, running backs, punters etc. A dozen coaches per side, a specific field with yard markings, instant replay to check for fouls. Pretty hard for an organic NFL game to just be played on the streets.

LabQuest

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
There’s also the ease of how the game can fit into everyday youth culture and life.

Football is east, just get a ball, a few friends and some open space and you can have a game in the streets. It’s why some of the best football players have come from poor backgrounds in poor countries.

For NFL you need to get two teams all staffed with offensive and defensive players, tight ends, running backs, punters etc. A dozen coaches per side, a specific field with yard markings, instant replay to check for fouls. Pretty hard for an organic NFL game to just be played on the streets.

There are backyard and school yard football games every day all over the place. Its pretty hard to play a Premier League game on the streets, too.

scottyraven

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:12 am

IADCA wrote:
Aesma wrote:

MLS has a chance to grow primarily because white kids in the suburbs like soccer. The Latino fanbase was a much more significant driver in the league's early years. But the most successful teams in terms of attendance (e.g., Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Charlotte, Nashville) these days tend to be areas with proportionately few Latinos but fast-growing and wealthy, predominantly white suburbs. Compare that to the bottom three in attendance: San Jose, Colorado, and Miami, all of which have very large Latino populations.

I think it's lazy to assume because SJC, MIA and DEN have large Latino communites that they will love MLS....i would counter that those communities ignore MLS is because they know what high level soccer looks like and MLS is a very minor league and a last stop for washed up former stars to grab a last paycheck. I agree that white suburban kids are the lifeblood of the league because its kind of a fad right now and they are not curious enough to look for high level soccer.

FGITD

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:38 am

LabQuest wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

There are backyard and school yard football games every day all over the place. Its pretty hard to play a Premier League game on the streets, too.

Have to agree…what is that comparison? It’s like saying you can’t play football without a stadium that seats 60,000, FIFA licensed officials, a VAR system, and each team needs coaches, physios, etc. Don’t forget about the pundits, the cameras, and of course each side needs a training ground.

You can play pickup American football with 3 people and a ball.

sierrakilo44

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:59 am

LabQuest wrote:

If it's so easy then why hasn't NFL-American football spread outside of the US?

American culture has spread all around the world but not the most popular sport. Basketball has done a better job of spreading outside the US, and it's far easier to play on the streets, just need to fix a hoop somewhere.

If not the ease of play for youth then what is the reason that NFL hasn't spread outside the US?

seb146

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:12 am

It may be a marketing thing from the NFL. The NFL markets games in Europe to Americans to say "look how popular we are in Europe!!" and Americans agree, for some reason?

Canadian Football tried expanding outside Canada and failed. USFL is on it's third incarnation and has failed twice. So far. XFL is on it's second go around. Arena Football is still barely holding on.

IMO, it is marketing and nothing more.

leader1

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:16 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

American culture has spread all around the world but not the most popular sport. Basketball has done a better job of spreading outside the US, and it's far easier to play on the streets, just need to fix a hoop somewhere.

If not the ease of play for youth then what is the reason that NFL hasn't spread outside the US?

CFL - Canadian Football League is extremely popular in Canada. Same sport, but slightly different rules. So, yes, the sport did catch on outside the US.

csturdiv

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:24 am

cpd wrote:
I suppose there is always a small lot of fans for niche sports that aren’t hugely popular across the entire world.

Even here where everything is dominated by Rugby League and AFL there are some teams playing the American football game.

I never felt more confused until when I tried to explain football, or as the locals call it, gridiron, to my Aussie co-workers several years back while the Super Bowl was on while we had a team lunch at a local hotel. Maybe I can mark it down to we are a software company and sports are really not a developers thing, but who knows.

