Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:31 pm

In other news, water is wet. Not sure how this family handles all the winning they do on a daily basis. Not to worry, emails are currently going out asking for donations to help fight the radical left persecuting them.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/06/politics ... index.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

casinterest

Re: Trump organization guilty, shocker..

Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:53 pm

15 years of crimes, and people will still think Trump and his kids did no wrong.

Maybe Congress can hurry it up on his tax records so we can see what other Fraud is out there.

dampfnudel

Re: Trump Organization found guilty on all counts of criminal tax fraud

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:14 am

Like usual, the lawyers will be the biggest winners in the end.

LabQuest

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:16 am

The fine is just over a million and a half dollars. This is a joke.

ThePointblank

Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:07 am

The biggest effect is the conviction for fraud and/or tax evasion. No lender will go near Trump or his companies now, as lending to an entity/individual with a fraud conviction or a federal tax lien is not considered "sound banking practice" in the eyes of the bank's risk management and regulators. If they have loans open with Trump, they would be looking to either call the loans in, or refusing to refinance the loans when they come due.

seb146

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:15 am

Don't his tax returns show he is like billions in debt?

Virtual737

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:06 am

seb146 wrote:
Don't his tax returns show he is like billions in debt?

Trump knows tax returns. People say he has some of the most bigly tax returns ever.Trump doesn't respect your tax returns and that would qualify as not smart, but genius... and a very stable genius at that!

Covfefe

Dutchy

Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:54 am

casinterest wrote:
15 years of crimes, and people will still think Trump and his kids did no wrong.

Maybe Congress can hurry it up on his tax records so we can see what other Fraud is out there.

15years? Seems to be a lot longer than that. Scandals: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

stratosphere

Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:23 am

CaptHadley wrote:
In other news, water is wet. Not sure how this family handles all the winning they do on a daily basis. Not to worry, emails are currently going out asking for donations to help fight the radical left persecuting them.

They spent 300 million to prosecute a crime that will net them a 1.6 million dollars in fines. Sounds like a win to me * eye roll *

flipdewaf

Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:28 am

stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

They spent 300 million to prosecute a crime that will net them a 1.6 million dollars in fines. Sounds like a win to me * eye roll *

So murders should have no money spent investigating because the ROI is effectively 0?

Fred

art

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:00 pm

stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Are you suggesting that potential tax frauds should not be investigated if the fine is unlikely to cover the cost of the investigation?

I would interested to know the size of the fraud in dollars. Studied a bit of law many eons ago in the UK. I think that at that time the law said that if you cheat on your tax and are convicted, you (a) have to pay the tax owing (b) twice that again. What kind of deterrent system is there in US?

ltbewr

Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:16 pm

ThePointblank wrote:
The biggest effect is the conviction for fraud and/or tax evasion. No lender will go near Trump or his companies now, as lending to an entity/individual with a fraud conviction or a federal tax lien is not considered "sound banking practice" in the eyes of the bank's risk management and regulators. If they have loans open with Trump, they would be looking to either call the loans in, or refusing to refinance the loans when they come due.

This conviction has also opened up the financials of a private company to the city, state and Federal government tax authorities, to go after the Trump Organization and hopefully Donald Trump himself. Along with other factors, it will hurt the values of his real estate properties, his 'name' is near worthless (but with certain middle eastern investors), may increase his debt load with higher interest rates due to the risk. I wonder how long before the Trump Org, its entities and DT himself file for Bankruptcy.

casinterest

Wed Dec 07, 2022 3:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:

15years? Seems to be a lot longer than that. Scandals: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

I was going with the Trump Org charges in this case. But no doubt there is a lot more going on especially with property valuation for tax purposes.

art wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Are you suggesting that potential tax frauds should not be investigated if the fine is unlikely to cover the cost of the investigation?

I would interested to know the size of the fraud in dollars. Studied a bit of law many eons ago in the UK. I think that at that time the law said that if you cheat on your tax and are convicted, you (a) have to pay the tax owing (b) twice that again. What kind of deterrent system is there in US?

