Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Advice on Solo Traveling Through Asia

Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:52 am

In June and July I'll be traveling solo to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, and various cities in Japan. I'm white, so I can't exactly blend in like I can in Western Europe (until I start talking anyways). With those two factors it seems like it'll be difficult not to attract unwanted attention, including from people who take advantage of tourists through pickpocketing, scamming, etc.

I've been researching traveling solo in these places, and of course there's obvious advice like keeping valuables secure and not getting tricked into giving money. I already know that stuff, some of it learned the hard way like in Vienna in 2015 when a woman took 100 Euros from me. Since that experience I've been more confident saying no or just ignoring people asking me for money, but there are still times when my guard is lowered a little too much, like in Paris in 2021 when a woman kept aggressively asking me for money and reached for one of my pockets.

I'm sure the places in Asia I mentioned get tons of solo travelers including from Western Europe and the USA, and I'm sure I'll have a great time seeing these places. But does anyone have advice for staying vigilant while still enjoying myself even though I'm in places where I'll stick out?

TheFlyingDisk

Re: Advice on Solo Traveling Through Asia

Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:19 am

I don't think you need to worry about traveling solo in Singapore. The city's no doubt even safer than your point of origin!

Also I think you'd be fine in Kuala Lumpur. There are plenty of white folks in the city that you can be somewhat inconspicuous, even if you can't totally go invisible. Transportation-wise, avoid taking the cabs, as some are known to price gouge unsuspecting tourists. I suggest using the Grab ridesharing app instead, since Uber & Lyft aren't available here. But if you have to use a cab, then insist on using the meter or else don't get in. As for trains, it's ok if you stick to the CBD but if you want to travel further out towards the outskirts, they're not well connected. Plus they're in the midst of upgrading so it can be a bit unreliable (last year we had a major shutdown on one of the lines heading into the city due to maintenance issues).

One more thing, I think it's best if you don't travel around the city with a sling bag. Snatch thieves are somewhat common and while instances have died down much recently, you can't be too careful. And if you're ever approached by a beggar while having a meal at an open air cafe, like you said, just ignore them. We have problems with Rohingyan syndicates running beggars around the city. If you give them an inch they'll ask for a mile & turn nasty if they don't get what they want, so better to ignore them in the beginning.

Mortyman

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:54 am

I don't think you will have a problem in Singapore and JApan. Kuala Lumpour amd Taipei I can not comment on.

But general safty precautions should be taken, wherever you travel:

Don't walk around with expensive jewlery

Don't show off big wads of cash. Only bring the amount you think you need that day and keep the rest in the hotel safe.

Keep your cash and cards seperate and preferably in an inside pocket.

Keep a small camera or a mobilephone that you can easely take out and quickly put back in your pocket when photo is taken. If you insist on bringing a big DSLR camera, make sure it is in a bag with straps that are made of material that can't be cut.

Don't walk on beaches when it's dark.

Sounds like a lot, but it's really common sence

I will say that it's far more likely to be robbed in Rome and Rio de Janeiro, than Japan and Singapore.

bluecrew

Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:10 am

Wallet deep in the pocket, head on a swivel. Keep your cell phone in your pocket as much as you can, preferably keep all of that in the front pocket, arms distance from people unless you're transacting. Ideally I've been told you want to keep your wallet and cell in your front pockets and deep down.
Generally speaking, all of the places you've named are very safe, especially Japan. I never had an issue in Taipei either.

I spent ~3 years flying in SE Asia, spent lots of time in the area. A lot of the stigma is around tourist crimes in Thailand and similar places - tourism-heavy spots have the standard grifters, thieves, pimps, etc.

100% agree with no crossbody bags, that's a really bad idea. I used to wear a lightweight, knockoff backpack that I'd fill with things I didn't care about, and keep the important things on my person. Also, empty your wallet as much as practical, just bring a payment card and some cash, and your license for identification. Lock the passport up.

Beautiful part of the world, and to be honest, my favorite. I hope you have a great time. Life and career prevent it, but I would consider a move back. It was the stupidest, poorest, most ridiculous time of my life, and I'd kill to do it all again.

