Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bluecrew

Re: DeSantis or Trump for Republicans

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:45 am

Newark727 wrote:
bluecrew wrote:
I was referencing Jeb Bush.

My, political memories must have gotten quite short.

I understood that, I just thought you might have been calling DeSantis reasonable by implication, which on a second read of your post probably isn't exactly what you meant. Sorry about that.

And it's less that my memory is short, than the 2016 primaries feel like 10,000 years ago already...

Oh no. Not me. Nothing DeSantis has ever done has been reasonable.

My buddy lives down in FLL and says "he was very reasonable before COVID," we've had countless fights on that point. All good-natured, he hates the guy too.

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:18 am

If the GOP is to redeem themselves in anyway it would be in DeSantis, since theres not anyone remaining with a level head (maybe that's Mitt Romney?). Democrat vs. DeSantis vs. Trump will be 2024. If the Republicans manage to find a non-Trump candidate, that's what the election will be, then the vote will be split and the Democratic candidate will win. If they roll with Trump, God help us all.

Aaron747

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:32 am

Given the way NYP, other outlets, and ex Trump staffers are all denigrating him now, there are many grumpy days ahead for Trump. He is ‘a fierce counterpuncher’, as his sons like to endlessly exalt. There’s a long year of scorched earth campaign ahead of us if he’s serious about staying in, especially if he feels this is his best play at staving off prosecution. The one thing Trump definitely cannot stomach is the prospect of being paraded around on TV as a to-be convict, a true loser.

seb146

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:30 am

luckyone wrote:
seb146 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
To be honest, I understand the problem, and don't know that they can, publicly. They can lend all their support to somebody else, and hope that Trump is indicted and convicted.

Even if he is, he would still have support. Probably not from RNC but from some voters across the country and from some media outlets.

I had also heard that he can not be indicted and tried while he is running for president, but I think that is just for federal crimes. I could be wrong on that, but I am pretty sure that is the case.

https://www.politifact.com/article/2022 ... ump-legal/

"Long-standing Justice Department policies prevent sitting presidents from being federally prosecuted, but once they have left office, that restriction no longer holds. The Constitution explicitly says in Article I, Section 3, Clause 7 that former presidents can be indicted for actions undertaken during their presidency.

And the same is true for presidential candidates who are not already serving as president, said Ric Simmons, an Ohio State University law professor. "There are no policy rules or guidelines that prohibit a prosecutor from indicting a presidential candidate," Simmons said."

Thank you. I thought I had heard something different. Thank you for the clarification.

Also, there are state level investigations against him, so there is that also.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... onald-eric
https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump ... 6ffc7f51ca

Those are separate from federal investigations.

Reinhardt

Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:41 am

Do you feel the Dems need someone other than Biden to win next time round? He'll be what 81? He's making noises about running again, but is he really just too old nowm I think so despite the fact I think he's done a massive amount of good. Lets say it is DeSantis who do the Dems need to beat him?

art

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:01 am

Reinhardt wrote:
Do you feel the Dems need someone other than Biden to win next time round? He'll be what 81? He's making noises about running again, but is he really just too old nowm I think so despite the fact I think he's done a massive amount of good. Lets say it is DeSantis who do the Dems need to beat him?

Outsider writing here... Don't the Dems have any able, persuasive, good communicators? I imagine that would be enough to gain the support of a lot of undecided voters and to beat Republican opponents with bizarre beliefs. I would say that Trump is a pathological liar with bizarre beliefs. How does DeSantis compare in those two respects?

bluecrew

Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:03 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Given the way NYP, other outlets, and ex Trump staffers are all denigrating him now, there are many grumpy days ahead for Trump. He is ‘a fierce counterpuncher’, as his sons like to endlessly exalt. There’s a long year of scorched earth campaign ahead of us if he’s serious about staying in, especially if he feels this is his best play at staving off prosecution. The one thing Trump definitely cannot stomach is the prospect of being paraded around on TV as a to-be convict, a true loser.

He's not going away. It's going to be lies until he dies, it's going to be all about the steal, saving America, building the wall, adrenochrome, etc.
The issue is... how do you purge the party? For a decade you'll have MAGA challengers winning primaries, candidates flocking to Trump to gain favor, etc.

It's not easy to spin down... in Congress now we still have MTG and Bo(o)ebert, the insanity is gonna contiue. It's going to be an interesting two years, I don't think the RNC can ban him, and he will carry 80% of anything rural in a primary.

