Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Deletion Games Again

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:27 pm

This concerns "Compressor Stalls" thread in Civ.Av...
xxx
I spent a few minutes writing technical explanation about compressor stall, and how to prevent them. Pratt & Whitney engines are prone to stalls.
Lt-Awacs mentions he has that problem with E-3s (707s) I used to fly.
xxx
I started my post - "Attn - Lt-Awacs" - then mentioned one technique which can prevent them.
This applies in general to many airplanes, but applies to his E-3...
Most of my postings are "personal" answers to specific questions by a member.
Often I start with "Dear Xxxxx" - and write an answer.
xxx
From now on, with apologies, and to satisfy VC-10 "shortsightedness"... I shall start all my postings in answer to "TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN" rather than making the answer personal to anyone who asks me a question.
xxx
And the war of "technicalities" and abusive interpretation of "A.Net Rules" continues.
To whom it may concern - and happy contrails...
(s) Skipper

P.S. "To whom it may concern" - thanks for again throwing oil on the fire.

[Edited 2004-04-08 13:29:05]

Alpha 1

RE: Deletion Games Again

Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:45 pm

On THAT one, I agree with you.

VC-1O. If someoene asks a question or has query on here, concerning a subject, no matter what forum it is on, what the hell is wrong with making the reply personal? If the person asks a question, I am going to direct the answer to him/her? So why delete it. Is this place not a place to share ideas and knowledge? If so, stop being so petty, and deleting replies addressed directly to someone.

tokolosh

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:38 pm

I agree too. In fact, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to find the wording for posts in case they get removed for being personal messages. Where is the line?

Greetings
Did the chicken or the egg get laid first?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:08 pm

I sat down a couple of hours in front of my coffee.
And thought about all this.
I did put a lot of effort in this A.Net, to educate pilots and enthusiasts.
What did I get in return, nothing, except I made many friends.
xxx
I am normally paid to educate and train people. I did for free.
To my detractors, who challenged my threats of leaving the net. I will give you the pleasure.
I did not want respect by ridiculous RR rating and Resp.By...
I only request consideration that I always did my best to inform anyone.
It was a real privilege.
xxx
In my classrooms, simulators, line training, I do not get "deleted" when I am personal.
I personalise my instruction, best instructor techniques.
My airline appreciates me, even the CEO request me to fly when he travels.
This is appreciation. Now I am called to head Aerolineas del Sur 747-200 operations.
I am going to be extremely busy... So -
Happy contrails, always -
xxx
(s) Skipper  Smile

And further, I tried 4 times to click "delete this user"...
Click here and click there - did not work... anyway... so long.
Silence from now on, have fun, Administrators and Moderators...

[Edited 2004-04-08 15:20:59]

Further I tried to make a personal request to the Administrator, directly by message to "Contact Us" - and that failed as well, and repeated to write this through "Site Related" - I say again, I wish my name to be removed from members list. Thank you, best regards.

[Edited 2004-04-08 15:37:41]

VC-10

Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:05 pm

Well if it wasn't a personal message it was a double as skipper had already posted in reply 10

"Top of descent, when I am ready to reduce power, I switch wing anti-ice ON.
This "bleeds" the compressor and achieves the same thing, unloading the compressor.
It helps prevent compressor stall, if an engine is prone to having them.
Old trick of the trade."

thanks for again throwing oil on the fire.

I rather think it is you who is thowing oil on the fire. Instead of e-mailing the mods to sort these things out, as is suggested in the rules, you go public brandishing your respect rating about, your position in your company and threatening to leave.

If your RR means nothing to you why do you always mention it?

27 Sept 03
Apparently, it seems that my record with A.Net is appreciated by many, as far as I see in the number of people (133 as of today) have honored me to be recommended.

3rd Oct 2003
No gentlemen, I do not request privileges because 136 friends have recommended me... but if 10 or 20 request deletion, and 136 recommend me, there must be something, is it...?

