Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

petertenthije

Re: World Cup 2022 Football Thread

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:01 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Messi is the world’s most successful player, the most Balon D’or wins. But is he truly the GOAT? One would say he would have to win a World Cup to take that mantle,

One would not say that, or should not anyway.

Football is a teamsport, it does matter how good you individually are.

If you are playing with 10 mediocre players against 11 decent but not exceptional players, you might loose.

If you have 10 good players on your team each going for personal glory, and the other team has 11 mediocre players playing as a team, the “mediocre team” has an edge.

And then there is the simple luck factor. If your team have a bad day or two during the world cup, you’re out.

Aesma

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:16 pm

A childhood friend of mine has a brazilian mother, and despite this for some reason he's a supporter of Argentina. For sure that country has an aura in football. He also supports Brazil and France when Argentina isn't there, of course (and it's difficult for him when it's Brazil vs France, same as me and my Italian-French family when it's France vs Italy).

Dano1977

Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:21 pm

scbriml wrote:
Another shock - Morocco beats Belgium 2-0. A thoroughly deserved win by Morocco. Belgium looked flat and slow. It seems their golden era is in rapid decline despite still being ranked #2 by FIFA.

This is tuning into a World Cup of shocks.

The problem with Belgium is that their "Golden Generation" has been managed by tactically inept manager. I also think this England squad is the Golden Generation and again managed by a tactically inept manager.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:00 pm

I retired from working in NYC at age 67 about a year ago. One thing I miss from the 2018 and 2014 WC's is being at work with fans of the USA or other countries sneaking viewing of games at a long or late lunch or trying to stream on their work computer or phones. Of course I root for the USA, but don't expect going beyond the first round and maybe knocked out in the next round.of 16. I will watch a few matches, especially with the USA or a good team with top players like France in the 3rd round. The Sunday Spain-Germany match should be good, I will probably watch parts of that with parts of the Jets NFL team game.
Some posters here have brought up politics and social issues, especially of the site country, Qatar, of this WC. Of course, that the teams are based on nationality or political entities so means politics are at play anyway, for their home country or against one because of their politics and government. .

leader1

Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:08 pm

scbriml wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
And MESSI!!! Great effort, the world was in tears when he scored. This is why football is the world game, no one outside of the US cares if a Tom Brady or Joe Montana or whoever throws a ball to some guy and he catches it in the end zone. But when Messi puts the ball into the net in his final World Cup the world is in celebration.

Er, right. Maybe have a lie down, it sounds like you’re a little overwrought. Argentina are poor and struggled to beat a hard-working but low quality Mexico.

True ‘dat. A little melodramatic of a description.

As for the game itself, Mexico was incredibly undisciplined. Usually the case with them.

Watching Canada-Croatia. Canada’s defense broke down in the latter part of the first half and they looked terrible against an incredibly average Croatian team. But Alphonso Davies is quite a player. See big things happening with him.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:09 pm

Canada is out but nevertheless was one of the positive surprises this World cup. They Played with heart.

bennett123

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:35 pm

Why riot when you win?.

flybaurlax

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:16 pm

Whenever the LA Lakers win championships, right on queue parts of the city of LA immediately break out in riots. Not sure why you riot when you win? I understand celebrations and taking to the streets in a party, but to start rioting, breaking into cars, lighting them on fire and turning them over? I will never understand human behavior.

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:19 pm

TheSonntag wrote:
Canada is out but nevertheless was one of the positive surprises this World cup. They Played with heart.

Yes, valiant effort by Canada, but like many of the “lesser” teams, a lack of quality and composure in the final third of the pitch. Croatia had far too much quality for them although the scoreline was a bit harsh on Canada IMHO.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:20 pm

flybaurlax wrote:
Whenever the LA Lakers win championships, right on queue parts of the city of LA immediately break out in riots. Not sure why you riot when you win? I understand celebrations and taking to the streets in a party, but to start rioting, breaking into cars, lighting them on fire and turning them over? I will never understand human behavior.

Happens in most cities after the Big Game, win or lose. Masses of idiots celebrating or whining over something they had zero to do with. Sports should be about participation, not tribalism.

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:57 pm

Spain-Germany the best match so far. 1-1 but fun to watch. Football as it meant to be instead of the streetfighting yesterday (ARG-MEX).

scbriml

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:03 pm

marcelh wrote:
Spain-Germany the best match so far. 1-1 but fun to watch. Football as it meant to be instead of the streetfighting yesterday (ARG-MEX).

