Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

RE: $60/year For A.net Forums Too Rich For My Blood!

Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:10 pm

ROFL ... I don't believe that for a minute . .. i've figured you out now .. you just have to have the last say....

Laugh out loud

ADG

ckw

Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:47 pm

Thoughts on this - OK, I screen , contribute to the forums and add pics. Why should I pay? Well apart from some of the forum content, 2 things irritate me about this site:

1 - pop-up ads. My $5 makes them go away

2 - performance - when this site gets busy, uploading, browsing etc. can be a real pain. All the solutions to this cost money. It's got to come from somewhere.

No one is forced to pay, and if the added value doesn't appeal then don't. But IMHO those who choose not to pay should also forfit any thoughts of complaining about site performance ... if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Cheers,

Colin
Colin K. Work, Pixstel

Thu Mar 20, 2003 1:04 am

Sorry, ADG. I'm done talking to you.

'Speed

[Edited 2003-03-19 17:08:14]

MD-90

Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:23 am

I joined airliners.net when I was 15 years old. I knew about the site for a year (or so) before I joined. There were plenty of users here when I joined.

Here's the thing. I'm in college. While I don't go to some overpriced Ivy League school that doesn't teach you much that's useful, instead preferring to indoctrinate you, I'm not on a full ride at MSU. I do have to pay some tuition and the dorm.

I do spend $60/year for my EAA membership. In return, I get full acces to EAA's website, discounts to Oshkosh (we're going this year! woohoo!), Experimenter magazine, Sport Aviation magazine, and numerous member benefits that are only a phone call away. That $60 is worth it to me. $60 for the forums is not.

[Edited 2003-03-19 21:41:18]

Dazed767

Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:55 am

Awhile back they were talking about adding more features to the First Class membership, if they do (and if it seems worthwhile, I may fork over the money). Right now the pop-ups don't bother me enough to pay it.

There are still a hand full of us that have been around for years (I remember when there was 15,000 photos on here!). We were like Johan's guinea pigs when he added new forums, added new features etc etc. In a way, we were the ones who helped him turn this site into what it is today. If all of a sudden I had to pay for it, I would be a bit upset.

kaddyuk

Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:12 am

airliners.net got me into aviation

The only problem now is that what has been said above:

Its not only the pictures that make this site worth while, but just look at other large sites.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com
http://www.yaxay.com

Now it maybe true that they dont use as much system resources as a.net but I know that YaxaY has a monthly bandwidth usage of over 500gb.

Look at Avsim.com they use 2-3TB (Terrabytes = 1000gb I think) a month. They manage to survive thru adverts. I am in the webdesign industry and I know that this site if it gets 18,000,000 views per month we are looking at triple figures for hosting. Which works out at the same as Avsim.com (In terms of bandwidth).and they can go for free. Maybe Airliners.net should follow suite ??

I have friends who want to join in the forums but cant because of the FC membership. I think that the forums should be free so that they can be made better with extra users.
Whoever said "laughter is the best medicine" never had Gonorrhea

Soku39

Tue Mar 25, 2003 7:37 am

Kaddyuk quantity of forum users does not equal a quality forum.
The Ohio Player

airhead711

Tue Mar 25, 2003 12:23 pm

I wouldn't pay 60 cents for this forum.Unless your anti-american,then you would fit right in and have a ball bashing america.

Scott
"Support the Troops"

Tue Mar 25, 2003 3:01 pm

This whole anti-american stuff is getting really old ...

Paranoid, incorrect rubbish coming from whiners that don't like others having an opinion.

ADG

Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:35 am

ADG says:

Glenn has 4638 images in the database and he screens for the site, to my way of thinking that equates to far more value to Johan than 2x First Class Memberships.

Normal Speed says:

I am fortunate to have one of the free subscriptions, and I really appreciate having it. However, the day that any subscription fee is required of me is the same day that I permenantly retire from a.net.

You two are arguing about something you both agree on essentially.

I'm sorry ADG, but just because your husband is a screener doesn't mean it gives you free range to do what you want on here. Maybe for him, not for you.

Paranoid, incorrect rubbish coming from whiners that don't like others having an opinion.

Where are your facts to back that up? Oh wait, that's your opinion. Try using words and phrases like "I think" and "I believe" and 'In my opinion". That way you will take ownership of your thoughts instead of coming off like a know it all who thinks she can do what she wants cause it's somehow owed to her cause her husband is a screener.

Opinions are like diapers. Only babies show them off and half of the time they're full of shit.

Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:22 am

I'm sorry ADG, but just because your husband is a screener doesn't mean it gives you free range to do what you want on here. Maybe for him, not for you.

