Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dutchjet
Topic Author

A.net Has Been Invaded By Children And Others

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:30 am

I have hung out at a.net for a long time and find it enjoyable.

In the past days, its seems as if the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners, asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times, and making remarks that reveal no knowledge and can be considered inflamatory.....including the classics such as EUrope should buy Airbus to be patriotic, and the like.

What is going on? Its killing this once excellent site.

srbmod

RE: A.net Has Been Invaded By Children And Others

Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:45 am

School is out for the summer, so once again it is time for the kids to spend their days playing on the computer instead of outside. And being the bored little brats they are, they'll spend their summer lighting fires on internet forums.

You'd think the parents would have an issue with having to use their credit card to pay for little Johnny to join, but in this day of "enlightened" parenting, some parents just won't refuse their kids and give in to any little demand.

floridaflyboy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:02 am

I think it's great. We're all aviation enthusiasts on here. These kids have to learn all about it somehow. Maybe they can use A.net to gain a little knowledge.
Good goes around!

christeljs

Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 2):
Maybe they can use A.net to gain a little knowledge.

Knowledge from what? Other kids?
Christel A Photography

planecrazy2

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Christeljs (Reply 3):
Knowledge from what? Other kids?

I learn something new almost ever time I log on to this site. There are quite a few people here who do make intelligent posts.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

aa61hvy

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:38 am

I fail to see the problem. I joined when I was 15, and I'm still around. People had patience with me when I may have asked a rather simple question, I'm sure people had tolerated some 'mindless' questions asked by you when you were a little one. Have patience. If you do not like that then maybe you should exit...
Go big or go home

HAWK21M

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:00 am

As long as the Questions make sense.
There are very Intelligent People out here to give them worthy Answers.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

2H4

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:39 am

In the Tech/Ops forum, you'll find that some of the most interesting and thought-provoking discussions evolve from the simplest, most basic questions. Time after time, a thread that begins with "This may be a stupid question, but..." turns into a discussion that intrigues even the most seasoned professionals. The resulting discourse provides perspective for all.

I think the key is to post with discipline, and avoid presenting an opinion or speculation as fact.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

srbmod

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:44 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 5):
I fail to see the problem. I joined when I was 15, and I'm still around.

But did you spam the forums like some of these new members have lately? I doubt it. One of these new members joined 30 hours ago and already has 158 posts and started 9 threads, many of them the same topic, just the airline or airport changed.

mariner

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:44 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Thread starter):

I agree there is a deal of chaff, Dutchjet, but there are some good ones, too.

There is one, from New Zealand, who says he is in the 13-15 age group, but I find that a bit hard to believe.

His posts are excellent, well thought out and revealing good knowledge. He isn't always right, but then none of us are.

I guess he makes up for some of the others.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

Sabena332

Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:55 am

I know many 13-15 year old members who contribute really interesting stuff to the Civil Aviation Forum and all the other forums. I prefer to read their posts than posts from 21-25 or 26-35 year old members who have apparently nothing better to do than turning every thread into an Airbus vs. Boeing flamefest.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

airbusA346

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:00 am

The forums can be used to ask questions, and learn new things, that what it is here for.

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

JetBlueAUS

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:04 am

Erm... maybe I'm one of those 13-15 year old kids you're talking about. However, I do not believe that I spam the forums. If I ever am wrong about something or anything can you PM me? And explain it to me, because I am still fairly new to these forums. I haven't yet received, "Go back to play your video games," or "Finish school first and then come back to these forums," comments and I don't want one. Again, if you have any advice or anything please PM me, politely.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

airbusA346

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 am

Also I have just looked on the Forum frontpage and nobody in the 'Welcome New Members' is in the 13-15 category.

https://www.airliners.net/discussions/

Tom.
Tom Walker '086' First Officer of a A318/A319 for Air Lambert - Hours Flown: 17 hour 05 minutes (last updated 24/12/05).

jetflyer

Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:28 am

Dear threadstarter,

It sounds as if you need to learn to do something with all the spare time you seem to have available to express your disgust with such a trivial issue as to who seems to be doing god knows what on an internet forum... of all things.

mariner

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 12):
Erm... maybe I'm one of those 13-15 year old kids you're talking about.

You may be in the age group, but I doubt you are one of the ones he means.