Kent350787

Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:32 am

If I was wandering around the markets in Petaling St in KL I might be concerned, but nowhere else. It's not Singapore sanitised, but it's certainly a modern safe city (apart from taxi ripoffs) in the most touristed areas. I'm a 6'3" blonde aussie guy and the crowds in Petaling St were my only worry, and probably mainly because I don't like crowds.

Aaron747

Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:48 am

Japan is not completely safe, especially for the unfamiliar and those seeking nightlife. You mentioned a couple times getting taken by women, and if you go to certain bars in major Japanese cities, it's not unheard of for foreigners (and drunk locals) to be shocked with unexpectedly massive bills - refuse and you'll find out the owner is friends with Yakuza or worse. There are also young hoodlums who wandeer in groups drunk after dark and sometimes feel like taking on a foreigner. Other than that, it's pretty much safe...you can leave a PC or bag as a placeholder for a seat in a cafe and it'll definitely still be there 15 minutes later.

Do your research on transportation - there's often more than one option for where you want to go and you can waste a lot of time choosing the wrong thing.

zakuivcustom

Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:27 pm

Having been to all those...

Singapore - Perfectly safe. Fair amount of expats there anyway.
KL - Just take standard precaution and you'll be fine...it's probably safer than Bangkok which itself is mostly safe.
Taipei - As safe as Singapore.
Japan - Other than those precaution from Aaron747, Japan is as safe as it can gets lol. Property crimes are insanely rare TBH. It's possibly the only country in the world where I won't fear leaving things unattended, something that I won't even do in cities like Hong Kong (and I'm born in HK...).

tl;dr: The part of Asia you're heading into is probably among the most "solo traveler friendly". Have fun!

PhilBy

Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:44 pm

Never accept an invitation to have a coffee with someone who claims to have a relative going to university in your home town. I had that in KL. As I'm allergic to coffee it wasn't a problem for me but it has been for many.
Always have 2 wallets: one easily accessible with little in it and a second well secured with the rest.

zakuivcustom

Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:13 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
Having been to all those...

Singapore - Perfectly safe. Fair amount of expats there anyway.
KL - Just take standard precaution and you'll be fine...it's probably safer than Bangkok which itself is mostly safe.
Taipei - As safe as Singapore.
Japan - Other than those precaution from Aaron747, Japan is as safe as it can gets lol. Property crimes are insanely rare TBH. It's possibly the only country in the world where I won't fear leaving things unattended, something that I won't even do in cities like Hong Kong (and I'm born in HK...).

tl;dr: The part of Asia you're heading into is probably among the most "solo traveler friendly". Have fun!

Adding a little bit about Taipei - the #1 things you should probably worry about is traffic safety...

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/taiw ... index.html

Taiwan drivers are quite aggressive and the amount of motorbikes doesn't help. Taipei itself should be fine especially in the more "touristy" area but things can be as bad as mainland China when it comes to following traffic rules.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:35 pm

Thank you for the responses!

I'm also considering taking the ferry from Singapore to Batam and the train from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar just to add Indonesia and Thailand to the list of countries I've visited. After a little research it looks like the ferry to/from Batam is easy and safe to do, but I'm unsure about crossing the Malaysia-Thailand border (not even sure if it's possible to do that as a day trip).

zakuivcustom

Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
Thank you for the responses!

I'm also considering taking the ferry from Singapore to Batam and the train from Kuala Lumpur to Padang Besar just to add Indonesia and Thailand to the list of countries I've visited. After a little research it looks like the ferry to/from Batam is easy and safe to do, but I'm unsure about crossing the Malaysia-Thailand border (not even sure if it's possible to do that as a day trip).

KL <-> Padang Besar in a day is possible, but you are essentially wasting a whole day riding the train back and forth.

The first train from KL to PB departs at 7am and arrive around 1pm, and the last train from PB depart at 1630-ish and get to KL in 2230 or so (at least according to the schedule I googled). The train ride do take 6 hrs...

This is definitely different than Singapore to Batam which takes like 45mins.