Oh dear ... laughing out loud here Mate ... I've never indicated that I feel it does give me "free range". Don't you ever think about what you're writing before you do so? Just before you read on, take note that you just posted your "OPINION", it will become a little more important later on.

Sheesh...

Where are your facts to back that up? Oh wait, that's your opinion.

No, that's a fact. Go and count the number of anti-american threads and to and count the anti-french ones. The facts are there but I note many ignore them. Indeed, once I sat down and gathered those facts but those moderators you guys infer let me do what I like deleted them as, whilst they breached no rule, they felt that it would set the ferals off. Which again shows that my statement is a FACT rather than an OPINION. I suggest you learn the difference between the two.

That way you will take ownership of your thoughts instead of coming off like a know it all who thinks she can do what she wants cause it's somehow owed to her cause her husband is a screener.

and you could try sticking to the facts yourself .. or at least taking your own advice. Otherwise you come across as being a bit of a hypocrite. Your statement looks like nothing more than the ranting of a crybaby .. need a hanki?

Opinions are like diapers. Only babies show them off and half of the time they're full of shit.

We say opinions are like arseholes everyone has one (or is one). But then, as it's clear that you've posting opinion here everything you've said equally applies to you.

The only issue I made about my husbands pictures was I felt that the site gets far more than $120 value out of my household a year, thus justifying (in my mind) not paying the FC membership. Anything on top of that you've just made up as you go along. And I post that as a FACT rather than an OPINION and suggest you supply proof otherwise if you want to question it. Otherwise ... in the worlds of Holden - GAME OVER.

ADG

Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:03 am

Well, there you go. I've been broken down and ridiculed by the great ADG. I guess I have no say. Everyone is wrong and you are right.

Otherwise you come across as being a bit of a hypocrite. Your statement looks like nothing more than the ranting of a crybaby .. need a hanki?

Riiiight. And what am I crying over? How was I wronged here? I've noticed you like to throw the words "cry baby" and "whiner" around against anyone who happens to disagree with you, most likely because of the negative stigma it has on here. I couldn't care less what you say. The problems is you give me the impression that people actually care what you think. Don't flatter yourself, I really don't give a shit about you. You are entertaining to me. I find the fact that you spend what appears to be 24/7 in aviation forums arguing, ridiculing people who may feel differently than you, and fighting your husbands battles for him, truly amusing. In a way, I have to admit, I'm jealous. I wish I had that time.

CactusA319

Thu Mar 27, 2003 7:15 am

You are entertaining to me. I find the fact that you spend what appears to be 24/7 in aviation forums arguing, ridiculing people who may feel differently than you, and fighting your husbands battles for him

That brings up a good point. ADG, what do you do other than spend your time here?

Just curious....

Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:01 am

Well, there you go. I've been broken down and ridiculed by the great ADG. I guess I have no say. Everyone is wrong and you are right.

Oh dear .. let me get a violin. To stop this occuring all you need to do is to prove me wrong. Up to the task?

Riiiight. And what am I crying over?

You tell me .. you're the late comer to the party and to catch my attention you tell lies. I have no idea on your reasoning at all.

How was I wronged here? I've noticed you like to throw the words "cry baby" and "whiner" around against anyone who happens to disagree with you, most likely because of the negative stigma it has on here.

Actually that's incorrect. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with me. It's the lies you told in doing so.

I couldn't care less what you say.

So it would seem as you appear to be putting the words in my mouth for me.

The problems is you give me the impression that people actually care what you think.

Actually, the number of people who respond in these forums is what gives the impression, not me.

Don't flatter yourself, I really don't give a shit about you.

and I could believe this if you hadn't gone out of you way to attack me, but I notice you have to be dishonest to do so.

You are entertaining to me.

I'm glad to oblige, the feeling is mutual.

I find the fact that you spend what appears to be 24/7 in aviation forums arguing, ridiculing people who may feel differently than you, and fighting your husbands battles for him, truly amusing.

I find the fact that you are so petty that you even have a thought like that about someone you vocally say is irrelevant to be pretty telling within itself. If you want *amusing*, look at your own behaviour.

As for fighting my husbands battles, I wonder where you get that from? your backside? But it is pretty funny. You're one of these people that think woman are just an extension of their husbands aren't you? Tasks a special sort of half wit to think that.

In a way, I have to admit, I'm jealous. I wish I had that time.

It's quite simple, good time management.

That brings up a good point. ADG, what do you do other than spend your time here?

hmm.. lets see .. I run a household, hold a full time job, run a photographic business, look after some web sites, travel to airshows, spend time with my elderly mother, garden, walk, watch movies, and be the mother of 2 kids, cook, eat, sleep (etc) , hang out in #aviation, read, study, fix friends computers, bathe .... i'm sure there is more ... and i'll think of it later on  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

ADG

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:36 am

Hey whatever. The amount of emails I've received this time and last time we got into it, saying what an idiot you are, and how you have no life, and how I shouldn't argue with you cause you're ignorant speaks volumes. And a lot of them are from people that know you. Just thought you might not be aware of how you are perceived on here.

If you need to be in denial of this stuff, and try to turn it around on me, go for it. Copy/paste my comments, and make them bold and add your reply. That'll fix everything right? You'll show everyone right? It's not you it's the rest of the world!

Go ahead and have the last word, I know it's all you live for, and I don't want to take that away from you. I'm over it.

Nebel

Thu Mar 27, 2003 3:01 pm

Dunno if this has been discussed before but wouldn't it be possible to add a limited First Class option (Business Class?  Big grin) that would be somewhat cheaper? This option could perhaps feature ad-free surfing while the other perks aren't included...or something...just think out loud here.

/N

dragogoalie

Re:

Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:55 pm

Holy crap I'm out of the loop, I had no idea all new members were paying to sign up for these forums. I think all forums except the non-av forum may be worth the money. I would have no heartburn of the non-av forum were to dissapear.

--dragogoalie-#88--
Formerly known as Jap. Srsly. AUSTRALIA: 2 days!

Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:08 pm

Hey whatever. The amount of emails I've received this time and last time we got into it, saying what an idiot you are, and how you have no life, and how I shouldn't argue with you cause you're ignorant speaks volumes.

I get eMails all the time about people in here, but I don't use those eMails to try and bignote myself. Fact is, people only need to read the photo forum to see what you are. By the way, we're not "into anything", you've just come into an issue late and tried to be a big man .. doesn't do anything for me because I don't have penis envy.

And a lot of them are from people that know you. Just thought you might not be aware of how you are perceived on here.

My, your childish behaviour has put you at an all time low. I really think that those people who haven't got the balls to make a stand aren't worth worrying about anyway so if you are telling the truth, and lets face it .. that's not a strong point for people who carry on like you do .. do you really think i'm concerned about what someone who hasn't the balls to say it to my face has got to say?

Well, if it makes you feel big to think that .. then go for it. You're just making a fool of yourself (imo).

If you need to be in denial of this stuff, and try to turn it around on me, go for it. Copy/paste my comments, and make them bold and add your reply. That'll fix everything right? You'll show everyone right? It's not you it's the rest of the world!

I don't need to deny anything, you've posted nothing but opinion and unsubstantiated claims ..

you've entered a discussion for the sole purpose of attacking a person simply because you don't like them. Then you get something back you don't like and suddenly you're carrying on like a headless chook. It's difficult to know how to respond to you, i've been out of the playground for a very long time.

Go ahead and have the last word, I know it's all you live for, and I don't want to take that away from you. I'm over it.

You were never "near it", how can you possibly be over it?

I notice you fail to address the issue of your dishonesty, do you think that you can divert the conversation by carrying on in such an immature manner?

ADG

aa61hvy

Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:40 pm

ADG-How often do you visit the Civil Aviation Forum? By the looks of it, not all that often. This is an Aviation site.
Go big or go home

Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:55 am

Fact is, people only need to read the photo forum to see what you are.

You are right, they will. They will see that I'm one of the most popular photographers on here (not that I really care). They will see that I'm always willing to help other photographers. They will see that I hardly post, only when I have something constructive to say.

When people see you, they see someone who sits behind a computer all day. They see someone who runs her mouth more than she contributes to this site. They see someone who is completely dismissive of other peoples opinions, and throws out unfounded accusations (Oh, I'm childish, I'm dishonest). Like I said if you need to accuse me of those things as a defense mechanism, go ahead. I understand the truth hurts.

I'm sorry I got into this, you're too ignorant to listen to reason. Oh well, I tried.

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:45 am

Remember this? Seems you're really over it....

You are right, they will. They will see that I'm one of the most popular photographers on here (not that I really care).

A legend in your own lunchbox eh?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy You do realise that if you didn't care you wouldn't have posted it? Every photographer with pictures on thes site are popular and they're all good IMO.

Again your post has no relevance and is nothing more than an attempt at a personal attack. It's a very childish way to behave. The fact is thought, that you keep making unvalidated and incorrect statements none of which are valid to the discussion so I don't think i'd be trying to hold yourself up to such self adulation because your behaviour here shows otherwise as well.