Before the Rona, maybe in 2017 or 2018, I did go to a college game, Rice and Stanford, at the Sydney football stadium in Moore Park and there was a good turn out. And seeing the American flag fly during the Anthem brought a tear to this expats eyes.

leader1

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:29 am

seb146 wrote:
It may be a marketing thing from the NFL. The NFL markets games in Europe to Americans to say "look how popular we are in Europe!!" and Americans agree, for some reason?

Canadian Football tried expanding outside Canada and failed. USFL is on it's third incarnation and has failed twice. So far. XFL is on it's second go around. Arena Football is still barely holding on.

CFL chose some really bad markets to expand in. Shreveport? Like, seriously? They had a successful franchise in Baltimore, but when Art Modell moved the Browns to Baltimore, there was no way the CFL team could compete with that.

Dutchy

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:05 am

Haven't heard anything of the NFL in the news in Europe. Don't know anyone who has a remote interest in it. But then again, N=1, so I don't know.

Kent350787

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:11 am

csturdiv wrote:
cpd wrote:

I never felt more confused until when I tried to explain football, or as the locals call it, gridiron, to my Aussie co-workers several years back while the Super Bowl was on while we had a team lunch at a local hotel. Maybe I can mark it down to we are a software company and sports are really not a developers thing, but who knows.

Before the Rona, maybe in 2017 or 2018, I did go to a college game, Rice and Stanford, at the Sydney football stadium in Moore Park and there was a good turn out. And seeing the American flag fly during the Anthem brought a tear to this expats eyes.

I assume the crowd was mostly expats with a few locals there purely out of interest? Australia has four football codes - AFL (Aussie Rules), soccer (football), NRL (rugby league) and rugby in terms of popular following. Then a bunch of interest sports, then gridiron.

That said, I have occasionally been flicking onto ESPN for a coupole of minutes of NFL and college games in the last months and then switching away thoroughly confused....

bennett123

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
petertenthije wrote:
I personally know only one person that ever indicated an interest, and that was only around the super bowl.

When media in my non-American country covers American football it is only for the Super Bowl, and the coverage concentrates on the TV adverts, the musicians in the half time show and then a quick ‘this team won the game’ at the end, but nobody knows who that team is or who plays for them.

Nobody outside of the US is aware of who Tom Brady or Peyton Manning are, but lots more in every country (including the US) know who Messi, Ronaldo or Neymar are. Walking around the streets you see people wearing Man U, Barcelona or other football team jerseys, but I’ve never seen any Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers or any NFL team supporter gear outside the US. It just isn’t that popular.

Whenever I watch the Super Bowl it always reminds me of how boring the ‘sport’ actually is and why it’ll never catch on outside the US. 3 hour TV broadcast made up of only about 10 minutes of game play, and each play only lasts a few seconds. Need to stop the game to give time for those commercials eh?

John Cleese said it best:

https://youtu.be/Tqge3m_QuHY

Does explain why it seems a bit disjointed.

Quick burst of action followed by a lot of pondering, then another burst of action.

JJJ

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:15 am

ACDC8 wrote:
NFL in Europe is like that little shelf of "American" products at the grocery store, its a novelty every once in awhile but it never catches on.

Does Europe still have that American Football league? Don't ever recall anyone ever being into that or any of their games being broadcasted on TV. Its kinda like Major League Soccer here, you know it exists but thats about it.

Pretty much.

As a former rugby player I had a few colleagues try the stuff (go Firebats!) and even went to a few training sessions and games.

There's even a national league with something like 6 teams but the EFL closed down in 2018 because of lack of interest and the new ELF is pretty German-heavy so I guess that's where most of the niche following is.

The only American sport widely played in Europe is basketball, and the NBA has a decent following and coverage. I guess the NHL gets good coverage in hockey nations but that's it. Baseball and American Football are the nichest of the niche, I presume in the same way handball or field hockey are followed in the US.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:44 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Basketball has done a better job of spreading outside the US, and it's far easier to play on the streets, just need to fix a hoop somewhere.

