Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sbworcs
Topic Author

San Francisco in November

Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:41 pm

I have been incredibly lucky and my family have just given me a weeks trip to San Francisco in November for my 50th Birthday

I last visited in 2008 so know that a lot will have changed!

Will be staying near Union Square and looking for recommendations for places to eat and things to do!

Any help gratefully received!

FGITD

Re: San Francisco in November

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:28 pm

I know this will get touted in the wrong way, but very seriously…if you rent a car or anything, absolutely do no leave anything in it at any time.

Otherwise I always recommend the harbor cruises. And that applies to pretty much every city I’ve lived in that offers them. It’s a bit touristy, but it really gives you a phenomenal view of the city, the bridges, etc.

Newark727

Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 pm

I enjoyed getting a tour of the 19th-century sailing ship on Hyde Street Pier, but I'm a bit of a grognard so YMMV. The Nike surface-to-air missile site on the north side of the Golden Gate Bridge is supposed to be very cool, but limited hours, so I haven't made it there yet.

seb146

Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:27 am

Japantown or Chinatown for food. Pretty much anything that is not a chain. There is Burrito Express, a hole-in-the-wall burrito place on 26th and Taraval, that is great. Anything inside the Ferry Building, too. If you make it to the North Bay, Oliver's Market (four locations only in Sonoma County) has a great selection of food and the cheese shop in Sonoma on the Plaza near Mission Solano has good barbecue.

Aaron747

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:14 am

sbworcs wrote:
I have been incredibly lucky and my family have just given me a weeks trip to San Francisco in November for my 50th Birthday

I last visited in 2008 so know that a lot will have changed!

Will be staying near Union Square and looking for recommendations for places to eat and things to do!

Any help gratefully received!

To enhance advice upthread, it’s actually best to rent a lower end model car. And you can also rent a model on the ‘hard to break into’ list, if available.

Pi7472000

Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:52 am

You can ride the ferry over to Alameda from the ferry building for wine tasting over on the old naval base. They have some amazing wine tasting areas over there with amazing view back toward the city. Forbidden Island is one of the best Tiki Bars in the country, but opens after 4 usually. Trader Vicks is fun in Emeryville as well with nice views. Webster and Park streets are really nice to walk along in Alameda and then you can ride the ferry back to the ferry building in the City. In SF the Tonga Room is a great tiki bar.

Firenze by Night is a really fun Italian place in Little Italy. Pier 23 is great for lunch and has great view off the embarcadero. You can usually get a great seat if you get there when it opens at 11:30. The Waterfront Bar on the embarcadero has a great HH too. I love Japantown as well and the parks across the city are amazing. House of Xian Dumpling is great for soup dumplings in Chinatown. Land's End is an easy hike/walk with amazing views. I could go on and on about the Bay Area. It is the best area in the U.S. It is so amazing and November is a great time of year there. You will have a wonderful time!! People are so friendly and there is so much to do and see if you want.

ACDC8

Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:21 am

Ask where to find the nuclear wessels :lol:

Aaron747

Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:41 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Ask where to find the nuclear wessels :lol:

Just don't ask in front of SFPD :lol:

wingman

Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:14 pm

If you tire of the city tourist attractions and areas go spend some time in Golden Gate Park and look up eateries and bars in the avenues (9th and Irving area is nice and just off the park), Fillmore, Mission, Hayes Valley, Duboce, Castro, Noe Valley etc. Of these the Mission is probably the sketchiest (my old neighborhood), but it has some incredible street art and seriously world-class eating options anywhere from a $9 burrito (+ 5 years of inflation) to a $50 entree at the pricey joints. The downtown area doesn't have many redeeming qualities these days but the Ferry Building is always a sure bet. Stay away from the Financial District and especially Market Street and the Civic Center at night. The local neighborhoods are still quintessentially "San Francisco" in my opinion and still make SF one of the great American cities.