DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Pop Icon Taylor Swift vs TicketMaster / Live Nation

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:51 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNghk7Mgt4

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/11/18/taylor- ... iasco.html

Taylor Swift angry for fans in Ticketmaster meltdown
https://apnews.com/article/entertainmen ... bd2ddd8a6f

Taylor Swift posted a story Friday on Instagram expressing her anger and frustration over the hours spent by fans trying to buy tickets for her tour next year.

“I’m not going to make excuses for anyone because we asked them, multiple times, if they could handle this kind of demand and we were assured they could,” she wrote. “It’s truly amazing that 2.4 million people got tickets, but it really pisses me off that a lot of them feel like they went through several bear attacks to get them.”
Last edited by DIRECTFLT on Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Re: Pop Icon Taylor Swift vs TicketMaster / Live Nation

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:01 am

I can remember the 1984 Jacksons Stadium tour where the tickets were all sold by Mail Order. I guess that's too last century for the behemoth that is Live Nation / Ticketmaster. And, that would require extra processing fees to actually cover that, above the mostly fake "processing" fees TM already has for "digital" ticketing.

TM basically created the ticket service charge fee structure for them and for the venues, to all get rich from...
And now, with TM being under Live nation, all of that is going to one company, and to their stockholders, of course!!

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am

I can’t figure out what’s more ridiculous: millions of people willing to pay money to see Taylor Swift sing (whatever her song writing cred is, the average high school glee singer is more vocally talented), or the fact that we’re getting up in arms about a damn ticket website. If it sucks, DON’T use it. A few rounds of subpar ticket sales will compel a vendor to change its policies. Props to Swift for calling them out on it at least.

ThePointblank

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:50 am

luckyone wrote:
I can’t figure out what’s more ridiculous: millions of people willing to pay money to see Taylor Swift sing (whatever her song writing cred is, the average high school glee singer is more vocally talented), or the fact that we’re getting up in arms about a damn ticket website. If it sucks, DON’T use it. A few rounds of subpar ticket sales will compel a vendor to change its policies. Props to Swift for calling them out on it at least.

The thing is, Ticketmaster/Live Nation have an monopoly on live event ticket sales in North America.

If you want tickets to a certain event, often there is no other choice, as Ticketmaster will have exclusive rights to all ticket sales for an event, or even for a specific venue. Customer service bad? Too bad, they don't care because you have no choice if you want to attend certain events.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:47 am

ThePointblank wrote:
luckyone wrote:

The thing is, Ticketmaster/Live Nation have an monopoly on live event ticket sales in North America.

If you want tickets to a certain event, often there is no other choice, as Ticketmaster will have exclusive rights to all ticket sales for an event, or even for a specific venue. Customer service bad? Too bad, they don't care because you have no choice if you want to attend certain events.

As I said…don’t go… a few rounds of poor sales will fix that. People still put up with it, which reflects how much they actually dislike it versus how willing they are to complain about it. Nothing about anybody’s life requires attending a concert or a game.

Vintage

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:23 am

luckyone wrote:
As I said…don’t go… a few rounds of poor sales will fix that. People still put up with it, which reflects how much they actually dislike it versus how willing they are to complain about it. Nothing about anybody’s life requires attending a concert or a game.
Poor sales for a Taylor Swift concert?
Yea, right.

CaptHadley

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:28 am

luckyone wrote:

Tell me you have absolutely no clue about Taylor Swift without, you know, actually saying it. I'm a metal to the core music aficionado, if you didn't realize that Taylor Swift writes her own music, plays actual instruments and can sing incredibly well then you are seriously clueless to music.

Vintage

Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:37 am

CaptHadley wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Tell me you have absolutely no clue about Taylor Swift without, you know, actually saying it. I'm a metal to the core music aficionado, if you didn't realize that Taylor Swift writes her own music, plays actual instruments and can sing incredibly well then you are seriously clueless to music.
It appears that she's created the mythology that most teens and pre-teens have taken to heart.

CaptHadley

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:07 am

Vintage wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
luckyone wrote:

It appears that she's created the mythology that most teens and pre-teens have taken to heart.

That women can be song writers, excellent singers and be proficient in musical instruments? That’s awesome!

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:04 am

Taylor Swift public ticket sale cancelled amid high demand

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-63652665

The company said more than 3.5 million Swifties, as her followers are known, registered in advance as "verified fans" in the hope of getting tickets for her 52-city US tour in the pre-sale.