I've read a number of your posts, and I think they're good. I think you make a few sweeping statements, but that's part of the learning process.

And heck, I've been known to make a sweeping statement or two, and it is a very long time since I was 13-15.  Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

jetblueatjfk

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:30 am

I'm in that age group and I hope you aren't referring to me, I don't think i do anything bad. I tend not to ever really ask that many questions on here because of this sites many rude users shooting me down. So I just search a lot of things but I don't really ask that much things so I hope I don't add to anything bad.

B6jfk airplane 

JetBlueAUS

Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 15):
I've read a number of your posts, and I think they're good. I think you make a few sweeping statements, but that's part of the learning process.

And heck, I've been known to make a sweeping statement or two, and it is a very long time since I was 13-15.

Thanks Mariner. I know I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as a lot of other members who actually do work in the airline biz.

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 16):
I tend not to ever really ask that many questions on here because of this sites many rude users shooting me down.

checkmark 
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

sunking737

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:01 am

You can always start another web site were you can hang out. I belong to 2 fourms about USAF stuff. One I don't post on as much because of the people who think they are right no matter what, or they are so rude. The one I post the most I am their to learn.

I like airliners because I can meet people who work for the other airlines or used to. These folks are the good ones. The kids drive me crazy too. I go online to get away from my kids not to chat with no it alls who don't know anything.

I even find it rude of those who cut down others because of that airline they work for.
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

rjpieces

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:25 am

I was posting regularly in the threads I think DutchJet is referring to. I generally have no problem with kids on A.net (heck I'm still young)...But sometimes they do just turn a solid thread into childish attacks and meaningless dribble.
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

N600RR

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:16 pm

its seems as if the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners

gasp 

asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times

covereyes 

I would suspect that most members have asked silly questions at one time or another in this, or a previous, life; and if ALL the questions about aviation have already been asked and answered, then we should be content with reading archived threads and not post anything new.

and making remarks that reveal no knowledge

...and your solution would be...? Have an age limit and require prospective members prove their age before being allowed to join? Have an entrance exam? Have all posts screened for relevance, knowledge and insight?

Wow! That sounds really fun and interesting... no 
"And the fluffy white lines that the airplane leaves behind are drifting right in front of the waning of the moon" -Cake

2H4

Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:28 pm

Quoting N600RR (Reply 20):
and if ALL the questions about aviation have already been asked and answered, then we should be content with reading archived threads and not post anything new.

Indeed....and to take it a step further, the answers to all of those same old questions are constantly evolving with the continuous development and understanding of new technology and ideas.

Quoting N600RR (Reply 20):
...and your solution would be...?

Exactly. In the end, complaining about something without presenting potential solutions amounts to nothing more than whining.  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

ANCFlyer

Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:39 pm

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 4):
I learn something new almost ever time I log on to this site.

With few damned exceptions if you're learning it on Civ-Av from one of the teenie bopper CEOs, it's wrong . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

airwave

Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
I think the key is to post with discipline, and avoid presenting an opinion or speculation as fact.

And avoid emotional extremes. It's one thing to be happy, sad, or upset; it's quite another to be zealous, melancholy, or belligerent. I've seen more threads devolve because of emotional content than because of any topical content.

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 19):
But sometimes they do just turn a solid thread into childish attacks and meaningless dribble.

It's not just the youngin's who do that, sadly. And I think that that might be one of the problems--older, supposedly more mature members acting like they belong in the 13-15 age group. And it leads to the worst type of impression on the 13-15'ers. I mean, hey, they want to be treated like adults right? Well, they'll start acting like them first--even (or especially) if it's like a bad role model on an internet forum.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 21):
In the end, complaining about something without presenting potential solutions amounts to nothing more than whining.

checkmark 

Personally, I'm glad that we have such a strong juvenille membership. To me, that shows that there continues to be interest in commercial aviation and all the industries that tie to it. That's as solid a sign for the future as anything, I think, and rather than bitch and moan about it and try and have Johan stifle it, members should embrace or at least accept it for what is is. Certainly, there are young teens on here who may not have the best social skills or the brightest intellects, but members with a less-than-accomodating view of children should at the very least let them have their say.