3rd Oct 2003

I do not seek any privilege because of my high "respected by rating" to which you contributed a few minutes ago

18 Mar 04
As far as I am concerned, me, respected by 229? (present time) - Means NOTHING.

31 Mar 04
No respect rating, no bull, nothing, nada

This post
I did not want respect by ridiculous RR rating and Resp.By...

So why keep mentioning it every time you don't agree with some sanction that has been taken against you?

Why start a new thread on a topic that is already open in the subject? Namely

Deleted Posts.
https://www.airliners.net/discussions/site_related/read.main/20359/

I rather suspect you are trying to bring attention to yourself and your usual threat to leave. I don't want you to leave as you make a very valuable contribution to this site, you have to accept posts get deleted from time to time.

[Edited 2004-04-08 16:09:16]

[Edited 2004-04-08 16:10:30]

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:14 am

VC-10 what's the point of emailing the mods? I have emailed you time and time again, and all you do is threaten, when you don't threaten you ignore emails (maybe you follow your boss's lead).

At least there are two mods that respond to emails, I'm not playing the favorite game... But maybe you should look into it, and model yourself...
Go big or go home

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:05 am

To everyone -
xxx
I had no recourse but to make a request for my deletion through Johan, since the self-deletion feature failed to work. So do not believe that a moderator or administrator deleted me. It was at my personal request.
xxx
To answer specifically to VC-10, the post merely repeated a procedure, as I explained in "reply 10", but I wanted to stress that it was fully applicable to aircraft type and engines operated by Lt-Awacs (E-3 or 707), since I was myself made aware and instructed of that procedure when flying these airplanes.
xxx
Sir, you were forwarned of my intentions to leave, should you continue to delete my postings which were perfectly legitimate in an educated aviation discussion. You are a small person, VC-10. Read these last words.
xxx
Best regards, happy contrails -
(s) Skipper

[Edited 2004-04-08 18:06:20]

Sabena 690

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:24 am

@Skipper: I understand your problem with this deletion, but please don't leave this site (where hundreds of people are looking forward to your replies) due to a dispute with a moderator...

Frederic

Bruce

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:38 am

I am very sad to hear about B747Skipper leaving. He was a wealth of information. If you are reading this thread Skip, I would hope you'd reconsider. I have learned a lot from reading your posts.

It is a shame that such valuable members are drifting away.

A sad day for a.net.....  Sad
Bruce Leibowitz - Jackson, MS (KJAN) - Canon 50D/100-400L IS lens

VC-10

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:01 am

'Skipper

In this thread starter you say

I started my post - "Attn - Lt-Awacs"

Your deleted message read

Message to Lt-Awacs -
Put your wing anti-ice ON before power reduction from cruise.
Used to do that in 707s and the E-3s... works great.

I repeat

Message to Lt-Awacs

Sorry but I fail to see how it can be anything other than a personal message.

Anybody - Please explain to me how that isn't a personal message

To answer specifically to VC-10, the post merely repeated a procedure, as I explained in "reply 10", but I wanted to stress that it was fully applicable to aircraft type and engines operated by Lt-Awacs (E-3 or 707), since I was myself made aware and instructed of that procedure when flying these airplanes.

Lt-Awacs is a qualified experienced pilot, don't you think he would have been able to work out that that procedure would work on his a/c from the first time you mentioned it.

[Edited 2004-04-08 19:06:00]

wilco

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:01 am

VC-10:
Your above reply was personal in nature...
I rather think it is you who is thowing oil on the fire. Instead of e-mailing the mods to sort these things out, as is suggested in the rules, you go public brandishing your respect rating about, your position in your company and threatening to leave. If your RR means nothing to you why do you always mention it?

How come you can do this but we can't? Why do you think you are always right? Regardless of what the rules are, your childish responses are uncalled for and are disrepectful. Grow up. B747skipper is a member and a contributor. You are a moderator and A.Net representative. Learn your role.... if you don't like it, quit and become a non-crew member.... then you can whine all you want.

-WILCO
"Ever seen a grown man naked?"

