Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Why We Never Found The Malaysian Flight MH370 ?

Wed Jan 11, 2023 3:41 pm

Posted in Off Topic to include Political or Conspiracy Comments/Discussion

Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappearance, also called MH370 disappearance, is the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet on March 8, 2014, during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The disappearance of the Boeing 777 with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board led to a search effort stretching from the Indian Ocean west of Australia to Central Asia. The perplexing nature of the loss of flight 370 is such that it has become one of history’s most famous missing aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTeA7ZEL6iw

I found the theory that MH370 was headed to strike Diego Garica and was shot down interesting.

StarAC17

Re: Why We Never Found The Malaysian Flight MH370 ?

Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:44 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:
Posted in Off Topic to include Political or Conspiracy Comments/Discussion

Malaysia Airlines flight 370 disappearance, also called MH370 disappearance, is the disappearance of a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet on March 8, 2014, during a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. The disappearance of the Boeing 777 with 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board led to a search effort stretching from the Indian Ocean west of Australia to Central Asia. The perplexing nature of the loss of flight 370 is such that it has become one of history’s most famous missing aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTeA7ZEL6iw

I found the theory that MH370 was headed to strike Diego Garica and was shot down interesting.

I don't have 1h 25 mins to watch this right now. However I don't think there is any grand conspiracy to this it was a planned murder suicide most likely by the captain of that flight. It could have been a hijacking as well but I would think there would be distress calls in the post 9/11 world by the flight crew. Diego Garcia is a military island that the US and UK use, why would they cover up a 777 landing there, in fact how could they? Its a known location and China or many other countries could point at satellite at the Island and find a 777 at the base.

A year later this was unfortunately successful with Germanwings Flight 9525 which was was a clear murder suicide. This probably was a similar event the FO left to go to the bathroom and the Captain locked the door, changed the course and more than likely depressurized the aircraft. There is a discussion in Civil Av. about the landing gear door Trunnion door being found in Madagascar meaning that the captain or whomever was in control might have lowered the gear and the only reason to do that on water would be to ensure the plane sinks faster as the gear would be ripped off upon contact with the water and the open doors would flood the plane faster.

It's very hard for a lot of us to accept but the ocean is massive and if you don't know where you are looking its nearly impossible to find something. A 777 is big to us but not to the ocean.
It took 2 years to find AF447 and they knew pretty much where it crashed. I do think there is probably classified military technology that the US, China and perhaps the Russians have that know exactly where the plane went down but that means showing their hands to the kinds of secret toys that they have. My solution to this is to ensure that GPS transmitters report a plane's position every 5 minutes or so and that can't be turned off in any circumstances.

Its clear that someone or perhaps a group of people don't want this plane found. I still stand but the murder-suicide.

Civ-av discussion,.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1479775&hilit=MH370&start=50

art

Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:58 pm

StarAC17 wrote:
It's very hard for a lot of us to accept but the ocean is massive and if you don't know where you are looking its nearly impossible to find something. A 777 is big to us but not to the ocean.

It took 2 years to find AF447 and they knew pretty much where it crashed.

I think that the inability to trace large, metal objects in deep water from the air or from space is why nobody knows where MH370 went.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:00 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

:lol:

The oceans are just very very big, sometimes there is no definite explanation, no need to come up with one.

casinterest

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

The oceans are just very very big, sometimes there is no definite explanation, no need to come up with one.

And very deep. The average depth of the Indian Ocean is over 3700m/12200 ft. There aren't many places on land that high. A lot of it wasn't even mapped until they started searching for MH 370.

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:53 pm

DIRECTFLT wrote:

You must not have followed the MH-370 thread here in this forum.

For openers, we know where the plane was at 18:39:55.354, (6° 8'11.00"N 94°14'30.55"E).
At that time there was an Inmarsat exchange caused by an attempted incoming call.
Through analysis of BFO data, we can tell that the plane was on a southerly heading at that time, which checks out with its last exact known position at 18:25 at NILAM.

For the next five hours the plane makes contact at the ping rings at the predicted times for a plane flying at the speed of a 777 on a southerly course.

It could be nowhere other than the SIO.
Unless you don't believe in the Inmarsat data.