Are you all afraid again? The monster didn't go away.

jetwet1

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:06 am

art wrote:
Reinhardt wrote:

Outsider writing here... Don't the Dems have any able, persuasive, good communicators? I imagine that would be enough to gain the support of a lot of undecided voters and to beat Republican opponents with bizarre beliefs. I would say that Trump is a pathological liar with bizarre beliefs. How does DeSantis compare in those two respects?

The Dems do, Mayor Pete, but the sad fact is, despite IMHO being the best candidate, being an openly gay male makes him unelectable, it would get the Repubs back together to fight him.

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:07 am

Reinhardt wrote:

Biden still seems like the strongest Democrat contender if DeSantis or Trump get the Republican nominee, IMO. Both of them run their mouths for no reason and love to get in front of amy and all cameras because they realize and embrace the notion that all publicity is good publicity.

US politics has come down to just being an expensive and annoying shouting match. Trump still has time to rebuild his base, and we still have primaries to go through, and a president & congressional election. The possible democratic candidates are frankly too goody goody to compete against DeSantis/Trump. Biden is the way to go for dems on 2024, he has Obama star power, actually is doing well with Ukraine and staving off economic collapse, and has the media vibe especially among young people (Dark Brandon), and isn't afraid to throw low handed quips towards competitors.

The winner of the 2024 election will come down to a an old scalawag vs a total idiot.

petertenthije

Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:36 am

Reinhardt wrote:
Do you feel the Dems need someone other than Biden to win next time round?
My guess is he will step down, but he won't announce it till much later. Two reasons:

1) To keep the party united rather then splitting them up behind their favoured presidential candidate
2) To give right wing media less time for their usual character assasination pieces of democrat contenders.

It's still 2 years till the next election. Plenty of time.

art

Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:32 pm

I see that there was/is a rally in Arizona in protest at Kari Lake losing the election there.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 26882.html

If Trump or DeSantis are selected as Republican presidential candidate and lose the election, which is more likely to deny that he lost?

PS It does not strike me that protesting that you won each time you lose is a viable long term political strategy for the Republican party. How many challenged election results have been thrown out so far? Zero, isn't it?

casinterest

Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:51 pm

phluser wrote:
casinterest wrote:
johns624 wrote:
I agree, I just don't know who that would be.

Trump made Desantis, and that is a point that will be hammered home from here until 2024. The GOP just doesn't see a way out. They think the only way to make themselves successful is to elect officials that will work brutally to deny others the rights that they have.

I expect some ugly fighting from here through the primaries between these two. The GOP can't seem to get away from wanna be fascists.

The GOP, or Establishment of the GOP, best bet is to encourage Glenn Youngkin to run. He wouldn't be directly in Trump's crossfires given that he was never endorsed by Trump, nor worked with Trump. He became governor of a blue state last year on a DeSantis lite platform, but can appeal to the voter that likes DeSantis. He appears less of an extreme version of DeSantis to appeal to moderates and those in the center. He has criticized Putin and even apologized for remarks about Pelosi. That is atypical for the Right but would appeal to the Establishment that is center Right.

I'm also guessing that Biden willl not run again. He ran to defeat Trump, and win in more purple states, but the Democrats have new surrogates and strength to hold down PA, GA, AZ and MI now without Biden. Then, Kamala Harris gets Biden's endorsement. I'm still not sure if DeSantis even runs and believe it's likely to be Trump vs. Harris, more likely than DeSantis vs. Newsom.

The problem with Youngkin is exactly what you posted. He is GOP light. He also got elected in an off year election in a state that is usually reliably blue. However if he could pull Va back red he would be a tantalizing candidate for the GOP/ He has had high popularity ratings in VA, but the state still has a love affair with Trump.

https://www.wric.com/news/politics/gov- ... p-in-2024/

It will be interesting to see how everything shakes up in 2023. I don't expect Trump to go down without a fight, and I have to wonder how raucus his supporters in the House will be as they launch their revenge witch trial comittees against Biden.

As for Biden, I think he may actually be in great position for 2024. The economy may be back to full steam with lower inflation by then, and it will be interesting to see how someone like Youngkin and Desantis can run against a stronger economy. If he resigns, it is only because he feels his age is hitting him. But don't beleive all the lies that right wing radio keeps pushing( they are the same folks that were in love with Trump until their bosses said to stop it).