Braybuddy

Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:15 pm

Asia is one of the least dangerous places in the world for solo travellers. I've never had any trouble in any of the places I've visited there, but then I do take a few precautions. I tend to bring older clothes with me, not wanting to look as if I was worth robbing. The only scam I've experienced is girls coming up to me, wanting me to take them for a coffee or a drink "to learn English", but these are easily brushed off. Like most other places, taxi drivers can try and add value to the fare, but they are usually so cheap that they're not worth arguing over. Just make sure you fix a figure in advance.

I carry a large DLSR with me openly, with the straps wrapped round my wrist, but I've never had anyone, ANYWHERE, try to rob it. I reckon thieves just aren't interested in such bulky items nowadays. A high-value smartphone is a much more attractive, and easier, option for thieves.

Aesma

Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:57 pm

What is the scam with people inviting you for coffee ? I mean what are they trying to sell you ?

bluecrew

Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:05 pm

Aesma wrote:
What is the scam with people inviting you for coffee ? I mean what are they trying to sell you ?

I'm not aware of one. I met a very nice guy at the Sunday Walking Market in Chiang Mai one afternoon who invited me for coffee. We had a nice chat, he just wanted to meet an American I guess. Ended up going to Kafe 1985, having the tower of beer, and a ton of delicious food. Still stay in occasional touch.
Didn't ask for any money, nothing. I picked up dinner because it was US$25.

A lot of the friendliness in SE Asia is misinterpreted by some of our western brains as being inherently suspicious, a lot of the time it just comes from a good place.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:05 am

bluecrew wrote:
Aesma wrote:

I'm not aware of one. I met a very nice guy at the Sunday Walking Market in Chiang Mai one afternoon who invited me for coffee. We had a nice chat, he just wanted to meet an American I guess. Ended up going to Kafe 1985, having the tower of beer, and a ton of delicious food. Still stay in occasional touch.
Didn't ask for any money, nothing. I picked up dinner because it was US$25.

A lot of the friendliness in SE Asia is misinterpreted by some of our western brains as being inherently suspicious, a lot of the time it just comes from a good place.

When traveling abroad my western brain always has alarm bells ringing when a stranger randomly starts talking to me. Doesn't help that I have social anxiety, but I tend to expect that they're going to ask for money right away or start off with some story that leads to asking for money. Should I try to have a different mindset in Asia?

TWA772LR

Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:42 am

If you feel sketched out, minimum is to put your hands in your pockets protecting your phone and wallet and other valuables. If I bump in to someone or accidentally cut someone off I say извините пожалуйста to have plausible deniability of not looking like an American.

I also have a money wallet that has a zipper on the inside to stash some emergency backup cash when I travel solo.

Keep your wits about yourself and go with your gut. Those are the best tips to stay safe.

As for Japan, it's a very safe place and Tokyo is pretty easy to get around with just a smart phone. You should be pretty well off in Japan but the rule of thumb is to still watch your surroundings no matter what, just like any city on the planet.

sierrakilo44

Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:00 am

af773atmsp wrote:
In June and July I'll be traveling solo to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, and various cities in Japan.

First off congratulations as solo travel is one of life’s best experiences, a chance to learn and develop yourself and your thinking.

But does anyone have advice for staying vigilant while still enjoying myself even though I'm in places where I'll stick out?

I’ve traveled to far more dangerous places with higher crimes rates like South American and sub Saharan Africa so the principles that apply there apply in Asia as well. In general I also apply these principles in my home country so they are my standard way of getting around a city.

Never wear flashy jewellery, expensive clothes or designer bags. It helps that I have no interest in wearing them and always dress plainly and never to stand out.

Always keep your phone, wallet, passport and hotel keys either in a zippered pants pocket or a secure bag. I use products from “Pacsafe”, which make high quality secure bags that have anti theft protections. Also means you can avoid wearing your backpack on your front which makes you look like a tourist from miles away!

Be aware of your surroundings, what people you are nearby and if you are walking into a dead end deserted alley type situation.

Try not to go to deserted parts of the city, stay amongst people all the time. In those Asian cities they’ll be jammed packed with people in most places at all times of night too so not really a problem.

