Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sierrakilo44

Re: World Cup 2022 Football Thread

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:06 am

scbriml wrote:
Neither Mexico or Poland seemed particularly interested in going flat-out for a win which would have put them in control of their group, instead they played out a fairly tame 0-0 with Lewandowski surprisingly missing a penalty.

Yeah with the shock Saudi win it’s anyone’s guess in that group as to who makes it through. Potentially all 4 nations have an equal chance of making it out of the group, who thought we’d be saying that just one day ago! This is why the WC is the best, all predictions mean squat when the game starts.

Denmark and Tunisia also played out a 0-0, but at least it was a little more entertaining than the earlier game. This match was also notable for the extraordinary appearance of Christian Eriksen less than 18 months after suffering a cardiac arrest on the pitch during the delayed Euro 2020 tournament.

Tunisia proved a solid opponent, put real pressure on the Danes and had a solid defence. Both will take the game to France.

In the last match of the day, France looked very impressive in their 4-1 win, despite going a goal behind to Australia. France now have additional injury concerns after losing defender Lucas Hernandez early in the game.

Australia is a shadow of a footballing nation now. The team they’ve brought to Qatar would be lucky to win a game in a European domestic 3rd division league. Even with that opposition France showed up well, their structure and players moved well and communicated and passed superbly, so all that talk of the French camp being in disarray was obviously bunkum.

Tunisia and Denmark will be more of a challenge but I’m fairly confident the “World Cup Winner’s Curse” ends this year. I thought Benzema’s loss would’ve hurt them but Giroud, Mbappe and Griezmann can easily provide the firepower.

In other matches the Dutch showed they can definitely get to the quarters with a gutsy effort over Senegal. A shame Senegal are missing Mane because with a bit more firepower they could’ve done better up front.

England won easily but let’s face it Iran have other issues going on at the moment, and after their first GK was subbed off his replacement was useless. England also let in two easy goals at the end. They did have a good offensive performance but I still have my doubts when they come up against a good side, but that won’t happen until the quarter finals probably.

The USA is too young and Wales lacking good players to have much of an impact beyond the group stages.

Good games coming up tonight, I’ll be interested to see how Germany, Croatia, Spain and Belgium perform in their first matches and how they may go throughout the tournament.

Aesma

Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:25 am

I will mostly/only watch France's games, because I'm not a fan of the sport (also I'm not sure other games will be available free to air, and I work for the company owning the TV channel concerned, it shows my level of interest...).

Last night's game was fairly entertaining, I would have hated watching a 0-0 or 1-0. And it started with a bit of adrenaline for my country...

NIKV69

Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:35 pm

Man did Croatia look flat, need to play better Germany looks good.

WOW JAPAN!!! Germany didn't hustle and tried to get the offside and paid the price.

scbriml

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Wow, another major upset - Japan beats Germany 2-1!

Fantastic game for the neutral.

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:35 pm

scbriml wrote:

Fantastic is “a bit” of an exaggeration. More a “mweh” game with a surprising result. Nevertheless I couldn’t resist a smile at the end of the game. :mrgreen:

The silent statement by Die Mannschaft just before the start of the game was fantastic.
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/23/germany-cover-mouths-wear-rainbows-on-kit-in-world-cup-protest-fifa-qatar-onelove

ltbewr

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:39 pm

Looks like the WC Qatar is becoming the graveyard of favorites. Argentina and Germany lose, Mexico-Poland tie. France has injury issues that may limit them to get far. The German team held their hands over their mouths in protest of Qatar's human rights issues in a pre-match photo. https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/g ... egotiable/

NIKV69

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:39 pm

marcelh wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Fantastic is “a bit” of an exaggeration. More a “mweh” game with a surprising result. Nevertheless I couldn’t resist a smile at the end of the game. :mrgreen:
The silent statement by Die Mannschaft just before the start of the game was fantastic.
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/23/germany-cover-mouths-wear-rainbows-on-kit-in-world-cup-protest-fifa-qatar-onelove