Besides, not everybody who comes here knows everything, knows where to find everything on this site, knows every question that's been asked, or knows how to get the search function to work. Hell, even some senior members confess to continuning trouble. So give the kids a break and help them learn. If you've no interest in teaching them, then you shouldn't bitch about their apparent lack of knowledge.

Of course topics will be repeated ad infinitum, but that's fine by me. The minute we stop seeing a 13-15 bracket member ask about what the differences between a 737 and a 747 are will be a sad day indeed.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Leskova

Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Quoting RJpieces (Reply 19):
But sometimes they do just turn a solid thread into childish attacks and meaningless dribble.

As others have said, and I'm sure you fully agree, it's not just the 13-15 age group that does that... unfortunately there are a lot of members in those higher age groups that seem to think that insulting or bashing is the only way to argue... not only is this, obviously, not true, but it's setting the tone and creating a precedent for those new members joining.

I know that, for example, Johan has stated a short while ago that he thinks the discussions today are better than they used to be - personally, I fully disagree with that opinion: today, most discussions are quickly turned into idiotic bashing sessions with most knowlegable members keeping quickly tuning out.

The really interesting thing on this website for me has been trying to find out who knows what he's talking about and who doesn't. There are some members on here with whom I've probably never agreed, but who are able to argue and present facts, who don't present opinions as facts and who don't contribute to the usual A/B-nonsense by posting those ever annoying "I'm glad they only buy Airbus/Boeing, because the other manufacturer sucks/builds junk/doesn't know what it's doing/will be bankrupt soon/never meets expectations/whatever-other-nonsense-people-think-of".

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
With few damned exceptions if you're learning it on Civ-Av from one of the teenie bopper CEOs, it's wrong . . .

Fully agree - but as soon as you've found out who knows what he/she's talking about, this site can really be quite interesting.

In the end, all of us were young once - and we all asked strange or dumb questions at one point or another in our lives... hell... most of us still do.

It's called learning - and asking is one of the few ways it works.

While I usually hate this response, I guess at this moment I can only say: if you don't like the thread, or think that the member that started it only posts nonsense, don't read it.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

jetflyer

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:34 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):

Yes there are the odd exceptions but IMHO generalising about them is just as wrong, and there are plenty of people in lower age groups who do not have intent to give out mis-information and can contribute in a sensible manner and learn from everybody else. Don't forget, although maybe your life experiences have left you cynical you were once an annoying little dumb kid so don't take this all so seriously.

Feel free to flame away if you have the time but look at it this way (and I'm NOT defending armchair CEOs....), in this world there WILL ALWAYS be people like that, especially those with less life experience, who get up your @ss, so there's really nothing you or anybody else can do about them, as annoying as they are. Everybody has two choices:

1) Learn to cope with it
2) Go run and hide

When most people complain about something it is either

1) for the sake of complaining OR
2) Complain to have further action taken

but the problem with that, is WHAT action can you really take? Just ban everyone instantly who is 13-15 years old? no, not realistic. It takes a hell of a load of types to make a world, and in any community there will be the "armchair CEOs" and know nothings who think they know it all.

So really, I see the thread starters and other complainer's points really are just the opposite, quite pointless, and complaining for the sake of it only makes YOU more miserable, cynical and let down. Why take it so seriously?!?

[Edited 2006-06-05 16:44:21]

viv

Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:59 pm

Its killing this once excellent site.

Horsefeathers! The young contributors are the wave of the future.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

wrighbrothers

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:20 am

I'm in the age group, and would hope I've made a reasonably good contribution.
I gain knowledge all the time, we've got to remember that what seems dumb to you might not to someone else, everything we know we've had to learn at some time, how would you like it if your parents had called you stupid for asking a question that seems reasonable or are asking because you don't know, we were all that age at some point.
Also, please don't make generalisations, some 13-15yr olds might make better contributions than 21-25yr old, just because you're young doesn't mean you are immediately lesser or dumber than those older than you, if that were true, it'd be a hard life.
Obviously if it's really dumb, then perhaps someone should tell them personally, instead of making a generalisation.

Wrighbrothers
Always stand up for what is right, even if it means standing alone..