Not sure I agree with that assessment. Neither team created many chances with only seven shots on target between the two teams.

mke717spotter

Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:19 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
USA actually looked quite solid. They need a win against Iran to advance so that will be an epic contest. I think both teams deserve to go through to the second round so it’s a shame only one will.

Iran are now calling for the US to be kicked out of the World Cup. I guess it was only a matter of time before politics came to the forefront of this matchup.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/27/football ... index.html

"Iran state media has called for the US to be kicked out of the 2022 World Cup after the United States Soccer Federation changed Iran’s flag on its social media platforms to show support for protesters in Iran.

The federation had temporarily displayed Iran’s national flag on its official Twitter, Instagram and Facebook accounts without the emblem of the Islamic Republic. A now-deleted graphic of the Group B standings posted on Saturday displayed the Iranian flag only bearing its green, white and red colors.

US Soccer told CNN on Sunday that it wanted to change the official flag for 24 hours to show “support for the women in Iran fighting for basic human rights” but always planned to go back to the original flag.

Iran state media reported Sunday that the United States should be immediately kicked out of the tournament and suspended for 10 games for a “distorted image” of the country’s flag."

leader1 wrote:
Watching Canada-Croatia. Canada’s defense broke down in the latter part of the first half and they looked terrible against an incredibly average Croatian team.

Canada's coach is left to eat his words. You never want to give the other team bulletin board material. Apparently he didn't even shake hands with Croatia's coach afterward.

leader1

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:21 am

mke717spotter wrote:
leader1 wrote:
Watching Canada-Croatia. Canada’s defense broke down in the latter part of the first half and they looked terrible against an incredibly average Croatian team.

Canada's coach is left to eat his words. You never want to give the other team bulletin board material. Apparently he didn't even shake hands with Croatia's coach afterward.

That was absolutely stupid. I’m sure it served as motivation for the Croatians, but the Canadian defense was abominable. I thought they looked weak the first game, but it was laughably bad against Croatia. I feel bad for Alphonso Davies, who looked sharp most of the game. Must be difficult to be such a standout player when your teammates probably wouldn’t make the local pub team.

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:18 am

scbriml wrote:
marcelh wrote:

Not sure I agree with that assessment. Neither team created many chances with only seven shots on target between the two teams.

It was a very great tactical game. Spain owned it in the first 20 minutes, the germans then went back with agressive pressing and fighting (finally, the "Deutsche Tugenden" are back). Generally, the German team was criticised (also by me) of having too many players who only played nice but lacked traditional german mindsets like fighting until the game is over. This certainly wasn't the case today. They fought bravely against a very hard opponent.

Now we must win 8:0 against Costa Rica - even if that is unrealistic, we need to play full offensive against them with everything we have.

scbriml

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:23 pm

The “lesser” teams served up a couple of tasty treats for the neutral in the earlier games:

Cameroon and Serbia served up a seesawing 3-3 draw.

South Korea and Ghana then provided another five-goal thriller with the African’s edging it.

Sadly, the Brazil vs Switzerland game was rather dour, with Brazil struggling to overcome a resolute Swiss side. Switzerland posed very little threat and lacked assurance and quality up front. The Swiss will consider themselves a little unlucky to lose to a deflected shot.

casinterest

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:13 pm

Scary side note to tommorrow's US vs Iran game.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/28/football ... index.html

The families of Iran’s World Cup soccer team have been threatened with imprisonment and torture if the players fail to “behave” ahead of the match against the USA on Tuesday, a source involved in the security of the games said.

Following the refusal of Iranian players to sing the nation’s national anthem in their opening match against England on November 21, the source said that the players were called to a meeting with members of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

The source said that they were told that their families would face “violence and and torture” if they did not sing the national anthem or if they joined any political protest against the Tehran regime.

As for the game it appears to be a close match. Both teams need a win to advance. a draw should get Iran there, unless Wales manages to Beat England,

Going to be a fun set to watch tommorrow in Group B

The US and England are favored.

In Group A Ecuador is favored over Senagal, and the Netherlands are favored over Qatar

scbriml

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:46 pm

Tonight's late kick-off saw Portugal take on Uruguay. While Portugal controlled the first half, Uruguay had the best chance to score but failed. The second half was more even after Uruguay made changes in players and formation. Ronaldo claimed the first goal with a "glancing" header that only he seemed to believe he touched. FIFA has officially given the goal to Fernandes. The game became something of an end-to-end thriller with Uruguay hitting the post before Portugal was awarded a controversial penalty in added time, which Fernandes slotted home.