Germany has nobody to blame but themselves. Both goals they got caught standing around and the second goal was a joke. the goalkeeper stayed on his line and all Defenders dogged it and tried to get the offside when they were beaten. Worse was that dive they took in the box to try to get a PK it should have been a yellow.

scbriml

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Germany team photo after their loss to Japan :

Source: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/ ... 648a9c.jpg

scbriml

Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:52 pm

marcelh wrote:
scbriml wrote:

Fantastic is “a bit” of an exaggeration.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

StarAC17

Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:42 pm

ltbewr wrote:
Looks like the WC Qatar is becoming the graveyard of favorites. Argentina and Germany lose, Mexico-Poland tie. France has injury issues that may limit them to get far. The German team held their hands over their mouths in protest of Qatar's human rights issues in a pre-match photo. https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/g ... egotiable/

That spells good news for Canada today :biggrin: :biggrin:

NIKV69

Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:42 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

That spells good news for Canada today :biggrin: :biggrin:

So far Canada has outplayed Belgium big time.

scbriml

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:40 pm

Belgium wins but won’t be frightening any other teams after that performance. Canada we’re very plucky, but really lacked composure and quality in the box. The penalty miss was a disaster for Canada - it would have been interesting to see Belgium chase the game.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:54 pm

scbriml wrote:
Belgium wins but won’t be frightening any other teams after that performance. Canada we’re very plucky, but really lacked composure and quality in the box. The penalty miss was a disaster for Canada - it would have been interesting to see Belgium chase the game.

Belgium's GK played amazing but they didn't look as good as France or Spain.

mke717spotter

Re: Fifa World Cup 2022

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:15 am

mke717spotter wrote:
To be honest I'm not that optimistic about the US team. Their run in the qualifiers was underwhelming and the last two friendly matches leading into the tournament went poorly.

Maybe the loss to Japan and tie versus Saudi Arabia prior to the tournament aren't looking so bad right now?

BlindMarshall

Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:20 am

I will be rooting for USA, also Qatar because I like to see the home team do well. USA plays England on Friday and that will be a very tough match.

Jalap

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:15 am

scbriml wrote:

Canada deserved better indeed, but failing to score a goal is their own fault. Courtois didn't even have that much work, nor did he do any miraculous saves. Any average keeper would have done the same. The penalty was poorly kicked.
Also I don't understand why they put David as winger. I've seen him play often and he really is the kind of player you want in the centre line.
Still Canada has very good chances against Morocco and Croatia.

Belgium was poor indeed. While everybody points at the poor defence and Hazard being out of shape, I feel the main issue was the lack of link between defence and midfield. Partly because the defenders failed to see the spaces in midflield, mostly because our midfield was nowhere. They didn't offer enough options to the defence, they didn't manage to keep possession and they didn't win duels.
It's very early in the tournament, if you want to grow, you need to start low enough.

And, true champions also win their poor games ;)

scbriml

Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:16 pm

Switzerland sees off Cameroon 1-0 in a game that never really ignited. The Swiss were poor in the first half but improved in the second whereas Cameroon went in the opposite direction. Cameroon lacked quality up front and rarely threatened.

Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:18 pm

Portugal beat Ghana 3-2 with some luck in an eventful 2nd half.

scbriml

Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 pm

marcelh wrote:
Portugal beat Ghana 3-2 with some luck in an eventful 2nd half.

And in doing so, very nearly conceded the most embarrassing goal in World Cup history.

Talking of history, Cristiano Ronaldo becomes first player to score a goal in five World Cups - an astonishing feat even if you think the penalty was very soft. He’s also the youngest and oldest Portuguese scorer at WCs.

ChrisKen

Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:59 pm

Qatar out - Quickest exit of a host nation in WC history.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:25 pm

World Cup live updates: US ties with England, must win against Iran to continue

The European teams were angered they could not wear a "OneLove" armband.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/live-upda ... d=93791657

ltbewr

Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:03 pm

Oh, and Iran beat Wales on Friday 2-0. USA tied England but at 0-0. What a crazy cup this is. The US v. Iran match should be very interesting to see if any protests by the USA and/or Iran. I suspect both teams are under a lot of pressure to not do anything political, just one try to use a tie or win to support their country's policies or not.

sierrakilo44

Sat Nov 26, 2022 1:51 am

USA actually looked quite solid. They need a win against Iran to advance so that will be an epic contest. I think both teams deserve to go through to the second round so it’s a shame only one will.