Gofly

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:24 am

Maybe I should post a view from the other side of the fence.  Wink

I must admit recently I have noticed a small number of members in 13-15 age bracket who are behaving like 13 year olds. Funny that!  Wink  silly 

While I completely agree that some younger members may be causing problems, I see many more of the supposedly 'mature' members causing trouble. It's sometimes more to do with personality than it is age.

Quoting Leskova (Reply 24):
Fully agree - but as soon as you've found out who knows what he/she's talking about, this site can really be quite interesting.

Exactly. If you read close enough, you get to know who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't. You then learn which sources to trust, and which ones to be slightly unsure about.

It still makes me laugh when somebody tries to argue 747 procedures with PhilSquares!  silly 

Quoting Airwave (Reply 23):
Besides, not everybody who comes here knows everything, knows where to find everything on this site, knows every question that's been asked, or knows how to get the search function to work. Hell, even some senior members confess to continuning trouble. So give the kids a break and help them learn. If you've no interest in teaching them, then you shouldn't bitch about their apparent lack of knowledge.

Very well said, for the younger generation A.net is a great place to learn. If somebody is asking about something, and I know the answer for certain, then I'm more than happy to help them. I remember when I first joined and all the help and advice people gave me. As has been said, people don't know everything, and instead of having a go at them for it, help them learn.

But in all honesty I do see your point. I won't name names, but I can think of a few younger members who need to sort out the way they post. I'm hoping it will come with time and all you need is patience, but I understand that is probably wishful thinking.  Wink

Now if we want to go into possible solutions such as an age restriction, I doubt it would work. If you're under 16 and want to join A.net then you just lie. It couldn't be easier. The only members it would stop would be those who are honest with their age. And my guess is those who are honest with their age might be the ones who actually contribute something!

People also need to lighten up, it's an internet forum! In my experience if you're not easily offended, then things become alot easier.

// Rant over! Big grin

Now it's hot outside for once, so I'm out of here! Big grin

Take care,
-Gofly
Living the high life on my ex-Airliners.net Moderator pension...

viv

Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 27):
I'm in the age group, and would hope I've made a reasonably good contribution.
I gain knowledge all the time, we've got to remember that what seems dumb to you might not to someone else, everything we know we've had to learn at some time, how would you like it if your parents had called you stupid for asking a question that seems reasonable or are asking because you don't know, we were all that age at some point.
Also, please don't make generalisations, some 13-15yr olds might make better contributions than 21-25yr old, just because you're young doesn't mean you are immediately lesser or dumber than those older than you, if that were true, it'd be a hard life.

I agree - excellent post.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

NIKV69

Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:32 am

(and others)

Explain "others"

with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners, asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times, and making remarks that reveal no knowledge and can be considered inflamatory.....including the classics such as EUrope should buy Airbus to be patriotic, and the like.

We get this behavior from adults here as well. Leave them alone and let the mods police the site.
I am the Googlizer!!!

jetblueatjfk

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:10 am

the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners,

That statement offends me now that I look back at that. Saying that I, who am in that group have little knowledge and that all the older people in this site know more than me. I can name a list of at least 30 people who are older than me and I feel that my posts are more thought out or more factual than theirs.

That is a very offensive statement and you shouldn't make such a generalization.

B6jfk airplane 

GSM763

Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:42 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 31):
That statement offends me now that I look back at that. Saying that I, who am in that group have little knowledge and that all the older people in this site know more than me. I can name a list of at least 30 people who are older than me and I feel that my posts are more thought out or more factual than theirs.

That is a very offensive statement and you shouldn't make such a generalization.

B6jfk airplane

Exactly as I'm also in what some people would term "The age group of evil" I don't agree that all people our age don't know what they're talking about. I don't post in Tech/Ops partly because I would have no idea what I was talking about but mostly because it doesn't intrest me. I and others may ask the odd dumb question but I can recall older people asking stupid questions (IIRC What does the U in Quantas stand for was a clanger). So please don't generalize in future everyone has the right to make they're opinion known on A.NET (so long as it's not inflamitory, racist etc.) and people do sometimes ask stupid questions but you just have to let it go and get on with life.

Just my 2 cents.

jetblueatjfk

Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:01 am

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 32):

Yea same, I would never go in the tech ops forum and post their because I am not on that level but the way the thread started came off to em like my age group has less knowledge so that means the older poeple have more(which means they could all post their). Unless you would like to rephrase one of the opening sentences to change that, but by the way the thread starter stated it, it comes off as the older people are smarter, which now means they could post in the tech/ops and if not they must be 13-15.