Dutchy

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:06 pm

casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

And very deep. The average depth of the Indian Ocean is over 3700m/12200 ft. There aren't many places on land that high. A lot of it wasn't even mapped until they started searching for MH 370.

true, the tallest mountain Mount Everest (8,848meters) can easily be hidden, in the deepest place on earth, Challenger Deep with 10,984 metres. More is known about the features at the far end of the moon, than of the ocean floor.

NIKV69

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 pm

Install GPS on all commercial aircraft. Done.

StarAC17

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:12 pm

Dutchy wrote:
casinterest wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

true, the tallest mountain Mount Everest (8,848meters) can easily be hidden, in the deepest place on earth, Challenger Deep with 10,984 metres. More is known about the features at the far end of the moon, than of the ocean floor.

Everest would be 2.4 times the average depth of the Indian Ocean 8848m vs 3700m. You could hide it from Base Camp to the Summit but not the whole mountain. Still a huge depth.

Edit. you meant the deepest part of the Ocean in the Pacific. My bad for reading wrong.

Kiwirob

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:31 pm

art wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

I think that the inability to trace large, metal objects in deep water from the air or from space is why nobody knows where MH370 went.

If they can’t find this aircraft it makes you wonder how sub hunting aircraft can find subs which are designed specifically to evade detection?

casinterest

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:36 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
art wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

If they can’t find this aircraft it makes you wonder how sub hunting aircraft can find subs which are designed specifically to evade detection?

Subs generally move, have density and shape and can be detected by sonar as they aren't lying on the bottom in pieces(Hopefully). Usually they are relatively close to the surface making even magnometers and sonar more effective.

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:41 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Submarines move and emit noise, and don't generally operate at those depths. And still are hard to locate outside of specific knowledge of operational area, within a relatively small radius of detection.

This flight was directed to an unmonitored part of the ocean for a reason. The crew member responsible probably didn't know the aircraft would continue to ping on satellite with the radar transponder turned off, or that BF and Doppler analysis could be used to establish a rough position. Had they known, they would have attempted to disable the satellite transponder as well. Then we would know almost nothing.

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:58 pm

Kiwirob wrote:

Submarines move and emit noise, and don't generally operate at those depths. And still are hard to locate outside of specific knowledge of operational area, within a relatively small radius of detection.

This flight was directed to an unmonitored part of the ocean for a reason. The crew member responsible probably didn't know the aircraft would continue to ping on satellite with the radar transponder turned off, or that BF and Doppler analysis could be used to establish a rough position. Had they known, they would have attempted to disable the satellite transponder as well. Then we would know almost nothing.
Yes, it was Zaharie's intention that the plane disappear without a trace. But he was tripped up by the fact that the satellite transponder communicated with the satellite even when coms within the plane were turned off. Yet I still believe that the plane had to have been tracked by Thai radar at Hat Yai, and also by several Indonesian radar sites. There never has been a public record of Malaysia or anyone else asking the Indonesians or the Thai if they tracked MH-370.

Somehow the Americans and the Britts knew it had flown to the Malacca Strait days before the Malaysians conceded that it had turned around. They were searching in the Strait while everyone else was searching in the SCS.

art

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:10 pm

Kiwirob wrote:
art wrote:
StarAC17 wrote:

Subs contain a lot of magnetic material not so deep below the surface. I don't know the technology but I imagine that the variation in the earth's magnetic field caused by 25 tons of steel in an aircraft 10,000 feet below the surface is miniscule compared to that of a sub containing 1,000 tons of steel 1,000 feet below the surface.

If an Orion flew directly over MH370 in (say) 10,000ft of water, would it detect a definite anomaly? Even if the answer to that is positive, what about if it flew 10 miles to the side of the aircraft? Would it still detect an anomaly? Does anyone reading this know?

M564038

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:31 pm

I feel really sad that everyone is setting up the poor captain as a fall guy for this.

It is a fact that he was in political opposition to the Malaysian government. I am NOT saying that this played a role in the accident, just that he was a very convenient person to blame.

After all accounts he was an absolutely fabolous guy! Warm, friendly, great with kids, an atheist, an avid flight simmer in periods on his time off. His last activities on You Tube was watching Richard Dawkins-videos and western stand up comedians. There was nothing about him suggesting him either being a terrorist or suicidal. Absolutely nothing. The only sources suggesting there were was the Malaysian government with vested interest in finding someone to blame, preferably someone they didn’t like. Please stop dragging Zaharie Shah through the dirt on zero grounds, and be ashamed!