Aaron747 wrote:

The national review has a history of being against Trump until they are for him. The next year will be interesting as the GOP tries to sort out who and what their candidate will be for 2024.

Trump will not go away, and it remains to be seen if his new media empire can get off the ground at Truth Social. Could the current scarlet lettering of Trump lead ot the rise of Truth Social from the ashes?

Dano1977

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Best case scenario, GOP picks De Santis as their presidential candidate, Trump still runs as an independent and splits the Republican voters, so neither he or De Santis then have enough voters to get either of them in to the White House!!

art

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:33 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
Best case scenario, GOP picks De Santis as their presidential candidate, Trump still runs as an independent and splits the Republican voters, so neither he or De Santis then have enough voters to get either of them in to the White House!!

With no hope of winning, why would Trump run as an independent - just spite the GOP for not selecting him but DeSantis in his stead? Perhaps he would have it in his rather swollen head that he could win?

scbriml

Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:57 pm

art wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

With no hope of winning, why would Trump run as an independent - just spite the GOP for not selecting him but DeSantis in his stead? Perhaps he would have it in his rather swollen head that he could win?

1 - spite
2 - over-inflated ego
3 - spoiled toddler syndrome (If I can't have it, then nobody's going to have it!)
4 - his inner circle too scared to tell him the truth (not that he'd accept it, anyway)

Plus, of course, even if he does lose, he can continue his "stolen election" grift and beg for money to fight this terrible injustice.

luckyone

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:02 pm

scbriml wrote:
art wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

1 - spite
2 - over-inflated ego
3 - spoiled toddler syndrome (If I can't have it, then nobody's going to have it!)
4 - his inner circle too scared to tell him the truth (not that he'd accept it, anyway)

Plus, of course, even if he does lose, he can continue his "stolen election" grift and beg for money to fight this terrible injustice.

Trump is unlikely to take himself out. Should anything stand between a nomination or a win, expect more of the same broken record about being a victim. It's pretty clear how he will handle anything that doesn't make him look like a winner.

seb146

Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:07 pm

art wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

He still has not conceded his 2020 loss, so there is that. He could siphon off voters from DeSantis because "I am the legitimate nominee" or some BS he believes and his followers will believe.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:01 pm

Dano1977 wrote:

That could cause a NO ONE gets to 270 electoral votes. Then the house would vote and almost guarantee either Trump or Desantis wold winn

luckyone

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:04 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

That could cause a NO ONE gets to 270 electoral votes. Then the house would vote and almost guarantee either Trump or Desantis wold winn

No. It would be a landslide for the Democrats because then their candidate would get a plurality of the vote in multiple additional states. If the GOP wants to win this election, then they need to very quickly put to rest this fantasy of having the House decide an election as being a primary strategy. Didn't work very well last time either...
Last edited by luckyone on Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

art

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:07 pm

seb146 wrote:
art wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

He still has not conceded his 2020 loss, so there is that. He could siphon off voters from DeSantis because "I am the legitimate nominee" or some BS he believes and his followers will believe.

If Trump believes he was robbed of a win according to the rules in the 2020 presidential election, will he believe he was robbed of being selected as the Republican candidate if he is not selected? He appears to lack the capacity to recognise reality if it does not accord with his wished reality.

luckyone

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:09 pm

art wrote:
seb146 wrote:
art wrote:

If Trump believes he was robbed of a win according to the rules in the 2020 presidential election, will he believe he was robbed of being selected as the Republican candidate if he is not selected? He appears to lack the capacity to recognise reality if it does not accord with his wished reality.

He sang that song in the 2016 primaries. As it happened, he won that primary so we didn't get to see what would happen there. It would be sad but somewhat hilarious if his mindless minions stormed the Republican National Convention.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:12 pm

luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
Dano1977 wrote:

No. It would be a landslide for the Democrats because then their candidate would get a plurality of the vote. If the GOP wants to win this election, then they need to very quickly put to rest this fantasy of having the House decide an election as being a primary strategy. Didn't work very well last time either...

2024 is still some time away. THE primary driver of elections is the economy. Right now the long term outlook is poor. Home prices are plummeting which may be irrelevant because at 7-9% APR no one will buy. The car market is teetering on imploding (a Carvana collapse would almost guarantee it). Tech company layoffs have started and will continue.

