Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - 2023

Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:57 am

Welcome to the COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - 2023. Please continue to add your comments below.

Link to last thread:

COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - 2022

ShanghaiNoon

Re: COVID-19 Non Aviation Thread - 2023

Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:58 am

The Zero-Covid policy is officially done in China. Everyone I know either has it or got it in the last month. We don't even have to self-isolate anymore. Fever clinics and hospitals have all been overrun with patients. The borders will totally re-open on January 8th.

mad99

Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:52 am

ShanghaiNoon wrote:
The Zero-Covid policy is officially done in China. Everyone I know either has it or got it in the last month. We don't even have to self-isolate anymore. Fever clinics and hospitals have all been overrun with patients. The borders will totally re-open on January 8th.

To me it seems like a mistake to go completely no restrictions. From what I’ve read, China’s population has a low vaccine rate. We’ll see.

I ran a 10k on new year’s eve, first time since the start of covid and it feels like old times. Also had the whole family in the house for the first time since covid started.

ShanghaiNoon

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:09 pm

mad99 wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:

To me it seems like a mistake to go completely no restrictions. From what I’ve read, China’s population has a low vaccine rate. We’ll see.

Covid was already running rampant. Their restrictions simply weren't working anymore.

TriJets

Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:41 pm

Well, I was able to avoid COVID for the entire pandemic until now. Tested positive after being exposed at work. Have had four COVID shots total (primary series plus two boosters, all Pfizer), which I credit for keeping my case manageable (knock on wood) so far. Had two days of a low-grade fever and sore throat. After those two days, my symptoms largely resolved. Fever has been gone for two days and my only lingering symptom is some very mild head congestion when I wake up. Still testing positive and still isolating for the CDC recommended period.

ShanghaiNoon

Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:04 pm

I had two doses of Sinopharm and one of CanSino Biologics. I only had a runny nose.

stratosphere

Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:59 pm

TriJets wrote:
Well, I was able to avoid COVID for the entire pandemic until now. Tested positive after being exposed at work. Have had four COVID shots total (primary series plus two boosters, all Pfizer), which I credit for keeping my case manageable (knock on wood) so far. Had two days of a low-grade fever and sore throat. After those two days, my symptoms largely resolved. Fever has been gone for two days and my only lingering symptom is some very mild head congestion when I wake up. Still testing positive and still isolating for the CDC recommended period.

I just really think the vaccines are not the right way to go anymore. Most experts thought that this virus would calm down and proceed much like the flu but COVID keeps mutating at an incredible rate and getting around any vaccine protections. I think more research should be invested in antivirals like Paxlovid and just deal with virus that way. I have been lucky I have still managed to avoid COVID but most everyone I know has had it some have had it multiple times. I took the first two original doses of Moderna and one booster once I saw the protections do not last very long and that the mutations keep evolving to evade vaccine protection I said no more vaccines for me. Thankfully for most people COVID has evolved to a less lethal virus even if more contagious.

StarAC17

Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:19 am

stratosphere wrote:
TriJets wrote:

I just really think the vaccines are not the right way to go anymore. Most experts thought that this virus would calm down and proceed much like the flu but COVID keeps mutating at an incredible rate and getting around any vaccine protections. I think more research should be invested in antivirals like Paxlovid and just deal with virus that way. I have been lucky I have still managed to avoid COVID but most everyone I know has had it some have had it multiple times. I took the first two original doses of Moderna and one booster once I saw the protections do not last very long and that the mutations keep evolving to evade vaccine protection I said no more vaccines for me. Thankfully for most people COVID has evolved to a less lethal virus even if more contagious.

I don't think there is evidence that it's mutating at an unprecedented rate. The vaccine does provide enough protection that it's a mild case or even an asymptomatic one. I bet you are in this group, you got it without knowing it or mistook for a cold.

The vaccine doesn't provide sterilizing immunity and neither does natural infection. This is consistent with the common cold (30% of which are endemic coronaviruses) and the flu. The flu shot has never provided sterilizing immunity either. Covid is behaving more like an endemic virus where you will get cell mediated immunity to protect against serious infection for most people. An annual shit is probably acceptable going forward.

It will still kill some elderly and compromised people and so does the flu.

The only thing that brings us back to square one is if the virus becomes something entirely novel again. I have not seen evidence that this is happening.

Newark727

Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:02 am

StarAC17 wrote:
An annual shit is probably acceptable going forward.

