Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptHadley
Topic Author

RIP Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:56 am

An amazing singer, sang circles around the nasally sounding hack Stevie Nicks. Have to stop putting off some of these bucket list acts

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/30/fleetwoo ... dead-dies/

Vintage

Re: RIP Christine McVie (Fleetwood Mac)

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:37 am

CaptHadley wrote:
An amazing singer, sang circles around the nasally sounding hack Stevie Nicks. Have to stop putting off some of these bucket list acts

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/30/fleetwoo ... dead-dies/
I saw her the last time Fleetwood Mac played in Bay area (with Niel Finn and Mike Campbell): November 2018. I caught them in Sacramento on Friday night and then scored tickets for the Sunday night show in Oakland; they were awesome.

Christine was always a classy woman, great singer and great keyboardist, it was wonderful how she was part of the glue that held that band together. But now Fleetwood Mac is done, they could go on without Lindsey Buckingham, but without Christine, they have reached the end.

BTW
You're badmouthing Stevie Nicks says nothing about Stevie, but it does reveal your bad taste and poor manners.

NIKV69

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:54 am

A truly sad day, one of the greatest bands. At least with youtube we can still watch their magic.

LCDFlight

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:32 am

Thanks for starting a thread on this. It’s funny that many of us here somehow share a taste in music (or a hobby, or an age). Christine McVie was easily the heart of that band. Amazing, unmistakable singer… hit songwriter…. Graceful and down to earth. she made a triumphant comeback to rave reviews before she died. She made it look easy. Maybe it was! RIP

Aaron747

Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:01 am

Oh man what a blow...my mom played FMac constantly in the car growing up. Off to watch the ‘Little Lies’ music video immediately...

astuteman

Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:59 am

Very sad to hear this. I love Fleetwood Mac, and Christine's vocals were pure honey.

Little known fact - she was born in the tiny village of Bouth, (then in Lancashire, but now in Cumbria since the 1971 county boundary shifts) - about 5 miles from where I live.
And nobody from around here seems to know.
I find that really sad

edit - the wiki page for Bouth does mention her ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouth

Rgds

Kiwirob

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:20 am

Vintage wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

BTW
You're badmouthing Stevie Nicks says nothing about Stevie, but it does reveal your bad taste and poor manners.

Seconded!

Without Nicks and Buckingham Fleetwood Mac wouldn't have the same following they do today.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:15 am

I saw all of them live in Birmingham a few years ago, was an incredible show. They still had so much energy and sounded great.

Christine even performed Songbird live during the show, which was our wedding song.

johns624

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:12 am

I may be one of the few here who prefer the old R&B based Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green.
In a first, I actually agree with what CaptHadley said.
Here's a couple of their best--Green Manalishi and Oh Well Pts 1&2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTvKaLW5bu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b19PcuJsQbA

Braybuddy

Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:54 am

I first heard her on Chicken Shack's version of I'd Rather go Blind back in 1969, but she was Christine Perfect then. Loved the track, and I must've been one of my first purchases.

Beautiful singer. RIP.

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:38 pm

In regards to my Stevie comment. I was kidding, merely poking fun at another member here. I’ve seen her twice, she’s a great singer.

N14AZ

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:16 pm

Wow, very sad. 79 is a little bit young for a woman. I wonder what they mean with „following a short illness“.

NIKV69 wrote:
A truly sad day, one of the greatest bands. At least with youtube we can still watch their magic.

So true. Just found this treasure:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eLRyYETno ... e=youtu.be

R. I.P., your music will be here until the sun eats the earth.

luckyone

Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:56 pm

A genuine loss. Fleetwood Mac would not have worked without her.

stlgph

Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:59 pm

Yes, this one definitely sucks and damn you Sirius XM for blasting the hell out of her songs all the time for the past 2 days - I'm still sad about it.

I saw The Dance tour in 1997 and then was sad of her departure afterwards and saw the next 3 Fleetwood Mac tours sans McVie - they were good, but it was definitely still missing something. When they reunited in 2014, I was in Minneapolis for the first show - now I love me some Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham but that night I sat near where Christine was on the stage - there was just some type of happiness among all 13,000 or so of us when she came back on stage and then took the second song.

I also saw her pairing with Buckingham for the Buckingham McVie outing in 2017 - what a terrific album and tour. Was happy she was still writing some really awesome songs. It's a shame her 1984 solo album didn't lead to further things - I honestly think she did well with her songs when paired with Buckingham as her producer.

But yes, her death sadly is the final nail in the coffin for the great Fleetwood Mac - which managed to survived when so many other bands didn't. From what I gather they were pretty close to having an agreement of coming together for just a handful of shows and then wrapping it up.

casinterest

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:14 pm

Still my favorite version of the Chain I have found out there on You tube.

They all sound so good in this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGykwC0fdJ4

RIP Christine.

Max Q

Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:50 am

A great loss, she was a beautifully talented singer in an epic, legendary band

As was and is Stevie Nicks

OzarkD9S

Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:10 am

I was 10 when "Fleetwood Mac" was released in the summer of '75. Friends and I lived at the community pool in our small town and the radio station played on the loudspeakers basically treated the whole album as one long 45. Bought the album as soon as I saved enough money from my weekly allowance and fell in love with Christine just from the album photos. The woman wrote hit after hit after hit for years. Her body may be gone but she is immortal. Godspeed Songbird.

Max Q

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:46 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
I was 10 when "Fleetwood Mac" was released in the summer of '75. Friends and I lived at the community pool in our small town and the radio station played on the loudspeakers basically treated the whole album as one long 45. Bought the album as soon as I saved enough money from my weekly allowance and fell in love with Christine just from the album photos. The woman wrote hit after hit after hit for years. Her body may be gone but she is immortal. Godspeed Songbird.

+1

Well said, what a huge loss