Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A101

Re: NZ PM Arden to Resign

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:39 am

There was nothing spectacular about Arden all she did was what most polies do and exploit the situation to their best advantage and she and her handlers did it well.

https://unherd.com/2023/01/what-was-the ... da-ardern/

sierrakilo44

Sat Jan 21, 2023 3:49 am

Toenga wrote:
One has to suspect that it is the more socially liberal policies and practices, gay rights, sexual equalities, and indigenous rights, and remedies, that are at the heart of the motivation behind the vehement dislike of her by some locally and offshore.

I know after the Christchurch massacre she copped incredible amounts of hate. Firstly for wearing a headscarf to express solidarity with the Muslim community attracted hate from the conservative right for “pandering to Muslims”. And then increasing NZ’s gun laws to ban the sale of the weapons used in the massacre attracted hate from conservative gun nuts moaning about their “freedom being stolen”.

Toenga

Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:35 am

A101 wrote:
There was nothing spectacular about Arden all she did was what most polies do and exploit the situation to their best advantage and she and her handlers did it well.

https://unherd.com/2023/01/what-was-the ... da-ardern/

Undoubtably there is a lot of validity on what this author says.
Where her government failed was to significantly under deliver on some overly ambitious targets in the social sphere, and related new house supply.
There was some success in housing supply though, new house builds are underway at a decades high level.
The authors point about the initial very stringent covid response being necessitated by the lack of health system capacity is valid.
But this shortage of capacity was very much the result of the under investment during the 9 year term of the previous conservative government

All has to be seen though in the context that covid was a huge disruption to business as usual.
So much was actually done with no world precedent.
Don't forget that covid bubble, and covid response levels were devised in about the first week of our response.

Covid business continuity measures undoubtedly played a huge part on the spike in house prices.
But to give Robertson his credit NZ was I think was only the second in the world to start raising interest rates as a corrective measure that followed the earlier measure of a relitively early cessation of quantitative easing. So we were at the front if applying corrective actions.

Current youth delinquency is in large part a result of the interruption of schooling as a covid control measure.

The fact that by GDP measures, life expectancy change, current public debt measures, wage growth and low unemployment and under employment we are in such an enviable position indicates that we were fortunate to have the government we have.

Luzon was promoting purpose built quarantine facilities, that would have sucked considerable very scarce construction resources away from more needed projects, no way could the design and construction of complex residential buildings have been completed before MIQ became redundant and we would now be saddled with a very expensive white elephant. So much for his commercial judgement.

Kiwirob

Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:13 pm

zkojq wrote:
Kiwirob wrote:
Helen and Shipley weren't given as much stick, especially Helen because she was far more competent and fit to lead than Ardern.

Not sure about Shipley, but hard disagree on Helen Clark. There was an enormous amount of misogyny abuse directed her way constantly from attacking her for being childless, 'Ditch the bitc#' bumper stickers, the derogatory "Auntie Helen" label and a whopping amount of misogyny about her appearance in the wake of the Placard Scandal (which itself was a self-own from Labour, entirely brought on by themseles). I remember this very well and my peers and I were very much part of it. Quite shameful. There was also that nasty rap song, but I can't remember the source of it.

Helen could be very nasty though, which Ardern isn't. I don't remember Shipley being nasty, but I could be wrong.

Kiwirob wrote:
People from the left were hurling terrible abuse at Key, if he's brought up in the media today the abuse continues.

What terrible abuse gets hurled at Key? People pointing out that he was corrupt? People mentioning him fondling the lady's Pony Tail against her will?

Kiwirob wrote:
The best chance NZ had of electing a Maori PM was in 2020, Simon Bridges is Maori as was his deputy Paula Bennett. I voted for him

What on earth are you talking about?? Simon Bridges got rolled by Todd Muller (and Nikki Kaye) in May 2020 because he has the same amount of charisma as Andrew Little which reflected in the polls. He was never the leader of his party going into an election.

Kiwirob wrote:
Maori didn't because most Maori don't consider him Maori enough. Same with Winston Peters, too well spoken and not maori enough.

Nonsense. Winston was [and still is] hugely popular amongst the Maori community.