Portugal go through to the knock-out stages, while Uruguay will need to show more quality to beat Ghana in their last group match. That's a spicy prospect given the controversy surrounding their last encounter in the 2010 World Cup quarter-final.

illinoisman

Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:27 am

Prior to the disaster against Trinidad and Tobago a few years ago, the US's loss to Iran at the 1998 World Cup was surely the most embarrassing loss in team history. Now one Washington Post columnist is openly pulling for another Iran victory.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... nificance/

"I always root for Team USA in any international sporting event. But when it comes to our World Cup match Tuesday against Iran, I think it’s more important our opponents make it to the next round.

The people of Iran are months into nationwide protests demanding fundamental change to the way their country is ruled. At its heart, what’s happening in Iran is a freedom and equality movement. Protesters’ goals are in line with U.S. ideals and liberal values generally, and their success would be a major blow to the worldwide authoritarian wave of recent years. This moment deserves attention, and no global stage is bigger than the World Cup. Billions will be watching. The longer Iran stays in, the more recognition its people and their movement will receive."

Give me a break. If Iran wins, it will help bolster propaganda for the current brutal regime.

apodino

Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:46 am

scbriml wrote:
Tonight's late kick-off saw Portugal take on Uruguay. While Portugal controlled the first half, Uruguay had the best chance to score but failed. The second half was more even after Uruguay made changes in players and formation. Ronaldo claimed the first goal with a "glancing" header that only he seemed to believe he touched. FIFA has officially given the goal to Fernandes. The game became something of an end-to-end thriller with Uruguay hitting the post before Portugal was awarded a controversial penalty in added time, which Fernandes slotted home.

Portugal go through to the knock-out stages, while Uruguay will need to show more quality to beat Ghana in their last group match. That's a spicy prospect given the controversy surrounding their last encounter in the 2010 World Cup quarter-final.

Uruguay played a great second half and had lots of chances, but they just couldn't capitalize and then when the VAR confirmed the handball against them late in the game that was all she wrote. Portugal has the better players but Uruguay showed me something. They may not make it out of group play, but no one should take them lightly.

The most bizarre incident so far took place earlier when the South Korean coach was given a red card after the game. You rarely see coaches get red cards, and I don't think I have ever seen it in the world cup before.

As for the tournament, I am kind of pulling for Messi and Argentina to get it, but France looks great so far as well. Will be interesting to see the rest of group play. My thoughts so far is that the winner will come from a group consisting of France, Argentina, England, Brazil, and Portugal.

NIKV69

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:31 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:

Messi is the world’s most successful player, the most Balon D’or wins. But is he truly the GOAT? One would say he would have to win a World Cup to take that mantle, as his predecessors Pele and Maradona have.

This will be his last chance to do it.

Mbappe is a good player but Messi is the player of his generation. Mbappe already has a World Cup and is a player for the next Gen, but I think most neutrals would at heart love to see Messi hold the cup, if Argentina made it to the final.

I think Messi is overrated. He lays an egg every WC and their group is soft. From the look of it will be another loss for ARG this WC.

scbriml

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:29 am

NIKV69 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

Messi is the world’s most successful player, the most Balon D’or wins. But is he truly the GOAT? One would say he would have to win a World Cup to take that mantle, as his predecessors Pele and Maradona have.

This will be his last chance to do it.

Mbappe is a good player but Messi is the player of his generation. Mbappe already has a World Cup and is a player for the next Gen, but I think most neutrals would at heart love to see Messi hold the cup, if Argentina made it to the final.

I think Messi is overrated. He lays an egg every WC and their group is soft. From the look of it will be another loss for ARG this WC.

Messi certainly isn’t overrated. :shakehead:

He and Ronaldo were clearly the two best footballers of their generation. Both are now past their peak but still making significant contributions. The thing to remember about the Argentina national side is that they’re not as good as Messi’s club teams.

scbriml

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:22 pm

The first pair of final group matches were played out this afternoon with Netherlands seeing off hosts Qatar 2-0 while Senegal beat Ecuador 2-1 to secure their place in the last 16, where they'll face the winners of England's group.

The group B matches this evening are a potentially epic game between USA and Iran and a 'home international' between Wales and England. Technically, all four teams can still go through, so it will be a nervous tim for all the fans involved.

journeyperson

Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:50 pm

scbriml wrote:
The first pair of final group matches were played out this afternoon with Netherlands seeing off hosts Qatar 2-0 while Senegal beat Ecuador 2-1 to secure their place in the last 16, where they'll face the winners of England's group.