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:47 pm

M564038 wrote:
I feel really sad that everyone is setting up the poor captain as a fall guy for this.

It is a fact that he was in political opposition to the Malaysian government. I am NOT saying that this played a role in the accident, just that he was a very convenient person to blame.

After all accounts he was an absolutely fabolous guy! Warm, friendly, great with kids, an atheist, an avid flight simmer in periods on his time off. His last activities on You Tube was watching Richard Dawkins-videos and western stand up comedians. There was nothing about him suggesting him either being a terrorist or suicidal. Absolutely nothing. The only sources suggesting there were was the Malaysian government with vested interest in finding someone to blame, preferably someone they didn’t like. Please stop dragging Zaharie Shah through the dirt on zero grounds, and be ashamed!
That's what you say, that's your opinion or that is the opinion you claim to have.

There is plenty of evidence that he was off into never never land. There is one thing you and I might agree on, he was an expert pilot, far beyond the garden variety 777 captain. He flew aerobatic aircraft in his spare time and he was an extreme technician. This all plays a part it the Immelmann turn he made while soaring to 45,000 feet while he was dumping the cabin pressurization in order to kill all his passengers and cabin crew.

Yea, he was a great guy.

(You remind me of Anthony Perkins in the last scene of Psycho, where he says "I'll show them, I won't even hurt a fly".)

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:22 pm

art wrote:

Subs contain a lot of magnetic material not so deep below the surface. I don't know the technology but I imagine that the variation in the earth's magnetic field caused by 25 tons of steel in an aircraft 10,000 feet below the surface is miniscule compared to that of a sub containing 1,000 tons of steel 1,000 feet below the surface.

If an Orion flew directly over MH370 in (say) 10,000ft of water, would it detect a definite anomaly? Even if the answer to that is positive, what about if it flew 10 miles to the side of the aircraft? Would it still detect an anomaly? Does anyone reading this know?

Magnetic Anomaly Detection (MAD) is most useful in coastal areas where subs are forced to run shallow. It isn't that useful in the open ocean, except in an impending attack scenario where the sub is running close to the surface. If the sub goes deep, MAD is ineffective. Therefore would not be applicable to finding a downed aircraft at depth.

It should be clear that even large cargo ships that sink, are either not found, or only found much later, after an extensive search. And this is when their final location is known within several miles. For an airliner with imprecise coordinates & trajectory, and traveling at high speed, the search parameters and area are massively enormous by comparison.

That's really all you need to know, to understand why MH370 hasn't been found. It probably will be found someday, when someone happens to look in the right place.

StarAC17

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:40 pm

M564038 wrote:

There are a lot of evidence that he was mentally ill. Just because you are a good citizen on the outside does not mean that you are not up to something. Most people have only surface level interactions with 99% of the people they come across and would never suspect nefarious behaviour until its too late.
Many serial killers put on a good external image and the general public and even law enforcement doesn't suspect a thing. A suicidal person can easily do the same.
He or somebody knew to turn off the transponders and fly between airspaces to evade serious detection. Add in pretty strong evidence that has recently come out that the gear was lowered it is the most likely scenario.

These are Fox News articles but they have no incentive to politicize this.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/mh370-cap ... xperts-say

Furthermore murder-suicides are unfortunately quite common.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/germanwin ... since-1976

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:54 pm

NIKV69 wrote:

Been done for more than a decade, done. GPS does NOT track objects, it provide position ONLY, nada mas.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:58 pm

Vintage wrote:
M564038 wrote:

That's what you say, that's your opinion or that is the opinion you claim to have.

There is plenty of evidence that he was off into never never land. There is one thing you and I might agree on, he was an expert pilot, far beyond the garden variety 777 captain. He flew aerobatic aircraft in his spare time and he was an extreme technician. This all plays a part it the Immelmann turn he made while soaring to 45,000 feet while he was dumping the cabin pressurization in order to kill all his passengers and cabin crew.

Yea, he was a great guy.

(You remind me of Anthony Perkins in the last scene of Psycho, where he says "I'll show them, I won't even hurt a fly".)

When did he do an Immelmann turn? Do you know what one is? hint, it’s a vertical maneuver.

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:59 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Been done for more than a decade, done. GPS does NOT track objects, it provide position ONLY, nada mas.
I think he means GPS reporting via ADS-B which would be wired so the flight crew can't turn it off.

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Vintage wrote:
M564038 wrote:

Yea, he was a great guy.