Are we talking about the same Winston Peters. The Winston I’m talking about said the following

[wuote] And we say Hone and Mere because the mass majority of Maori are not fluent in Maori. The mass majority of ‘Maori’ are far less than half Maori in their ethnic makeup. Yet despite this, false claims are made on the number of Māori kNew Zealand. It’s not 14%. It’s not 10%. It’s not even 6%. That’s why Labour changed the definition of a Maori for electoral purposes as long ago as 1975. Before that, one had to be half Maori or more to get on the Maori roll.

Since then, the only requirement is to ‘prove’ a Maori ancestor in one’s background’. That could be 1 part Maori in 512.

We are New Zealanders first. It’s in our party’s name. Not second, third, fourth or thirty first, but New Zealanders first. Unity not Division[/quote]

http://www.voxy.co.nz/politics/5/410314

Me I like him, if he had stayed with the National Party I’m sure he would have been PM at some point.

readytotaxi

Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:41 pm

It would be nice in the UK if a leader was not up to the job would say so and resign. :checkmark:

alfa164

Sun Jan 22, 2023 12:40 am

readytotaxi wrote:
It would be nice in the UK if a leader was not up to the job would say so and resign. :checkmark:

It has been a while since any UK "leader" was up to the job...

:roll:

Jalap

Sun Jan 22, 2023 3:58 pm

Jacinda Ardern is one of a very rare kind of politicians that made me think there may be a future for mankind after all.

Humans generally want to be led by "schoolyard bully" kind of politicians. People who find greatness in bashing "the others". Inflated ego's who lie, decieve, ignore reality and drive up conflict to push through their hidden agenda's.
Most world leaders are horrible people.

Ardern isn't. She's a class act. She made me think VERY highly of New Zealand and its population.

Pi7472000

Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:59 pm

Jalap wrote:
Jacinda Ardern is one of a very rare kind of politicians that made me think there may be a future for mankind after all.

Humans generally want to be led by "schoolyard bully" kind of politicians. People who find greatness in bashing "the others". Inflated ego's who lie, decieve, ignore reality and drive up conflict to push through their hidden agenda's.

Ardern isn't. She's a class act. She made me think VERY highly of New Zealand and its population.

I agree! She is a model for future politicians. It says great things about the people of New Zealand who have supported her.

Toenga

Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:29 pm

Pi7472000 wrote:
Jalap wrote:

I agree! She is a model for future politicians. It says great things about the people of New Zealand who have supported her.

Very unfortunately some of the local opposition to her, and their vile statements, and in some cases actual acts, says far from great things, about some of us here. We cannot afford be complacent, in this world, wherever we live.

Kiwirob

Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:53 pm

Jalap wrote:

You’re more than welcome to her.

Vio

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:01 am

Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:
Vio wrote:
Good! She's NZ's version of "Wonderboy" Justin Trudeau. Their style of woke politics are hurting New Zealand and my own (Canada).

Something tells me NZ will be better off. She was horrible.

How many Kiwi colleagues/relatives/friends do you have? How many times have you been to NZ? Something tells me you might know very little about the situation there.

Not sure who you're asking... but if you're asking me, I have been to NZ and AUS and I do have friends there. The only thing I need to know is that she was an ally and supportive leader of Justin Trudeau. That's enough for me know what type of leftwing extremist(s) she supports.

No thank you. The free world does not need that type of ultra-left policy. (And I consider myself a very centre type of guy)

Kent350787

Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:03 am

Vio wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:
NIKV69 wrote:

Something tells me NZ will be better off. She was horrible.

How many Kiwi colleagues/relatives/friends do you have? How many times have you been to NZ? Something tells me you might know very little about the situation there.

Not sure who you're asking... but if you're asking me, I have been to NZ and AUS and I do have friends there. The only thing I need to know is that she was an ally and supportive leader of Justin Trudeau. That's enough for me know what type of leftwing extremist(s) she supports.

No thank you. The free world does not need that type of ultra-left policy. (And I consider myself a very centre type of guy)

You may consider yourself centre-left, but referring to Trudeau and Ardern (and I suppose now Albanese in Australia) as supporters of "ultra-left policy" shows you really aren't except in right wing extremist parts of the world.