I don’t know where you are staying, there’s various tips I’d give for staying in a hotel vs a hostel. Conversely staying in a hostel can give you a chance to meet people and participate in activities together, which brings your risk down as compared to being alone all the time.

Generally it’s just about being aware (but not afraid) of where you are, who’s around you and where your valuables are. This applies anywhere you are.

jrbarton

Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:03 am

Aesma wrote:

They will take you into a restaurant or bar and then you will get a bill for $1000 and you will be pressured into signing this. This is very common in Shanghai on East Nanjing Rd. A 20 year old Chinese girl isn’t going to come up to a 48 year old westerner in public for anything other than a scam

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:15 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Never wear flashy jewellery, expensive clothes or designer bags. It helps that I have no interest in wearing them and always dress plainly and never to stand out.

LOL in Singapore or Tokyo or even Taipei where people carry designer handbags all the time? Well, KL also but some of them are probably counterfeit :).

Dutchy

Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:54 pm

af773atmsp wrote:
In June and July I'll be traveling solo to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Taipei, and various cities in Japan. I'm white, so I can't exactly blend in like I can in Western Europe (until I start talking anyways). With those two factors it seems like it'll be difficult not to attract unwanted attention, including from people who take advantage of tourists through pickpocketing, scamming, etc.

I've been researching traveling solo in these places, and of course there's obvious advice like keeping valuables secure and not getting tricked into giving money. I already know that stuff, some of it learned the hard way like in Vienna in 2015 when a woman took 100 Euros from me. Since that experience I've been more confident saying no or just ignoring people asking me for money, but there are still times when my guard is lowered a little too much, like in Paris in 2021 when a woman kept aggressively asking me for money and reached for one of my pockets.

I'm sure the places in Asia I mentioned get tons of solo travelers including from Western Europe and the USA, and I'm sure I'll have a great time seeing these places. But does anyone have advice for staying vigilant while still enjoying myself even though I'm in places where I'll stick out?

Just say no and walk away when people ask for money, don't make eye contact with those people from a distance. You have traveled a bit, so I guess you are not that naive anymore. Take the normal precautions and you should be fine.

Even if you get robbed, it is better to enjoy yourself than be vigilant all the time and scared of what might happen. Tons of people travel there solo, so just enjoy yourself.

sierrakilo44

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:52 am

zakuivcustom wrote:
LOL in Singapore or Tokyo or even Taipei where people carry designer handbags all the time? Well, KL also but some of them are probably counterfeit :).

But it’s a hassle, they’re expensive, unnecessary, you aren’t going to gain anything by wearing a designer handbag and just stand to have an expensive purchase lost or stolen if you aren’t careful.

I’ve traveled a lot and never have seen the need to travel with expensive items to look good. Simple, plain and practical is my motto when it comes to travel packing.

sierrakilo44

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:54 am

zakuivcustom wrote:

But it’s a hassle, they’re expensive, unnecessary, you aren’t going to gain anything by wearing a designer handbag and just stand to have an expensive purchase lost or stolen if you aren’t careful.

I’ve traveled a lot and never have seen the need to travel with expensive items to look good. Simple, plain and practical is my motto when it comes to travel packing.

I also limit my packing to carry on luggage only, can easily pack for a multi month trip. The less stuff you bring the less you risk losing or having stolen of course.

af773atmsp
Topic Author

Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:04 am

My motto is function over fashion, so I won't need to worry about anything fashionable getting stolen. Besides the clothes I'm wearing pretty much the only things I'll have while walking around a city is my wallet and iPhone.

zakuivcustom

Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:14 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
zakuivcustom wrote:

I also limit my packing to carry on luggage only, can easily pack for a multi month trip. The less stuff you bring the less you risk losing or having stolen of course.

It's not something I would personally do either actually - all I'm saying is that places like Singapore or Tokyo I wouldn't worry too much about using "designer brand" making one stick out...or things like wearing a Rolex (ok that falls more under "flashy jewelry").

The chances of you getting rob in Singapore, Taipei, and Tokyo is close to zero. Even KL it's very rare (although pickpockets do exist).