When did he do an Immelmann turn? Do you know what one is? hint, it’s a vertical maneuver.

Hint: it's not just a vertical maneuver, it includes a 180° turn. If you don't know about the soaring turn he made as he departed the scheduled flight path and you're a pilot, you must not have much interest in this subject, so why the interest now?

It wasn't a vanilla immelmann maneuver, Zaharie's version in the 777 took about five minutes to execute; he dropped a wing to make it about a 270° turn and this left him headed back towards the Malaysian mainland descending from his apex of about 45,000 feet. He may have gone unconscious himself momentarily during this maneuver although it is a sure thing that he hyperventilated on pure O2 before beginning.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:22 pm

This is an Immelmann turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn

It’s a half loop with a roll to upright at the top. What e did is a climb, a 270 degree turn and descent that took minutes, maybe world’s largest, longest wingover. Are there FDR traces?

T18

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:
DIRECTFLT wrote:

How long did it take to find the Titanic and we had a really good idea of where she went down?

Vintage

Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:27 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
This is an Immelmann turn.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immelmann_turn

It’s a half loop with a roll to upright at the top. What e did is a climb, a 270 degree turn and descent that took minutes. An Immelmann takes seconds.

The Immelmann you're talking about is done in something like a Pitts special at about 5,000 feet. Zaharie did his in a 777 above 40,000 feet so there are some differences.

But you're not here to discuss MH-370, you're here to bicker about word definitions and whatever other trivia you can think up - right? And 'win' of course - right?

prebennorholm

Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:37 am

T18 wrote:
How long did it take to find the Titanic and we had a really good idea of where she went down?

It took 73 years. We knew in 1912 the Titanic position roughly as well as we knew AF447 in 2009.

Better equipment and more resources made us find AF447 in 2 years instead of 73 years.

If we assume that 2 years of search is a good average for finding something similar to AF447, then with what we know about the MH370 position a similar search would take a lot more time than 2 years. Not 10 or 50 years. Such a search for MH370, with the same effort as AF447, might as an average time take 10,000 or 100,000 years. Simply because instead of a few dozen square miles we would have to search a quite substantial part of planet earth, an area which is thousands of times greater.

What helps finding such things as the Titanic is the fact it consisted of more than 50,000 tonnes of iron. MH370 had a much higher percentage of aluminum with entieely different magnetic properties. I don't know the volume of steel or iron in a 777, but it is certainly thousands or times less than the Titanic.

Aaron747

Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:55 am

prebennorholm wrote:
T18 wrote:

It took 73 years. We knew in 1912 the Titanic position roughly as well as we knew AF447 in 2009.

Better equipment and more resources made us find AF447 in 2 years instead of 73 years.

If we assume that 2 years of search is a good average for finding something similar to AF447, then with what we know about the MH370 position a similar search would take a lot more time than 2 years. Not 10 or 50 years. Such a search for MH370, with the same effort as AF447, might as an average time take 10,000 or 100,000 years. Simply because instead of a few dozen square miles we would have to search a quite substantial part of planet earth, an area which is thousands of times greater.

What helps finding such things as the Titanic is the fact it consisted of more than 50,000 tonnes of iron. MH370 had a much higher percentage of aluminum with entieely different magnetic properties. I don't know the volume of steel or iron in a 777, but it is certainly thousands or times less than the Titanic.

Steel and titanium comprise about 18% of the B777. The vast majority is aluminum alloys and composites.

https://slideplayer.com/slide/10454463/ ... eing+s.jpg

Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:38 am

We are barking up the wrong tree with regard to steel content here. At that depth, the most effective tool is side-scan sonar, that can pick up the profile of large objects distinctly from the seabed clutter. So it's really size that matters, which means large sections of the aircraft have to be intact. Which may or may not be true for MH-370.

If the last location is relatively known, you can use drift and settling models to determine the underwater trajectory of the remnants as they fall thousands of feet to the bottom, to help predict the best place to use the side-scans. We don't have that for MH-370.

Once there are promising sonar signatures to investigate, then you have to do a visual seabed search, by going back & forth along the lines of a grid. The thing to hope for there, is that you cross a debris trail. If you find a piece of debris, you do a circular outward spiralling search until you find other pieces. Then follow the line formed by the pieces, in both directions, until the frequency of the debris increases. That tells you the correct direction of the line.

