Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptHadley

Re: Pop Icon Taylor Swift vs TicketMaster / Live Nation

Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:54 am

TWA772LR wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I'm a millennial who isn't a Swift fan (but I gotta say I like a handful of her songs) who was in middle and high school when she blew up, I can hands down tell you she is an icon to my generation. Just as NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, Mariah Carey, NWA, and others were in the 90s. Swift is up there with My Chemical Romance, Shakira, Papa Roach, Beyonce, Black Eye Peas, and others who were stars on the 2000s/2010s. Will she transcend generations like those others? She already is appealing to gen Z and gen A so yes she has, is, and will until the next big artist comes and she starts to recede/appeal only to the aforementioned generations. Say what you want about her songs and her singing and her brand, but she has made it and had a huge impact.

I'm about your age but IMHO, calling her an "icon" is a stretch to say the least... then again, I thought pop music from 1998-2009 was all crap. All those grown women crying on TikTok over their tickets were making the national news last night made me cringe.

Also, NWA is more 87-88 and probably falls under the same era as Run DMC and Beastie Boys.

Lol All pop music is crap and I think you're right on NWA. But still, can't deny she's huge and made an impact.

Trust me, I was the guy banging my head against the school bus window because the girls were screeching Taylor haha.

So what type of music do you listen to? Please don't say anything that begins with "Red" or "Pearl"

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:07 am

CaptHadley wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:

I'm about your age but IMHO, calling her an "icon" is a stretch to say the least... then again, I thought pop music from 1998-2009 was all crap. All those grown women crying on TikTok over their tickets were making the national news last night made me cringe.

Also, NWA is more 87-88 and probably falls under the same era as Run DMC and Beastie Boys.

Lol All pop music is crap and I think you're right on NWA. But still, can't deny she's huge and made an impact.

Trust me, I was the guy banging my head against the school bus window because the girls were screeching Taylor haha.

So what type of music do you listen to? Please don't say anything that begins with "Red" or "Pearl"

I listen to a little bit of everything but I'd say mostly rock and rap/hip hop. Not gonna lie, I have a couple Taylor songs I like but good God I can't stand country especially new age country pop. My favorite band is RHCP though. In general I usually stick to the older 70s/80s rock, 90s/00s rap as the stuff I like to uncover. Most stuff after 2007 is crap but there are some gems here and there. The best way I describe my music taste is "I like what I like".

Aaron747

Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:53 am

CaptHadley wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
SEAorPWM wrote:

Siouxsie, Thin Lizzy, Television, Love and Rockets, New Order, Depeche Mode, the Cure, early 90s alt rock, shoegaze, Mogwai, solo Don Henley, the Dubliners etc.

luckyone

Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:58 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
She is an icon to girls under 30. Sen. Kennedy seems a little distant from that demographic.

Not sure what that has to do it with it. The hearing was about how ticketmaster has become too big and is ripe for the fiasco we saw with Swift's concert. Not the Senators musical taste. :sarcastic:

Just a flippant comment about how silly it is for septuagenarian politicians to comment on any social trends.

Maybe their grandkids couldn't get tickets.

I still say if you're willing to sit in line for more than five minutes and PAY the asking price for something you don't need...and then complain about it...you're just as much the problem.

Tugger

Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:14 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
[...] The hearing was about how ticketmaster has become too big and is ripe for the fiasco we saw with Swift's concert. [...]

So you support government involvement that prevents such mergers?

Tugg

CaptHadley

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:31 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I listen to a little bit of everything but I'd say mostly rock and rap/hip hop. Not gonna lie, I have a couple Taylor songs I like but good God I can't stand country especially new age country pop. My favorite band is RHCP though. In general I usually stick to the older 70s/80s rock, 90s/00s rap as the stuff I like to uncover. Most stuff after 2007 is crap but there are some gems here and there. The best way I describe my music taste is "I like what I like".

Fair enough, even though I asked you not to mention a band with "red" in the name ;) I can listen to pretty much anything other than rap. To me rappers have no talent, other than saying words really fast to backing tracks from other songs that they owe plenty of royalty money to. I will admit to listening to a few Eminem songs, he is a good story teller. I don't have a problem with the new "bro-country" Again, some of the tunes are not bad, The only older country acts I listen to are Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. Not to "twangy" in my eyes. In regards to Ticketmaster, I try to avoid venues that use them however it's hard to do when a band I really want to see is playing in one of their venues. Case in point, just picked up two Nickelback tickets this morning, both tickets were 91.00 a piece. At checkout I paid 247.35, close to 70.00 in fees. To me that's the pain to see a band i've loved for over twenty years. At least they're not like all of the acts lately that are playing football stadiums. I'd love to go see Metallica again, their two new songs are simply amazing, but no way in hell am I seeing them in a football stadium this tour. Would love to see the Billy Joel/Stevie Nicks tour, but again, in a football stadium. Those two? I go to tons of shows every year but try to stay in the local clubs, theater etc. But i'm not going to go because I have to pay some fees, i'll bitch about it, but will still go.

CaptHadley

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:36 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Siouxsie, Thin Lizzy, Television, Love and Rockets, New Order, Depeche Mode, the Cure, early 90s alt rock, shoegaze, Mogwai, solo Don Henley, the Dubliners etc.

Good ears, never fully appreciated The Cure until recently. I've heard their shows are not to be missed. I find my new acts to listen to on the local college station on Sunday nights, have found some gems I now listen to. Saw "X" and the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club this past summer. Always loved X but found another new band in BRMC. Always searching for new stuff, burned out of the classic rock station staples.