Despite issues during the pre-sale that Ticketmaster estimated affected about 15% of interactions across the site, the company said it still sold more than 2 million tickets - the most ever for an artist in a single day.

dampfnudel

Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:52 am

One way to dissuade resellers could be to require ticket holders to present the credit card they used to make the purchase at entry to the venue. If the ticket holder can’t, he or she would get a refund in the amount originally paid after showing identification.

ACDC8

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:40 am

Ticketmaster needs to go, they've been nothing but a stain on entertainment.

Every major event, its always the same story, people can't get tickets and the fees they charge are borderline criminal - they literally (or at least used to) charge you a fee to print your own document on your own printer using your own paper and ink.

Francoflier

Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:06 am

Last Week Tonight covered the topic a few months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_Y7uqqEFnY

It seems nothing has changed since.

ThePointblank

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
Ticketmaster needs to go, they've been nothing but a stain on entertainment.

Every major event, its always the same story, people can't get tickets and the fees they charge are borderline criminal - they literally (or at least used to) charge you a fee to print your own document on your own printer using your own paper and ink.

And don't forget the number of official scalpers who game the weak system, while Ticketmaster takes a cut and turns a blind eye. Or they are directly involved in the scalping themselves to inflate ticket prices so they get a bigger cut.

Vintage

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:31 pm

dampfnudel wrote:
One way to dissuade resellers could be to require ticket holders to present the credit card they used to make the purchase at entry to the venue. If the ticket holder can’t, he or she would get a refund in the amount originally paid after showing identification.
And the event would lose the money and have an empty seat. I don't think that idea will sell. It would also curtail gift purchases.

ChrisKen

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:32 pm

dampfnudel wrote:

My daughter is not taking my card to a concert. Next idea.

ACDC8

Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:37 pm

Last time I used Ticketmaster was to see Pink Floyd back in '94 - even then it was ridiculous. No concert is worth going if one has to deal with them.

Weird Al refused to do business with them back with the Alapalooza tour ended up seeing him at a local roller staking rink - actually, really added to the show lol.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:35 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Tell me you can't distinguish good singing from otherwise, without saying it. Anybody who's listened to the radio since...oh about 2006 (particularly if you listen to country music) is aware of Taylor Swift. You can't avoid it.

CaptHadley wrote:
Vintage wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

That women can be song writers, excellent singers and be proficient in musical instruments? That’s awesome!

They sure can--Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Adele, pre-Lyme Shania Twain, and pre-cocaine Stevie Nicks immediately come to mind. Taylor Swift is two those things. She's a barely competent singer. Because I'm a nice person I watched her 2018 Netflix special with a friend. She was clearly miming at least half the time -- basically any time she had to hit a high note or the full band was behind her because her voice can't hold up to a full band. Throw in that until recently most of her music is written out of the mind of a teenage girl, I wouldn't pay a dime to see her. Taylor Swift is a lot of things, a celebrated songwriter, clearly an adept marketer (which frankly says more about the people buying her merchandise than her, but whatever), and a good businesswoman. Her voice isn't worth two seconds of my time.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:09 pm

Your regular reminder that capitalism is great until the winners decide they no longer want to bother with pesky things like competition.

MaverickM11

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:32 pm

luckyone wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
luckyone wrote:

Tell me you can't distinguish good singing from otherwise, without saying it. Anybody who's listened to the radio since...oh about 2006 (particularly if you listen to country music) is aware of Taylor Swift. You can't avoid it.

CaptHadley wrote:
Vintage wrote:

They sure can--Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Adele, pre-Lyme Shania Twain, and pre-cocaine Stevie Nicks immediately come to mind. Taylor Swift is two those things. She's a barely competent singer. Because I'm a nice person I watched her 2018 Netflix special with a friend. She was clearly miming at least half the time -- basically any time she had to hit a high note or the full band was behind her because her voice can't hold up to a full band. Throw in that until recently most of her music is written out of the mind of a teenage girl, I wouldn't pay a dime to see her. Taylor Swift is a lot of things, a celebrated songwriter, clearly an adept marketer (which frankly says more about the people buying her merchandise than her, but whatever), and a good businesswoman. Her voice isn't worth two seconds of my time.

Not sure how your opinion of Taylor has anything to do with the fact that she essentially broke TickeMaster, which was already a glaring failure of American capitalism.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:38 pm

MaverickM11 wrote:
luckyone wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

CaptHadley wrote:

Not sure how your opinion of Taylor has anything to do with the fact that she essentially broke TickeMaster, which was already a glaring failure of American capitalism.

