Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

baw716
Topic Author

It's Time To Resign My Membership

Tue May 02, 2006 3:32 am

I have given this particular subject much thought in recent weeks. My decision was finalized over the past days while participating in a discussion which, to my way of thinking, should not have taken place at all. Some members took that occasion to criticize the original poster, make wild statements and one person even compared America to Nazi Germany. That was the straw that has broken the back of this camel.

Over the years, I have tried to add value to the discussions on this forum; however, of late, the topics have become esoteric, the discussions themselves have degraded into personal attacks and counter attacks. Unfortunately, I have been sucked into that whirlpool of disgusting discourse; some of my posts of late have not contributed to furthering the cause of civil aviation. Upon reflection, as the level of discourse has fallen to such a low level, I feel it is time for me to leave.

There are many of you who I respect more than you know. Your knowledge and wisdom contribute to the forwarding of the global notion of aviation as one community. To you, I hope you are able to continue to contribute and add value to the ongoing discussions.

To Johan, who has the most difficult job, I wish you continued success. It is difficult to manage a worldwide website with so many differing views and keep posts on that, well, let us say in the best of taste, do offer different perspectives. You have always taken the high road and you are a better person than I am for that. I have tried, but not always succeeded.

To those of you who are the armchair CEOs and pilots on this forum, let me leave you with this piece of advice: Check your facts before you write something. The members of this community who are in aviation and the airline industry (as I have been for over 28 years) will not put up with people making statements that are flat wrong and/or are irresponsible. You know who you are, so I won't point you out by name. Reality checks are sometimes a very hard thing and when we must look inward for those reality checks, the view isn't quite so pretty.

To those who contribute in a positive way, I truly hope you can influence the rest of this crowd who are incredibly ignorant and or just plain mean. I am tired of the fighting. I have other, more important battles to fight and I will put my energies there for as long as I can....remember that we are all just one breath from eternity. The expression life is too short is so very true. Life is too short to continue to put up with the level of ignorance and hate that has pervaded this forum. It is for that reason more than any that I take my leave.

Godspeed to those of you who care...

baw716

PS-this thread will remain active for one week, then I will pull my profile and terminate my membership. A.net will be advised in due course.
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

7e72004

RE: It's Time To Resign My Membership

Tue May 02, 2006 3:34 am

Uh..i think this belongs in another forum.
The next generation of aircraft is just around the corner!

jbmitt

Tue May 02, 2006 3:38 am

I agree this belongs elsewhere. Thanks for your explanation, best of luck to you.

I still wonder why people have to post big farewell, I'm leaving postings...

PM

Tue May 02, 2006 3:46 am

I suspect that this thread will be deleted or moved pretty quickly but, while it's still here, let me reassure you that your sentiments are echoed elsewhere. Privately, a couple of (deservedly) well-respected members have shared with me their exasperation and, ultimately, boredom with the same issues that have prompted you to leave.

It's just a silly website that ultimately means nothing so we shouldn't get it out of proportion but, no doubt like you and like many others, I've learned a lot, I've been able to answer some members' questions, and I've enjoyed contributing.

I'm sticking around a while longer but I do sometimes wonder why I bother.

But the mutual interest that drew us (well, one would assume so) to A.Net is deeper and stronger than the pettiness and nastiness of those who threaten to ruin this forum. See you on the viewing gallery!

GBan

Tue May 02, 2006 3:59 am

Quoting BAW716 (Thread starter):
PS-this thread will remain active for one week, then I will pull my profile and terminate my membership. A.net will be advised in due course.

Although I did not agree with your posts in the recent thread you are refering to I totally understand your frustration. But I don't think anything (or anybody) will get better if you resign your membership.

Are you sure you'll will feel better if you have to follow a-net discussions in a read-only mode?  Wink

timboflier215

Tue May 02, 2006 4:00 am

Quoting PM (Reply 3):
It's just a silly website that ultimately means nothing so we shouldn't get it out of proportion

well said. all too true. its a shame that people do seem to treat it as life and death, but if you keep it in perspective, theres v little to get too wound up about. personal attacks not withstanding.

cincinnaticj

Tue May 02, 2006 4:01 am

You know, BAW716, I can totally understand. The first two responses after your opening comment are on the fact that this post didn't belong in this particular forum.

