Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vafi88
Topic Author

How Is This For Fair?

Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:32 am

I got a post deleted a few days ago for 'calling people names'.

As you know, non-av is place to some heated political debates, and the right calls the left an anti-american communists, so I called a person on the right a lying nazi.

This post was deleted by a mod, which is fine if he did the same for the other side. I've seen tons of people call liberals commies and america haters and such, yet when I called a person a lying nazi, my post gets deleted.

Why?
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

AirplanePeanut

RE: How Is This For Fair?

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:33 am

It's perry racist. If i wer German I know I'd be offended by being called a Lying Nazi.

bravo7e7

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:39 am

Come on! The right gets deleted at least as much as the left. I called someone a sick bastard and got suspended for a week solely because of this reason. Consider yourself lucky.

VC-10

Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:57 am

I do not understand people who complain about this sort of thing. They refer to other posts as an example of the bias on this site, but do they do anything about it? No. - They just bitch on the Site Related and sit back waiting for someone else to solve the problem.

The solution is in your hands - If you see similar post, suggest deletion as the person who spotted your post did.

Use the 'Suggest Deletion' button

dl021

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:03 am

Perhaps if we all found a way to discuss or even argue without resorting to namecalling and insults(....and "nazi" is a particularly disturbing insult to those of us who have studied history..even moreso than the term "communist") we would not be in a position to have our posts deleted by a moderator tired of babysitting.

Escalating insults do nothing to enhance conversation, nor does exclaiming "well so-and-so said something first and I was just responding" or "well he said a bad word too! Punish him or I'm gonna cry!"

Just my thoughts on the matter.

To be fair, whatever that means, I have been guilty of casting aspersions myself, but I try to avoid it when possible.

[Edited 2004-12-31 00:04:46]
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

VC-10

Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:10 am

I fully concur with DL021. That is the ideal 'grown-up' solution.

Escalating insults do nothing to enhance conversation, nor does exclaiming "well so-and-so said something first and I was just responding" or "well he said a bad word too!

I would just like to add this excuse doesn't cut it with the mods either

vafi88
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:50 pm

I use the suggest deletion button, don't worry.

So VC-10, from your, and DL021's post, only one thing comes to mind - The first one to call names is ok, while the second will get their post deleted.

Either way, I'm not mad at the situation, and I'm certainly not talking sh!t to the mods because they are fair for the most part, but this issue definitely has to be observed.

AirplanePeanut said: It's perry racist. If i wer German I know I'd be offended by being called a Lying Nazi.

Oh yeah?

I'm from the former Soviet Union, being called a communist is the same thing.
I'd like to elect a president that has a Higher IQ than a retarted ant.

VC-10

Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:37 pm

So VC-10, from your, and DL021's post, only one thing comes to mind - The first one to call names is ok,

Of course not - grow up!

AirplanePeanut said: It's perry racist. If i wer German I know I'd be offended by being called a Lying Nazi.

Oh yeah?

I'm from the former Soviet Union, being called a communist is the same thing.

This is exactly the sort of thing that starts the arguements and name calling off. It is un-necessary.

HAWK21M

Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:02 pm

Mature Debate need not involve Namecalling like some school kids fighting over candy.
As VC-10 said makes sense,If you find something not correct point it out so it could be deleted.Its tough for the Mods to monitor each post,they are human too.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airbus3801

Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:05 am

It's not the mods fault about what you did, though I commend you for attacking the righties  Smile/happy/getting dizzy . But let me ask you this, when people are speeding, and you are the one pulled over, do you tell the officer, well you didn't stop the red mustang next to me.....

Just accept that you got something deleted and move on.

ANCFlyer

Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:16 am

DL021 is spot on . . . Perhaps if we all found a way to discuss or even argue without resorting to namecalling and insults Some people simply can't post on a thread without referring to the next/previous poster as an idiot, or ass or some such thing. What a way for grown persons to act isn't it. Good for the mods doing their jobs.

"Well, he called me a name first" is a bullshit excuse also.

Mods can't monitor every single post/thread, but I think they do a fair job both in what is deleted and the quantity of post monitored.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

IHadAPheo

Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:33 am

Hello all, Just a few thoughts on this topic

First of all let me say that I am not perfect and may miss a deletable post or thread. That said I do not look at the opinion of the member posting, what I do look at is how the member's post stands in relation to the rules. If a post/thread is in violation of the rules i willtake action agaisnt it, if the violation is serious enough I will take action against the member.

I understand that if someone insults you or your opinion etc that it is hard not to reply with insults of your own. replying with another insult of your own will only result in the deletion of both members posts. replying with insults also tends to cause a series of nasty posts that often ends up in members being suspended.

Babbling slightly.... I love a good heated debate of ideas, some of the best threads (in my opinion) have been heated debates where members exchangeopinions in aheated but still somewhat civil way and leave the discussion perhaps not with their opinion of the topic changed but with a respect for the opion of their opponent.

How I look at a post/thread that is when a post/thread is suggested for deletion (or if i find it on my own) is to read the thread,see where the trouble started and delete all offending posts that keep the rule violations flowing.

so in closing if you are offended either by thread or a post please do not make a flamebait filled reply, simply debate the issue in a civil mannar and or press the suggest deletion button. This way you will not find your self on the wrong end of a deletion notice or suspension.

IHAP

sorry if there was too much babbling and rambling but I had quite a few topics I wanted to touch on.
Pray hard but pray with care For the tears that you are crying now Are just your answered prayers

Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:20 am

Political feelings aside, I'd be more outraged that I had a post removed for "calling people names" when the mods and Johan himself do it all the time.

But that's just me.

B