England looked poor at the back, almost let the USA score several times. I still think it’s inevitable once they come up against the first team with a decent attack they’ll be easily defeated.

For the rest after watching the first round of games I have to say it’s Brazil’s to lose. Brilliant in all areas, such fast exciting options up front to score.

France and Spain for secondary contenders. The rest are going to have to rely on a stroke of luck to win it all.

Having said that it looks as if Neymar is out for at least one game with an ankle injury. Brazil should have the depth to cover him but it’s certainly not a good thing for Brazil.

CaptHadley

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:39 am

I had to have some recall work done on my vehicle a couple of days ago. Sat down in the lobby, nobody else there, and it so happened that the Canada vs Brussels, I believe, game just started. Man, I watched the first half and very start of the second. How do you people actually watch and like this game on purpose? My god, it was the most boring thing, sports related, I think i've ever watched. Now don't get me wrong, I cannot stand to watch american football, baseball, golf and basketball. All of these rank right up there in terms of sleep inducing boredom. But I have to say that soccer is tops in the boredom category. I ended up switching the channel to underground weather and got way more out of that. seriously, what is the allure of this game? Please don't say the plays etc because all I saw was a bunch of guys running after a ball and whining to the referees constantly.

Newark727

Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:52 am

CaptHadley wrote:
I had to have some recall work done on my vehicle a couple of days ago. Sat down in the lobby, nobody else there, and it so happened that the Canada vs Brussels, I believe, game just started. Man, I watched the first half and very start of the second. How do you people actually watch and like this game on purpose? My god, it was the most boring thing, sports related, I think i've ever watched. Now don't get me wrong, I cannot stand to watch american football, baseball, golf and basketball. All of these rank right up there in terms of sleep inducing boredom. But I have to say that soccer is tops in the boredom category. I ended up switching the channel to underground weather and got way more out of that. seriously, what is the allure of this game? Please don't say the plays etc because all I saw was a bunch of guys running after a ball and whining to the referees constantly.

It doesn't sound like you're into televised sports just in general. And that's fine. Would you like a cookie?

CaptHadley

Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:16 am

Newark727 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

It doesn't sound like you're into televised sports just in general. And that's fine. Would you like a cookie?

Not a big sweets guy, appreciate it though. So what you're saying is that if I attended one of these sporting events in person that it would blow my mind and change my view on everything? Well I have attended all of those sports in person save soccer. Highly doubtful watching a bunch of guys chasing a ball is going to change my mind either.

Newark727

Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:31 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Not a big sweets guy, appreciate it though. So what you're saying is that if I attended one of these sporting events in person that it would blow my mind and change my view on everything? Well I have attended all of those sports in person save soccer. Highly doubtful watching a bunch of guys chasing a ball is going to change my mind either.

That is also fine. I never really got into soccer either. It just doesn't sound like any answer anyone in this thread gives is going to affect your thinking in any way, which begs the question of why you're asking in the first place.

CaptHadley

Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:34 am

Newark727 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

That is also fine. I never really got into soccer either. It just doesn't sound like any answer anyone in this thread gives is going to affect your thinking in any way, which begs the question of why you're asking in the first place.

Actually stating my feelings/opinion on this game and wondering if someone could give me a reason why it's so popular. I honestly don't get the appeal of a game that celebrated as much for a 0-0 tie as a 3-1 win.

JJJ

Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:58 am

CaptHadley wrote:
Newark727 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Actually stating my feelings/opinion on this game and wondering if someone could give me a reason why it's so popular. I honestly don't get the appeal of a game that celebrated as much for a 0-0 tie as a 3-1 win.

You don't get the appeal and that's fine. I would never dare to understand cricket either and I absolutely don't see the point of watching any road cycling event (which I do understand, putting a few thousand miles of cycling every year myself)

But it's called the beautiful game and has the most global following of any sport for quite a few reasons.