Who the (^(&^ do they think they are anyway???

There are so many posters on these forums that are so quick to act like they are moderating, are experts in everything that flys including bats and cannon shells and are so quick to fire bogus shots that it drives one crazy and you miss the really interesting discussions.

PM is absolutely correct. It's just "a silly little web site". I've left before without commenting on the frustration of listening to the "experts" spout noncense but I came back after a bit. Hope you do to!

LHR777

Tue May 02, 2006 4:11 am

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 2):
I still wonder why people have to post big farewell, I'm leaving postings...

I agree. Ultimately, if the website no-longer meets your needs and requirements, just move on. No big drama, no big announcements. I too have been in the industry a long time, for the past 15 years to be precise. I just feel that in places like this, that exist on the web, if you don't agree with something, so what?

Getting into unnecessary slagging-matches with people online, who may appear to be armchair CEO's but in reality may be 12-yr old school kids who think they're just having a bit of fun at your expense really just serves to irritate members of the 'online community' and honestly serves no valid purpose.

I used to be a long-time forum moderator on flyertalk.com. Around 6 months ago, I decided that I wasn't really learning anything new and was spending more time fighting fires than adding valuable contributions. Know what I did? Sent a quick e-mail to the site admin, cancelled my moderator privileges and just stopped posting. Simple as that.

Good luck in this crazy industry we call aviation.

aircanl1011

Tue May 02, 2006 4:20 am

I agree with some of your beliefs BAW716. I find it sad that people have to apologize when posting because they are afraid of getting "Flamed" for saying something that has been said before, our posting a comment that is not part of the norm.

This is supposed to be a community of people who love aviation and share their knowledge, experiences and beliefs with each other. Please, let the moderators do their job, and lets allow the members to feel welcome to post threads and to comment on what they want.

I realize it is frustrating when someone posts something that has been discussed before, or posts something that is obviously incorrect, but I do not believe that these people should be made to feel like a fool for what is obviously just an error on their part.

Just my  twocents 
CYMRU AM BYTH / WALES FOREVER

HS748

Tue May 02, 2006 4:35 am

If you want to leave just leave. Who cares, really?

RobK

Tue May 02, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting LHR777 (Reply 8):
if the website no-longer meets your needs and requirements, just move on. No big drama, no big announcements.

Getting into unnecessary slagging-matches with people online, who may appear to be armchair CEO's but in reality may be 12-yr old school kids who think they're just having a bit of fun at your expense

Couldn't have put it better myself. If you're gonna go, just GO! We don't need chapter and verse on it.

R

LHR777

Tue May 02, 2006 4:39 am

Quoting RobK (Reply 11):
Couldn't have put it better myself. If you're gonna go, just GO! We don't need chapter and verse on it.

...and respect to you my friend!  Wink

ANX4fishing

Tue May 02, 2006 4:44 am

I have given this particular subject much thought in recent weeks. My decision was finalized over the past days while participating in a discussion which, to my way of thinking, should not have taken place at all. Some members took that occasion to criticize the original poster, make wild statements and one person even compared America to Nazi Germany. That was the straw that has broken the back of this camel.

Dude, listen here...

Although I agree with some of what you say, I think you're taking this stupid web site way too seriously. You've surfed the web other than a.net? This site is very benign, full of moderation and censorship. In fact, when I read something vaguely controversial on a.net, I'm surprised the moderators don't hit the panic button och slash the content.

No one cares. Get a life.

