Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A101

Re: Harry's New Book 'Spare': Scuffle between Harry and Willie

Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:04 am

Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
The hatred, outright racism, intolerance and arrogance shown towards Harry and Meghan is pretty nauseating

No one really seems to be able to clarify what it is they’ve done that is so awful

Harry served his country honorably in combat in Afghanistan placing himself in great danger (unlike his brother) and spent a decade in the army where he had a good reputation

He decided to marry an American woman, leave the Royal family and move to the US

So what ?

He was never going to be king and in any case his royal duties have never been mandatory

We are in 2023 !

Harry seems to be seen as a ‘traitor’ for leaving his Royal life behind, marrying a ‘less than White’ American and moving to the US

He has done nothing wrong, his choices are his and theirs to make

The way they’ve been treated in the UK media lately is disgusting, it reveals the really nasty side of the English culture with it’s arrogance, coldness and unforgiving judgmental nature

I don’t blame Harry for what he did at all, I do believe his wife was very badly treated when she lived in the UK and I’m sure the memory of his mother being literally hounded to death by the media made him want to take her as far away as he could from that into a more welcoming and tolerant culture

Good for him and good for them both

Don’t think people really care that he left the royal family or that Meghan could not handle that is their choice.

But how they have conducted themselves while proclaiming the contributions to his mental health but at the same time using it for financial gain :liar:

If they don’t care why are they making such a fuss ?

Such a passive aggressive statement

How they have ‘conducted themselves’ by discussing what has happened to them is their choice, why not use it for financial gain after the damage that’s been done to them

Don't think the level of backlash would be there if they just left and went on their merry way without the talking to media to which he proclaims to be the reason of their problems

But if he wants to use them, then he should and has to expect it will come back and bite him on the arse.

Remember it's the media making the fuss and reporting of polls, the Royal Family has remained a dignified silence

There is only one reason why Harry wants to stir up a hornet's nest a not just for financial gain

Max Q

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:18 am

A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:

Don’t think people really care that he left the royal family or that Meghan could not handle that is their choice.

But how they have conducted themselves while proclaiming the contributions to his mental health but at the same time using it for financial gain :liar:

How they have ‘conducted themselves’ by discussing what has happened to them is their choice, why not use it for financial gain after the damage that’s been done to them

Don't think the level of backlash would be there if they just left and went on their merry way without the talking to media to which he proclaims to be the reason of their problems

But if he wants to use them, then he should and has to expect it will come back and bite him on the arse.

Remember it's the media making the fuss and reporting of polls, the Royal Family has remained a dignified silence

There is only one reason why Harry wants to stir up a hornet's nest a not just for financial gain

Ah yes, the Royal family cause all the problems then ‘maintain a dignified silence’

How noble of them and what complete BS, the reality is the backlash is coming back on them because of the abuse they gave to Harry and Meghan

I recognize the worst of English arrogance, they don’t get to have it both ways

A101

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:17 am

Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Ah yes, the Royal family cause all the problems then ‘maintain a dignified silence’

How noble of them and what complete BS, the reality is the backlash is coming back on them because of the abuse they gave to Harry and Meghan

Really what abuse?

All I see is normal family interactions that happen right across the world, just the argument differs their parents are not the only people who have committed adultery or have had fights

i know of family freinds who sister had a fight with her brother and chopped his toes off with an axe, they laugh about it even 55 years later

Max Q

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:37 am

A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:

Really what abuse?

All I see is normal family interactions that happen right across the world, just the argument differs their parents are not the only people who have committed adultery or have had fights

i know of family freinds who sister had a fight with her brother and chopped his toes off with an axe, they laugh about it even 55 years later

If you think chopping someone’s toes off with an axe is a normal family interaction you have serious issues with your own judgement

You do realize that’s a serious crime ?

Obviously you don’t know abuse when you see it so I’m not surprised you justify the way Harry and Meghan were treated

A101

Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:16 am

Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Really what abuse?