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:03 am

Thanks, all of you, but busy trying vainly to "delete" myself...
As an ex- A.Netter, my last complaint is, cannot even get that click feature to work.
xxx
You know, I am sick and tired of constantly having perfectly legitimate postings deleted (exactly like a personal vendetta against me by VC-10).
xxx
I always enjoyed Tech.Ops and making friends. Sorry. I will be probably continue to read you guys at time, and admire the great pictures.
xxx
Happy contrails...  Smile
(s) Skipper

wilco

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:17 am

Well I hope when Johan sees the skipper's request for deletion he will become aware of these threads in site-related. Maybe then he will become aware of VC-10's personal rampage and the negative impact VC-10 has on the A.Net community...

Happy Contrails,
-WILCO

B747-437B

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:25 am

the negative impact VC-10 has on the A.Net community...

NEGATIVE IMPACT? Thats rich indeed for some newbie who has been here all of 35 days to waltz in and accuse VC-10 of having a "NEGATIVE IMPACT" on the forums.

I've had plenty of differences with Paul over the years and we regularly trade barbs over petty issues, but let me be the first one to tell you that he is just as valuable a contributor as B747skipper or any other user here, maybe even more so because of the time he donates to keep the forums running.

I suggest you sit back and earn your stripes here before you start throwing out half baked assumptions about anybody's "negative impact" on a community you have barely cut your teeth in.

PS. I agree that the reason for deletion was quite unneccessary, but does Skipper really have to throw another "im quitting" tantrum over it? Seriously, both Skip and VC-10 need to act like adults here and just figure out a way to peacefully co-exist.

[Edited 2004-04-09 09:03:41]

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:30 am

"he is just as valuable a contributor as B747skipper or any other user here"

Even me Sean?
--
Skipper- two things for you, either be a big boy and leave as you say, or take it like a man and keep posting (ignoring the mods as most of us do)
Go big or go home

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:25 am

Dear Aa61hvy -
Trying to be a big boy and leave. But not easy when "database" does not want to accept my repeated attempts to do so.
xxx
Attn.: Johan - Please delete me - When I try, username and password are said not to match the database. Thank you.
xxx
(s) Skipper

MYT332

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:29 am

Its like skips trying to commit suicide, somebody stop him!  Sad
Plus think of the money you'd be wasting as well! hehe

Nah dont go, dont let VC-10 win!
One Life, Live it.

Ryanair737

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:37 am

Don't go Skipper, your postings here are very valuable to me and many other members who visit the Tech/Ops forum. MYT332, he won't be wasting any money because he is not a Premium Member.

Ryanair737  Smile
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

Regis

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:52 am

Skipper: A.net will be a much less informative and instructive aviation site without your active participation. Please reconsider your decision to leave. No shame in changing one's mind.

Starlionblue

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:52 am

First of all: Skipper don't go. Ignore the heathens!

Secondly, there should be a better mechanism for deleted and moved threads. Leave a placeholder with a little note (moved to.../deleted) instead of making them vanish. Please... With sugar on top...
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ExitRow

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:54 am

This looks like a hand-picked deletion to me. I've seen HUNDREDS of "personal messages" in the forums that are never deleted. Hell, I myself am guility, especially when it comes to other Seattle spotters meeting up on a given day. (i.e.: "[username], you gonna be at Midfield today?") And you know what? Big friggin' deal! This is a community forum. And communities talk. I think one-on-one communication should be tolerated if it's not too off-topic. When posts like that are made, others can chime in. And that's what forms communities of people and not just usernames. Skip's post doesn't seem to be a big offender to me. It seems like anal-retentive interpretation of the rules. (A far too prevelant problem on this site.)

To scare off a valued member like Skipper over something as stupid as this is a foreboding sign. Though, in fairness, I think you need to toughen up and thicken your skin a bit Skipper.

I like it when the forums are conversational. To start nitpicking over the pronouns used to address fellow members is ridiculous and a Type-A interpretation of the rules and a grand misuse of moderator power to interfere with good communication. It seems like the argument is now down to semantics—the surest sign of a weak case.