Wanna bet you'll sign up again under a different name..?  Wink

Mina .02 ören SEK

ANX

cainanuk

Tue May 02, 2006 4:46 am

See ya! Dont forget to check you six!
Cainan Cornelius

FLY2LIM

Tue May 02, 2006 4:48 am

OK, here's my wisdom. As long as an internet site is open to all, there will be those who will bring down the level of discussions, just as newspapers are written in language that is at the middle school level (12-13 years old) so everyone can read and understand it. The type of site you want, purely technical and supportive of an industry, is the type that restricts membership. A.net does not, so you'll have the "armchair CEOs" who are in their teens telling people how they see the world. If they pay their money, they are entitled to their opinion.
I often disagree with people, but I also enjoy learning from those who know what they are talking about. I am neither a pilot nor do I work in the industry. However, I love to fly on commercial jets and find this website quite useful for my interest.
I hope you change your mind, for you would be diluting the knowledge base that we all enjoy to learn from.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

Dougloid

Tue May 02, 2006 4:55 am

Well, all I can say is that participating here is something of a reality check.

It HAS taught me to be a little less apt to pull the trigger unless what I'm about to post passes the bullshit sniff test. I'm getting my posts pulled and being banned a lot less than I was before I decided I was going to shut my pie hole and listen to WTF people were saying.

When I've test fired an idea around here a lot of times it ends on the cutting room floor instead on on one of my blogs.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

dsa

Tue May 02, 2006 4:57 am

I echo some of your sentiments, I like to make a good contribution and when I don't or certain elements of my post are incorrect I like other posters to identify this POLITELY.

Thanks to those that do

DSA>>
Go Skybus!!!!

drinkstrolley

Tue May 02, 2006 4:59 am

Who are you and will you departing A.Net have a major impact on my life?

bond007

Tue May 02, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting Timboflier215 (Reply 5):
Quoting PM (Reply 3):
It's just a silly website that ultimately means nothing so we shouldn't get it out of proportion

well said. all too true. its a shame that people do seem to treat it as life and death, but if you keep it in perspective, theres v little to get too wound up about. personal attacks not withstanding.

Correct!

It's a web forum guys...people post their questions/opinions and we're all mostly anonymous...that's all it is...a website!

...and I'll guarantee that you'll continue to read the forums under a false/new username...that's the way these forums work...so you probably won't be leaving anytime soon  Wink

Jimbo

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

PM

Tue May 02, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting Drinkstrolley (Reply 18):

I suspect this kind of nasty and unnecessary response is the reason why BAW716 is inclined to spend his time elsewhere. You can't blame him.

9252fly

Tue May 02, 2006 5:41 am

This site is an exercise in democracy. We as individuals may not always like what we read,or for that matter have our comments respected,such is the reality of online forums. Picking the diamonds out from within the garbage is what makes A.net worthwhile(It's been a bit time consuming lately).

lhrmaccoll

Tue May 02, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting PM (Reply 20):
Quoting Drinkstrolley (Reply 18):

I suspect this kind of nasty and unnecessary response is the reason why BAW716 is inclined to spend his time elsewhere. You can't blame him.

Exactly, totally with you.
Pathetic excuse to be rude to someone. Why?
He was showing his views, just listen..

777STL

Tue May 02, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Dsa (Reply 17):
I echo some of your sentiments, I like to make a good contribution and when I don't or certain elements of my post are incorrect I like other posters to identify this POLITELY.

Thanks to those that do

Exactly. I don't claim to be an expert on any of this stuff, I come here more to read and learn what other KNOWLEDGEABLE members, most in the industry, have to say.

I mean it's ridiculous nowadays. I have to qualify everything I say with an "...it's my opinion" or "I think..." to keep some preteen adolescent from tearing me a new one because he doesn't like my viewpoint. In fact I just had a thread like that the other day....

I'd love to be able to post here without having to worry about some smart ass comment or personal attack. Lord knows the mods delete and edit my stuff enough, I think it's time they can focus some of that pent up frustration on the people that are really dragging this place into the sewers. Unfortunately BAW716 isn't the first valuable member to be chased away, and won't be the last. I personally know a handful of people in the industry who got tired of being incorrectly contradicted by some adolescent, when they were right in the first place!

I don't have a problem listening to others' opinions, but I draw the line at being attacked for having my own. I think that's how a lot of people feel. If this were a monthly subscription site, I would have withdrawn a long time ago.

Just my two cents....