Just for the record, basketball was actually invented by a Canadian, so we'll take credit for that, thank you very much :biggrin:

leader1 wrote:
CFL - Canadian Football League is extremely popular in Canada. Same sport, but slightly different rules. So, yes, the sport did catch on outside the US

Yeah, but thats Canada - thats like comparing the popularity of meat pies in England and Ireland.

flipdewaf

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:54 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Because its a closed shop, not enough big teams and the protection to not be really relegated (or indeed promoted). Player selection via the draft system rather then the open shop of global sports. In real football a team in the third division can realistically expect to be in the top league in a few years given the right performance just as a team in the top league can expect to be in the third division in a few years if they perform badly. For these reasons it feels like a managed year to year stage show compared rather than a team sport where a performance over many years can be brought to bear fruit. Too artificial.

Fred

ACDC8

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:28 am

The other thing why it probably isn't popular in Europe is that its a dumb game, it makes no sense.

For starters, the name "Football", that would imply you play with your feet but you don't, with the exception of the odd kick here and there, the ball (which isn't even an actual ball) is thrown and carried in your hands.

Then the whole scoring of it all. Someone gets a touchdown, great they get a point, nope, they get 6 or 7 points - they kick the ball and score another point, nope, 2 points for that - I mean seriously, why?

Then they play for 45 seconds, the clock stops and they stand around patting each others asses for 3 minutes.

Maybe if they went to the metric system instead of using yards (no one knows what the hell a yard is), it might have a chance.

At least soccer makes sense - kick the ball, no hands - kick the ball into the net, you get 1 point. The clock keeps ticking, you only have 90 minutes to get as many goals as you can. And thats what I don't get about North America, every one plays soccer, everyone understands it - drive by any sports field and they're either playing soccer or baseball/softball, but rarely football, yet for some reason, soccer just doesn't catch on here at the professional level. Even at the professional level, the difference between soccer and football is big, for the price of one or two BC Lion's games, I could get a seasons pass for the Whitecaps - strange.

LabQuest

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:46 am

Man, there are a lot of triggered Europeans here lol

Who knew a sport they don't watch makes them feel so passionate.

IADCA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:14 pm

scottyraven wrote:
IADCA wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I think it's lazy to assume because SJC, MIA and DEN have large Latino communites that they will love MLS....i would counter that those communities ignore MLS is because they know what high level soccer looks like and MLS is a very minor league and a last stop for washed up former stars to grab a last paycheck. I agree that white suburban kids are the lifeblood of the league because its kind of a fad right now and they are not curious enough to look for high level soccer.

Exactly, that's pretty much the point, better said than my version.

TWA772LR

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:41 pm

There's always the rumor that the Jaguars will move to London since they are the team that plays there the most. In fact I saw them in London in 2019, my Texans won!

The logistics of such a move would be killer, 9+ hour flights every other week for 1 team. Oh well, it's not like the jags ever have a real chance at the Super Bowl anyway...

The British really seemed to enjoy the experience though. When I was there, I saw every single team jersey worn at the NFL Experience venue before the game. The novelty of American football in London was greater than that of rugby in the US when I saw the Italian national team kill the US team in Houston in 2012, lots of empty seats in the stadium than compared to Wimbley.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:55 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
The other thing why it probably isn't popular in Europe is that its a dumb game, it makes no sense.

For starters, the name "Football", that would imply you play with your feet but you don't, with the exception of the odd kick here and there, the ball (which isn't even an actual ball) is thrown and carried in your hands.

Then the whole scoring of it all. Someone gets a touchdown, great they get a point, nope, they get 6 or 7 points - they kick the ball and score another point, nope, 2 points for that - I mean seriously, why?

Then they play for 45 seconds, the clock stops and they stand around patting each others asses for 3 minutes.

Maybe if they went to the metric system instead of using yards (no one knows what the hell a yard is), it might have a chance.