You may not be getting enough fiber in your diet

TriJets

Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:50 am

StarAC17 wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
TriJets wrote:

I don't think there is evidence that it's mutating at an unprecedented rate. The vaccine does provide enough protection that it's a mild case or even an asymptomatic one. I bet you are in this group, you got it without knowing it or mistook for a cold.

The vaccine doesn't provide sterilizing immunity and neither does natural infection. This is consistent with the common cold (30% of which are endemic coronaviruses) and the flu. The flu shot has never provided sterilizing immunity either. Covid is behaving more like an endemic virus where you will get cell mediated immunity to protect against serious infection for most people. An annual shit is probably acceptable going forward.

It will still kill some elderly and compromised people and so does the flu.

The only thing that brings us back to square one is if the virus becomes something entirely novel again. I have not seen evidence that this is happening.

I am fine having a mild infection; I am surprised that I avoided it this long as I actively work with COVID patients (of course, I always wear an N95). My concern now is about some of the complications of COVID, such as myocarditis or clots, etc. I have searched and have been unable to find any information about if these effects are less prevalent with omicron or if the vaccines help limit these complications amongst people who are up to date with their shots.

leader1

Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:36 am

ShanghaiNoon wrote:

It had to end. My WeChat feed was overflowing with complaints over the policy, which is surprising because it was initially pretty supportive over it. Most of the expat colleagues living in Shanghai left because they couldn’t take it anymore. Even some Chinese friends based in Shanghai went to other cities that weren’t as affected by the lockdowns. It was too much for too long.

StarAC17

Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:24 am

Newark727 wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:
An annual shit is probably acceptable going forward.

You may not be getting enough fiber in your diet

Note to self.
Avoid posting on my phone. Too many typos.

StarAC17

Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:59 pm

An argument to use boosters sparingly going forward. As I said before if you are going to get Covid boosters you should be getting an annual SHOT. Not one every few months. I have seen recommendations every 90 days which is way to much.

Over vaccination has the potential to put evolutionary pressure on the virus to evade the protections from vaccination, this is natural selection in real time. The variants are also evading antiviral drugs.

Add to that China's vaccines are leakier than ours in the west. This is natural selection in real time and is similar to anti-biotic resistant bacteria. The good news is that the vaccines still provide strong protection against severe illness and death.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/are-vaccin ... 1672483618

This has a paywall.

ShanghaiNoon

Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:36 am

leader1 wrote:
ShanghaiNoon wrote:

It had to end. My WeChat feed was overflowing with complaints over the policy, which is surprising because it was initially pretty supportive over it. Most of the expat colleagues living in Shanghai left because they couldn’t take it anymore. Even some Chinese friends based in Shanghai went to other cities that weren’t as affected by the lockdowns. It was too much for too long.

The Chinese people finally realized that the government never had any intention of ending Zero-Covid. They would have persisted with it but it totally collapsed last November.

stratosphere

Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:21 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
An argument to use boosters sparingly going forward. As I said before if you are going to get Covid boosters you should be getting an annual SHOT. Not one every few months. I have seen recommendations every 90 days which is way to much.

Over vaccination has the potential to put evolutionary pressure on the virus to evade the protections from vaccination, this is natural selection in real time. The variants are also evading antiviral drugs.

Add to that China's vaccines are leakier than ours in the west. This is natural selection in real time and is similar to anti-biotic resistant bacteria. The good news is that the vaccines still provide strong protection against severe illness and death.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/are-vaccin ... 1672483618

This has a paywall.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my previous post. There are way too many boosters being pushed to the point that not many people want to mess with it anymore. It all started with very poor messaging right from the start with the if you get the vaccine you won't get COVID and that COVID was the virus of the unvaccinated. That lie right there turned a lot of people like me who were never anti vax to become anti vax. Like I heard a comedian say once "If I got my dog a rabies shot every few months and he still got rabies I would be asking some questions" .

af773atmsp

Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:20 am

I'm considering traveling to Taipei in June but I'm confused by the "7-day self-initiated prevention policy." If I travel there, and assuming that policy is still in effect in June, does that mean I would be required to stay in Taipei for 7 days before traveling outside Taiwan?

I know Taiwan has dropped quarantine requirements but this new policy seems like a light-quarantine.

SQ22
Topic Author

Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:42 am

af773atmsp wrote:
I'm considering traveling to Taipei in June but I'm confused by the "7-day self-initiated prevention policy." If I travel there, and assuming that policy is still in effect in June, does that mean I would be required to stay in Taipei for 7 days before traveling outside Taiwan?

I know Taiwan has dropped quarantine requirements but this new policy seems like a light-quarantine.