[Edited 2006-05-01 23:00:04]
PHX based

aa757first

Tue May 02, 2006 6:07 am

To those of you who are the armchair CEOs and pilots on this forum, let me leave you with this piece of advice: Check your facts before you write something. The members of this community who are in aviation and the airline industry (as I have been for over 28 years) will not put up with people making statements that are flat wrong and/or are irresponsible.

Who cares? It's the internet.

AAndrew

nworlnsbearcub

Tue May 02, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting PM (Reply 20):

EXACTLY! Rude, obnoxious people.

Leave unscathed.

Michael
Austin, TX

p.s. those types are EVERYWHERE.
Long after the thrill of low price, lingers the bad taste of low quality..

jacobin777

Tue May 02, 2006 6:17 am

maybe A.net should have an "ignore poster" button like yahoo message board or RagingBull message board have......would make things a lot easier for many people...

that being said, I tend to read everyone's posts.....even Keesje's and Thorben's..... spin 
"Up the Irons!"

Dougloid

Tue May 02, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 26):
that being said, I tend to read everyone's posts.....even Keesje's and Thorben's.....

Nurse, more Valium please and tighten up the straight jacket! Jacobin777's off his rocker again LOL.

bouncy   bouncy   bouncy 
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

timboflier215

Tue May 02, 2006 6:32 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 26):
that being said, I tend to read everyone's posts.....even Keesje's and Thorben's.....

LOL!! that made me smile!

everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if people want to be rude, fine by me. i aint gonna get worked up over it. it just reflects more badly on them than on those who are polite. thank you 'PM' for at least trying to be nice. you've earned a spot on my Respected Users list because of it.

MalpensaSFO

Tue May 02, 2006 6:37 am

BAW716,

It is sad to see a person with such information and insight depart. You have added a lot to this forum and you will continue to do so should you change your mind. There are many on this forum who dont understand that to love aviation is to both coddle, and detest; admire, and loathe. There are many sides to aviation. There is good and there is bad. I know my opinion may not hold much weight, but if you depart from Airliners.net, you will be letting those who have bothered you so much win.

In any case continue to admire aviation, and civil aviation in the future. There are to few of us these days that look at an airliner as a sight of beauty, and not a form of mass transit!

Fly Safe...
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

F9Animal

Tue May 02, 2006 6:39 am

Sorry to hear that you have decided to leave. I too have noticed what you are talking about. Unfortunatley, the problem is that it will continue. No matter how you look at it, we live in a nasty world. The United States is always going to get bashed too. All I know is,,,, I love my country. May not like the president, but I know that my backyard is safe.

Good luck!
I Am A Different Animal!!

USADreamliner

Tue May 02, 2006 6:45 am

This is a real farewell, or a " Cher" type?

C'mon BAW716, Cheer Up! Can you prevent people from making stupid comments? Well,no. So, just ignore them.

Good luck, anyway.

USADreamliner Big grin

breiz

Tue May 02, 2006 7:04 am

BAW716,
Sorry you came to that decision.
You have obviously taken some of the discussions on A.net to much at heart.
As for myself, I have kept to facts and ventured opinions carefully, trying not to provoke or offend.
This site is meant for the pleasure we have to exchange infos on aviation.
We have a life outside A.net and trying to make a point on the site will not bring us any reward (oh, yes by the way, RR Smile).
I hope you may re-consider and just let go what you do not like.
Good infos on the airline business is what counts.
All the best anyway.

zvezda

Tue May 02, 2006 7:14 am

Best of luck in your future endeavors.

BAxMAN

Tue May 02, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 33):
Best of luck in your future endeavors.

Hehehe! All he's doing is leaving an internet forum (for all of 2 months or so if judging by other people's standards) - it's not as if he's about to become a monk or live in some cave in Montana.
Mild green Fairy liquid

HS748

Tue May 02, 2006 7:27 am

Quoting Dsa (Reply 17):

Thanks to those that do

As politely as I can........it's not those that do it's those who do!

[Edited 2006-05-02 00:28:23]

baw716
Topic Author

Tue May 02, 2006 10:43 am

My sincere thanks to those of you who have expressed your kind words at my departure.

