Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

New Plane Thriller Book FALLING Is Getting a Film Adaptation

Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:19 am

https://geektyrant.com/news/a-new-plane ... 35000-feet

Pretty impressive that the film rights were bought before the book is even released. Does anyone else get the feeling the plot is basically a rehash of Airport 77 ?

Re: New Plane Thriller Book FALLING Is Getting a Film Adaptation

Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:14 am

The best aIrcraft novel is Michael Creighton's "Airframe" from 1996, which was eerily prescient of the MAX accidents. He captured the dynamics of accident investigation and the efforts by the media, airline, and host nation to steer the narrative. But the truth eventually comes out.

However the cost of production for "Airframe" was deemed far too high, since much of the action takes place in an aircraft assembly building, and details the examination and testing of the recovered aircraft. So no film, unfortunately.

In contrast, these novels from an ex-flight attendents sound more like 70's era disaster movies. But popcorn flicks that might make money, which is the name of the game.

TheFlyingDisk

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:25 am

The best aIrcraft novel is Michael Creighton's "Airframe" from 1996, which was eerily prescient of the MAX accidents. He captured the dynamics of accident investigation and the efforts by the media, airline, and host nation to steer the narrative. But the truth eventually comes out.

However the cost of production for "Airframe" was deemed far too high, since much of the action takes place in an aircraft assembly building, and details the examination and testing of the recovered aircraft. So no film, unfortunately.

In contrast, these novels from an ex-flight attendents sound more like 70's era disaster movies. But popcorn flicks that might make money, which is the name of the game.

Maybe today, with CGI, it's possible to have it done more cheaply? Airframe is too good of a book not to be turned into a movie, especially since it's so relevant to today. I see all the events in the book when I look at the MAX fiasco, really.

Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:48 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Maybe today, with CGI, it's possible to have it done more cheaply? Airframe is too good of a book not to be turned into a movie, especially since it's so relevant to today. I see all the events in the book when I look at the MAX fiasco, really.

Totally agree. I would love to see the film version. I've been somewhat amazed that the media has not caught on to the parallels between the book and the MAX crisis. But then again, the book was not very complimentary to the media, and the sensationalism that they pursue.

Creighton's history with "60 Minutes" played a large role in his portrayal of the media in "Airframe". He really hated the framing of stories to push an agenda, which began with the news magazine format. That too, has ended up to be prophetic, as it has come to dominate many news outlets today.

910A

Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:46 pm

Falling was released in 2021. TJ Newman new book "Drowning" is to be release May 30th. Falling is not a rehash of Airport 77. She does a good job with the twist and turns..

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:51 pm

alberchico wrote:
https://geektyrant.com/news/a-new-plane-thriller-book-falling-is-getting-a-film-adaptation-described-as-jaws-at-35000-feet

Pretty impressive that the film rights were bought before the book is even released. Does anyone else get the feeling the plot is basically a rehash of Airport 77 ?

Not really. This happens a lot more than you would think. The Expanse was written with that development in mind, and as a result, things worked out really well, if somewhat expensively, there. Series development began as the first novel was released.

910A wrote:
Falling was released in 2021. TJ Newman new book "Drowning" is to be release May 30th. Falling is not a rehash of Airport 77.

Agree. It is not that.

910A wrote:
She does a good job with the twist and turns..

Depends on who you ask. I felt it was adequate, going towards boiler plate. She does not sacrifice pacing for character development, and that makes these adaptations more appealing; the less development, the less the perception that an author would be "married" to story details and thus more likely to sell and less likely to insist on caveats.

I certainly do not regret the time spent reading it, but I would not say there is anything ground breaking or unexpected there either.

Aesma

Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:10 am

DIRECTFLT

Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:09 pm

I have read few novels in my life. I guess I'm picky. But a novel I did read and thoroughly enjoy was Robert Serling's "The President's Plane Is Missing."

I would like a great screenplay to be written and filmed for a feature release. The Made For TV movie based on the book did not do it justice, imo.

910A

Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:32 pm

T.J. Newman's second novel "Drowning" on May 30th. Very good read.. As the story develop I found myself just turning to the next page, seeing what is unfolding next in the rescue.

After working for Virgin America and Alaska Airlines, she was furloughed during the early days of the pandemic and never returned to the skies. Simon & Schuster announced a seven-figure deal for two books in February 2021, and her best-selling debut novel published that summer. Both novels sparked bidding wars for the film rights, and a third book is in the works.
“You don’t work in an industry like aviation for 10 years and only have one idea like that,” she said.
Newman’s inspiration for “Drowning” came as she flew yet another red-eye from Hawaii to Los Angeles and thought about how she was gazing out the window at a void. If something went wrong, she wondered, how would anyone save them? How would the people on board save themselves?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... tj-newman/

Nomadd

Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:39 pm

People are so cute, when they think any aviation movie will ever top Airplane.

ER757

Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:47 pm

Nomadd wrote:

Shirley you can't be serious :smile:

scbriml

Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:07 pm

ER757 wrote:
Nomadd wrote:

Shirley you can't be serious :smile:

It’s an entirely different kind of movie, altogether.