Long story if the economy continues on this trajectory we are in big trouble and that will decide the election. Republicans will run on the platform of fixing the economy and point to the mess we are in.

luckyone

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:18 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

No. It would be a landslide for the Democrats because then their candidate would get a plurality of the vote. If the GOP wants to win this election, then they need to very quickly put to rest this fantasy of having the House decide an election as being a primary strategy. Didn't work very well last time either...

2024 is still some time away. THE primary driver of elections is the economy. Right now the long term outlook is poor. Home prices are plummeting which may be irrelevant because at 7-9% APR no one will buy. The car market is teetering on imploding (a Carvana collapse would almost guarantee it). Tech company layoffs have started and will continue.

Long story if the economy continues on this trajectory we are in big trouble and that will decide the election. Republicans will run on the platform of fixing the economy and point to the mess we are in.

I'm not going to debunk that one by one but in general your post is full of dramatic speculation that isn't backed up by reality. Histrionics aside, none of that would change the fact that a split Trump/GOP third party candidacy would result in a landslide Democratic victory...

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:37 pm

luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:

I'm not going to debunk that one by one but in general your post is full of dramatic speculation that isn't backed up by reality. Histrionics aside, none of that would change the fact that a split Trump/GOP third party candidacy would result in a landslide Democratic victory...

If the Republicans split, it may help the Democrats on the popular vote, but the popular vote does not decide the election, the electoral college does. A split GOP would almost guarantee no one will reach 270. There is nothing speculative about 7-9% mortgage rates, they are at 7% now and with the fed poised to continue to raise they will only go up. Look at websites like realator.com and look at how much home prices are dropping and how long they are on the market. The home next door to me sat for over 6 months and the owners had to drop the price from $1,795,000.00 to $1,100,000.00 and they had to wait for a cash buyer. Inflation is out of control, a gallon for milk is now close to $7 a gallon. All these factors are contributing to our economy imploding. Americans will demand a change because thats all they will have in their banks.

luckyone

Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:46 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

If the Republicans split, it may help the Democrats on the popular vote, but the popular vote does not decide the election, the electoral college does. A split GOP would almost guarantee no one will reach 270. There is nothing speculative about 7-9% mortgage rates, they are at 7% now and with the fed poised to continue to raise they will only go up. Look at websites like realator.com and look at how much home prices are dropping and how long they are on the market. The home next door to me sat for over 6 months and the owners had to drop the price from $1,795,000.00 to $1,100,000.00 and they had to wait for a cash buyer. Inflation is out of control, a gallon for milk is now close to $7 a gallon. All these factors are contributing to our economy imploding. Americans will demand a change because thats all they will have in their banks.

Sigh, ok, you get one more response.
The only thing not speculative about what you wrote up there is mortgage rates, which today is averaging at 6.4%. https://www.nerdwallet.com/mortgages/mortgage-rates

Milk is $4.41, and I paid about $3.00...yesterday. I don't know what gilded market you patronize. https://www.ams.usda.gov/sites/default/ ... Prices.pdf

A split vote at the state level means that that state would go to the party with plurality, which would more likely be the Democratic party in more states than they would have otherwise. I'm not really going to argue math. If you'd like a real-world example, see Perot, Ross 1992.

Fare thee well.

bluecrew

Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Please don't take this as a hit, I'd actually love to know how you feel about this, but at what point in reading this did the importance of the value of your neighbor's home leap off the page to you? Did it?

Their house is almost certainly way overvalued. This housing market has been fueled by years of too-low interest rates, creating a gradual price crisis as peoples' borrowing power outstrips their real economic power. 2008 got mired in financial instruments but at its core, it started with loan officers writing loans that should never have been approved. More economic velocity and buying and selling of homes, less economic pain for borrowing more, naturally will drive up prices.

The best way I heard this succinctly described was on a podcast - pull aside two random people in the grocery store, give one $100, and the other $30, and tell them to shop for dinner for 2. They'll both spend all of it - same principle works for loans and interest rates. Unfortunately, that's why I think housing has behaved like a luxury good since the last housing crash.

You just can't have a system where property values raise 15% a year in some cities. It's enfranchising landowners and giving them an inaccurate sense of financial security and borrowing power (in the form of new home loans but also HELOC), but at the end of the day the property they own isn't actually worth that much. This is what a housing bubble looks like from the inside (I don't think we saw it to this degree in 2007/8).