At least soccer makes sense - kick the ball, no hands - kick the ball into the net, you get 1 point. The clock keeps ticking, you only have 90 minutes to get as many goals as you can. And thats what I don't get about North America, every one plays soccer, everyone understands it - drive by any sports field and they're either playing soccer or baseball/softball, but rarely football, yet for some reason, soccer just doesn't catch on here at the professional level. Even at the professional level, the difference between soccer and football is big, for the price of one or two BC Lion's games, I could get a seasons pass for the Whitecaps - strange.

Love your description, thanks for the laugh. It can be exciting at times though.

zhiao

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:59 pm

LabQuest wrote:

Give them a break, it's been an emotional and humbling year.

wingman

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:49 pm

It's not just Europeans. Count me in as another Yank that marvels at the concept of a 3.5 hour event that contains no more than 41 minutes of actual physical action on the field. It's a sport designed to induce ADD and pummel you with 2 hours and 49 minutes of hamburger and insurance advertising plus 68 stoppages of time. That's Hand-Egg for ya.

Now actual football costs me 2 hours per game with 15 minute halves and about 10 minutes of stoppage time for scuba diving practice. But the players actually run between 2 and 6 miles per game so I don't begrudge them a wee bit of bullshit to catch a breather.

No contest in my book. Football 1 : Hand Egg 0.

seb146

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:13 pm

zhiao wrote:
LabQuest wrote:

Give them a break, it's been an emotional and humbling year.

As an American, I find American football boring. I understand it because I grew up having the sport drilled into my soul. And I still find it boring. As a hockey fan, I understand the fan base. When we went to Regina several years ago, the Riders were playing and everyone was dressed in green and white, one of the buildings downtown had a huge Riders logo, Tim's even had Riders colored doughnuts! We were actually there to visit Dog River, but it was really fun to see everyone excited about their team.

Because it is part of our culture, I have Bucs gear from as far back as the Vinnie Testeverde days. The only other thing about American football I care about is Super Bowl Halftime.

VolvoBus

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:45 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
There's always the rumor that the Jaguars will move to London since they are the team that plays there the most. In fact I saw them in London in 2019, my Texans won!

The logistics of such a move would be killer, 9+ hour flights every other week for 1 team. Oh well, it's not like the jags ever have a real chance at the Super Bowl anyway...

The British really seemed to enjoy the experience though. When I was there, I saw every single team jersey worn at the NFL Experience venue before the game. The novelty of American football in London was greater than that of rugby in the US when I saw the Italian national team kill the US team in Houston in 2012, lots of empty seats in the stadium than compared to Wimbley.

The killer logistics is less flight time than time zones. 5 hour changes for a home/intra-division road game will cut into practice time ,probably more heavily than the team would like. Interestingly, in Rugby,, the South African provinces have pulled out of Super Rugby, leaving it to Australia and New Zealand, together with two of the Pacific Islands. Three SA super-provinces have joined United Rugby, with the Welsh,Irish ,Scottish and Italian professional teams, despite it being played in the Southern hemisphere off-season. Finance might well have played a part, along with doing away with jet-lag.

B777LRF

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:50 pm

Not getting more popular here, no. One of the cable channels used to broadcast a match every week, and also had two guys in a studio doing the usual talky stuff. Lasted a couple of years, but was axed due to low viewing numbers. They do broadcast the super bowl, but that’s it. I know a few people who used to attend super bowl parties, but they’ve gotten too old for that now - it’s aired at absolute dreadful hours when you’re past 40.

There is a sort-of national league here, but it’s completely on amateur level and most of the players are expats. Saw a match a few years ago, apparently the two best teams meeting up. I estimate we were 40 spectators in total, maybe 50. Wasn’t bad, and there were some nice plays and bone crunching tackles. But it’s never going to be a sport I’d follow, even irregularly.

NIKV69

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:11 pm

I am not getting it. The UK is never going to watch American Football. I wonder where the money is coming from to fly teams all the way there and disrupt their week and sleep for one game.