If you think chopping someone’s toes off with an axe is a normal family interaction you have serious issues with your own judgement

Obviously you don’t know abuse when you see it so I’m not surprised you justify the way Harry and Meghan were treated

You are missing the point family fight some yell at each other some get into fists fights and others chop their brothers toes off when they were 12 every one different in how they react to situations

They either work it out or as some family dissolve the only difference here Is that it happens to be a well known family

Kiwirob

Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:22 am

Max Q wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Indeed, my aunt died when her kids were late teens, early 20s. Everyone knew, she had cancer, it took a while to run its course. The younger ones had a harder time than the older ones. The dad was a big-time manipulator long before the mom got sick, that made things far worse than they needed to be.

That was pretty common across upper-class English society. One example noted above was Churchill, another one I know of is Alan Turing. I've read biographies of both. The accepted practice was to let others raise your kids pretty much from birth, and to send them off to boarding school when they were old enough. In Turing's case his dad had some sort of Imperial job in India, and he often only saw his parents for a month or two every two years. The letters this kids wrote their parents are extremely sad, they are begging/pleading/screaming for their parents to give them some love and attention, they can't understand why they've been abandoned and left in such awful places. I've also seen various documentaries of how the UK royal family raises its kids, and it's pretty much the same thing.

It was pretty common for farming families in NZ when my dad and his brothers were kids to go to boarding school. I don’t know if this is still done today.

A couple of really good books about time spent at British boarding schools are Roald Dahls autobiographies Boy and Going Solo. Dahl had a very interesting life story.

I went to an English boarding school for seven years, starting at six years old, it was a terrible experience in an extremely dysfunctional, sadistic institution that, along with others should have been shut down decades before

Those who glorify boarding schools don’t know what they’re talking about, it usually means they didn’t go to one

Reading Boy when I was a kid put me well off my dads desire for me to go to his old school, I was not having any of that. My cousin went, he's the same age as I am, but he's far more prone to violence than I am and loved in it.

Kiwirob

Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:34 am

Max Q wrote:
The hatred, outright racism, intolerance and arrogance shown towards Harry and Meghan is pretty nauseating

I don't see any racism in the press, I think the intolerence has come about because they spend there entire time complaining about everything, if they just went away nobody would be interested in them.

Max Q wrote:
No one really seems to be able to clarify what it is they’ve done that is so awful

See above, its the constant complaining, they are obnixious, they want everything but aren't prepared to work for it.

Max Q wrote:
Harry served his country honorably in combat in Afghanistan placing himself in great danger (unlike his brother) and spent a decade in the army where he had a good reputation

And now because of his bragging in his book has painted a nice big fat target on his and hios families backs, don't be surprised if they aren't harmed or killed by the Taliban or Taliban supporters in the future.

Of course his brother wasn't going to be allowed to go into combat, just like his dad wasn't allowed anywhere near the Falklands. They are the heirs.

Max Q wrote:
He decided to marry an American woman, leave the Royal family and move to the US

So what ?

He was never going to be king and in any case his royal duties have never been mandatory

Id you want all the trappings that come with Royalty you have to work for it, those duties are mandatory.

Max Q wrote:
We are in 2023 !

Harry seems to be seen as a ‘traitor’ for leaving his Royal life behind, marrying a ‘less than White’ American and moving to the US

The way they’ve been treated in the UK media lately is disgusting, it reveals the really nasty side of the English culture with it’s arrogance, coldness and unforgiving judgmental nature

I think the only person who appears to take issue with Harry marring a mixed race woman is Harry himself, as you said its 2023 who gives a crap, besides this is nothing new there are already POC who have married into the family in the past, including a Maori from New Zealand.