ER757

Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:01 am

luckyone wrote:
scbriml wrote:
art wrote:

1 - spite
2 - over-inflated ego

Trump is unlikely to take himself out. Should anything stand between a nomination or a win, expect more of the same broken record about being a victim. It's pretty clear how he will handle anything that doesn't make him look like a winner.

Will be interesting to see if he claims the Republican primaries are "rigged" if and when he loses. Most likely he will since his massive ego can't possibly accept the fact that he isn't nearly as popular as he believes he is. Delusional doesn't begin to describe his mindset.

QF7

Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:09 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
If the Republicans split, it may help the Democrats on the popular vote, but the popular vote does not decide the election, the electoral college does. A split GOP would almost guarantee no one will reach 270.

Well, yes and no. With a couple of exceptions the states are winner-take-all so the popular vote in each state decides the electoral votes from each state. So if hypothetically the popular vote is 50.1% Dem, ~24.9% DeSantis, ~24.9% Trump, in enough states and the Dem candidate gets 100% of the electoral votes from those states the Dems could easily get to 270. (Edited to note: you don’t even need a majority, just a plurality.)

There is nothing speculative about 7-9% mortgage rates, they are at 7% now and with the fed poised to continue to raise they will only go up.

The mortgage on my first house in 1978 was 8%. Historically there is nothing unusual about mortgage rates at that level. And the housing market works just fine. Granted, you might have to settle for a little less house. But you get what you can realistically afford. Like a doped racehorse the economy has been artificially stimulated for a more than a decade. What’s happening now is a classic “reversion to mean” which is painful for many in the short run but healthy in the longer run. There is no reason to panic about the economy.

QF7

seb146

Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:33 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
2024 is still some time away. THE primary driver of elections is the economy.

This last election shows that is not the case. If that were true, Democrats would have been soundly beaten. They were not. Republicans will have to work with Democrats to get anything done. This election was about personal rights. So many people understood that the reason we have inflation and prices going up is because of gouging by corporations. When the MAGA Republicans show who they are by trying to take away Social Security, Medicare, voting rights, equality for LGBTQ people, women's health rights, 2024 will be another no-brainer.

luckyone

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:49 am

QF7 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
If the Republicans split, it may help the Democrats on the popular vote, but the popular vote does not decide the election, the electoral college does. A split GOP would almost guarantee no one will reach 270.

Well, yes and no. With a couple of exceptions the states are winner-take-all so the popular vote in each state decides the electoral votes from each state. So if hypothetically the popular vote is 50.1% Dem, ~24.9% DeSantis, ~24.9% Trump, in enough states and the Dem candidate gets 100% of the electoral votes from those states the Dems could easily get to 270. (Edited to note: you don’t even need a majority, just a plurality.)

There is nothing speculative about 7-9% mortgage rates, they are at 7% now and with the fed poised to continue to raise they will only go up.

The mortgage on my first house in 1978 was 8%. Historically there is nothing unusual about mortgage rates at that level. And the housing market works just fine. Granted, you might have to settle for a little less house. But you get what you can realistically afford. Like a doped racehorse the economy has been artificially stimulated for a more than a decade. What’s happening now is a classic “reversion to mean” which is painful for many in the short run but healthy in the longer run. There is no reason to panic about the economy.

QF7

No doubt we’ve been in an overheated market. It’s just more than a little amusing to watch folks who’ve SCREECHED about how bad these overvalued real estate prices are for the economy, now talking out of the other side of their mouth and say how BAD market corrections will be. It’s just knee jerk trolling.

Revelation

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:49 am

santi319 wrote:
DeSantis is a cheap Trump copy like Popsi, or N&N’s or Sprote.

His followers will follow anything anti immigrant, anti women, pro white, fake christian etc.

Its a trend with them now

More like Poopsi, S&Ms, or Scrote.

Aesma

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:13 pm

Aaron747 wrote:

I find it strange that all these people who endorsed Trump and are now dumping on him don't realize they're thrashing their names in the process. Either they're saying they were fooled by Trump, or they're admitting they knew who he was all along and only bailed on him when he couldn't further their careers/bank accounts.

luckyone

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:20 pm

Aesma wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

I find it strange that all these people who endorsed Trump and are now dumping on him don't realize they're thrashing their names in the process. Either they're saying they were fooled by Trump, or they're admitting they knew who he was all along and only bailed on him when he couldn't further their careers/bank accounts.