Meanwhile, word association threads in non-av go on sucking up server resources unimpeded. Quality content eh?

Skipper, if you choose to go, so be it. Find somewhere else to post and I am sure all your proponents will follow and take their page-viewing traffic there as well.

Farewell and good tailwinds Skipper.

VC-10

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:56 am

exactly like a personal vendetta against me by VC-10

Interesting - I have deleted exactly 0.069% of the skippers posts, or to put it another way 2 out of 2897.

IHadAPheo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:14 am

I'll chime in with some babblings here, we all say things in the midst of anger that we later regret (trust me I am guilty of this quite recently here) but may I humbly suggest that both sides of the issue take a bit of time to see the other persn side of the agument. There may be valid points on bothsides but wouldn't it be better for those involved to work out the problem for the betterment of the site since both members are highly respected and contribute greatly to the quality of this site.

I do not want Skipper to leave but if after taking time to rethink your choice you still decide that leaving is best foryou then i say good lck to you. As to the mod's it is your choice how you interpret (sp?) the rules and after much soul searching on my part I understand you are doing what you feel is in the best interest of the site. i only hope that all can find a middle ground for the rest of use to enjoy both sides work.

Thanks all, babbling over for now.

Yours,
IHadAPheo
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

fly727

Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:17 am

That is precisely what I was going to suggest... pprune.org. I joined about a week or two ago. Are you using the same name there dear Pablo?

The best luck for you in the Aerolineas del Sur project.

With my respects.,
Ramon.
There are no stupid questions... just stupid people!

Sabena 690

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:05 am

Skipper, do you remember we were in a simillar discussion about a year ago?

With a big group of people, we managed to convince you to stay via private emails.

I will be the last one to state publically whether a forum moderator is a good one or a bad one, but I have to say that this post deletion was totally unnecessary.

Skipper his posts contain facts/knowledge/... and this is what airliners.net needs to stay alive. The forums are currently flooded with postings like 'favourite X', 'Which meal will I get on X', 'Best IFE',... Are we going to a situation where all this low value crap will stay up, and where valuable postings like the ones of Skipper will be deleted?

If you really enforce the airliners.net rules for the full 100%, 50% of the postings made on this site will have to be deleted.

Once again, this is no criticism towards VC-10...

Frederic

cicadajet

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:08 am

I agree with ExitRow/William Anthony - I've seen many personal responses within threads before. was not aware it was a problem.

Always found B747Skipper to be an informative read. Unfortunately he is leaving.

- Tom

wilco

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:14 am

B747-437.... you clearly misread my post. I never said that anyone was less of a contributor than 747skipper... I have found VC-10's posts (aside form this post-deletion drama) to be EXTRAordinarily insightful. My issue is with VC-10's attitude as a moderator. I think it is inappropriate as a representative of any business operation to run around whining... leave that to the customers.

You admitted in your post that VC-10 (and the skipper) need to act like adults. This is exactly the issue I posted, but VC-10 has a different role than the skipper. He has the power to delete threads and is a representative of A.Net. So I'll say it again: VC-10's attitude is having a negative impact on the A.Net community. As much as you may not like it, little-ole-me of 35 days and a RR of 3 is a member of this community. Thanks for making me feel welcome.

-WILCO

[Edited 2004-04-08 22:17:35]

737doctor

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:33 am

Allow me to chime in on this topic...

While I enjoy being respected by others on this forum (I believe most everyone feels the same way), it in no way is a reflection of my abilities as an aircraft mechanic or my role as a husband, father, friend, etc. At the end of the day, my standing here is essentially meaningless. I have only met one person from A.net and we only know each other professionally, so while I have respect for many of the people here and am flattered when I am respected in turn, my reputation here has virtually no impact on my "real life".