The group B matches this evening are a potentially epic game between USA and Iran and a 'home international' between Wales and England. Technically, all four teams can still go through, so it will be a nervous tim for all the fans involved.

It will be a bit of a shock if England don't play Senegal in the next round. But the other tie? My money is on Netherlands v Iran.

casinterest

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:01 pm

US went up 1-0. Heavy Collision by Pulisic and the goalie. At the half we now have a different game.
Iran is no longer protecting an advantage. Iran has to attack now. Iran needs to tie or the win. So far the US had 8 shots on Goal to Iran's 0 shots on goal.

0-0 at the half for England/Wales

casinterest

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:06 pm

US advances to play the Netherlands ( That's going to be a tough one for the US).
England advances to play Senegal.

scbriml

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:59 pm

casinterest wrote:
US advances to play the Netherlands ( That's going to be a tough one for the US).

A very controlled performance by England to comfortably win 3-0. Truth be told, Wales offered very little and even less with the loss of Bale at half-time.

wingman

Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:08 pm

journeyperson wrote:
It will be a bit of a shock if England don't play Senegal in the next round. But the other tie? My money is on Netherlands v Iran.

You didn't lose too much I hope. Deserved win by the US. Cheez-Whiz vs. Howda next.

journeyperson

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:46 pm

wingman wrote:
journeyperson wrote:

You didn't lose too much I hope. Deserved win by the US. Cheez-Whiz vs. Howda next.

No actual bets laid and no easy games now. I think the outcome of Group E will be the most intriguing.

mke717spotter

Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:16 am

casinterest wrote:
US advances to play the Netherlands (That's going to be a tough one for the US).

It just had to be stressful, didn't it? Getting out the group is the expectation so at this point anything else is gravy. And the ghosts of France 1998 have finally been vanquished.

leader1

Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:17 am

wingman wrote:
journeyperson wrote:

They busted their ass. Deserved win. US team is far from the most talented, but they always bring it to the table.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:25 am

casinterest wrote:

Sure is, happy for Senagal what a game!

Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:23 am

casinterest wrote:

Netherlands hasn’t been impressive so far.

NIKV69

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:21 pm

What a goal from Tunisia! 4 defenders on 1 and perfect placement! Then a cheap elbow from France. Bad form.

Snuffaluffagus

Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:56 pm

Wow within 10 seconds France evens it!

Snuffaluffagus

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm

And now I stand corrected

scbriml

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:25 pm

This afternoon's games saw the conclusion of Group D.

Tunisia scored an upset against a French team that wasn't a full strength and didn't look too bothered [fx: gallic shrug]. Unfortunately for Tunisia, that was a wasted effort as Australia saw off an stubborn but blunt Denmark team 1-0 to secure their place in the knock-out stages where they'll meet the winner of Group C while France will face the runner-up from that same group.

Tonight's games will see the conclusion of the aforementioned Group C, with all four teams still able to qualify.

casinterest

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:52 pm

scbriml wrote:
casinterest wrote:

A very controlled performance by England to comfortably win 3-0. Truth be told, Wales offered very little and even less with the loss of Bale at half-time.

Bale was very dynamic in the US match, I think his loss was probably a bit too hard for Wales to recover from.

marcelh wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Netherlands hasn’t been impressive so far.

They are getting more goals in than the US. The US really needs to work on some dynamic scoring. I felt yesterday against IRAN, the first half was looking good. Then the US fell into "prevent D" strategy for the rest of the 2nd have after Pulisic snd Sargent went out.

mke717spotter wrote:
casinterest wrote:
US advances to play the Netherlands (That's going to be a tough one for the US).

It just had to be stressful, didn't it? Getting out the group is the expectation so at this point anything else is gravy. And the ghosts of France 1998 have finally been vanquished.

A win in the round of 16 would be good for this young US team But yes, it is gravy.

AirbusCheerlead

Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:58 pm

Can't belive FIFA's hate against Europe is so strong that they killed "our" rules of the game. As a european watching Champions League, Premier League, La Liga, and Ligue 1, I simply don't know the rules of the game anymore.

Penalty for Portugal against Uruguay:
Falling player putting his hand down on the pitch: never penalty.

Griezmann offside against Tunesia:
Griezmann clearly doesn't play the ball, moves even away from it, defender attemps to clear because french player beside him. Hence new play when Griezmann scores.
(If the goal would habe been disalowed because the defender was pushed, I would have been ok with the ruleling)

Also didn't FIFA breake its own rules for the second time against France?
Can the game realy restart after the Ref's final wisle? (Zidane Red card, I'm convinced, was only seen on TV and not live; Mind you, I think FIFA took the right to break its own rule in this case).

