Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aesma
Topic Author

Only in America

Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:59 pm

https://www.fox6now.com/news/drug-deale ... eth-twyman

So from another thread I got on this website and found this story. It's a bit long, no need to read everything, but basically you can flee several times after having posted bail each time, murder someone, and still get a low enough bail amount that you can flee again, and anybody can post this bail amount, even your drug dealer friends. No wonder gangs and mafias can end up running cities with a system like that.

bluecrew

Re: Only in America

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:33 pm

seb146

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:18 am

Aesma wrote:
https://www.fox6now.com/news/drug-dealer-bails-out-kenneth-twyman

So from another thread I got on this website and found this story. It's a bit long, no need to read everything, but basically you can flee several times after having posted bail each time, murder someone, and still get a low enough bail amount that you can flee again, and anybody can post this bail amount, even your drug dealer friends. No wonder gangs and mafias can end up running cities with a system like that.

Not quite. The person defending the murderer can ask for a low bail. The prosecutor will reply that, because of pending charges of murder (or whatever) that bail be higher and the judge will decide. They are two separate bails and two separate charges. Also, depending on how egregious the murder was (broad daylight, in front of their children, etc.) the bail could be even higher.

Aesma
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:46 am

From bluecrew's post, you can see that now the prosecution was realizing it had screwed up and was going to ask for a higher bail/no bail, but without the outrage and the news coverage, the guy would have gotten out of jail.

SEAorPWM

Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:51 am

...and only in Wisconsin.

This is the same state that:

1) Charged a 17 year old girl as an adult with felony "child abuse" for fighting a girl a several months older than her at school (the crap laws there consider you an "adult" there at 17 in the criminal system, but nothing else, so the child abuse law is still 18): https://archive.jsonline.com/news/wisco ... 4279.html/

2) And last but not least, tried a charge a 6 year old boy with felonious sexual assault for playing doctor:
https://www.channel3000.com/grant-count ... of-doctor/

Therefore, I'm not at all surprised about this murderer's release; their legislature seems unable to write an effective piece of policy, and their prosecution seems to just be there to stuff kids into the prison pipeline (with the help of the boneheaded decision of dropping the adult age to 17 in 1996) for minor things.

ACDC8

Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:03 am

LOL - You should come to Canada - we are the Champion's of "Catch and Release", its not uncommon for criminals to be arrested for crimes twice in the same day - no bail needed.

We just had one guy who was released with a "promise to appear" in front of the judge for threatening to stab a security officer earlier this year and of course he didn't show up so now there's a warrant for his arrest which means he'll be arrested and released the same day just like the other 5 assaults he's been released for over the last year and half.

There was one guy who fatally stabbed a stranger on a transit bus back in 2014, he got charged and got a whopping 7 year sentence. He got out a year early, 2 days later got arrested again, put back in jail, got out, got arrested again, got out, arrested again, released, arrested, released - something like a dozen times in the last 2 years - like WTF?

The legal system here is enough to make you want to vomit.
Last edited by ACDC8 on Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

readytotaxi

Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:13 am

OMG, when did Canada stop teaching common sense in schools. :o

ACDC8

Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:15 am

readytotaxi wrote:
OMG, when did Canada stop teaching common sense in schools. :o

LOL - literally, this is no joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hlOEK6P5Lg

There's another case here where a young RCMP officer was fatally stabbed last month by an individual who was just released from 2 separate assaults and is set to be released, again, later this week. Un-freaking-believable :banghead:

leader1

Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:50 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
LOL - You should come to Canada - we are the Champion's of "Catch and Release", its not uncommon for criminals to be arrested for crimes twice in the same day - no bail needed.

We just had one guy who was released with a "promise to appear" in front of the judge for threatening to stab a security officer earlier this year and of course he didn't show up so now there's a warrant for his arrest which means he'll be arrested and released the same day just like the other 5 assaults he's been released for over the last year and half.

There was one guy who fatally stabbed a stranger on a transit bus back in 2014, he got charged and got a whopping 7 year sentence. He got out a year early, 2 days later got arrested again, put back in jail, got out, got arrested again, got out, arrested again, released, arrested, released - something like a dozen times in the last 2 years - like WTF?

Having grown up in Canada, I can attest to this! Most of my family still lives there and my dad keeps forwarding me articles describing the same thing as you’re posting.

We also have the same issue in NY since they enacted bail reform. Crime has spiked because the same criminals get re-released over and over again without consequence. My next-door neighbor is a cop and one of my friends works as a prosecutor for the Brooklyn DA. Both of them complained that bail reform has made their jobs a lot harder and it’s almost futile to even try because the same criminals know they can get away with it and will suffer little consequence. Bail reform is why the Dems did really bad in the NYC suburbs this past election since those residents were worried about rising crime rates. Still, the NYS legislature refuses to touch the law and our hapless governor just sits there refusing to take a stand as she’s scared of the legislative leaders.

seb146

Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:01 pm

leader1 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Having grown up in Canada, I can attest to this! Most of my family still lives there and my dad keeps forwarding me articles describing the same thing as you’re posting.

We also have the same issue in NY since they enacted bail reform. Crime has spiked because the same criminals get re-released over and over again without consequence. My next-door neighbor is a cop and one of my friends works as a prosecutor for the Brooklyn DA. Both of them complained that bail reform has made their jobs a lot harder and it’s almost futile to even try because the same criminals know they can get away with it and will suffer little consequence. Bail reform is why the Dems did really bad in the NYC suburbs this past election since those residents were worried about rising crime rates. Still, the NYS legislature refuses to touch the law and our hapless governor just sits there refusing to take a stand as she’s scared of the legislative leaders.

We have a law in Oregon that everyone agrees needs to be fixed. That is ticketing low level offenders. Jaywalkers found with a small amount of drugs or drunk drivers who cause no damage or felon in possession of a weapon... things like that. They are simply cited and released. Jails are overcrowded and this was the solution. It does not always end well and so everyone agrees this needs to be fixed. I am all for ticketing or even ignoring people in possession of small amounts of drugs, if that is their biggest crime. Drunk driving needs to be arrested.

leader1

Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:33 pm

seb146 wrote:
leader1 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

We have a law in Oregon that everyone agrees needs to be fixed. That is ticketing low level offenders. Jaywalkers found with a small amount of drugs or drunk drivers who cause no damage or felon in possession of a weapon... things like that. They are simply cited and released. Jails are overcrowded and this was the solution. It does not always end well and so everyone agrees this needs to be fixed. I am all for ticketing or even ignoring people in possession of small amounts of drugs, if that is their biggest crime. Drunk driving needs to be arrested.

I agree. Low level offenses, like a small possession of drugs, aren’t that big of a deal. The problem with the NY law was that cashless bail was applied to pretty much everything except shootings and murder. So even armed robbery or assault suspects were “released on their own recognizance”. Of course, this was a disaster waiting to happen. There have been a few “tweaks” since the law was originally passed, but they don’t seem to have made much of a difference and the legislature still won’t budge on making further adjustments.

And our jail population isn’t all that high, especially compared to twenty years ago. It peaked in 2000 and has been declining ever since. Heck, they’ve even closed jails because the inmate population had dipped so much.

SEAorPWM

Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:44 pm

seb146 wrote:
leader1 wrote:
ACDC8 wrote:

Agreed. While the recent reforms in NY (including getting underage teens into the juvenile system) were long overdue, the implementation was atrocious and we're seeing the after effects.

Wisconsin simply makes makes me scratch my head... :tired: