Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

galaxy5
Topic Author

Profane Emails Sent By Airliners Users

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:13 pm

Loser. Protesters arent violent. KKK are violent.
Fuck you!

----------------------------------------------------------
Message was sent using the mail interface on Airliners.net
https://www.airliners.net/

Loser. Protesters arent violent. KKK are violent.
Fuck you! George Bush unleashing bombs is violent!
You assisting him as a member of the armed forces is violent!

I would like to see the members of Airliners.net remove people like this from the forum, does anyone else agree that this is unneccesary and uncalled for. And again this doesnt help prove your point about protestors being civil, who ever you were.
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

redngold

RE: Profane Emails Sent By Airliners Users

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:16 pm

I agree. Galaxy, you should forward these e-mails to the administrator including full headers so the administrator can determine whether they are forged and who they are really from.

redngold
Up, up and away!

BR715-A1-30

Tue Jun 03, 2003 10:49 pm

This is completely unacceptable. I believe Johan should know about this immediately. AFAIK, Johan can find the IP number of this sender.
Puhdiddle

administrator

Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:09 pm

I am sorry but I really do not have time to deal with issues like these, that's why all info I have is already included in the email sent. You can find the IP address and other info in the headers of the email. If you want to track the person down it should be possible. If you do not want to receive email from others (and suffer the risk of receiving emails like those) you can choose not to have your contact info available.

Regards,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:27 am

Actually Johan, this doesn't help us a lot. I've been getting some lately too, and since we choose to share our photos on this site, we shouldn't be subjected to this.

I think a solution would be to force people to have a legit email address. Have the contact system check to see if the email is a real one before its sent. Lots of large websites do this. I don't believe it would be too much work.

Just a thought,
Brian - SPOT THIS!

aer lingus

Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:48 am

This is Unacceptable and Johan won't help!
Johan ! You could do more you know!
Last time its the Non AV Forum then the Chat and now This and what will be next?

Tommy

LMFC BA Photography Grup (Weston)
Split Scimitar or Sharklets?

bobrayner

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:02 am

I think a solution would be to force people to have a legit email address. Have the contact system check to see if the email is a real one before its sent. Lots of large websites do this. I don't believe it would be too much work.

Not so easy.  Wink/being sarcastic
Even if it was possible to reliably check for a valid email address - and it isn't 100% - what would stop people providing a valid-but-false email address?

Cunning linguist

Wed Jun 04, 2003 6:28 am

It is possible, and very common. It would be a step in the right direction.

Brian - SPOT THIS!

administrator

Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:42 am

The script naturally checks for correct format of the email addresses. If the email address actually exists, is real, belongs to the sender etc is nothing I can check, blame it on the email protocol currently in use not on me.

/ Johan

Ikarus

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:11 am

Am I the only one thinking that this is the result of the non-av forum being reopened? It seems users fear being banned, so now they haul the abuse into the e-mail system.

To be honest, that's perfectly fine by me - I don't mind Non-Avers tearing each other apart with abuse as long as it remains private & does not appear publicly...

Regards

Ikarus

Sonic

Wed Jun 04, 2003 8:32 am

I received once an e-mail with only words "you are fascist nazi" in it, then I replied and asked why, also asked for discution if that person wanted to discuss something I posted in a.net. He then just replied "Motherfucker nazi, I can't discuss it on a.net because I am banned". So I didn't replied him anymore, although I am not sure which former member it was.
Other time I've got other quite insulting e-mail by one of users of a.net and he posted his nick underneath. It had no profane words, but was still quite insulting - he didn't dared to post that in forums so sent it via e-mail.

Anyway, I am not going to delete my e-mail because of that - it would make it harder to contact me for people who really has something valuable to say. These profane e-mails could be easily deleted anyway.

Continental

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:30 pm

I made a topic months ago on the aviation industry in relation to Bush, and I got about 100+ emails which read,
"Fuck you asshole"

My entire email box was flooded.

co

IMissPiedmont

Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:45 pm

But I suspect that sending an E-mail is not limited to members. I've been able to send some while logged on to another persons computer and not logged onto the site.

Just do what I do. If I don't know the sender, I delete. Of course I've never gotten 100 at a time. I probably have not received 100 this year total.

Report them to the ISP and they will cease. The ISP can be found out on all E-mails easily enough.

But I just wonder. Do those who post such drivel think they are advancing a peaceful cause? "Protestors aren't violent and I can prove it by making an ass of myself."

Ay Yi Yi!

The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

jwenting

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:08 am

Johan, as administrator of this site you are partially responsible for any content generated on this site.
That includes the messages posted in the forums (which is one reason they're moderated...) as well as email messages sent using the web interface.

By saying you are not going to track down these profanities and stuff you're implicitly condoning the practice...
I wish I were flying

galaxy5
Topic Author

Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:21 am

Hey Galaxy5. I saw your post about lousy emails. Just thought I'd say "thanks" for doing our country a great service. I hope some day soon I can do the same. Have a good one!

Now this is really nice to see, it makes me feel good to get e-mails like this instead. BTW i appreciate it N766UA
"damn, I didnt know prince could Ball like that" - Charlie Murphy

UN_B732

Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:48 pm

Here is what I got form A.net mail..I got one of those "$10.1 million dollars from Nigeria" e-mails...people are starting to neglect this system.
-UN
Hopefully all of you know the NIgeria Scam?
What now?

UN_B732

Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:09 am

I've been harassed by Captgomes...can I please have the e-mail to contact?
-UN
What now?

N766UA

Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:07 am

Nigeria Scam?

administrator

Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:10 am

Jwenting and others,

I am most certainly not responsible for profane emails you get by having your email address publicly visible in your profile. If you do not want to receive such email you can disable that and not include your email address in your profile which is the default setting. I am sick and tired of users whining to me about things they are themselves responsible for. If you think I will track down and threaten every kid you manage to upset by your posts in here you are severely mistaken.

If you can't take the heat - do not display your email or other contact info in your profile! End of discussion.

/ Johan