Sure it is frustrating when a post I've made gets deleted for what amounts to a technicality or if a picture I am especially proud of gets rejected. But my life goes on. I've even had someone in the chat room (long ago) try to discredit me by insinuating that I wasn't really an A&P. I say, "So what?". Let people believe what they want to believe. It doesn't affect me in the slightest. People can sling all the muck they want at me or my airline, and it changes nothing. I am what I am and no one here can take that away from me. This is the Internet people; a sleazy place where people have all kinds of twisted agendas. A place where people try to make themselves feel better about their own miserable existence by attacking others. I learned long ago that (in life and on the Internet) I can't be everyone's friend and people will hate me no matter what I do. So I accept it and move on.

Skipper, we mutually respect each other and I would hate to see you go. You bring a vast amount of experience, expertise and factual information to a place where many technical questions are answered by people who are just guessing. I won't beg anyone to stay and I believe you to be a man of strong convictions, so you do what you have to do. But ask yourself this; with all the help you've given and the friends you have made here, are you going to let a couple of bad incidents and a handful of detractors run you away? And as much pleasure as this forum may bring you, does the negativity of a few people really matter in the grand scheme of things? I think not. At the end of the day, when you shut your computer down, nothing changes.
Patrick Bateman is my hero.

aa61hvy

Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:37 am

"By then, everyone involved in this controversy will be grown up."

Don't count on it.

Skipper- You know your aviation, don't get me wrong. But it seems like you want people to beg for you to come back, yeah it was cool having you answer everyones questions, but its not like your irreplaceable. There are a ton of pilots out there (not on the site, but in non-internet life), you seem like you are trying to draw out all the attention and get everyone on your side. No way would I beg for you to come back. Skip, enjoy flying. Later man.

I don't see what the point of having a post like this? I have my share of problems with all the mods, and Johan too.. This is just a waste of space though.. Just kicking an already dead horse.
Go big or go home

VC-10

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:09 am

Wilco,

VC-10:
Your above reply was personal in nature...
I rather think it is you who is thowing oil on the fire. Instead of e-mailing the mods to sort these things out, as is suggested in the rules, you go public brandishing your respect rating about, your position in your company and threatening to leave. If your RR means nothing to you why do you always mention it?

How come you can do this but we can't?

If a member prefers to complain in public rather than by private e-mail, I will to respond in public. As it happens the skipper already knows my view as we exchanged amicable e-mails last week.

I think it is inappropriate as a representative of any business operation to run around whining

Exactly what have I whined about? All I have done is respond to a complaint of a member with my POV.

No-one has yet explained to me how a post starting with "Message to Lt-Awacs" can be anything other than a personal message.

I am still open to answers.

Q330

Fri Apr 09, 2004 8:39 am

Sorry to hear you're going, Skipper. At least tell us your username on pprune.org before you leave.

Oops, that was a personal message...  Insane

Skipper, do you remember we were in a simillar discussion about a year ago?

With a big group of people, we managed to convince you to stay via private emails.

So was that one...

First of all: Skipper don't go. Ignore the heathens!

And that...

@Skipper: I understand your problem with this deletion, but please don't leave this site (where hundreds of people are looking forward to your replies) due to a dispute with a moderator...

And even that one.

Not blaming you, VC-10, but the rule has to be clarified.

-Q
Long live the A330!

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:47 am

I've had enough of the garbage and games on A.net as well. Over the past three years I contributed my fair share here as well. The straw that broke the camel's back was the deletion of the thread where I asked for qualified A.neters to send me a resume. The moderators can't distinguish between a commercial ad such as a flight school which happens to advertise for students and an non-commercial posting that had the potential to jump-start someone's career. Initially, I felt that Johann and the moderators were going to deal with this and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. It now is evident that they have no intention of changing the status quo. That being the case, I too have made my last post on tech/ops. It's not a matter of getting mad and "taking my marbles and going home", but rather a deliberate decision to find a website to hang out that is will to accommodate those who have the desire to help out the next generation of pro pilots. During this controversy I received many e-mails of support from you and I will always appreciate the kind words and prayers that you offered on behalf of me and my family during the recent death of my father. You are GREAT people. I have found a new hangout - I'm on both PPruNe.com (The Jet Lag Kid) and Flightinfo.com (Lead Sled). They are both good sites, but I have to admit that I'm really developing a preference to Flightinfo.com - it's technical oriended forums are second to none. I hope to see you guys over there - the various forums are much better than A.net's tech/op without the "crap".