You do realise that in reality this discussion was over before it started because you're only reason for posting was to insitage a personal attack. When you've got something valid to say about the issue at hand then try saying it ...

ADG

Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:58 am

You do realise that in reality this discussion was over before it started because you're only reason for posting was to insitage a personal attack. When you've got something valid to say about the issue at hand then try saying it ...

From reply #59 (my first reply to this topic):

ADG says:

"Glenn has 4638 images in the database and he screens for the site, to my way of thinking that equates to far more value to Johan than 2x First Class Memberships."

Normal Speed says:

"I am fortunate to have one of the free subscriptions, and I really appreciate having it. However, the day that any subscription fee is required of me is the same day that I permenantly retire from a.net. "

A legend in your own lunchbox eh? You do realise that if you didn't care you wouldn't have posted it?

You're the one who brought it up. Fact is, I really don't care. I don't live for this site, like you seem to.

4holer

Fri Mar 28, 2003 5:43 am

ADG,
Watch much "Monty Python"?
You remind me so much ar "The Arguer" in this skit...

The Argument Clinic
Customer (C): Good morning, I'd like to have an argument, please.
Secretary (S): Certainly, Sir. Have you been here before?
C: No, this is my first time.
S: I see, well, we'll see who's free at the moment; ah, Mr. Debakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory! No, ah, try Mr. Barnard, Room 12.
C: Thank you.

Abuser (Ab): What do you want?!?
C: Well, I was told outside…
Ab: Don't give me that, you snotty-faced heap of parrot droppings!
C: What?
Ab: Shut your festering gob, ya’ tit; your type makes me puke! You vacuous, doddering old malodorous pervert!
C: But I came in here for an argument!
Ab: Oh, oh, I'm sorry, but this is ‘Abuse.’
C: Oh, I see.
Ab: Ah hah, no, you want Room 12A next door.
C: Oh, sorry.
Ab: Not at all…ha ha ha…stupid git.

C: Is this the right room for an argument?
Arguer (Ar): I've told you once.
C: No you haven’t.
Ar: Yes I have.
C: When?
Ar: Just now.
C: No you didn’t.
Ar: Yes I did.
C: You didn’t.
Ar: I did.
Ar: I'm telling you, I did.
Ar: Why, I'm sorry, is this a five-minute argument, or the full half-hour?
C: Ah, just the five minutes.
Ar: Just the five minutes…thank you. Anyway, I did.
C: You most certainly did not!
Ar: Now let's get one thing perfectly clear, I most definitely told you.
C: Oh no you didn’t.
Ar: Oh yes I did.
C: No you didn’t!
Ar: Yes I did!
C: Oh look, this isn't an argument!
Ar: Yes it is.
C: No it isn’t; it's just contradiction.
Ar: No it isn’t.
C: It is.
Ar: It is not.
C: You just contradicted me!
Ar: No, I didn’t.
C: You did.
Ar: No no no!
Ar: You did just then!
Ar: Nonsense!
C: Oh, this is futile!
C: Yes it is. I came here for a good argument.
Ar: Ah, no you didn’t. You came here for an argument.
C: An argument isn't just contradiction!
Ar: Well, it can be.
C: No it can’t. An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
C: Yes it is! It isn't just contradiction.
Ar: Look, if I argue with you, I have to take up a contrary position.
C: Yes, but it isn’t just saying “No it isn’t”!
Ar: Yes it is!
C: No it isn’t!
C: No it isn’t!
C: No it isn’t. Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is the automatic gain-saying of anything the other person says.
Ar: It is not.
Ar: Not at all.
[bell rings]
Ar: Thank you, that’ it.
Ar: That’ it. Good morning.
C: But I was just getting interested.
Ar: Well, I’ sorry, but the five minutes is up.
C: That was never five minutes!
Ar: I'm afraid it was.
C: No it wasn’t.
Ar: I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to argue any more.
Ar: If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five minutes.
C: But that was never five minutes just now!
…oh, come on
…oh this is ridiculous!
Ar: I told you, I’ not allowed to argue unless you've paid!
C: Oh, all right. There you are.
Ar: Thank you.
C: Well!
Ar: Well what?
C: That was never five minutes just now.
Ar: I told you, I’ not allowed to argue unless you’ve paid!
C: Well, I just paid.
Ar: No you didn’t.
C: I did!
Ar: You didn’t
Ar: You didn’t
Ar: You didn’t.
Ar: You didn’t pay.
C: I did…I don’t want to argue about it!
Ar: Well, I’m very sorry, but you didn’t pay.
C: Ah, well, if I didn’t pay, why are you arguing? Ahhhhhh, gotcha!!!
Ar: No, you haven’t.
C: Yes I have. If you’re arguing, I must have paid.
Ar: Not necessarily. I could be arguing in my spare time.