Max Q wrote:
I don’t blame Harry for what he did at all, I do believe his wife was very badly treated when she lived in the UK and I’m sure the memory of his mother being literally hounded to death by the media made him want to take her as far away as he could from that into a more welcoming and tolerant culture

I doubt his memories of his mother are all that strong, she died when he was a small child, he spend most of his early years in boarding school, he didn't live with her, she was off making headlines with all her exploits.

hh65man

Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:54 am

Max Q wrote:

So what ?

We are in 2023 !

Actually Williams time spent flying SAR I would consider to be dangerous work also. Flying SAR in a antiquated Sikorsky H-3 helo, at night with poor weather isn’t safe. What I am surprised about is Harry’s claim of being decked, like what?.. Airforce whooping the Army… :talktothehand:

luckyone

Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:53 pm

hh65man wrote:
Max Q wrote:

So what ?

We are in 2023 !

Actually Williams time spent flying SAR I would consider to be dangerous work also. Flying SAR in a antiquated Sikorsky H-3 helo, at night with poor weather isn’t safe. What I am surprised about is Harry’s claim of being decked, like what?.. Airforce whooping the Army… :talktothehand:

There's also the psychological big (and taller) brother who by the way is going to be King.

Max Q

Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:23 pm

A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:

Really what abuse?

You are missing the point family fight some yell at each other some get into fists fights and others chop their brothers toes off when they were 12 every one different in how they react to situations

They either work it out or as some family dissolve the only difference here Is that it happens to be a well known family

Details are important and you’re glossing over a rather important one

You stated a family member chopped off the toes of another with an ax and these are just ‘normal family interactions’

And they ‘laugh about it later’

Laughing about mutilating a family member

Your version of normal is seriously dysfunctional, that’s the point you’re missing

Not sure what else you’re trying to say other than belaboring the obvious about family disagreements

A101

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:51 pm

Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

You stated a family member chopped off the toes of another with an ax and these are just ‘normal family interactions’

Your version of normal is seriously dysfunctional, that’s the point you’re missing

Not sure what else you’re trying to say other than belaboring the obvious about family disagreements

The point being family conflict is inevitable at some stage and each family deals with it differently over the years I have heard or read about family domestic. Upbring has a lot to do with how it proceeds, and yes you would be surprised to hear how many end up in hospitals because of family domestic

But with each domestic it’s how each repair the relationship which are the divers that is important factor families can split or family can come together more.

It’s seems like harry is moving away from his demons but is acting like a petulant child with running his mouth off to the media to things that should remain private and confidential due to his very unorthodox family situation. You can’t compare the Royal family to the attention seekers like the Kardashian

Problem here is harry has never really lived in the real world being in the line of succession.it just seems to me the more he moves down the pecking order the angrier he got

Well I guess you had to be there which I wasn’t.

From the story it’s was not a deliberate act more of a unfortunate side affect from sibling rivalry from 12 year olds getting out of hand throwing things away andnot thinking of the consequences

As they say time heals all wounds in this case literally

luckyone

Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:56 pm

Max Q wrote:
A101 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Not sure where your frame of reference is or whether you had brothers, but depending on the circumstances, this would chalked up to a stupid act of childhood, and times were different (have you ever heard of lawn darts??). My brother and I did all sorts of stupid things. We went sliding down a bare stairwell on a baby mattress when we were maybe 7 and 4. I would drive our go cart such that he would occasionally roll out of it (the lesson there from dad was "hold on tighter.") When my brother was 6 he threw a railroad spike that hit me on my head. I was fine, I still have a small bump there but it was just bleeding. He was six, and didn't know what he was doing, and now we laugh about it and I rib him about it at every available. If a twelve year-old had a "hey y'all watch this" moment, and was a klutz with an axe, I could see how the family would laugh about it later. My point is, kids do stupid things.

Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:38 pm

How do we know what Harry & Co. is spouting/has spouted/will be spouting is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

Similar to when an airline pax accuses an airline of doing X, Y or Z and the airline involved does not respond, how do we know that the incident actually happened the way the pax described it? In reality, we don't. I'm just enjoying the free entertainment with a cold brew.....