Jetguy

[Edited 2004-04-09 03:07:34]

IHadAPheo

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:48 am

I humbly feel that it's is a matter of degree, if one user asks another user the following...

.."Billy Bob are you going to the ho-down on Monday" and Tyronne answers back.. "Sure thing Bill Bob I'll be there"
this might be worthy of deletion under the rules.

However if the following would be the post.

Post made by the same magical user Billy Bob

"I was just wondering on a Trislander when the whatsit is activated in flight why cant the pilot simply use the bilevel flangomatic to clear the thingy?"

in answer another highly respected Tislander pilot may reply

"Bill Bob, while in flight if a pilot where to use both the whatsit and the bilevel flangomatic to the to clear the thingy the aircraft would go supersonic and burst into flames"

I feel this would be ok as it answers the question at hand and would only be a violation of the letter of the rule but not it's "spirit"

Note.. I hope that we do not have users named Billy Bob or Tyronne and if we do I am in no way implying that they in fact made these posts

Yours,
IHadAPheo

Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

ExitRow

Fri Apr 09, 2004 9:56 am

No-one has yet explained to me how a post starting with "Message to Lt-Awacs" can be anything other than a personal message.

My point, VC-10, is that his message, despite obviously being addressed to Lt-Awacs, might be of interest to others. He finishes, "... Put your wing anti-ice ON before power reduction from cruise. Used to do that in 707s and the E-3s... works great."

If it read, "Lt-Awacs, I love wearing women's underwear on the flight deck, how about you?" I could understand your overwhelming concern for the stability of the thread.

I think you are splitting hairs. There's been precedent here of mods being lax with the written rules and/or using their own discretion. (Example, the "curse words" rule) Had you displayed such flexibility, this whole thread wouldn't exist and a valuable member in the forums wouldn't be pitching a fit and leaving.

I think there's too much pride and piss being flung about. It's a shame.

On a related note, I love how someone can start a thread in Av-Photo claiming a photo in the database is fake with no proof or convincing argument and despite calls from screeners to lock/delete the thread, it stays. Skipper posts ONE personal message in a thread instead of IM'ing and bang!, all hell breaks loose.  Insane

[Edited 2004-04-09 03:14:14]

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:25 am

I notice Skipper said he was leaving...but he didn't delete himself.  Smile

goboeing

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:28 am

The moderators on this website need to leave the tech/ops forum alone unless something REALLY needs to be changed.

Evidently they did something wrong as some 50,000 hours of flight experience just packed up and left.

B747skipper and Jetguy, thank you very much for your contributions to the forums. People like myself appreciate it VERY MUCH; I learned more in the tech/ops forum than I did in my entire senior year of high school. See you on the flip side, for sure.

Nick

liquid

Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:44 am

When you address something personally to someone in a public forum it is clearly for all to see. Because it was in the interest of aviation, anyone that reads the post may learn something about it that they find interesting. If it would have been extremely personal and non aviation related im sure B747Skipper would have emailed him personally. It is rather pathetic that "whom ever" would delete a post that is avaition related and benefits more than just the person in which it was directed.
-Liquid

cicadajet

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:31 pm

At the risk of a personal message...

Alpha - B747Skipper already wrote in 4 separate posts in this thread that he had been attempting to delete himself but seems to be unable to do so for some technical reason.

Am I missing an inside joke, or do you not read the threads where you feel the need to participate?

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:50 pm

Cicadajet, I'm not buying his excuse.

Mercy, people like you are awfully touchy.  Laugh out loud

mirrodie

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:56 pm

737doctor, I have to agree 100% with what you wrote.