B777LRF

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:42 am

That you started by misrepresenting “Belgium” as “Brussels” didn’t really leave a good impression.

Football is a game you need to be brought up with to truly appreciate it. Whilst, in general terms, a game ending 5-0 or 3-3 is usually more entertaining than a 0-0 draw, the end result is not always a good indicator of the entertainment level. But to appreciate that you need to really understand the game, which you obviously don’t. And that’s fine; football is not for everybody.

One notices with a large dollop of glee that Qatar have managed to set a couple of new records at this cup, not least of which is being sent “home” after just two matches in the group stages. They’ve also proven to be absolutely shyte at playing footy, not least their goalkeeper who shouldn’t be let anywhere near a field of professional players, and it does make you wonder how on earth they managed to win the Asian cup. My personal theory is that you can buy almost anything with enough money, including an Asian game victory and the right to host the World Cup.

England looks to be heading for their usual ending; knocked out not long after the group stages. Spain looks like the side to beat, Brazil looks good but are always just a bad half away from imploding, Holland is a sad shadow of former glory, and France is perfectly able to perform even without Benzema. Germany is likely to bounce back, as they always do, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them reach the semi’s or even the final. Much impressed by Japan, the Iran-Wales match was an epic display of will power, and I cannot express how much I feel Argentina is overrated. Impressive to see Mr. Portugal score in a 5th consecutive World Cup, even though I detest the fella, and the African teams have generally been a huge disappointment. So FIFA will probably want more African nations in favour of fewer European ditto at the new World Cup. Because, let’s never forget that bribery and corruption has a name and a face: FIFA.

bennett123

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:34 am

CaptHadley wrote:

Do you Canada vs Belgium.

Brussels is not a country.

bennett123

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:37 am

B777LRF wrote:
That you started by misrepresenting “Belgium” as “Brussels” didn’t really leave a good impression.

Football is a game you need to be brought up with to truly appreciate it. Whilst, in general terms, a game ending 5-0 or 3-3 is usually more entertaining than a 0-0 draw, the end result is not always a good indicator of the entertainment level. But to appreciate that you need to really understand the game, which you obviously don’t. And that’s fine; football is not for everybody.

One notices with a large dollop of glee that Qatar have managed to set a couple of new records at this cup, not least of which is being sent “home” after just two matches in the group stages. They’ve also proven to be absolutely shyte at playing footy, not least their goalkeeper who shouldn’t be let anywhere near a field of professional players, and it does make you wonder how on earth they managed to win the Asian cup. My personal theory is that you can buy almost anything with enough money, including an Asian game victory and the right to host the World Cup.

England looks to be heading for their usual ending; knocked out not long after the group stages. Spain looks like the side to beat, Brazil looks good but are always just a bad half away from imploding, Holland is a sad shadow of former glory, and France is perfectly able to perform even without Benzema. Germany is likely to bounce back, as they always do, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them reach the semi’s or even the final. Much impressed by Japan, the Iran-Wales match was an epic display of will power, and I cannot express how much I feel Argentina is overrated. Impressive to see Mr. Portugal score in a 5th consecutive World Cup, even though I detest the fella, and the African teams have generally been a huge disappointment. So FIFA will probably want more African nations in favour of fewer European ditto at the new World Cup. Because, let’s never forget that bribery and corruption has a name and a face: FIFA.

At least Qatar will not have a long flight home.

SoCalPilot

Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:12 pm

CaptHadley wrote:

I'll never understand people who go out of their way to comment on something they supposedly don't care about.

Congratulations on realizing that people are different and don't find the same things exciting or fun.

Aesma

Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Billions of people have grown up playing at least a bit of football, that's the answer. You just need a ball (can be a plastic 1$ ball) and some flat place and you're good to play. Dirt poor African kids play in dirt, without shoes.

It's difficult to score, which is what makes each goal exciting. When a team gets crushed with a large goal difference is not at all the most entertaining to watch.