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:26 pm

luckyone wrote:
Not sure where your frame of reference is or whether you had brothers, but depending on the circumstances, this would chalked up to a stupid act of childhood, and times were different (have you ever heard of lawn darts??). My brother and I did all sorts of stupid things.

At around age 7 my brother was throwing a heavy rock, it ended up hitting me in the face and breaking my nose. Maybe he just didn't get the distance he thought he could get, or maybe I stumbled into it, who knows, but that's what he told the adults.

At around age 11 my brother put a bed sheet on his back and jumped off the garage roof, thinking the sheet would act like a parachute and cushion his fall. It didn't. He broke his arm.

At a similar age I was fishing with my brother and cousin (with no adult supervision, we just took off from home on our bikes, because that's what kids did back then). I started my motion to cast my line, something didn't go to plan, and the hook ended up in my arse. My cousin joked that I was the biggest thing they caught that day.

Three trips to the hospital, all due to the stupidity of youngsters.

We had wobbly bikes, death trap sleds, lawn darts, BB and 0.22 rifles too.

No injuries due to the rifles, but in one case someone's car insurance had to buy a new set of glass for a neighbor's car.

Revelation
Topic Author

Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:40 pm

A101 wrote:
It’s seems like harry is moving away from his demons but is acting like a petulant child with running his mouth off to the media to things that should remain private and confidential due to his very unorthodox family situation.

In my mind that brings up the question of why Harry wasn't taught better.

We already had some slut-shaming of Diana above, but at the same time Chucky was man-whoring with Horse Face.

Neither seemed to be focused on making sure their children were adjusting well to their roles in life, and if they weren't, trying to find a path that they could cope with.

Now we read that Chucky is whining about his kids making life tough for him as he ages, as if he had nothing to do with their upbringing.

Pathetic.

A101 wrote:
You can’t compare the Royal family to the attention seekers like the Kardashian

I think you can compare, they are both celebrity families, of their own making.

If the Windsors want out, all they need to do is resign the throne, just follow great-uncle Edward's lead.

They'd lose access to the perks of the job, but they would be pretty damn well off, and free of all those pesky responsibilities.

atcsundevil

Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:31 pm

Keep the thread on topic. Personal comments will be removed.

✈️ atcsundevil

casinterest

Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:00 pm

It is interesting to watch it all play out. Harry was born in the spotlight, and whether he is tired of Royalty or not the spotlight is there and will stay there for his lifetime.
His split from royalty will not be a clean black and white split. it will play out over decades, and it will play out publically. The Royals will get a ton of attention, and now Harry can profit from it as he makes the split. the benefit will be for his children and grandchildren as they slowly ebb farther from the "Crown".,
Meanwhile we can all enjoy the popcorn of disfunctional families played out in the media in all it's glory. This is after all just the natural progression hinted at in the "The Truman Show". Whether he wants privacy or not, the publicity will follow, and people will buy up the tabloids to watch it play out.

OA260

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:28 am

Its half price already lol

ReverseFlow

Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:20 pm

OA260 wrote:

I guess all the juicy bits have been broadcast already and reading books is so last century.

MaverickM11

Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:31 pm

Max Q wrote:
Revelation wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Same can be said for pretty much any celebrity. All of them get all kinds of nastiness dumped on them.

Writing a book that takes shots at family members is OK then?

I do believe his wife was very badly treated when she lived in the UK and I’m sure the memory of his mother being literally hounded to death by the media made him want to take her as far away as he could from that into a more welcoming and tolerant culture

Too bad he seems to need to cash in on his celebrity to make ends meet.

No, this is a whole new level of hatred

Why exactly should he stay quiet in the face of all the aggression towards him and his wife ?

Cashing in ?