It's incredulity that so many people were willing to spend so much money on her mediocre vocal abilities that they crashed Ticketmaster.

Aesma

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:39 pm

Aren't these kinds of shows about the dancing and not the singing ? Can't really sing properly when you're moving like that.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 4:42 pm

Aesma wrote:
Aren't these kinds of shows about the dancing and not the singing ? Can't really sing properly when you're moving like that.

Sure...if she could dance. She doesn't really, though she'll strut in between dancers.

dampfnudel

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:51 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Well, the current system is out of whack so some sort of verification system would need to be implemented so only the original ticket purchasers would be allowed into the venue. That would cut off unscrupulous resellers immediately. Maybe some data linked to each original ticket buyer that can only be verified by that person showing identification. Unless you’re one of the people who think it’s acceptable/“just the way it is” that only children who have parents willing/able to spend thousands to make their child’s dream of seeing their favorite music artist perform in concert should go. I don’t.
Last edited by dampfnudel on Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kno

Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:53 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
Vintage wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

She’s no Adele, Amy Winehouse, Erykah Badu, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Nicks, Lauryn Hill, I mean the list could go on and on and on and on and on… and on.

For Swift fans I’d recommend Haim - often doing what Swift wishes to accomplish (I believe they’ve collaborated) but with far more advanced song writing, originality, and better put together albums.

The last time I gave Swift a shot she spent half the album doing blatant B-grade rip offs of Lana Del Ray.

Swift has done a great job of creating a wholesome, approachable, vanilla image that appeals to middle and upper middle class teen girls from the cul-de-sack. This is a massive fan base and they’ve never had a hero represent them in pop music them the way Swift has.

dampfnudel

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:08 pm

Kno wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
Vintage wrote:

She’s no Adele, Amy Winehouse, Erykah Badu, Aretha Franklin, Stevie Nicks, Lauryn Hill, I mean the list could go on and on and on and on and on… and on.

For Swift fans I’d recommend Haim - often doing what Swift wishes to accomplish (I believe they’ve collaborated) but with far more advanced song writing, originality, and better put together albums.

The last time I gave Swift a shot she spent half the album doing blatant B-grade rip offs of Lana Del Ray.

Swift has done a great job of creating a wholesome, approachable, vanilla image that appeals to middle and upper middle class teen girls from the cul-de-sack. This is a massive fan base and they’ve never had a hero represent them in pop music them the way Swift has.

Taylor Swift has definitely discovered the perfect formula, more so than any other music artist in capturing the widest base of teen/wannabe teen girls. She’ll probably age out over the next five to eight years because I don’t think most teens are too interested in following someone over the age of 40, at least not in great numbers. She’ll need to broaden out her appeal, maybe going back to her country roots. Teens as well as adults are now breaking out of their pandemic doldrums so it’s not surprising that demand for anything related to “escapism” is in high demand. For the record, Delicate and Blank Space are two of my favorite Taylor Swift songs.

stlgph

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:11 pm

dampfnudel wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Well, the current system is out of whack so some sort of verification system would need to be implemented so only the original ticket purchasers would be allowed into the venue. That would cut off unscrupulous resellers immediately. Maybe some data linked to each original ticket buyer that can only be verified by that person showing identification. Unless you’re one of the people who think it’s acceptable/“just the way it is” that only children who have parents willing/able to spend thousands to make their child’s dream of seeing their favorite music artist perform in concert should go. I don’t.

Something along those lines, yes, or simply take away the re-selling function enabling people to just flood the system to buy reasonably priced tickets and then sell them with 500% mark-up. If you buy a ticket and can't go - then you can gift it to a friend and work out a private transaction amongst yourselves.

Something else I'd support - is a 2 ticket limit of purchase per credit card.
There's nothing worse than attending a concert and having a group of 8 or 10 people sitting next to you thinking "hey, Springsteen's doing an acoustic version of `Rosalita' - well now is a great time to pretend we're at a bridal shower and talk about cute everyone's hair is."

ChrisKen

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:18 pm

dampfnudel wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:

Solution is simple: Don't buy from scalpers.