Just think of the opportunity costs to other people that Trump.,org perpetrated within the company and within the Tax code.
There are millions of costs still to be explored.

I highly doubt the 300 million number. Seems like something Right Wing fake news would throw out.

wingman

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:53 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

So murders should have no money spent investigating because the ROI is effectively 0?

Fred

When you're thinking to yourself "who would really vote for Trump after he shot a baby on live TV while groping the camera woman?"..this is one of them. These same people will say that just like the burning of the Constitution remarks, Trump's tax filings were simply misunderstood. In caveman times this faction would've insisted on square wheels for a hundred years after the first neanderthal stumbled upon the circle.

ER757

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:59 pm

How long until Donald comes out with the inevitable statement that he's being unfairly targeted, the courts are rigged against him, this is just another witch hunt, etc. I'll say before end of the week

luckyone

Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:11 pm

ER757 wrote:
How long until Donald comes out with the inevitable statement that he's being unfairly targeted, the courts are rigged against him, this is just another witch hunt, etc. I'll say before end of the week

Hasn't that already happened...like half a dozen times?

stratosphere

Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:21 pm

flipdewaf wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Fred

This isn't murder

ReverseFlow

Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:35 pm

stratosphere wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Fred

This isn't murder
So crimes shouldn't be investigated because they mostly aren't worth it financially?

Just think how much a prisoner costs (unless your prison is a sweatshop).

LMP737

Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:59 pm

You know what's going to come of this? Nothing, he has already proven he's above the law.

ACDC8

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:25 pm

stratosphere wrote:

If someone is convicted of committing a crime, then yes, it is a win.

bhill

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:31 pm

" However, a felony conviction could impact its ability to do business or obtain loans or contracts." This rhat here is the most important part of the sentencing...

petertenthije

Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:45 pm

bhill wrote:
" However, a felony conviction could impact its ability to do business or obtain loans or contracts." This rhat here is the most important part of the sentencing...

So what? He already had to go to dubious lenders in Russia and the middle-east anyway, because western banks won’t touch him with a barge pole.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/12/21/ho ... -business/

CaptHadley
Topic Author

Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:26 pm

stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Hey champ, show me where they spent 300 million. I can show you where they spent 7 million to investigate Hillary and came up with, checks notes, absolutely nothing.

seb146

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:27 pm

A company with his name on it breaks the law and look how many are defending him and his company. Not only that, but when the same thing happens to a "liberal" these same MAGAs are screaming the leader of the company must be held accountable. Who will be held accountable for these crimes? Either some underling or they will simply move money around and write it off as a business expense. And still be praised by the base. For committing crimes.

dmg626

Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:35 pm

All the self righteous rejoicing, but who of us has never cheated on their taxes? Well maybe just a little, but when I do it it’s ok, just a few dollars here and there, right? Billion dollars corporations just do it on a higher level. They got caught, pay the man. We get caught, same thing

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:20 pm

dmg626 wrote:
All the self righteous rejoicing, but who of us has never cheated on their taxes? Well maybe just a little, but when I do it it’s ok, just a few dollars here and there, right? Billion dollars corporations just do it on a higher level. They got caught, pay the man. We get caught, same thing

The problem here is, that this is just another version of "not paying taxes makes me smart". But not for someone running for President, or being President.

Presidents have always released their tax returns, to show they are compliant with the law and have paid their fair share. It's a justifiable expectation of the American public.

It also shows any financial interests or influences they may have. For that reason, Presidents have also put their investments into trusts, while they are President.

Except for Trump. And now we know why.

GDB

Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:27 pm

dmg626 wrote:

The problem here is, that this is just another version of "not paying taxes makes me smart". But not for someone running for President, or being President.

Presidents have always released their tax returns, to show they are compliant with the law and have paid their fair share. It's a justifiable expectation of the American public.

It also shows any financial interests or influences they may have. For that reason, Presidents have also put their investments into trusts, while they are President.