Good for him

I wouldn't mind the hatred toward the two of them if they were disrupting some upstanding family with no skeletons in their millions of closets. But this family? THIS one? The one with a literal pedophile prince? And enough tabloid fodder to buy every low life with a gossip column a boat in Ibiza for generations? Nah. You're not mad at Harry and Meghan. You're mad your idea of peak-peak-peak whiteness is being questioned.

vikkyvik

Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:35 pm

A101 wrote:
It’s seems like harry is moving away from his demons but is acting like a petulant child with running his mouth off to the media to things that should remain private and confidential due to his very unorthodox family situation.

It makes sense in a way. He likely didn't have much of a normal childhood, and likely wasn't able to really be a normal infant, toddler, and child.

So now that he's "free", he has to go back and live through all that. Not intentionally, but that's what his brain probably needs, and where he is emotionally.

Sort of like an addict, who essentially stops maturing when they become an addict. Then if they get clean 20 years later, their emotional maturity is still 20 years younger.

OA260

Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:05 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
OA260 wrote:

I guess all the juicy bits have been broadcast already and reading books is so last century.

Indeed Meghan wont get as much ££ as she wanted ;)
This cost of living crisis is terrible lol

Revelation
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:06 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:

I still read books (mostly using 21st century devices), but wouldn't waste a cent on this one for the reason you give.

I find the topic interesting enough to take in the bits and pieces we get via the free media, but not enough to actually pay money for the book.

I honestly wonder who will: "royal watchers" and very bored people who can't get their fill from the free stuff, who else?

vrbarreto

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:14 pm

OA260 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
OA260 wrote:

Well.. According to this, it's the fastest selling 'non fiction' book ever

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 59565.html

OA260

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:20 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
OA260 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Indeed at cut price ;)

bluecrew

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:39 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Revelation wrote:
A101 wrote:
I don't wonder don't think it will change anytime soon if this is any indication he would have to do something really really stupid

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/bmncb6vteb/ ... 221215.pdf

We should keep the monarchy 60%
We should abolish the monarchy 25%
Don't know 15%

ample Size: 1690 adults in GB
Fieldwork: 14th - 15th December 2022

The only ones who take the time to answer such surveys are bored pensioners.

The same demographic in Russia wants the Soviet Union back.

Go figure.

That’s not correct at all. I worked for a market research company, with political surveys we had to get a wide cross section of the population, not just elderly people.

Lol we already have this answer.
Guys, it's right on the survey haha. The largest age group was 25-49, there was a slight skew of more Conservatives polled, and it was slightly pro-Brexit.

casinterest

Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:57 pm

vrbarreto wrote:
OA260 wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:

Yeah, it woudl seem the sales are more likely loss leaders to get people in the store for more than just the book

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/royal ... index.html
Some may say they aren't interested in the British royal family drama or are growing tired of it, but "Spare" shot to the top of Amazon's best sellers list upon its release. There wasn't a rush on bookstores Tuesday morning but retailers told CNN they had piles of pre-orders ready to ship out. By Tuesday afternoon, its publishers claimed it was the fastest-selling non-fiction book ever, with 400,000 copies in hardback, ebook and audio formats snapped up, Britain's PA Media reported.
"We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations," Larry Finlay, managing director of Transworld Penguin Random House, said.

IADFCO

Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:51 pm

Now that the issue of who Harry's father is has come come up (again), even if in the context of a joke, has Harry ever taken a DNA test? It would seem a simple way to sort out this issue once and for all.

A101

Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:46 pm

I notice the racism debate has kicked off again.

Harry now saying he didn't accuse the Royal Family of being racist. he is full of shit

Prince Harry denied accusing the Royal family of being racist in his bombshell ITV interview.

Viewers were stunned to see Harry distance himself from comments made in an interview with Oprah Winfrey two years ago.

He interrupted Brady’s attempts to question further, and suggested it was ‘unconscious bias’, not racism, and they can now ‘learn and grow’ and be ‘part of the solution’, instead of the problem.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/08/harry-in ... -18062680/

And Morgan & Goddard clash over is what he said because he actually didn't say they were racist, but his intent was crystal clear that they were racist

https://metro.co.uk/2023/01/09/piers-mo ... -18068536/

Racism, whether conscious or unconscious, is a bias on the grounds of someone’s race. How Harry and Meghan presented it on Oprah was to suggest whoever said it was racist.