Edited to add:
BTW, I agree with the original post. There is a large gap between $0 and $60 that many of us would love to fill. I cannot afford $60, but $30, yes.

[Edited 2003-03-27 21:57:41]
Ghosts appear and fade away.....................

Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:02 am

My mistake, you did make a relevant statement. Essentially we are, but I feel that the action of making the public statement "if they make me pay i'll go" and worse statements as seen above about payment are questionable. Sure everyone has their right to make a decision about payment or not but I'd prefer to not see encouragement of others not to pay.

There are a multitude of reasons why people should feel justified not to pay. Having stacks of photos on line as you do is (IMO) one of them, "because I don't think I should have to" is not. (I can't afford it works for me as well). I guess you could say it's the manner in which it's presented that has encouraged response.

You're the one who brought it up. Fact is, I really don't care. I don't live for this site, like you seem to

Actually, mine was only a response to your attempt at a petty attack and you continue them  Laugh out loud ...

This site is a good boredom reliever and I really do like looking at the pictures. I used to start threads about how good shots are, but every time that happens some twonk comes along and ruins it with their negative critique so I stopped doing that as it really does spoil the mood when that happens. Petty jealousies are everywhere it would seem, so now I just hang out in the non_aviation forum, but I wouldn't shed a tear if they got rid of the whole non_aviation forum.

ADG

bapilot2b

Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:47 am

Aaaaah thats been a great evenings entertainment reading this topic. Simple to say but if you dont like it you dont have to pay it. So why argue over it? If you want to pay $60 a year towards the running of the site you love and enjoy visiting then do so.

I know if and when I can i would sign up for a first class membership. Hopefully within the next few months for me  Smile.

But regarding the malarky on Free Memberships if payment becomes compulsary. Long and worthwhile serving a.net members should be the ones excempt from paying $60 a year. Someone who contributes a fair amount of photo's to the site or photographers with a high average hit count. Members who have been here a certain period of time and have been active throughout this period posting worthwhile posts not you usual "aaah yeah but airbus sucks" posts, or any crappy bickering like whats been posted here. These members must also have a satisfactory respect level.

The above is what I think should be a good base on a Standard people must attain to receive a free First Class Membership if compulsary payment for forum membership is needed. Now im not Johan so what I have said could go in your ears and come out the other but I thought it would be worth highlighting what i personally think.

Now can we ALL stop bickering about this and at least contribute good topics on these forums! Why do I feel I should have ignored this topic? lol.
Jason Nicholls - v1images

Thu Apr 03, 2003 9:51 am

Yes you should have.

However, your *criteria* for free membership seems pretty good although i'm not sure who would get to decide "worthwhile posting". I'd suggest excluding the whole of non_aviation in the equation because, as we ALL know, nothing worthwhile comes out of non_aviation.

Wink/being sarcastic

ADG

Ikarus

Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:45 pm

I'd suggest excluding the whole of non_aviation in the equation because, as we ALL know, nothing worthwhile comes out of non_aviation.

Was that sarcasm? Did I not argue about exactly that point, with you, a few months ago? Or was that someone else...

Hmmmm. And what's wrong with encouraging people not to pay? It's perfectly alright to encourage people not to "buy American" or "buy British" or "buy French" in my opinion, in protest against whatever mischief those countries are up to, so why is it wrong to encourage not to "pay for the site with the Non-Av forum and continuously decreasing user quality / intelligence"?

Ahhh, wait. No need to reply, I'm too tired to get back into this argument.

Anyway. I hope Johan lets us know when the "buy prints" feature gets fully online, because then I can

a) get something REAL for my money
b) reward the photographers and airliners.net for its photos without rewarding the forums

And as someone suggested how to deal with memberships: How about

a) including the odd free print or two per annum in FC memberships
b) offering low cost memberships with access limited to selected forums (eg offering a $20 pa membership to Tech/Ops and/or trip reports, a $30 pa membership to Civ Av & Tech/Ops, etc. - Photo requests shold probably be free, and aviation photography could be free to all registered photographers) so you only buy access to those forums you want to access, instead of getting the whole lot
c) awarding "member of merit" free First Class Memberships to some users who excel in their post quality, such as B747skipper and other really competent Tech/Ops posters - these users add more value to the discussion forums and should be kept here at all cost. If more of their sort were around, the argument for paying for forum access would be much stronger than it currently is...

?

Regards

Ikarus