This is how the Titanic was found, and is still one of the best methods available today. It should be obvious that the single pass search area is very limited. Until you get onto a debris trail, it can be an extremely long and fruitless effort.

In the case of MH370, we don't even have a very good idea of where to scan, much less promising side-scan signatures. So really are still at the very beginning of the search process.

Once you understand the challenges involved, the question is not why it hasn't been found, it's that if we had found it in the small areas scanned thus far, that would be a miracle and extremely fortunate.

Gonzalo

New Netflix documentary about MH370

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:00 pm

Mods., not sure where to share this, just received a Netflix mail announcing a new documentary about MH370, tomorrow PM. Just sharing the info with those who don't get the mail updates.

Cheers!

Boeing757100

Re: New Netflix documentary about MH370

Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm

Gonzalo

Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:06 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:

Thank you for sharing!! I'm at work now and couldn't take the time to make a search.

Boeing757100

Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:03 pm

First episode airing today. Anyone who has seen it could share their opinions in this thread.

AAPilot48Heavy

Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:04 pm

Thanks for sharing. I'll watch it tonight.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:13 am

I've seen the trailer, but I don't think I'll watch it.

No doubt it's going to rehash old conspiracies and stories.

USAir707

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:19 am

I watched the first episode and it literally didn't cover a thing. Cool video clips, but rather boring so far...

alex0easy

Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:47 am

USAir707 wrote:
I watched the first episode and it literally didn't cover a thing. Cool video clips, but rather boring so far...

Well Netflix apparantly measures the success of a documentary by watched minutes, not by number of watchers.
So I won't be too surprised if they drag a story that could be done in one go in <90 minutes to 3x40-50 minute episodes.

Aaron747

Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:23 pm

USAir707 wrote:

The 3rd installment has good coverage of the issues with the debris finds and difficulty of matching parts to the incident aircraft.

pacificvoyager2

Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:24 pm

Thank you for the information!

Wednesdayite

Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:15 pm

I hope the family members who feature found it positive. Hopefully some kind of release.

Because it sure looked like they were being exploited by the doc. Window dressing for the nut job conspiracy theories.

randomdude83

Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:07 am

This documentary was all over for sure. I enjoyed it very much and some of it was out there in theory but I learned two things that stood out to me.

The Cathy pilot that said he witnessed a debris’s of fire that very night…I did not know that was reported and where was he in location?

2nd is how valid is that theory made that access to avionics is very easy and can disable the transponders and control the O2 system. The theory was that someone can control the 777 with a laptop from the avionics bay is too far for me but I do wonder about that if any one that works on the 777 can shed some light on that one.

Aaron747

Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:04 am

randomdude83 wrote:
This documentary was all over for sure. I enjoyed it very much and some of it was out there in theory but I learned two things that stood out to me.

The Cathy pilot that said he witnessed a debris’s of fire that very night…I did not know that was reported and where was he in location?

2nd is how valid is that theory made that access to avionics is very easy and can disable the transponders and control the O2 system. The theory was that someone can control the 777 with a laptop from the avionics bay is too far for me but I do wonder about that if any one that works on the 777 can shed some light on that one.

Overriding the FMS with a laptop seems incredibly far-fetched, even for a spy with a specific and practiced skillset. Also it would be a suicide mission on the part of 3 spies, how likely is that?

Chinese people are also not very passive by nature. Several other J passengers would just sit there while a non-airline guy with a bag opens the floor and starts messing with the plane? Even more unlikely.

SuperGee

Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:34 am

randomdude83 wrote:

My reaction when I saw that is that while it seems unlikely that access to the avionics bay played any part in the disappearance, I hope that if the hatches truly were not secured on 777's at that time, that they were quickly secured since then.

I thought that the series didn't have much new news and was mostly a rehash of conspiracy theories prevalent shortly after the plane disappeared. They seemed about as likely to me as the theory that TWA 800 was shot down by a missile launched by a ship and I found them hardly credible.

The show reinforced for me however just how immeasurably the families of those lost must still be suffering and I hope they will be able to somehow find some peace with their losses eventually.

Here is some more information on the show. I was surprised however that the show contained no information about Richard Godfrey, the physicist whose radio network apparently has succeeded in pinpointing the plane's final resting place more exactly. I later found out why he wasn't on the show and the second link below explains why.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wh ... r-AA18q8GV

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/mh3 ... ix-series/

Gonzalo

Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:53 pm

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/mh3 ... ix-series/[/quote]

Very interesting points of view exposed there. I'll make the time to see the Netflix show tonight.
The information in the link above seems to discredit the show's quality and/or sources credibility, but I'm used to form my own opinion after analyzing all the available information, so I'll watch the production anyway and then lets see what I think afterwards.