Except for Trump. And now we know why.

Certainly have since the other GOP criminal President, Nixon, who unwisely boasted on tape how he could get hold of a million $ to cover things up.
If the person above thinks 'we all do it' go ahead, try it, see what only being a MAGA apologist and not actually a rich kid from a corrupt family with all their influence and financial means get you.
At the very least a fine, or more.

seb146

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:10 am

dmg626 wrote:

Those at the high end of the tax brackets have accountants and lawyers who can "justify" $1000 a night hotel rooms for a month and $500 dinners. Those of us at the bottom pray to our chosen deity that we do not get audited for claiming $5 in McDonalds for lunch that one time. Hardly "both sides do it".

PhilBy

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:45 pm

I suspect that many "poor people" have never tried to cheat the sytem because they can't afford the lawyers to explain that the tax department was mistaken. After all in the anglo-saxon conquistorial legal system truth is subserviant to lawyers fees.

Vintage

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:49 pm

PhilBy wrote:
I suspect that many "poor people" have never tried to cheat the sytem because they can't afford the lawyers to explain that the tax department was mistaken. After all in the anglo-saxon conquistorial legal system truth is subserviant to lawyers fees.
"anglo-saxon conquistorial legal system"!
I like that description as it is completely accurate. The 'anglo-saxon' system doesn't even attempt to find the truth. It just declares guilt or not guilt (it doesn't proclaim innocence.)

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:17 pm

stratosphere wrote:
flipdewaf wrote:
stratosphere wrote:

Fred

This isn't murder

Don't investigate crimes unless you can make money doing it is...an interesting choice of things to say out loud

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:49 pm

Trump and his attorney Alina Habba are in trouble again with the court, this time for demonstrably false statements made in defense of the Trump Organization civil lawsuit. The New York Attorney General has requested sanctions.

Trump has claimed at various times, that he both was and wasn't president of the Trump Organization, in trying to limit his liability.

https://lawandcrime.com/trump/new-york- ... raud-suit/

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... no-483.pdf

seb146

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm

Trump and his attorney Alina Habba are in trouble again with the court, this time for demonstrably false statements made in defense of the Trump Organization civil lawsuit. The New York Attorney General has requested sanctions.

Trump has claimed at various times, that he both was and wasn't president of the Trump Organization, in trying to limit his liability.

https://lawandcrime.com/trump/new-york- ... raud-suit/

https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... no-483.pdf

Doesn't lying under oath carry a greater penalty than just sanctions? He can run to Putin to pay off the sanctions.

scbriml

Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:43 am

Short clip of Trump pleading 5th to every question during two hours of questioning.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-64394860

Aesma

Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:49 am

dmg626 wrote:

I have never cheated on my taxes, but if someone say underreported their income, forgot to mention some unusual sum they got (winning at poker or something), or maybe did it on purpose but something similar that can pass for a mistake, it's not the same as setting up a whole complex construction that appears legal, whose only purpose is to cheat the taxman.

Phosphorus

Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:50 pm

Aesma wrote:
dmg626 wrote:

I have never cheated on my taxes, but if someone say underreported their income, forgot to mention some unusual sum they got (winning at poker or something), or maybe did it on purpose but something similar that can pass for a mistake, it's not the same as setting up a whole complex construction that appears legal, whose only purpose is to cheat the taxman.

US Tax Code is a legendary labyrinth. It's built of all kinds of exepmtions and rulings. Of course folk want to take advantage, so it's becoming ever more labyrinthine, as authorities are trying close new loopholes, while loath of doing away with existing crumbling labyrinth. As the joke went, "behind every exemption, there's a group of voting public, absolutely essential to their representative and senator".
So, scrapping the whole mess is hopeless.