Personally, when I heard it in the media, I never thought at the time making the conversation was being racist just more of wondering how dark or light the offspring would be as it was a mixed-race baby, I hardly think that is being racist unless something else derogatory was said at the time unlike the way the presented it on the Oprah show. That's the problem with racism what's offensive to me might not be offensive to someone else so obviously Meghan had taken offense to it and implied racism

hh65man

Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:40 am

OA260 wrote:

Obviously someone has perused the pages and deemed it wasn’t worth the money the pages were printed on. I don’t think I’d even read it if given to me for free as a gift. Perfect material for the waiting room, right along all the other gossip mags…

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:14 am

A101 wrote:

Harry now saying he didn't accuse the Royal Family of being racist. he is full of shit

Prince Harry denied accusing the Royal family of being racist in his bombshell ITV interview.

Viewers were stunned to see Harry distance himself from comments made in an interview with Oprah Winfrey two years ago.

He interrupted Brady’s attempts to question further, and suggested it was ‘unconscious bias’, not racism, and they can now ‘learn and grow’ and be ‘part of the solution’, instead of the problem.

And Morgan & Goddard clash over is what he said because he actually didn't say they were racist, but his intent was crystal clear that they were racist

Racism, whether conscious or unconscious, is a bias on the grounds of someone’s race. How Harry and Meghan presented it on Oprah was to suggest whoever said it was racist.

Personally, when I heard it in the media, I never thought at the time making the conversation was being racist just more of wondering how dark or light the offspring would be as it was a mixed-race baby, I hardly think that is being racist unless something else derogatory was said at the time unlike the way the presented it on the Oprah show. That's the problem with racism what's offensive to me might not be offensive to someone else so obviously Meghan had taken offense to it and implied racism

They recieved an award for speaking out against racism within the royal family.

Cognitive dissonance or blatant liars? The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's work fighting against racism around the world was celebrated at the 2022 Ripple of Hope Awards. Kerry Kennedy presented their award and explained that they were receiving this recognition because they spoke out against racism within the royal family.
Vanity Fair Dec 7, 2022

A101

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:58 am

Kiwirob wrote:
A101 wrote:

Cognitive dissonance or blatant liars? The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's work fighting against racism around the world was celebrated at the 2022 Ripple of Hope Awards. Kerry Kennedy presented their award and explained that they were receiving this recognition because they spoke out against racism within the royal family.
Vanity Fair Dec 7, 2022

I didn't know they got an award for it, does that mean they have to hand it back? :hissyfit:

Revelation
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:27 pm

casinterest wrote:
"We always knew this book would fly but it is exceeding even our most bullish expectations," Larry Finlay, managing director of Transworld Penguin Random House, said.

Now that's an unbiased source, isn't it? Guess we never get to know what those "bullish expectations" were before the fact.

I still wonder who is buying it. There must be 400,000 very bored people out there.

casinterest

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:05 pm

Revelation wrote:
casinterest wrote:

Now that's an unbiased source, isn't it? Guess we never get to know what those "bullish expectations" were before the fact.

I still wonder who is buying it. There must be 400,000 very bored people out there.

Well, I would imagine those are the 400,000 thousand pre ordered copies, but never understimate the "Royal" admirers out there. I know quite a few that will order the book as a good read up on the family.
Most of us on this site are prone to just be happy with the leaks, but I imagine this book gets well read through the summer.

400,000 is probably well short of what the final tally will be.

Revelation
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:15 pm

casinterest wrote:
Well, I would imagine those are the 400,000 thousand pre ordered copies, but never understimate the "Royal" admirers out there. I know quite a few that will order the book as a good read up on the family.
Most of us on this site are prone to just be happy with the leaks, but I imagine this book gets well read through the summer.