The ordinary thing to have done would be just leave. However, what does that accomplish?

My hope was, by expressing my frustration at the level of discussion on the C.A. forum that perhaps some people who fell into that second category I mentioned might take heed and be more mindful of what is being said.

As for the comment that I am being too sensitive and "letting" this stuff get to me, I would agree. I am sensitive. That is because I have given the better part of 30 years to this industry and it makes me sad that we cannot have civil discourse. I do have a rather thick skin and I have taken a lot of heat for certain things I have said in the past. I've taken it. Its part of the game when you are involved in an internet forum. I didn't make the post to pontificate about why I was leaving...I could have simply left. However, the things that were said on that particular topic were so vile that I cannot believe that the forum moderator did not remove them on his own accord.

That was the entire reason for my posting it on the Civil Aviation forum. Yes, it didn't belong there. Now that its been pulled, no one else will see that this was the point I was trying to make.

No, I will not read this forum under another name, I am withdrawing my membership and spending my limited time elsewhere. I just wanted to make my feelings known one last time...which I have done.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

HT

Tue May 02, 2006 7:03 pm

.. Around 6 months ago, I decided that I wasn't really learning anything new and was spending more time fighting fires than adding valuable contributions. Know what I did? Sent a quick e-mail to the site admin, cancelled my moderator privileges and just stopped posting. Simple as that.

In business training I´ve been taught to use the phrase "Change it, Love it or Leave it" for business decisions. However I´ve adopted this also to private decisions.
LHR777, so you took the option "Leave it" for which I have great respect.

Quoting BAW716 (Reply 36):
No, I will not read this forum under another name

There´s no need to be a registered user in order to just "read" in the forums.

That was the entire reason for my posting it on the Civil Aviation forum.

Sorry, but a leave-note from a person (i.e. A.net user) hardly is "General Aviation" (neither here in A.net not in real business); it´s work-staff (aka. "Human Ressources" in some environments) and on A.net this is forum "Site related".

Now that its been pulled, no one else will see that this was the point I was trying to make.

With respect: I think you have made your point clear and if your decision is to "leave" (see my words above), this decision should be respected by everybody. At least you have my respect for your personal decision.
Farewell,
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

christeljs

Wed May 10, 2006 3:13 am

I have to agree that this place feels like someone is always trying to attack you, either it's because of your language (Yes English isn't even my maiden language), you said something wrong, and someone ALWAYS have to point it out, you can never win.
Someone else always know better than you. People honestly take airliners net more "seriously" than their pilot licence.

I like being a member here, but people always do point out what you stand for. NO MATTER WHAT IT IS.

It's just a competition...like no one really can beat Sam Chui. Why? Because he's VIP, and we're not.
Christel A Photography

NIKV69

Wed May 10, 2006 3:29 am

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 37):
I have to agree that this place feels like someone is always trying to attack you, either it's because of your language (Yes English isn't even my maiden language), you said something wrong, and someone ALWAYS have to point it out, you can never win.

Very true, but don't let it get you down, the few that have to do this are really inconsequencial at best.

It's just a competition...like no one really can beat Sam Chui. Why? Because he's VIP, and we're not.

Sam is one of the best but why not go shoot yuor best and upload, you may surprise yourself.
I am the Googlizer!!!

viv

Wed May 10, 2006 3:44 pm

this thread will remain active for one week, then I will pull my profile and terminate my membership

That was 9 days ago. Have you changed your mind?
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

VC-10

Wed May 10, 2006 5:44 pm

If English isn't your first language have you considered that the 'attack' is someone correcting you so you can learn from the experience & IMPROVE your foreign language skills?

KaiGywer

Thu May 11, 2006 7:11 am

Hmm, how long of a week did you mean?
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

kiwiinoz

Thu May 11, 2006 11:14 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 41):
Hmm, how long of a week did you mean?

I think it's a Klingon week, wait a couple more days.

I'm assuming it's guys like this that will hold their funerals a couple of weeks before they die just so they can hang around and check how much people loved them. Bit sad really.