More likely the second. Most of the cable news networks and talking heads coordinate intimately with the political machines. It's why so many people had Mark Meadows' number and so casually reached out to him on January 6.

zakuivcustom

Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:59 pm

QF7 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

QF7

For housing - right now it is a double whammy of high interest rate AND high housing price. Something has to give, and the latter is more likely than the former.

As somebody trying to buy the price needs to come way down - houses should not increased 30% in price in the span of 2 years to begin with - it is unrealistic speculation and a bubble. But of course, as usual the "owner class" will get bailout.

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Wait, prices are falling, but sure it is still inflation?

Left out of the whole equation, of course, is how much the owner of that house next to you pay for the house when he/she bought it. Chances are it is well below 1.1M.
==========
Back on topic - Desantis is definitely falling into that "inevitable candidate" category right now, which means it is not even all that likely that he will win the nomination.

And Trump? Well, he does need to grift more money from his acolytes. For all the talk about Trump, he spent how much helping MAGA wins election? Actually not a lot. All those money that he grifts from his supporters? Goes right into his pocket and nowhere else.

seb146

Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:09 pm

Aesma wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Republicans do this thing where they do whatever, then quietly backtrack and deny but never apologize or acknowledge what they did in the first place. Like it never even happened. They want us all to believe they have been these perfect creatures acting in everyone's interest but don't read history or look behind the curtain. They demand everyone else take responsibility and whataboutisms and bring up history with everyone else, but they play by different rules.

LCDFlight

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:10 pm

I think DeSantis is a legitimate presidential candidate and Trump is not, mainly because of his seditious or insurrectionist actions (as far as we know) on and before Jan 6. Trump could still be brought up on charges at any time, and probably should be. If I googled correctly, he could be sentenced to 10-20 years for insurrection and or sedition. As can the people who assisted him like Rudy Giuliani.

phatfarmlines

Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:01 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
luckyone wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:

Seems many in the GOP had this fantasy of "Carter"-ing the 2022 midterms....guess how that turned out....

Oh, and there's a new element for the GOP in the form of Elon Musk, and he's been laying off people - don't think that's going to automatically flip everyone red.

skyservice_330

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:44 am

Possible 2024 GOP candidate Trump reportedly dined with a known white supremacist and Kanye at Mar a Lago.

According to Breitbart …

Trump Dined at Mar-a-Lago with White Nationalist, Holocaust Denier Nick Fuentes & Kanye West; UPDATE - Trump Responds, 'Had Never Met and Knew Nothing About' Fuentes

These latest revelations turn what could have been a minor story into a major national narrative, where the GOP frontrunner for president in 2024 — the former president and as of now the only formal GOP candidate for the office in the next election — seems to have met with an open white nationalist, antisemite, and Holocaust denier in Fuentes. Fuentes’ now-shut-down YouTube page is shot-through with racist and antisemitic rants that date as far back as 2014.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2022 ... -west/amp/

I don’t believe DeSantis has responded to the latest controversy, so it isn’t yet known if he will express shock and disgust at Trump dining with Fuentes … or express anger that he didn’t get an invite. :lol:

Aaron747

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:42 am

skyservice_330 wrote:
Possible 2024 GOP candidate Trump reportedly dined with a known white supremacist and Kanye at Mar a Lago.

According to Breitbart …

Trump Dined at Mar-a-Lago with White Nationalist, Holocaust Denier Nick Fuentes & Kanye West; UPDATE - Trump Responds, 'Had Never Met and Knew Nothing About' Fuentes

These latest revelations turn what could have been a minor story into a major national narrative, where the GOP frontrunner for president in 2024 — the former president and as of now the only formal GOP candidate for the office in the next election — seems to have met with an open white nationalist, antisemite, and Holocaust denier in Fuentes. Fuentes’ now-shut-down YouTube page is shot-through with racist and antisemitic rants that date as far back as 2014.

I don’t believe DeSantis has responded to the latest controversy, so it isn’t yet known if he will express shock and disgust at Trump dining with Fuentes … or express anger that he didn’t get an invite. :lol:

'Had never met and knew nothing about' is irrelevant if he liked him as much as West claims.

luckyone

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:40 am

Aaron747 wrote:
skyservice_330 wrote:

According to Breitbart …

'Had never met and knew nothing about' is irrelevant if he liked him as much as West claims.