When you wonder how the ball made it into the net, dodging 3 defenders and the goalkeeper, or after a player had to send his feets in the air, or after bouncing on a pole, or all the myriads of things that can happen, is what it's about.

mke717spotter

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:29 am

ChrisKen wrote:
Qatar out - Quickest exit of a host nation in WC history.

Talk about disappointing. They've been preparing for this tournament for twelve years (ever since they were named the hosts). Considering they won the Asian Cup I expected better than this.

CaptHadley

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:39 am

SoCalPilot wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

I'll never understand people who go out of their way to comment on something they supposedly don't care about.

Congratulations on realizing that people are different and don't find the same things exciting or fun.

It's called having an opinion on something champ. You do realize that this is a message board, right? I wouldn't call it "going out of my way" I was here so I made a comment, sorry you don't agree with it. Soccer, in my eyes, is a boring sport. Trying to figure out why it's so appealing. Could it be because it's a sport that basically anyone can play, like basketball, that doesn't require little to any money involved like say, hockey?

CaptHadley

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:42 am

Aesma wrote:
Billions of people have grown up playing at least a bit of football, that's the answer. You just need a ball (can be a plastic 1$ ball) and some flat place and you're good to play. Dirt poor African kids play in dirt, without shoes.

It's difficult to score, which is what makes each goal exciting. When a team gets crushed with a large goal difference is not at all the most entertaining to watch.

When you wonder how the ball made it into the net, dodging 3 defenders and the goalkeeper, or after a player had to send his feets in the air, or after bouncing on a pole, or all the myriads of things that can happen, is what it's about.

So it's basically a sport that requires no monetary investment. That would be my guess as to it's popularity. Your last sentence occurs what, maybe 2-3 times in a game?

sierrakilo44

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:13 am

CaptHadley wrote:

So it's basically a sport that requires no monetary investment. That would be my guess as to it's popularity. Your last sentence occurs what, maybe 2-3 times in a game?

I’d ask what sport you do find interesting? NFL?

A football game from kickoff to final whistle will last slightly less than two hours. An NFL game just under 3hrs. On average about 2.8 football goals per game vs 4.9 NFL touchdowns, so there average goal/touchdown per viewing time is about the same.

I don’t see how the raw number of goals makes a sport more interesting. Basketball and cricket rack up the scores into the hundreds yet to me aren’t particularly more interesting.

I think the thing with football is there’s always an edge of the seat anticipation when a team has the ball near the goal that they may score. Compared to other sports where it’s assumed they’ll score when the ball is up their end.

There’s also a feeling of equality. Apart from the goalkeeper any football player has the chance to score, whereas with NFL it’s limited to specific players. Most play support roles.

Anyways back to the WC. France and Mbappe shine and make things hard for Denmark. The Saudis dived, time wasted and rough houses the Poles but Lewandowski punished them.

And MESSI!!! Great effort, the world was in tears when he scored. This is why football is the world game, no one outside of the US cares if a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or whoever throws a ball to some guy and he catches it in the end zone. But when Messi puts the ball into the net in his final World Cup the world is in celebration.

CaptHadley

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:26 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

I’d ask what sport you do find interesting? NFL?

A football game from kickoff to final whistle will last slightly less than two hours. An NFL game just under 3hrs. On average about 2.8 football goals per game vs 4.9 NFL touchdowns, so there average goal/touchdown per viewing time is about the same.

I don’t see how the raw number of goals makes a sport more interesting. Basketball and cricket rack up the scores into the hundreds yet to me aren’t particularly more interesting.

I think the thing with football is there’s always an edge of the seat anticipation when a team has the ball near the goal that they may score. Compared to other sports where it’s assumed they’ll score when the ball is up their end.

There’s also a feeling of equality. Apart from the goalkeeper any football player has the chance to score, whereas with NFL it’s limited to specific players. Most play support roles.

Anyways back to the WC. France and Mbappe shine and make things hard for Denmark. The Saudis dived, time wasted and rough houses the Poles but Lewandowski punished them.