B6jfk airplane 

7LBAC111

Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Gofly (Reply 28):

checkmark 

I pretty much share the opinions of Dutchjet and Srbmod. However reponses such as this one from Gofly make us realise that for every 10 'brats' out there, there is one who makes it worthwhile keeping the forums open to people of this age group.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

FlightShadow

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:23 am

I'm 15. I joined Airliners basically because I wanted to link up with other people in and around SLC that enjoyed spotting, in the hopes that I could learn things from them. The night I joined, "The SLC Spotters" threads were started. Most of my posts were in those threads, and I think most of those posts have been intellegent contributions.

I am also guilty of a degree of childishness, however - the days after I missed Three AN-124s in SLC, I blew up in all caps and an array of emoticons in a few different threads. These blow-ups were almost immediately deleted; it was a rather humbling experience. I have tried my best not to be so childish since then, but if I did disrupt others with my actions, I'm sorry  Sad .

I also remember starting a thread in Civ-Av entitled "WN has no Redeyes?!?." This thread was shut down with the response "Use the search function" by a nameless older, more experienced member. (I had used the search function, with no results). In my honest opinion, these superior members that post remarks like the one I just outlined, stopping intellegent, thoughtful discussion in favor of reading a textbook, hurt the site more than the handful of 13-15 year olds acting their age.

I came to this site to learn, and learn I have. Most younger members join to learn about what they hope to be doing in a few years - and I'd bet a lot that the people who joined here while they were young will turn out to be the 747 Captains, LAX Tower Controllers, and Airline Directors of the future. Although I see the points of the OP and 1st Reply in some cases, generalizing like this is a very bad and offensive thing to do. Remember, it is us 13-15 year olds that will be running the show in a few years, and keeping you safe when you reach an elderly age.

Regards,
Jeff

PS - Am I seeing a coorelation between this thread and the "There should be child-free flights" threads?  Wink
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

jamesbuk

Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:56 am

3-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners

Well we all have to start somewhere!!
You joined here when you were between 31-40, now you tell me this truthfully that you havent asked a question that now when you look back at it, it is completely stupid!

The fact is with a website this large with thousands of members your always going to have a portion of "kids". You only notice there "kids" because they might say something which you call stupid and you then think hang on a min this guy/gal has got to be young to ask something that stupid!

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
give in to any little demand.

Or they are encouraging out of school education, and like my parents they say they let me have flying lessons and other flying stuff to keep me occupied and not get dragged into the street corner weed smoking gangs.

Quoting Planecrazy2 (Reply 4):
learn something new almost ever time I log on to this site.

Couldnt agree more, The Tech/ops forum is great for learning new stuff becaus e REAL pilots and REAL techies over there are patient and they explain stuff. Of course there are armchair CEO's but im sure it isnt only the younger end of the site, can anyone here honestly say that they havent said, "Hey _______ should fly here because they will make millions" or something similar to that.

Quoting Gofly (Reply 28):
It still makes me laugh when somebody tries to argue 747 procedures with PhilSquares!

Oh god that is funny, but then im fairly sure hes learned a few things from non 744 pilots as theres no such thing as a "Perfect" pilot.

In reality people, its a tiny tiny minority of people who spoil the forums, they are in every age category its just people pick on us young'uns because we will give into a fight, and when we dont you come over here and bitch about it.
My conclusion is, live with it and STOP flaming them because they start a thread and you start flaming them saying OH we discuss this billions of times, well guess what they might have joined 10 secs ago, so think what your going to post.

Lifes a bitch, deal with it!

Rgds --James--

P.S. GReat site, all the mods, screeners and Johan are doing a GREAT job no matter what people say!!
You cant have your cake and eat it... What the hells the point in having it then!!!

ABfemme

Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:13 am

the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others)

Hi Dutchjet

I would also like to know who you refer to as 'Others' ?

I am a relatively new member, in the older age group and like the younger guys and gals, I joined A.Net primarily to learn about Aviation AND have some fun with people who share my hobby/interest.