I remember a radical proposal, many moons ago. The idea was that every individual in the US would be given a choice -- to continue with the existing system (filing tax returns, looking for exemptions, etc.)
Or just send a postcard, agreeing to pay a fixed tax amount on all their income (which could conveniently be set around average US tax rate -- something like ~15%, or what was it), and mail a cheque, or demand refund, based on that.
Of course, the proposal was too radical, and was immediately dismissed as lunacy. How dare they, putting incredible amounts of high-paid tax and legal professionals, out of work?

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:34 pm

This is perhaps a more suitable thread:

AFP writes this on twitter:

#BREAKING Trump says expecting 'arrest' on Tuesday, calls for protests

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1637067943535079424

*Edit CNN says :

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/18/poli ... index.html

Former President Donald Trump said Saturday he expects to be arrested in connection with the investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney next week and called for protests as a result.

In a social media post on Saturday, Trump, referring to himself, said the “leading Republican candidate and former president of the United States will be arrested on Tuesday of next week.”

phatfarmlines

Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:59 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

*Edit CNN says :

Former President Donald Trump said Saturday he expects to be arrested in connection with the investigation by the Manhattan District Attorney next week and called for protests as a result.

In a social media post on Saturday, Trump, referring to himself, said the “leading Republican candidate and former president of the United States will be arrested on Tuesday of next week.”

Nothing like announcing an upcoming arrest, especially given that next week will be a peak Spring Break week. I wonder what the motivation is for that :stirthepot:

ltbewr

Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:50 pm

I thought he might fight extradition from Florida for the NY State/Manhattan DA case as to the illegal payout to Stormy Daniels. He has already gone online to bash the apparent charges with his usual word salads and bashes of everyone but himself. Guess he is going to use it for a 'I am a victim' rally, creating a potentially violent scene, calling for pro-Trump protesters when he apparently will appear for arrest and arraignment next week. The scene when he shows up and leaves will be bigger than 'the Chase' with OJ Simpson almost 30 years ago. You know his arrest mug shot will be on the front page of every newspaper, website and become a huge meme.

Of course many of Trump's defenders say this is all a witch hunt by Democrats and that Ms. Daniels extorted a payment to not blab about their encounter should be facing charges too. Lets also not forget that Trump will likely try to delay or tie up any possible trial proceedings for as long as possible, likely into next years Presidential Primary season, use it for fund raising from his fool supporters. It is also possible, as would only take one juror, to not be convicted.

Sadly, I wish he was facing charges for his many other crimes, including for the Georgia election fixing attempt, causing the deaths of 100's of 1000's more from his horrible malfeasance with the Covid-19 Pandemic and causing the mob terror attack on the US Capitol on 1/6/21, but I guess this will have to do for now and proves what an idiot he is. .

hh65man

Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:28 pm

We’ll, what would they say about his possibly pending arrest here down under, poor diddums…. I just don’t have any sympathy for the fella…

luckyone

Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:53 pm

ltbewr wrote:
I thought he might fight extradition from Florida for the NY State/Manhattan DA case as to the illegal payout to Stormy Daniels. He has already gone online to bash the apparent charges with his usual word salads and bashes of everyone but himself. Guess he is going to use it for a 'I am a victim' rally, creating a potentially violent scene, calling for pro-Trump protesters when he apparently will appear for arrest and arraignment next week. The scene when he shows up and leaves will be bigger than 'the Chase' with OJ Simpson almost 30 years ago. You know his arrest mug shot will be on the front page of every newspaper, website and become a huge meme.

Of course many of Trump's defenders say this is all a witch hunt by Democrats and that Ms. Daniels extorted a payment to not blab about their encounter should be facing charges too. Lets also not forget that Trump will likely try to delay or tie up any possible trial proceedings for as long as possible, likely into next years Presidential Primary season, use it for fund raising from his fool supporters. It is also possible, as would only take one juror, to not be convicted.

Sadly, I wish he was facing charges for his many other crimes, including for the Georgia election fixing attempt, causing the deaths of 100's of 1000's more from his horrible malfeasance with the Covid-19 Pandemic and causing the mob terror attack on the US Capitol on 1/6/21, but I guess this will have to do for now and proves what an idiot he is. .