And MESSI!!! Great effort, the world was in tears when he scored. This is why football is the world game, no one outside of the US cares if a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or whoever throws a ball to some guy and he catches it in the end zone. But when Messi puts the ball into the net in his final World Cup the world is in celebration.

Cannot stand american football, from the actual "action" of play of approximately 12 minutes total per game to the obvious injuries every game that will lead to CTE, I think it's a sport that should be banned outright. Parents who let their kids play at a young age should be charged with child cruelty as well. The only sport I would watch with some interest would be ice hockey.

ReverseFlow

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:52 am

Are we slightly deviating from the topic of the World Cup of its results, matches etc?

Perhaps a new thread should be opened to discuss the sense or not of football?

bennett123

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:51 am

To me, the most disappointing part about Qatar was not the performance on the pitch but the reaction of the 'fans'.

When your team are struggling, you shout all the louder, you don't walk out.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
And MESSI!!! Great effort, the world was in tears when he scored. This is why football is the world game…. But when Messi puts the ball into the net in his final World Cup the world is in celebration.

“The world was in tears..” Really?!? IMHO Mbappe is much more impressive and decisive after the first two matches than Messi.

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:49 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Er, right. Maybe have a lie down, it sounds like you’re a little overwrought. Argentina are poor and struggled to beat a hard-working but low quality Mexico.

sierrakilo44

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:25 pm

marcelh wrote:

“The world was in tears..” Really?!? IMHO Mbappe is much more impressive and decisive after the first two matches than Messi.

Messi is the world’s most successful player, the most Balon D’or wins. But is he truly the GOAT? One would say he would have to win a World Cup to take that mantle, as his predecessors Pele and Maradona have.

This will be his last chance to do it.

Mbappe is a good player but Messi is the player of his generation. Mbappe already has a World Cup and is a player for the next Gen, but I think most neutrals would at heart love to see Messi hold the cup, if Argentina made it to the final.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:51 pm

Nice help for us Germans from Costa Rica. Probably the most rediculous win I have ever seen. Japan played like we did in the first game.

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
Nice help for us Germans from Costa Rica. Probably the most rediculous win I have ever seen. Japan played like we did in the first game.

Indeed, they really blew their chance to pretty much guarantee their progress (although three teams could have finished with six points). They seemed to lack real desire to go for the win. Now they have to get a result against Spain.

Nobody in their right mind would now bet against Germany winning the group! :crazy:

It seems that the earlier kick-off games are not the most entertaining.

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:30 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Mbappe is a good player but Messi is the player of his generation. Mbappe already has a World Cup and is a player for the next Gen, but I think most neutrals would at heart love to see Messi hold the cup, if Argentina made it to the final.

Maybe "some" rather than "most". The problem for Messi is the other 10 players in the team.

While not all teams have played two games yet, France have looked by far the best team so far.

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:02 pm

Another shock - Morocco beats Belgium 2-0. A thoroughly deserved win by Morocco. Belgium looked flat and slow. It seems their golden era is in rapid decline despite still being ranked #2 by FIFA.

This is tuning into a World Cup of shocks.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:08 pm

Morocco 2
Belgium 0

That’s gonna hurt

B777LRF

Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:54 pm

[quote="sierrakilo44”](..) I think most neutrals would at heart love to see Messi hold the cup, if Argentina made it to the final.[/quote]

And I think you seriously underestimate the emotions involved in football. I too like Messi, but I can’t stand the Argentinian side and never have but for a brief moment in 1978. On the other hand I do like the Brazilian and Portuguese sides, but I detest Neymar and Ronaldo.

But all that’s really immaterial; we’re at the World Cup and I support my country and nobody else. And most, if not all, fans will feel the same way, and would be only too delighted to see their own team send e.g. Argentina home. So if you by “neutral” mean fans from countries who don’t participate in the World Cup you may be right, but I doubt it. It’s a game of country against country, and there’s a lot of people who harbour no positive feelings for Argentina even though they may be fans of Messi.

PS
Belgium losing to Morocco may be the swan song of their “golden generation”. I sort of pity them for not winning anything with such a great side, and an equal opportunity may not materialise for generations - if ever.