Given the amount of security and after what happened to Nancy Pelosi’s husband…I think it’s completely believable that Trump and the Secret Service both said “Sure! Send him in” when Kanye West rolled up with an uninvited, unannounced, and unvetted plus one… :roll:

More likely the guy was invited from the start as part of a planned publicity grab.

325i

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:02 am

Greetings Folks,
Was watching 2documents on Trump last evening ,quite disturbing,how he got the Presidency baffles ones imagination,
The programmes were 2016 vintage.
The titles were, Trump-what's the deal and You've been trumped too.
To detail the content would take some time but if anyone is interested it is worth a watch unless already done so (back then).
Cheers.

FLYFIRSTCLASS

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:11 am

LCDFlight wrote:
I think DeSantis is a legitimate presidential candidate and Trump is not, mainly because of his seditious or insurrectionist actions (as far as we know) on and before Jan 6. Trump could still be brought up on charges at any time, and probably should be. If I googled correctly, he could be sentenced to 10-20 years for insurrection and or sedition. As can the people who assisted him like Rudy Giuliani.

Trump will never be sentenced let alone even indicted. If it were to happen it already would have. The whole Jan 6 he was already found not guilty by the senate in 2021. They cannot re charge him, as double jeapordy applies.

Aaron747

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:10 am

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Trump will never be sentenced let alone even indicted. If it were to happen it already would have. The whole Jan 6 he was already found not guilty by the senate in 2021. They cannot re charge him, as double jeapordy applies.

It’s a lot easier to just say ‘I’m a big fan of Trump, but I don’t know much about how legal procedures work’

seb146

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:20 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

He still has a case against him in New York and the Justice Department is still investigating him. Just because the Republican party is afraid to stand up to him does not mean he is innocent. I think a good number of Republicans are afraid of him, for some reason, and will back him in his run to the White House. I think this may fracture the Republican party.

ER757

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:22 pm

FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

???? He was never charged. You're talking about his 2nd impeachment, not a criminal case. He most certainly CAN be charged, not that he will be. Where do yo come up with this stuff?

luckyone

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:31 pm

ER757 wrote:
FLYFIRSTCLASS wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

???? He was never charged. You're talking about his 2nd impeachment, not a criminal case. He most certainly CAN be charged, not that he will be. Where do yo come up with this stuff?

It's common talking points on the likes of Hannity, OAN, Newsmaxx, Breitbart, Gateway Pundit...you get the idea...oh, and of course, not forgetting the comments section of social media.

DocLightning

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:48 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
The Dems do, Mayor Pete, but the sad fact is, despite IMHO being the best candidate, being an openly gay male makes him unelectable, it would get the Repubs back together to fight him.

Honestly, probably the biggest handicap he has is his name. If you look through the list of every president, the longest and most complicated names you'll find are Van Buren and Eisenhower. It's actually a major and underappreciated factor in election outcomes.

hh65man

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:21 am

DocLightning wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Honestly, probably the biggest handicap he has is his name. If you look through the list of every president, the longest and most complicated names you'll find are Van Buren and Eisenhower. It's actually a major and underappreciated factor in election outcomes.

He needs more exposure, it would go a long way in showing, teaching persons of a certain type of mindset that people who aren’t like them are actually very much like them in many ways. But still, it’s a massively astronomical possibility. I like Pete, he’s sounds interesting, intelligent, speaks well and is also a military vet. He’d get my vote over anyone else. To me the GOP are dead, completely, ideologically, morally. Trump is the proof.

seb146

Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:49 am

hh65man wrote:
DocLightning wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

He needs more exposure, it would go a long way in showing, teaching persons of a certain type of mindset that people who aren’t like them are actually very much like them in many ways. But still, it’s a massively astronomical possibility. I like Pete, he’s sounds interesting, intelligent, speaks well and is also a military vet. He’d get my vote over anyone else. To me the GOP are dead, completely, ideologically, morally. Trump is the proof.

Doc! Good to see you! I have not seen you for a while. I hope all is well.

Pete is well spoken. So many in this administration are well spoken. They know how to form coherent sentences. Beyond just "I say..." and "I told..." and I know..." but real sentences. Unfortunately, Republicans don't care about that. They only care about "he says he is the youngest" and "he says he is the smartest" and "he says he is the healthiest" and they believe it.