Please see:

Taiwan to end quarantine and adopt 7-day self-initiated prevention policy for arrivals on October 13

My understanding is you just have to do the rapid test and as long as your test result is negative there are no issues, so you do not have to stay seven days. As long as there are no more issues I think we can expect a further relaxation in spring, so I would think in June the rules will be less strict.

c933103

Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:28 am

af773atmsp wrote:

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/Category/QAPage/ ... RFPS1dRliw
You can leave Taiwan within that 7 days.
What need to be observed within the 7 days are:
- Live in a room at either hotel or home, which is not shared with people who aren't under same measure
- You can head out any time you want, but you need to carry an antigen test negative result before proceeding, and the antigen test negative result must be either of the same day or from the day before, in addition to having no symptoms. Although it is not necessary to report the result.
- An antigen test should also be done on first day of arrival.
- When taking public transit, mask wearing, carrying alcohol/other disinfectant for hand cleaning, are also needed.
- And while taking public transit, "try not to" contact at-risk group at close distance, having foods inside vehicles [when necessary, passengers should continue masking after having foods], and move to less crowded part of trains/etc. during peak hour.

c933103

Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:44 am

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/ ... ccines-us/
US offered to send mRNA vaccine in a way that would accomodate political sensitivity of accepting foreign aid in China, but China reportedly turned that down too. Chinese government claim they have adequate vaccine supply.

ShanghaiNoon

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:30 pm

China makes BioNTech vaccines. They problem is that they ship them to Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan

c933103

Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:59 pm

https://twitter.com/bbcchinese/status/1 ... 2246262786
China opted against including Paxlovid into oublic health insurance coverage citing its high price, instead added its hime grown HIV antiviral, and also herbal powders, into the list of medicines

c933103

Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:07 pm

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/8fc72 ... 4db8b77ff3
It's revealed that, despite China officially claiming no visa for nationals of sone Asian countries, there are unwritten exemption in Japan that grant Chinese visa to Japanese nationals who have received invitation letter from Chinese government department

c933103

Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:09 am

https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUA ... 0C2000000/

Japan expected to downgrade Coronavirus to Category 5, aka same as regular flu, from around May, as Japan's PM ordered evaluation for doing so.
After reclassification, there will be no more legal basis for Japanese government to request emergency covid measure or quarantine of infected person, masking will not be required, but on the other hand covid pills will no longer be free and covid vaccine might also need to charge money like other vaccines.

c933103

Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:03 am

https://approach.yahoo.co.jp/r/QUyHCH?s ... eview=auto
Japan officially announced COVID will be downgraded to Category 5, same as seasonal flu, from May 8, in case no further major outbreak and such by April
Cutback of public funding on COVID treatment and medical dacilities amid the reclassification will be done progressively. COVID pills might remain free for now since they are acquired by government.
Relaxation of masking guideline will be considered in parallel
It was previously announced that coronavirus vaccine will tentatively remain free.

https://mainichi.jp/premier/business/ar ... 00c?inb=ys
The reclassification is expected to bring more than 1 Trillion Yen benefit to Japanese economy.

c933103

Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:52 am

TV: In Hong Kong, government say it would be illegal for restaurants and clinics to reject those infected with coronavirus since that is discrimination

c933103

Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:19 pm

Japan vaccine maker prepare for ability to produce 20M dose mRNA corona vaccines annually by FY2024
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUC ... 2A2000000/

Toenga

Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:25 pm

h
c933103 wrote:
Japan vaccine maker prepare for ability to produce 20M dose mRNA corona vaccines annually by FY2024
https://www.nikkei.com/article/DGXZQOUC ... 2A2000000/

Thanks c933103 for your continual updates of developments in Far East Asia.
With the huge population in that part of the world, what happens there, can rapidly spill over to affect our own communities.

Here in the Antipodes, covid has taken a remarkably similar path in both NZ and Australia.
Heavily restricted borders and area lockdowns to suppress local outbreaks minimised spread, and deaths, until the vaccination campaigns were very largely completed. This was late 2021 early 2022. Then these extreme control measures were relaxed just as the much more infectious Omicron arrived.
A varient so infectious, that previous control methods would have been largely ineffective.

Since then our very largely vaccinated populations have experienced 3 waves of declining severity, hospitalisation numbers and deaths. The first was immediately after the relaxation of controls February March 2022. The next mid winter July August and the last peaked about Christmas Day.

This last wave was characterised by relitvely high infection rates of middle aged /elderly that had prior effectively shielded. So death rates were relatively elevated. And it was characterised by reinfections now approaching 50% of all cases.