Here tickets (especially big act) generally have names one them. ID's are checked at the venue (mileage varies). No match, no entry and a big incentive not to buy from a scalper because the chance of losing your money and not getting in are high.
Ticket touting (scalping) on the street is illegal with a trading license. Concert tickets (unlike many other tickets) can be resold, but it's against the law to make a profit from that sale. There are several authorised reselling marketplaces.

but back to the first point. Don't be a moron and buy from scalpers in the first place.
Last edited by ChrisKen on Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:26 pm

Kno wrote:

The average white kid with boy problems. Basically the subtitle to all of her songs for the first fifteen years of her career. I'll give her credit for advocating for artist payouts and she supports LGBT causes, but that doesn't make me want to listen to her.

stlgph

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:03 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
dampfnudel wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:

Solution is simple: Don't buy from scalpers.

Here tickets (especially big act) generally have names one them. ID's are checked at the venue (mileage varies). No match, no entry and a big incentive not to buy from a scalper because the chance of losing your money and not getting in are high.
Ticket touting (scalping) on the street is illegal with a trading license. Concert tickets (unlike many other tickets) can be resold, but it's against the law to make a profit from that sale. There are several authorised reselling marketplaces.

but back to the first point. Don't be a moron and buy from scalpers in the first place.

That's just it....the term and system of "dynamic pricing - i.e. tickets are priced according to market demand" basically makes scalping legal because said person buys tickets at $100 and then sells them at $300 because someone really really wants to see said artist and or sit in that seat. I bought front row Stevie Nicks in Charlotte on sale day for $500. Everyone else sitting around me paid no less than $2,000.

And profiting every step along the way? Ticketmaster.

Let's say I bought that $500 Stevie Nicks ticket - along with that came $30 in assorted fees or more going to Ticketmaster. I can't go - I sell to Friend B - I have to list the ticket at a price - even if it's $0 and then attached to said price is another $30 in assorted fees. Friend B can't go and gives the ticke to Friend C - what happens again? Even if sold at $0, Ticketmaster gets fees paid to them. Now, this isn't always the case as I was able to transfer some additional Flogging Molly tickets at the Charlotte Metro Amphitheatre to some friends for $0 and no transaction fee, but for the Stevie Nicks show, in which all 25,000 some odd tickets went within hours - Ticketmaster knew there was going to be reselling and reselling and they certainly weren't going to miss their cut.

A marketing ploy and gimmick - I bought Charlotte FC season tickets - coming out to about $40 a pop per game and not costing me any transaction fees - and if I couldn't attend a game, I could transfer for $0 charges to me. It's a great way to get people to buy in to the season tickets - had I bought them on the market and transferred, I would have again likely been charged a transaction fee for a resale.

Ticketmaster fully knows how to play the market and the game.

bennett123

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Why don't artists/bands or venues sell the tickets themselves?.

Phosphorus

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 pm

bennett123 wrote:
Why don't artists/bands or venues sell the tickets themselves?.

Apparently, too late. Many venues are locked in.
So even if a band rebelled (Pearl Jam), they couldn't rent a venue, unless either
1) Ticketmaster, or
2) venue ends up paying penalties to Ticketmaster

Maybe a fresh, high-profile rebellion, could change status quo

BlueberryWheats

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:47 pm

luckyone wrote:
Kno wrote:

The average white kid with boy problems. Basically the subtitle to all of her songs for the first fifteen years of her career. I'll give her credit for advocating for artist payouts and she supports LGBT causes, but that doesn't make me want to listen to her.

That's four separate posts from you bashing Taylor Swift in this short thread. Did she run over your cat or something? :roll:

This thread is about Ticketmaster, not a particular artists talents. It could be Taylor Swift, Coldplay or anyone else.

Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:53 pm

Taylor Swift is a reasonably good song writer, a moderately good singer, and an excellent show woman, as evidenced by the many ticket sales records she holds. Her shows are much more than a concert, and are an experience that her fans greatly anticipate. She's also quite attractive, but level-headed about it, and treats her fans well.

In today's market, that's a winning and successful formula. It doesn't surprise me that her show, after a long absence, would break the system.

I've long given up the days when the exceptionally talented rose to the top. Today it's more about the packaging. In that universe, Taylor is better and more well-rounded in talent than most of the offerings.

luckyone

Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:36 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Kno wrote:

That's four separate posts from you bashing Taylor Swift in this short thread. Did she run over your cat or something? :roll:

This thread is about Ticketmaster, not a particular artists talents. It could be Taylor Swift, Coldplay or anyone else.

Yup, she ran over both of them, and giggled "Look What You Made Me Do."