ACDC8

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:23 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Love your description, thanks for the laugh. It can be exciting at times though.

LOL, at least someone got the humour :biggrin:

Not to go off topic, but if you haven't seen Robin Williams take on golf, you should go watch that :rotfl:

Pi7472000

Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 pm

Yeah I don't know how popular it is in Europe. Looks like football in Europe is becoming less popular in Europe though. As an American I do not watch the NFL. It is gross tax payers have to fund stadiums for when we have people making multimillion dollar contracts. We need to stand against income inequality!!

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/03/football ... index.html

cpd

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
cpd wrote:

I assume the crowd was mostly expats with a few locals there purely out of interest? Australia has four football codes - AFL (Aussie Rules), soccer (football), NRL (rugby league) and rugby in terms of popular following. Then a bunch of interest sports, then gridiron.

That said, I have occasionally been flicking onto ESPN for a coupole of minutes of NFL and college games in the last months and then switching away thoroughly confused....

I certainly know there are local teams playing the the American form of football. One team was training beside where my old cycling club has its velodrome. I was chatting to them because I was early for training. Interesting game, looks strange with them wearing helmets - here we don't do all that stuff, just every bashes the heck out of everyone else.

csturdiv

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
csturdiv wrote:
cpd wrote:

Nah, it was all Aussies and me, the lone Yank (as they call me). I know how they feel, I was confused when I went to the MCG and watched an AFL game.

csturdiv

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:05 pm

cpd wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
csturdiv wrote:

I certainly know there are local teams playing the the American form of football. One team was training beside where my old cycling club has its velodrome. I was chatting to them because I was early for training. Interesting game, looks strange with them wearing helmets - here we don't do all that stuff, just every bashes the heck out of everyone else.

My brother played football all the way through college. After graduation and earning a bit of travel money, he and a friend lived the backpacker life here for a while. When the Aussies he met learned he played football, they made fun of him and the sport because of the padding.

Kiwirob

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:08 pm

Aesma wrote:
I'm not sure who the target audience is. Rugby fans ?

Not rugby fans, we generally have a bit of a laugh at the NFL.

I’ve never seen any mention of NFL in Norway in 16 years living here.

Arion640

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:10 pm

We don’t need anymore american exports, thank you.

FLYFIRSTCLASS
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:17 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
I am not getting it. The UK is never going to watch American Football. I wonder where the money is coming from to fly teams all the way there and disrupt their week and sleep for one game.

Where is the money coming from? Tickets to games here can cost several hundred to several thousands of dollars. Then don't even think of getting a beer for less than $15.

TriJets

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:17 am

No wonder basketball is popular in Europe...just like soccer, it is another sport that involves grown men flailing themselves onto the ground and fake convulsing when they feel someone brush against their finger.

(American) football is a real man's sport.

par13del

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:26 am

seb146 wrote:

I agree with this sentiment, based on what we hear, the only people within the NFL who seems to like the trips are the players to go sight seeing, the majority of the owners do not as they are loosing money at the gate for games played elsewhere. The owners are behind it yes, they are most likely getting compensation from gate, tv etc. but the idea of a team being based outside of the USA other than Canada and Mexico within driving range gets little to no support. So PR, novelty and a bit of home cooking for the US personnel stationed in Europe, whether military or otherwise.

N14AZ

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:47 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
With the first of 4 games being played in Europe this season is the NFL getting more popular in Europe? Does the NFL hope to open expansion teams there eventually? I thought that next year (2023-2024) even more games will be played. Those who live in Europe is this a trend of upward popularity or just a novelty?

You received a lot of negative feedback. Seems as if I am the only exception. I watch NFL since the 1980‘s (on AFN without sound). In the 90ies we had the NFL Europe with clubs in London, Edinburg, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt and Barcelona. I went to as many games in Frankfurt as could. I suffered like a dog when my team lost a game.

I will definitely try to see one of these NFL games in Europe.