Were those very onerous restrictions worth it?
The relitive performances of both the Australian and NZ economy since the start of the pandemic suggest that it was.
The very modest death rates and changes to life expectancy, which reflects total health effects, most definitely suggest it was.

As somebody old enough to be in the high risk aged group I am very grateful that my bout was after I had received four shots of vaccine and it was one of the later more infectious, but milder varients.

I only know two people who have died with covid. One most definitely of covid, in the first days of the outbreak here, after returning from a cruise,.
The other, recently, whose health was already very comprimised by terminal cancer.

DIRECTFLT

Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:10 pm

House votes to declassify info about origins of COVID-19

https://apnews.com/article/covid-origin ... 933ec10063

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House voted unanimously Friday to declassify U.S. intelligence information about the origins of COVID-19, a sweeping show of bipartisan support near the third anniversary of the start of the deadly pandemic.

The 419-0 vote was final approval of the bill, sending it to President Joe Biden’s desk to be signed into law.

Debate was brief and to the point: Americans have questions about how the deadly virus started and what can be done to prevent future outbreaks.

“The American public deserves answers to every aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

That includes, he said, “how this virus was created and, specifically, whether it was a natural occurrence or was the result of a lab-related event.”

casinterest

Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:14 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
House votes to declassify info about origins of COVID-19

https://apnews.com/article/covid-origin ... 933ec10063

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House voted unanimously Friday to declassify U.S. intelligence information about the origins of COVID-19, a sweeping show of bipartisan support near the third anniversary of the start of the deadly pandemic.

The 419-0 vote was final approval of the bill, sending it to President Joe Biden’s desk to be signed into law.

Debate was brief and to the point: Americans have questions about how the deadly virus started and what can be done to prevent future outbreaks.

“The American public deserves answers to every aspect of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Rep. Michael Turner, R-Ohio, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee.

That includes, he said, “how this virus was created and, specifically, whether it was a natural occurrence or was the result of a lab-related event.”

And this is news how? Everyone would like to know the origin, but I suspect the dishonorable Michael Turner just wants to turn it into a political football.

StarAC17

Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:35 pm

Toenga wrote:
h
c933103 wrote:

Here in the Antipodes, covid has taken a remarkably similar path in both NZ and Australia.
Heavily restricted borders and area lockdowns to suppress local outbreaks minimised spread, and deaths, until the vaccination campaigns were very largely completed. This was late 2021 early 2022. Then these extreme control measures were relaxed just as the much more infectious Omicron arrived.
A varient so infectious, that previous control methods would have been largely ineffective.

Since then our very largely vaccinated populations have experienced 3 waves of declining severity, hospitalisation numbers and deaths. The first was immediately after the relaxation of controls February March 2022. The next mid winter July August and the last peaked about Christmas Day.

This last wave was characterised by relitvely high infection rates of middle aged /elderly that had prior effectively shielded. So death rates were relatively elevated. And it was characterised by reinfections now approaching 50% of all cases.

Were those very onerous restrictions worth it?
The relitive performances of both the Australian and NZ economy since the start of the pandemic suggest that it was.
The very modest death rates and changes to life expectancy, which reflects total health effects, most definitely suggest it was.

As somebody old enough to be in the high risk aged group I am very grateful that my bout was after I had received four shots of vaccine and it was one of the later more infectious, but milder varients.

While your points are valid regarding the deaths and overall hospitalizations made this the envy of some (NZ was far more rational than say Victoria).

It seems that the general populace would reward the politicians for this actions but Morrison was tossed out last year and Jacinda Arden will not face re-election in IIRC October fearing the the NZ labour party will lose. If the general populace was in support of the Covid response in NZ then she would sail to re-election. Granted there are probably other issues that she may be unpopular as well as personal reasons that she didn't seek re-election.

c933103

Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:40 am

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20230325/k ... 40/251000c
After Japan upcoming downgrad of coronavirus, coronavirus death will be collected via regular birth and death stat system instead, thus at least two month leap time is expected in publication of this stat, and only those death who declare coronavirus as cause of death will be counted

ArchGuy1

Thu May 11, 2023 6:08 pm

Last week, the World Health Organization ended the COVID-19 global health emergency, though it is still classified a pandemic. Still some good news.
https://apnews.com/article/who-pandemic ... 9ab9b1e1dc

c933103

Thu May 18, 2023 2:12 pm

https://cultureroadtravel.com/north-kor ... june-2023/
Unofficial information claim North Korea's border with China to reopen in June