I can see from the above replies that there are mixed feelings about your post. Generalising about certain groups of people can be offensive, as has been pointed out.

Not all of us have the extent of knowledge as some of our more learned members and as mentioned numerous times above, this is a place to learn -
not just for our younger participants but for the likes of me too !

I suggest that perhaps being more selective in the posts that you read will save your frustrations.

Regards
ABfemme.
Women do not have hot flushes, they have power surges

HAWK21M

Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:25 am

I guess.If you find the Post Childish,don't revert to it.Reply to quality posts & quality posts will be noticed.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

jumbojim747

Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 38):
I guess.If you find the Post Childish,don't revert to it.Reply to quality posts & quality posts will be noticed.
regds
MEL

Well put MEL .
This is a place for all not just us old guys .
Airliners .net is for everyone to enjoy and learn not for the learner ed only.
Cheers
On a wing and a prayer

andessmf

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:33 am

In the past days, its seems as if the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners, asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times, and making remarks that reveal no knowledge and can be considered inflamatory.....including the classics such as EUrope should buy Airbus to be patriotic, and the like

13-15 y.o. kids with no real knowledge asking (silly) questions. Isn't that good? We all have to start somewhere.

13-15 y.o. kids making remarks with no real knowledge? Didn't we all go thru that phase?

We can't complain about NORMAL behavior from kids. While some are certainly annoying, I have seen a good share of 'kids' that give plenty of hope for the future.

ATAIndy

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
And being the bored little brats they are

Hmm, I'm going to try to find this non-offensive to me since I'm 13-15  Wink

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 8):
But did you spam the forums like some of these new members have lately? I doubt it. One of these new members joined 30 hours ago and already has 158 posts and started 9 threads, many of them the same topic, just the airline or airport changed.

I think I know who you're talking about...

When I first joined at the age of 13, I think a couple of my posts may have been asking stupids questions and the like, but that was just a few. And two years later I have matured, and I am much better at this posting "game." So give the others a chance, if you don't teach them, they won't learn.
Boiler up!

alaskaqantas

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:08 am

I am in the 13-15 age group, and I don't think most of the kids in here make to many mistakes. Sure we all have our goofs, I've had mine, I bet Dutchjet, you have too. If I make a mistake and you point it out to me, I will take it in stride and learn from it, if we weren't learning new things on this site then I'm not to sure if this site would be so big

I must commend Wrightbrothers, he hit the nail on the head.:

Quoting Wrighbrothers (Reply 27):
m in the age group, and would hope I've made a reasonably good contribution.
Obviously if it's really dumb, then perhaps someone should tell them personally, instead of making a generalisation

Please don't assume that because we are younger that we don't have any brains, most of the kids here must be smart to be able to contribute to an adult site, while not making a complete fool out of themselves. Heck I know myself along with other kids have won awards at school and around their community, and even if they haven't they still are good people.

I just went to a concert last night (Arlo Guthrie) and he said "I sing a lot about peace and love and how the world should get along, but if the world was perfect and nothing wrong happened; well then it would be damn hard to contribute, make a difference and to help people out." So if we were all perfect people just like Dutchjet, then we wouldn't need this site.

Please don't call us little brats that are just messing up "your" site. The only reason I am here is because I want to learn more about aviation, and to help were I can. I almost think that the first and second thread were childish and immature. to receive respect you must give it. First thing you learn in school.

Thank you for letting me rave, I do not mean to rant on Dutchjet or srbmod, but it was a bit childish of them to say all that. Thank you to those who give respect and those who help the future of not only this site, but the WORLD; by pointing us "brats" in the right direction.

~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
Think on this: You are innocent until proven guilty. Think of this in terms of the younger population. so in other words we all came into this site with a fresh slate(whether you're 14 or 41) and not till some one can prove that you don't deserve to be here more then one time well then that�s when the moderators step in.

give us a chance, eh?
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Newark777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 42):
I don't think most of the kids in here make to many mistakes.

You mean like spelling mistakes?

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 42):
You are innocent until proven guilty.

If you are charged with a crime, sure. Internet sites are a whole different domain.