Thanks to all for the feedback provided! Cheers!

blandy62

Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:03 pm

the show is fine but just put of pieces together... the only point that still interresting in my opnion is what was in the belly of that plane

AAPilot48Heavy

Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:35 pm

I watched it at the gym and sadly, I’ll never get that time in my life back. It was an awful documentary that spent so much time on whackadoodle conspiracy ideas that it was not palatable to watch.

A well produced documentary would have gone into great detail about all the issues surrounding the pilot, but the only thing it really did was scratch the surface on his simulator flight plan and even tried to discredit that.

Some woman they spoke with was a complete dingbat, effectively saying that she spoke to friends and family of the Captain and there was no way he would have done it; he was a happy guy. Utter BS.

Now, as bad as I feel for the families of those lost on board, most of them are not living in any reality world either and believe these half-assed bozo theories.

It’s been 9 years. I’m not saying the pain of losing your loved one should go away, but it’s time to take off the bliding goggles about this being some huge cover up and make peace with not knowing. There are things every day that we don’t know or can’t explain. You have to move on. Grieve, but move forward. Knowing what happened now won’t bring the familes any more peace.

With 99.8% certainty, the pilot caused this and we know it, unless you are wearing a tinfoil hat.

Oh well…

zrs70

Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:59 pm

I thought the documentary was weird. The clock changing thing annoyed me as being overly dramatic.

AAPilot48Heavy

Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:37 pm

zrs70 wrote:
I thought the documentary was weird. The clock changing thing annoyed me as being overly dramatic.

Absolutely. I get it once or twics, but it was nonstop’, both forwards and backwards. I could never keep up with the dates on that ‘rotary wheel clock’ they kept using.

Gonzalo

Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:12 pm

Disappointed. 60 Minutes Australia has much better pieces of information in YouTube.
For sure Netflix was able to make a much better product, but apparently they were just in a hurry to put the show on the screens on March 8th and sell the fish no matter how smelly it was. We’ll have to keep waiting for better things in the future.

Arion640

Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:09 pm

There is now a netflix documentary out about MH370.

Some of the stuff in it is just wild. Someone remotely accessed the plane and flew it Kazakhstan as well as US AWAC’s that scrambled the planes communications with the ground.

What I do find interesting though and didn’t know before, is MH370 flew through 7 countries airspace that night and wasn’t picked up on anyones radar.

StarAC17

Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:37 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I've seen the trailer, but I don't think I'll watch it.

No doubt it's going to rehash old conspiracies and stories.

And how it did just that. Most of it was weird theories that those presenting it were like, yeah this is nonsense but I'm going with it. I found it nonsensical that they tried to connect MH17 with MH370.

Aaron747 wrote:
randomdude83 wrote:

Overriding the FMS with a laptop seems incredibly far-fetched, even for a spy with a specific and practiced skillset. Also it would be a suicide mission on the part of 3 spies, how likely is that?

Chinese people are also not very passive by nature. Several other J passengers would just sit there while a non-airline guy with a bag opens the floor and starts messing with the plane? Even more unlikely.

This seemed the most far fetched that a passenger is going to go under a compartment without anyone noticing and trying to stop it especially in a post 9/11 world. Also in this case wouldn't the plane have landed safely and the spies having some degree of O2 to survive the trip or they re-pressurize the cabin after everyone has succumbed to hypoxia.

I actually think that is what the captain did. He depressurized the cabin killing all of the crew and I believe the O2 masks on the flight deck give you an hour of Oxygen. Once everyone is passed out/dead he re-pressurizes the cabin and controls the aircraft to the very last second. He essentially did an ET 961/US 1549 and controlled the aircraft into the water with the landing gear down. If you watch the footage of ET 961 the aircraft stayed remarkably intact and depending on the water conditions he could have done it like Sully did and ditched it perfectly (unlikely as the southern Indian Ocean is not calm) and if it sank largely intact there wouldn't be a debris field on the surface that would attract attention.

From the debris found there had to be some break up because there was a seatback TV frame and some other components from the cabin but most of the parts found were external components. It wouldn't be a mass break up like AF447 though.