NIKV69

Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:53 pm

CaptHadley wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Good ears, never fully appreciated The Cure until recently. I've heard their shows are not to be missed. I find my new acts to listen to on the local college station on Sunday nights, have found some gems I now listen to. Saw "X" and the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club this past summer. Always loved X but found another new band in BRMC. Always searching for new stuff, burned out of the classic rock station staples.

Depeche Mode is the most underrated band ever.

Revelation

Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:09 pm

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
She is an icon to girls under 30. Sen. Kennedy seems a little distant from that demographic.

Not sure what that has to do it with it. The hearing was about how ticketmaster has become too big and is ripe for the fiasco we saw with Swift's concert. Not the Senators musical taste. :sarcastic:

Just a flippant comment about how silly it is for septuagenarian politicians to comment on any social trends.

US politics is almost all performative these days.

An example: Congressional hearings about the MAX could have taken advantage of FBI/DoJ subpoena power to get to the root cause of the accident, Boeing's broken software, but, nope, they grilled Boeing's CEO about his pay package while poster-sized pictures of the victims were being waived in the background.

Nothing but a bunch of "made for TV" opportunism going on there from everyone involved.

Sad, since these people literally are the lawmakers, yet they get elected on how entertaining they are rather than how good they are at making laws.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:04 pm

Revelation wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

US politics is almost all performative these days.

An example: Congressional hearings about the MAX could have taken advantage of FBI/DoJ subpoena power to get to the root cause of the accident, Boeing's broken software, but, nope, they grilled Boeing's CEO about his pay package while poster-sized pictures of the victims were being waived in the background.

Nothing but a bunch of "made for TV" opportunism going on there from everyone involved.

Sad, since these people literally are the lawmakers, yet they get elected on how entertaining they are rather than how good they are at making laws.

Could not agree more.

TWA772LR

Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:17 am

CaptHadley wrote:

Fair enough, even though I asked you not to mention a band with "red" in the name ;)

Fine, Красный Hot Chili Peppers ;)

I agree that fees have gotten outrageous. It's the same for sporting events to. Go buy a $20 nose bleed ticket online and next thing you know you've spent $50. I saw the Houston Texans play in London in 2019. The ticket itself was $120ish for a seat in the corner of the inzone about 12 rows up, not a terrible price, but came out around $180 iirc after the transaction was done.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:40 am

CBNC - How The Taylor Swift Debacle Fueled The Ticketmaster Monopoly Debate

Taylor Swift is not the first artist to be at the center of controversy over Ticketmaster and Live Nation’s domination of the live entertainment industry. In November when presale tickets for the pop star’s Eras Tour were plagued by disruptions and slow queues, chaos erupted and the general public sale was canceled. But Live Nation Entertainment, the consolidation of Live Nation and Ticketmaster, has been under fierce scrutiny for years and a similar uproar occurred surrounding the sale of Bruce Springsteen tickets just months prior. On Jan. 24, the Senate Judiciary Committee held a hearing that explored whether Live Nation Entertainment is hurting consumers by stifling competition. In 2019, the Department of Justice alleged Live Nation Entertainment violated its consent decree, the condition of the two companies’ merger, and the concert giant settled with the government. A monopoly is not illegal in the United States. But abuse of that power can be. Here’s a close look at why Live Nation and Ticketmaster are facing renewed antitrust scrutiny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B58ZrSNPxGw

B777LRF

Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:55 am

Taylor Swift is an icon of auto-tune. Her voice is almost non-existent and she can’t sing live. A squeaking, asthma ridden, hamster would be able to out-voice her. I get that she’s pleasing to the eye, kind to her fans and probably animals too. Everything about her reminds me of the red-headed one from Spice Girls, and that’s not an endorsement.

All the best pop and rock music was made in the ‘80s and ‘90s. Fact.

If you want to listen to a lady who could sing, nobody - not before or after - does it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0tf35Mbo

Try that at the age of 80, Swifty, and get back to us.

N1120A

Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:34 pm

The Senators at the hearing were pretty pointed. Ticketmaster got Democrats and Republicans to agree that they need breaking up.

B777LRF wrote:
Taylor Swift is an icon of auto-tune. Her voice is almost non-existent and she can’t sing live. A squeaking, asthma ridden, hamster would be able to out-voice her. I get that she’s pleasing to the eye, kind to her fans and probably animals too. Everything about her reminds me of the red-headed one from Spice Girls, and that’s not an endorsement.

All the best pop and rock music was made in the ‘80s and ‘90s. Fact.

If you want to listen to a lady who could sing, nobody - not before or after - does it better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cF0tf35Mbo

Try that at the age of 80, Swifty, and get back to us.

She writes her own music and is quite good lyrically. I'm not even a fan and appreciate that.

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:44 am

Taylor Swift is a generational talent. I just don't have the time to listen. Maybe in a decade or two...

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:45 pm

Beyonce announces Tour. Ticketmaster is handling the sale.

Ticketmaster said in a release that sales will begin Monday, Feb. 6 and fans will need to register through their Verified Fan system. Sale times will vary based on city.

https://apnews.com/article/beyonce-rena ... adf4bb5c1f

TM Debacle Part II ?? :|

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:38 am

Ticketmaster braces for Beyoncé‘s ‘Renaissance’ tour amid fears of Taylor Swift-level demand

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/02/beyonce-renaissance-tour-ticketmaster-demand.html

Beyoncé's Renaissance tour is Ticketmaster's next big test. Fans are already stressed

https://www.npr.org/2023/02/02/1153806365/beyonce-ticketmaster-renaissance-tour