400,000 is probably well short of what the final tally will be.

The quote was "400,000 copies in hardback, ebook and audio formats snapped up" which suggests it's not just the pre-sales, although you are right, more sales will happen.

Looks like his fans will have more opportunities to purchase his work, since it is said he has a deal for 4 books that will pay him as much as $40M ( ref: https://www.etonline.com/inside-prince- ... tag-196830 ). Another source ( https://nypost.com/2022/10/27/prince-ha ... y-will-go/) suggests he's already directed $2M of the $20M advance he got for the first book to his favorite charities.

Hope he invests the rest of it wisely, it'll have to go a long way, IMO.

johns624

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:17 pm

Is that picture of the books real or is it photoshopped? It doesn't appear to be in a bookstore but somewhere else. Just asking...

ChrisKen

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:29 pm

johns624 wrote:
Is that picture of the books real or is it photoshopped? It doesn't appear to be in a bookstore but somewhere else. Just asking...

WH Smith.
They'd been very overtly advertising it at half price for at least a fortnight before the books release in my local store.

GDB

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:41 pm

IADFCO wrote:
Now that the issue of who Harry's father is has come come up (again), even if in the context of a joke, has Harry ever taken a DNA test? It would seem a simple way to sort out this issue once and for all.

She didn't meet Hewitt until some years after Harry was born, so there's that.
Not to take sides but imagine if you have had that said about you all your life, without, until recently, a means to reply.
Same as the oversharing of his military service (the one time he was largely free of the press he loathes and blames in part for his Mother's death), he's had people saying 'he wasn't really there' or 'saw no action, just a prop for the Army/government etc'.
If you know what the British tabloid press is like, you might understand, basically a print version of FOX, indeed one rag is owned by Murdoch.

A friend who works at the MoD met Harry a couple of times, describing him as, if you didn't know otherwise, a typical British Army officer of his rank and generation.
My take? The tabloid press, with headlines comparing his partner then to LA gangster rappers as well as other racially tinged shit typical of them, made Harry seek the protection of a united front against them, other members of the 'Firm' or their offices refused.

The couple have won court cases against the Daily Mail, a real rancid shit rag.
That is at the heart of this mess, rightly or wrongly Harry feels betrayed, his actions since have often been unwise and not helped his case, you can also say the same of the institution.

From what I have been unable to avoid, (another indictment of the UK media, TV too for following the tabloid agenda), they've all of them, brought this on themselves.
Or you could agree with the obsessed with Meghan Piers Morgan, who walked off a prime time slot on an early morning TV news show, after a deranged rant about her, being called out calmly by a weather presenter, who himself was mixed race.

Are we all so interested, well the big prime time interview with Harry, by one of the few in the media he remotely trusts, ITN's Tom Bradby, was easily beaten in the viewing figures by the return of the third series of the BBC crime drama Happy Valley.
So there's that too.
Last edited by GDB on Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johns624

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:42 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
johns624 wrote:

WH Smith.
They'd been very overtly advertising it at half price for at least a fortnight before the books release in my local store.
Thanks. So maybe they're using it as a loss leader?

ChrisKen

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:57 pm

johns624 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
johns624 wrote:

WH Smith.

Unlikely, probably more to do with the RRP being seriously overpriced to start with at £28. A cynical marketing "Half price" is £14.
Most outlets are selling at around £14.

GDB

Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:59 pm

You wonder how many who buy it actually read it, not that I've any intention of doing so.
Luckily, here's suitably acerbic Marina Hyde who did so you don't have to;
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... nest-spare

Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:57 pm

So, why even bring it up in the first place?

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... e2a92c931c

Shedding light on why he decided to share the details of his time in Afghanistan, he explained that it was a show of solidarity for other veterans.

“To the vets here, and to the civilians here — who may feel that this is slightly a weird conversation to have, especially on this show of all shows — I made a choice to share it because having spent nearly two decades working with veterans all around the world, I think the most important thing is to be honest and to give space to others to be able to share their experiences without any shame.