And on that I have to disagree. It's not just about Ticketmaster. No, Taylor Swift isn't the first person to crash their site. No, I don't have anything against her personally, she's putting her product out there, and for whatever worthlessness I place upon it somebody's buying it and for that I don't criticize her. My aggravation, and as I've already stated, incredulousness, is THAT is what crashed Ticketmaster. My irritation is with the paying public who are willing to pay such monstrous prices to begin with that the problem creates itself--and you're right it isn't just a Taylor Swift concert and could be any large scale event (have you seen what NFL tickets go for...). Like a lot of things, people like to complain about something, but not actually do anything about it. Instead of refusing to pay the outrageous prices set by Ticketmaster, and tacitly endorsed by Swift (ticket prices have her cut built into them after all, and she likely gets a revenue bonus beyond a certain threshold...and she invites fans to be ripped off by selling branded towels and all other sorts of useless junk in order to keep them online), people sat there online like IDIOTS and have repeatedly tolerated this nonsense, such that Ticketmaster doesn't really have any incentive to do their business any differently. I'm also really annoyed that people will sit online for literally the better part of two days for two hours of worth of mediocre singing and prerecorded spectacle, but complain about or ignore things of actual value--like unexpectedly waiting 30 minutes at a doctor's office because an unforeseen complication happened, or paying a $5 copay. At the end of the day, my point is that it blows my mind that mediocrity is celebrated and tolerated in such a way that it leads to this. If these same people would say "No. I'm not tolerating these prices nor am I tolerating this inconvenience," it would've stopped a long time ago. I did my part, for whatever it's worth...by not buying the record or the ticket. And before anyone asks, no, I wouldn't tolerate any of this nonsense even if it WAS someone I liked. Nobody's spectacle is worth my time like these people tolerated.

Aesma

Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:36 am

Live Nation is under DOJ investigation : https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/18/tech ... swift.html

meecrob

Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:33 pm

luckyone wrote:
Instead of refusing to pay the outrageous prices set by Ticketmaster, and tacitly endorsed by Swift, people sat there online like IDIOTS and have repeatedly tolerated this nonsense, such that Ticketmaster doesn't really have any incentive to do their business any differently.

Boycotting a monopoly doesn't work. You need an alternative for consumers to put their money. As it stands now, Ticketmaster just has to not go bankrupt and they essentially have the entire market.

luckyone

Sun Nov 20, 2022 7:44 pm

meecrob wrote:
luckyone wrote:
Instead of refusing to pay the outrageous prices set by Ticketmaster, and tacitly endorsed by Swift, people sat there online like IDIOTS and have repeatedly tolerated this nonsense, such that Ticketmaster doesn't really have any incentive to do their business any differently.

Boycotting a monopoly doesn't work. You need an alternative for consumers to put their money. As it stands now, Ticketmaster just has to not go bankrupt and they essentially have the entire market.

There are alternatives. There are other tickets vendors—I’ve been to two arena shows in the past couple months that did not use Ticketmaster. Basketball arenas and stadiums are certainly convenient for putting on large shows, but they aren’t the only option. So while yes Ticketmaster has a large share of the market, the market could develop without it.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:24 pm

Ticketmaster: Our definition of success is to sell all seats for all dates, for the benefit of the artist and the promoter, and the venues.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED ! ! !

meecrob

Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:33 pm

luckyone wrote:
meecrob wrote:
luckyone wrote:

There are alternatives. There are other tickets vendors—I’ve been to two arena shows in the past couple months that did not use Ticketmaster. Basketball arenas and stadiums are certainly convenient for putting on large shows, but they aren’t the only option. So while yes Ticketmaster has a large share of the market, the market could develop without it.

Nah, man, keep the goalposts where they are. You said that you find it incredulous that people are willing to pay for Taylor Swift tickets. I said, they are stuck cuz Ticketmaster is the only game in town. You said that you managed to get tickets to some other show. Show me an alternative to Ticketmaster to get Taylor Swift tickets.

Also if the market "could" develop without Ticketmaster, why is it that the only developments in the last decade were "dynamic pricing", StubHub (owned by Ticketmaster) and the acquisition of LiveNation?

luckyone

Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:24 pm

meecrob wrote:
luckyone wrote:
meecrob wrote:

Nah, man, keep the goalposts where they are. You said that you find it incredulous that people are willing to pay for Taylor Swift tickets. I said, they are stuck cuz Ticketmaster is the only game in town. You said that you managed to get tickets to some other show. Show me an alternative to Ticketmaster to get Taylor Swift tickets.