Not saying I disagree with you, though.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

alaskaqantas

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:40 am

Harry:
Mistakes? Are you talking about in that sentence or in others, sorry there shouldn't be any... I did a spell check.  Wink

I can see were you are saying the whole innocent until proven guilty thing is not in context here, but I just wrote out what I meant by that. The way I think of things is: how can I change this to make it to my advantage (here it was backing up what I said). I was just trying to point out that they were saying that all kids are bad (not saying that there aren’t a few little runts on this site Wink) but really we should be given a chance and treated fairly, but if anyone, like I said whether you are 14 or 41, prove to a.net that they shouldn't be here, well then some action should take place.
sorry Newark777, I understand what you are saying and I'm truly not trying to get at you, I'm just tired of people thinking because we are kids that we don't know anything. sure we don't know as much as them, but that is because we are all learning... there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not only talking about on this site but in general.
Thanks Newark777
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

ua777222

Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:43 am

I am currently 16 years old and can see where you're coming from though I think the justification that all kids are ruining the site is false and unsupported. Adaptation and familiarization are key to functioning in any environment and this is one not to be excluded. I've been here for two and a half years or so and have accumulated around 2500 posts. I think the amount of knowledge I have taken away from this site is irreplaceable. I would like to say that others could say the same about what I have posted in the past and near future.

I have had both the fortune and misfortune of being young while still having traveled many places in the world both alone and with my family. When I post about my experiences and leave questions such as:

"Why do United and LH feel the need for only two SFO-FRA leg along with a code share between each other on the route when on average, passengers are stranded due to overbooked seating"

Before I can get a valid response, I have to dig though 40% of bs posts from people knocking my age or that I'm making something up in relation to the experience I had.

I will also admit that I have been factually incorrect in the past, but is the need to flame me for being an armchair CEO necessary? And then we have posts like these. If you all wouldn't mind stepping out of this post and heading down a few topics you'll find another written by myself showcasing some of a.net's elite adult members calling other member's wife's fat. Should we boot all members in their 30's-40's? It's a fact of life here at a.net. Unless it breaks any rules you need to just look past what apparent issues you find in kids these days. While some might object you should allow their opinion just as much as we do yours.

All my best,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

lordanmol

Sat Jun 10, 2006 10:10 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 12):
Erm... maybe I'm one of those 13-15 year old kids you're talking about. However, I do not believe that I spam the forums. If I ever am wrong about something or anything can you PM me?

That goes to me as well, I know there are many 13 - 15 years which are being talked about but if I am one of them than please can you just notify me and I will try not to make that mistake again.

Regards,
Hmmmmm....

Newark777

Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 44):
I did a spell check

Reminds me of the sportswriter a while back who published an article filled with misspelled basketball player names, since he allowed the spell checker to change them all. Moral of the story: Don't always trust the spell checker.  Wink

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 44):
sorry Newark777, I understand what you are saying and I'm truly not trying to get at you, I'm just tired of people thinking because we are kids that we don't know anything. sure we don't know as much as them, but that is because we are all learning... there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not only talking about on this site but in general.

No need to apologize, you haven't done anything wrong. The only time I get pissed off at the people here are when they try to correct people who have been in the industry for years, and then don't understand why people get angry at them. There's a difference between being a kid trying to learn, and being obnoxious forum spammer no one likes. Doesn't help if you're an annoying little kid that likes birds.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

ANITIX87

Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:47 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 47):
Doesn't help if you're an annoying little kid that likes birds.

Hey man, we were there not two years ago. I was the annoying little kid for a long time. All of my first 50 posts are like, "WOOOOAHHHH SO COOL!" or "HEY GUYS WHATS A WING?!" (just kidding about the second one).

Kids aren't too bad if they're here to actually learn something. The ones who act like know-it-alls are the ones I want to put through Concorde's Olympuses.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

David L

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:39 am

I'd just add the exellent responses that I've seen similar complaints fairly regaularly since I joined in 1999. I'm not convinced the proportion of dodgy questions is any worse. There are more posters therefore more good and bad questions.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
In the Tech/Ops forum, you'll find that some of the most interesting and thought-provoking discussions evolve from the simplest, most basic questions. Time after time, a thread that begins with "This may be a stupid question, but..." turns into a discussion that intrigues even the most seasoned professionals. The resulting discourse provides perspective for all.

Yeah. "What would happen if you had an aircraft made of chickenwire?"... what a stupid question that was.  biggrin