“Any my whole goal, my attempt with sharing that detail, is to reduce the number of suicides,” he added, to applause from the crowd.

Sharing it with fellow vets - fine, as you wore the same uniform and were fighting the same common enemy. Sharing it with the whole world, especially if you're someone that high profile? Then trying explain his way out by saying that he did it to reduce the number of suicides? Lost for words. I think he has completely lost the plot.

A101

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:22 pm

889091 wrote:

Shedding light on why he decided to share the details of his time in Afghanistan, he explained that it was a show of solidarity for other veterans.

“To the vets here, and to the civilians here — who may feel that this is slightly a weird conversation to have, especially on this show of all shows — I made a choice to share it because having spent nearly two decades working with veterans all around the world, I think the most important thing is to be honest and to give space to others to be able to share their experiences without any shame.

“Any my whole goal, my attempt with sharing that detail, is to reduce the number of suicides,” he added, to applause from the crowd.

Sharing it with fellow vets - fine, as you wore the same uniform and were fighting the same common enemy. Sharing it with the whole world, especially if you're someone that high profile? Then trying explain his way out by saying that he did it to reduce the number of suicides? Lost for words. I think he has completely lost the plot.

Agree

Some people are suggesting it was a way to get free extra security for his family as the ulterior motivation.

Security can only do so much. He is certainly coming across as being not the sharpest tool in the toolbox

IADFCO

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:05 am

GDB wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the official party line. I was aware of that when I posted my question.

MaverickM11

Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:44 am

johns624 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
johns624 wrote:

WH Smith.

Prince Harry’s Book ‘Spare’ Sold Over 1.4 Million English Copies, Already On Second Run
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadell ... ace3cfb8c3

889091 wrote:

Isn't that the whole point of a book? :confused:

Kiwirob wrote:
A101 wrote:

Vanity Fair Dec 7, 2022

Not sure why it's such a stretch to believe the literal symbol of colonialism is racist and completely out of touch with reality.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:03 am

MaverickM11 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
ChrisKen wrote:
WH Smith.

Prince Harry’s Book ‘Spare’ Sold Over 1.4 Million English Copies, Already On Second Run
https://www.forbes.com/sites/marisadell ... ace3cfb8c3

889091 wrote:

Isn't that the whole point of a book? :confused:

Kiwirob wrote:
A101 wrote:

Vanity Fair Dec 7, 2022

Not sure why it's such a stretch to believe the literal symbol of colonialism is racist and completely out of touch with reality.

Just out of interest what countries do you believe the previous Queen and the current King have colonised? Or even the previous Queens father and grandfather?

Revelation
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:16 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
Just out of interest what countries do you believe the previous Queen and the current King have colonised? Or even the previous Queens father and grandfather?

I guess the word "symbol" is lost on you.

Perhaps a better question: How many different world currencies is Liz's face on?

The answer, apparently, is 35 ( ref: https://qr.ae/pr2S2q ).

GDB

Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:29 pm

IADFCO wrote:
GDB wrote:
IADFCO wrote:

[...]

Yes, that's the official party line. I was aware of that when I posted my question.

It’s up there Elvis shot JFK, the US has dead aliens at Roswell etc.
By hair color then? So similar to much of Diana’s family in that case.

Kiwirob

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Revelation wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:

I guess the word "symbol" is lost on you.

Perhaps a better question: How many different world currencies is Liz's face on?

The answer, apparently, is 35 ( ref: https://qr.ae/pr2S2q ).

That's just pig headed ignorance on behalf of those who prefer to blame others for there own failings.

majano

Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Dear fellow royalists,
How much would you be willing to pay for a first class Air New Zealad ticket from Mexico to Britain? Not to worry about city or airport. Is…$30 too much to ask?
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/prince-ha ... 5WC7PF76Q/