Skipper wants to leave after having 203 posts deleted after 3000 posts? Why? I fail to see a reason for such animosity and to leave the site. Furthermore, Skipper, VC-10 did make a point that you did not email any of the administrators about your posts. Instead, you repeatedly come here to complain public. Is that a way to come to a meaningful resolve?

Why is everyone taking things so personally?

Jetguy, just the same, I am sorry, but I had your back. I still back you up on that.

Best of luck guys. It is a shame that things could not have been better.

All it would have taken was communication.
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

learpilot

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:57 pm

I know I didn't contribute nearly as much as Skipper and Jetguy, but until a semblance of common sense is developed by the moderating team, I will not be contributing any longer as well.

This is nothing less than ridiculous.

VC-10, you need to read Liquid's post, and read it slowly. Especially the second sentence: Because it was in the interest of aviation, anyone that reads the post may learn something about it that they find interesting. That one statement ends this whole argument. The fact that they were beginning the posts with the other's username is 100% irrelevant. They were continuing a technical discussion that everyone could learn from.

I hate to break it to you, but every topic is a PERSONAL MESSAGE! It's someone asking a question, and someone answering that person's question! The forum isn't a bunch of people posting random thoughts. It's people asking and answering personal messages.

Why is that so hard to understand?
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

cicadajet

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:57 pm

Fair enough, Alpha..  Smile

..that puts a different spin on it..

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:59 pm

Then you should have asked in the first place, Cicadejet, instead of making insinuations like that.

B747-437B

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:02 pm

Ok, let me chime in with my years of experience battling the moderators here.

VC-10 : Dude, you need to chill out a bit. The rule of thumb before you delete any post needs to be "DOES THE SITE BENEFIT FROM LEAVING THIS POST HERE". If the answer to that question is YES, then leave it even if it is against the letter of the law. Moderation powers are accompanied by a responsibility to the community to use them wisely. As one of the more mature mods here, I think you can set a great example on that front.

B747skipper : Please take a look at this thread objectively once you have cooled down and you will realize just how childish you are acting. Honestly, I expect higher standards from a highly respected and knowledgeable pilot like yourself. You of all people know that sometimes life deals you a shitty hand, but you aren't setting much of an example to the younger users who idolize you by picking up your toys and walking away. By all means make your point heard here by complaining loud, hard and long - but constantly threatening to walk away if you don't get your way diminishes your credibility in the eyes of most users and admin.

There IS a middle ground here that both sides can live with. I hope that you guys can sit down like mature adults and figure out where it lies, otherwise everybody loses.

cicadajet

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:06 pm

I don't spend alot of time in the forums. I was just gleaning what I could from reading what was written in English here.

I take it to mean you are insinuating the guy is liar... unless I am misunderstanding what you wrote - again..  Smile

mirrodie

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:13 pm

B747-437B, you are the voice of reason.

People, look into reply 45 and take something away from it. Everyone does lose. And I don;t know about you, I'm here to learn and have a good time.

Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

Alpha 1

Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:30 pm

ALL HAIL SEAN!!

IMissPiedmont

Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Having no idea what post B747Skipper had deleted, I'll still throw in a thought. If it was in response to a previous post by LTAWACS, why would there be a problem?
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

An-225

Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:04 pm

Great. How about deleting nonsense from Civil Aviation instead of a meaningful post from Tech/Ops which enriches EVERYONE'S knowledge? This makes me sick. Skipper was one of the most knowledgeable and respected people on this website, and now he's gone. You owe him an apology, VC-10.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

VC-10

Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:39 pm

You owe him an apology, VC-10.

I have spoken to the skipper via e-mail and in one mail he admits he was pushing the envelope with that post, we get on quite well privately.

I agree the offending post was of general interest, but he had ready mentioned that technique in reply 10 so why was it necessary to repeat it in reply 12?

Here's my suggestion for the future.

If you get a post deleted as a personal message or any other reason while others don't, just accept it as bad luck. Maybe you will get lucky and slip one through next time.

As long as we get e-mails after a deletion that highlight similar messages that are still on the boards and complaining of inconsistancy, I will continue to try and be consistant and delete all personal messages etc I come across.