Best regards,
Jonas

Jalap

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:05 pm

Dano1977 wrote:
scbriml wrote:
Another shock - Morocco beats Belgium 2-0. A thoroughly deserved win by Morocco. Belgium looked flat and slow. It seems their golden era is in rapid decline despite still being ranked #2 by FIFA.

This is tuning into a World Cup of shocks.

The problem with Belgium is that their "Golden Generation" has been managed by tactically inept manager. I also think this England squad is the Golden Generation and again managed by a tactically inept manager.

Keep in mind that the "Golden Generation" for a smaller country still is a fairly average generation in most big football nations.
Martinez certainly did something right, to keep it at the No1 spot in the world ranking for so long.

What Belgium is going through now isn't a tactical. It's a headspace thing with the players. They have been almost invincible for years. But the machinery got rusty. Some key players don't have the quality they used to have, have lost reliability. With that came insecurity and doubts, like a virus in the entire team. They are scared to make the action, to give the risky pass.
There are no tactical solutions. Use younger players? Perhaps, but it's not like there's much talent ready to step up. Perhaps letting go of possession and go play counter could be a solution. But it's especially our defensive line that's far less strong compared to a few years ago.

We'll see what happens against Croatia. But I fear there'll be no quick fix for the issues we have. Then again, a win against Croatia could launch the team again...

NIKV69

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:39 pm

If only Messi had made that PK!!! Wow.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:51 pm

Poland was lucky today. Argentina seems to finally be in the tournament.

Quite excited for tomorrow. Hope germany does better.

mke717spotter

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:03 pm

Poland haven't really looked good all tournament, but its the first time in my life they've made it out of the group. They really had to hang on for dear life at the end as another goal for either Argentina or Mexico would've sent them out. Prior to Saudi Arabia's late strike they were on the verge of advancing due to the "fair play" tiebreaker. Hats off to Szczesny for saving a second PK (this one against Messi no less), but I have to say that these VAR decisions are getting out of hand. Isn't the whole point to correct "clear and obvious" errors? If you have to go back to look for a slight nudge or tug then that doesn't make sense to me.

illinoisman wrote:
Prior to the disaster against Trinidad and Tobago a few years ago, the US's loss to Iran at the 1998 World Cup was surely the most embarrassing loss in team history. Now one Washington Post columnist is openly pulling for another Iran victory.

Evidently people back in Iran were celebrating the result.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... d-cup-exit

"When the match was lost, the Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad posted videos of celebrations on Twitter, writing: “Iran is a country where people are very passionate about football. Now they are out in the streets in the city of Sanandaj and celebrate the loss of their football team against US.” She also posted a video of fireworks being let off in Saqqez, Mahsa Amini’s home town."

scbriml

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:24 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
If only Messi had made that PK!!! Wow.

Justice was done because that was never a penalty. As for Messi rolling over like he'd been punched by Mike Tyson.... :sarcastic:

scbriml

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:31 pm

This evening's games saw an improved Argentina win their group (who'd have thought after losing to Saudi Arabia?) and Poland scraping into the last 16 in second place. Mexico's job was always going to be too much and credit to Saudi Arabia for scoring a very nice goal after being under the kosh for long periods. Poland looked very poor and I can't see them offering much against France.

Round of 16 games decided so far:
Match 1: Netherlands vs USA
Match 2: Argentina vs Australia
Match 5: England vs Senegal
Match 6: France vs Poland

NIKV69

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:01 pm

Croatia!!! Belgium played with no heart. Morrocco making a great run.

scbriml

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:07 pm

Croatia progress after drawing 0-0 in one of the poorer games of the tournament. Lukaku came on and could have had a hat-trick, but he's clearly not fit. Croatia reasonably sound at the back and very good in midfield, but offered very little up front. The decline of Belgium has been as swift as it has been surprising.

Shout-out to Morocco who have quietly won the group containing two semi-finalists from the last World Cup.

Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:34 pm

NIKV69 wrote:
Croatia!!! Belgium played with no heart. Morrocco making a great run.

Had Belgium played against Morocco like they did today, Morocco wouldn’t have won.

noviorbis77

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:58 pm

auf wiedersehen Germany

JJJ

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:59 pm

Oh the drama.

That's what WCs are about. Props to Japan for really putting their soul on it.