Don’t forget, there’s things a crook should be charged for, and then there’s charges that will stick. To this day everybody knows about Al Capone’s racket. But he was convicted on something as dry as tax evasion. You charge what sticks.

hh65man

Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:13 pm

luckyone wrote:
ltbewr wrote:

Don’t forget, there’s things a crook should be charged for, and then there’s charges that will stick. To this day everybody knows about Al Capone’s racket. But he was convicted on something as dry as tax evasion. You charge what sticks.

No doubt, the ol KISS phrase comes to mind. Time to sit back and watch the show.

zkojq

Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:32 pm

He's going to be arrested? But for which crime? So many to choose from.....

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:50 pm

art wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
CaptHadley wrote:

Here’s the problem with this. Real estate developers and family business owners commonly do everything Trump did. The charges against him were common tax dodging schemes. Trump wasn’t chosen for prosecution because of that. He was chosen for prosecution because people didn’t like his speeches when he ran for president, and as president.

It Trump has not run and offended the powerful, there is zero chance he would have been charged after 40 years of these practices.

This is selective prosecution that amounts to a power grab by a set of wealthy interests. I wish it were not so transparently clear, but it is. And he’s probably guilty - not disputing that.

Newark727

Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:56 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Here’s the problem with this. Real estate developers and family business owners commonly do everything Trump did. The charges against him were common tax dodging schemes. Trump wasn’t chosen for prosecution because of that. He was chosen for prosecution because people didn’t like his speeches when he ran for president, and as president.

It Trump has not run and offended the powerful, there is zero chance he would have been charged after 40 years of these practices.

This is selective prosecution that amounts to a power grab by a set of wealthy interests. I wish it were not so transparently clear, but it is. And he’s probably guilty - not disputing that.

Then the solution, from the point of view of the "party of law and order," isn't to let Trump off the hook, but to prosecute everyone who does this, isn't it?

LCDFlight

Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:59 pm

Newark727 wrote:
LCDFlight wrote:

Then the solution, from the point of view of the "party of law and order," isn't to let Trump off the hook, but to prosecute everyone who does this, isn't it?

Yes, but even if they do that, the decision to charge Trump first is sort of improper. That’s not how “prosecuting” is supposed to work. It is another sign of creeping “banana republic” status, where opposing parties jail/hospitalize each other.

Newark727

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:02 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Yes, but even if they do that, the decision to charge Trump first is sort of improper. That’s not how “prosecuting” is supposed to work. It is another sign of creeping “banana republic” status, where opposing parties jail/hospitalize each other.

Isn't the president being effectively outside the reach of the law an even greater symptom of that problem, though? The lesser evil really does seem to be holding him to account here, in that case.

Tugger

Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:18 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:

*Edit CNN says :

He's so full of crap, just begging for attention, desperately trying to seem as if non-Republican opponents find him a threat. He HATES being seen that way. He's trying to invent something that doesn't exist as no one relevant has said they are going to do this.

If anything the most devious thing to do is perhaps try him in absentia. Because who needs him? Unlike Capone, he's basically harmless (except to his party).

Tugg

N14AZ

Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:08 pm

Good grief! Is there any way to get rid of this loser? Mankind has so many real problems. We simply cannot waste our energy on this attention seeking clown.

ER757

Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:16 pm

zkojq wrote:
He's going to be arrested? But for which crime? So many to choose from.....

Can only hope this is the first domino to fall and others will follow. Maybe Georgia will get it together and put out a warrant as well (for his attempted election tampering) and maybe DC can jump in and charge him with inciting a riot Jan 6th. Then we'd have to cling to a faint hope that an impartial jury could be assembled and he gets convicted of at least one of his myriad crimes. I have to wonder how many Republicans truly want this guy as their standard bearer. The recent polls seem to show it's a lot of them, but no one answering those polls is casting a vote until next year, so they can say whatever. I have to believe the adults will finally show up and put a stop to this nonsense in the primaries, preventing this clown from getting the nomination.