Also if the market "could" develop without Ticketmaster, why is it that the only developments in the last decade were "dynamic pricing", StubHub (owned by Ticketmaster) and the acquisition of LiveNation?

I didn’t say that I bought TSwift tickets with another vendor—I’ve made it pretty clear I wouldn’t pay a dime to see her live regardless of the vendor. I said there are other vendors such that Ticketmaster doesn’t have a monopoly on the service beyond the contract that venues have in place to use them. If enough people didn’t buy her tickets and in general didn’t play TM’s game (or anybody else’s dynamic pricing setup)…then they would change their policies. It’s not that deep. Events like this are a commodity and not an essential service that clearly people have been willing to tolerate and give them their business. They aren’t compelled to go, so I don’t really feel too bad for somebody complaining that they CHOSE to spend their money in a way that got them ripped off.

Mortyman

Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:10 pm

Taylor Swift, icon ? Not sure if I can take that seriously

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:20 pm

Senate panel holds hearing focused on Taylor Swift Ticketmaster fiasco

The hearing is scheduled to begin at 10 a.m. ET.

https://thehill.com/homenews/3827854-wa ... er-fiasco/

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:02 pm

Mortyman wrote:

I'm a millennial who isn't a Swift fan (but I gotta say I like a handful of her songs) who was in middle and high school when she blew up, I can hands down tell you she is an icon to my generation. Just as NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, NWA, and others were in the 90s. Swift is up there with My Chemical Romance, Shakira, Papa Roach, Beyonce, Black Eye Peas, and others who were stars on the 2000s/2010s. Will she transcend generations like those others? She already is appealing to gen Z and gen A so yes she has, is, and will until the next big artist comes and she starts to recede/appeal only to the aforementioned generations. Say what you want about her songs and her singing and her brand, but she has made it and had a huge impact.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:17 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

I love John Kennedy LOL. It was some hearing. Is Swift an icon? Probably not but her fan base is huge and this was as Sen Kennedy put it a Debacle.

Aaron747

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:00 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

I love John Kennedy LOL. It was some hearing. Is Swift an icon? Probably not but her fan base is huge and this was as Sen Kennedy put it a Debacle.

She is an icon to girls under 30. Sen. Kennedy seems a little distant from that demographic.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:12 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
She is an icon to girls under 30. Sen. Kennedy seems a little distant from that demographic.

Not sure what that has to do it with it. The hearing was about how ticketmaster has become too big and is ripe for the fiasco we saw with Swift's concert. Not the Senators musical taste. :sarcastic:

Aaron747

Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Not sure what that has to do it with it. The hearing was about how ticketmaster has become too big and is ripe for the fiasco we saw with Swift's concert. Not the Senators musical taste. :sarcastic:

Just a flippant comment about how silly it is for septuagenarian politicians to comment on any social trends.

SEAorPWM

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:58 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

I'm a millennial who isn't a Swift fan (but I gotta say I like a handful of her songs) who was in middle and high school when she blew up, I can hands down tell you she is an icon to my generation. Just as NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, NWA, and others were in the 90s. Swift is up there with My Chemical Romance, Shakira, Papa Roach, Beyonce, Black Eye Peas, and others who were stars on the 2000s/2010s. Will she transcend generations like those others? She already is appealing to gen Z and gen A so yes she has, is, and will until the next big artist comes and she starts to recede/appeal only to the aforementioned generations. Say what you want about her songs and her singing and her brand, but she has made it and had a huge impact.

I'm about your age but IMHO, calling her an "icon" is a stretch to say the least... then again, I thought pop music from 1998-2009 was all crap. All those grown women crying on TikTok over their tickets were making the national news last night made me cringe.

Also, NWA is more 87-88 and probably falls under the same era as Run DMC and Beastie Boys.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:49 am

SEAorPWM wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

I'm about your age but IMHO, calling her an "icon" is a stretch to say the least... then again, I thought pop music from 1998-2009 was all crap. All those grown women crying on TikTok over their tickets were making the national news last night made me cringe.

Also, NWA is more 87-88 and probably falls under the same era as Run DMC and Beastie Boys.

Lol All pop music is crap and I think you're right on NWA. But still, can't deny she's huge and made an impact.

Trust me, I was the guy banging my head against the school bus window because the girls were screeching Taylor haha.