Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Newark777

RE: A.net Has Been Invaded By Children And Others

Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:40 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 48):
The ones who act like know-it-alls are the ones I want to put through Concorde's Olympuses.

Exactly.

Quoting David L (Reply 49):

Yeah. "What would happen if you had an aircraft made of chickenwire?"... what a stupid question that was.

Don't forget the conveyor belt.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

David L

Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 50):
Don't forget the conveyor belt.

Conveyor belt =  checkmark 
Conveyor belt with impossible properties =  talktothehand 

jonathan-l

Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:04 am

Quoting Dutchjet (Thread starter):
In the past days, its seems as if the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners, asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times

Good for them if they can learn something on the site.

I laugh at some of the posts by what you refer to as the "other" (and older) guys who:
-have lessons to give to the Airbus or Boeing organization when most of what they know of Airbus and Boeing is what comes by the internet
-know exactly what is on page 451 of Airline X's firm order contract
-can judge, with no judicial or trade experience, who is in the right and who is in the wrong, at the WTO trade hearings
-claim "a highly respected source" has told them that Airline X will likely order Aircraft Z because Manufacturer M gave a presentation last Thursday

There are qualified people in Civ Av, who write intelligent and factual remarks, but whose posts go unnoticed because too many aren't in Civ Av to learn something and respectfully debate but to sustain Airbus and Boeing rivalry with baseless remarks and speculative forecasts.

How many Civ Av posters actually do work for Airbus or Boeing? Aren't they the ones whos should be the most adamant in defending their organization?

ATCme

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:07 am

invaded by 13-15 years old
Hey, I resemble that remark! (oops, I mean resent).
I am a 15 yr old and I joined in December. I joined because I DON'T know everything, in fact, I don't know a lot of things. I may ask questions that may seem stupid to you, but I may just not know something that you take for granted. I apologise for these questions, but I am here to learn.
I don't know how to take or edit a picture well, so I post in the Photo section to learn how to improve.
I'm sorry for any trouble I or any others in my age group have caused you. In fact, I disagree with many of my peers at my school and am annoyed by them too. I don't stereotype though, many teens have good ideas and are very smart.
Just remember two things:
1) You were a 13/14/15 year old at one time
2) Today's teens are tomorrow's future- help them learn so your future isn't stupid!

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 36):
let me have flying lessons
-No Fair!

ATCme ??

Disclaimer: anything in this post should be taken at face value: My words are worth the paper they're written on, and after all, I'm just 15

Edit:

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 50):
Don't forget the conveyor belt.

I learned a lot from that forum, even if it was stupid. As 24H said:

Quoting 24H:
In the Tech/Ops forum, you'll find that some of the most interesting and thought-provoking discussions evolve from the simplest, most basic questions.

[Edited 2006-06-12 23:12:03]
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

Newark777

Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting ATCme (Reply 53):
I learned a lot from that forum, even if it was stupid. As 24H said:

I do too, the Tech/Ops forum was the reason I signed up here, and it is still the forum I read the most. I was just saying that the conveyor belt thread was one of the more memorable ones.

Harry

CF188A

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:20 am

You will noticed that many in my generation have the pilot dream. We grew up with it, and to some of us.... there is nothing more to live for in this world. I do not have a back up plan... and I never will. It somthing very few can understand
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

Newark777

Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting CF188A (Reply 55):
I do not have a back up plan

Well, that's certainly not very good.

Harry

David L

Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:06 am

Quoting Jonathan-l (Reply 52):
There are qualified people in Civ Av, who write intelligent and factual remarks, but whose posts go unnoticed because too many aren't in Civ Av to learn something and respectfully debate but to sustain Airbus and Boeing rivalry with baseless remarks and speculative forecasts.

As you say, not age related.

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 54):
I was just saying that the conveyor belt thread was one of the more memorable ones.

On the whole, it definitely was.

FURUREFA

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:32 am

Even though I am in that age group (I'm 13, almost 14), I find it very annoying when certain posters (not necessarily in this age range) ask stupid questions which one can not understand because he/she uses all caps or incorrect punctuation. They then have the guts to yell at everyone because we do not give them an adequate response.

Matt

P.S. I joined when I was 11 and I admit that I must have asked somee stupid questions when I first joined.

[Edited 2006-06-13 03:34:14]

Newark777

Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 58):
P.S. I joined when I was 11 and I admit that I must have asked somee stupid questions when I first joined.

I thought you're not allowed to join until you're 13?

Harry

FURUREFA

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:00 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 59):
I thought you're not allowed to join until you're 13?

Harry

When I joined, it was recommended that you were more than 13 but it specifically said that there were no age limitations.

Newark777

Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:04 am

Quoting FURUREFA (Reply 60):

When I joined, it was recommended that you were more than 13 but it specifically said that there were no age limitations.

Gotcha.

Harry

CF188A

Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:01 pm

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 56):
Well, that's certainly not very good.

no its very good. There is no reason why I cannot get what I dream for Smile
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow~ RIP ... LJFM

TACAA320

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:11 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 6):
As long as the Questions make sense.
There are very Intelligent People out here to give them worthy Answers.

Very well said!
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

INNflight

Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:08 am

Seems like the OP doesn't consider this thread worth to contribute anymore?!

Its killing this once excellent site.

EXACTLY this is the quote that comes up so regularly on this site! Of course there are threads and questions being reposted, that's nothing new.

F.
Jet Visuals

HorizonGirl

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:54 am

Hi, I'm 14 years of age, and while I partly agree with you
in regard to the stupid posts, I believe this is everyone's forum.
Mostly, I think this topic is about discrimination based on age.
I think that we should get as many younger people interested as possible.
This interest should be supported, where will our future
pilots come from? They won't just drop out of the sky! (well I sure
hope they won't) Not all younger members are totally stupid,
they just might not have the knowledge or the experience
of the older members.
It would be better to offer constructive advice, rather than being critical.

Devon
Flying high on the Wings of the Great Northwest!

David L

Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:19 pm

Quoting INNflight (Reply 64):
Seems like the OP doesn't consider this thread worth to contribute anymore?!

"Light blue touch-paper and retire to a safe distance".

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:55 am

I don't mind kids asking questions and contributing as long as...

They don't try to tell a real pilot with 20 years of 747 experience under his belt how to land at SFO. Sorry, kids. Despite what you'd like to believe, flight simulator games aren't the same as flying the real thing.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

Newark777

Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 am

It's the threads like this one that piss people off:
Continental And Stupid Destinations (by ContinentalGuy Jun 15 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Harry

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:27 am

In the past days, its seems as if the site has been invaded by 13-15 years old (and others) with little real knowledge of airlines or airliners, asking all kinds of silly questions that have been asked and answered a million times, and making remarks that reveal no knowledge and can be considered inflamatory.....including the classics such as EUrope should buy Airbus to be patriotic, and the like.

What is going on? Its killing this once excellent site.

I agree, although I think it's been in the process for several years now and isn't anything that has just started happening.

I think that an airliners.net affiliated forums site would be a great idea. They could call it AirlinersJunior.net Forums and it would be identical to the forums that currently exist, and run alongside with airliners.net forums.

Anyway, new subscribing members would have to take a 200 question 'Random Aviation Knowledge Test' or RAKT for short. If they scored 70% or higher, then they could proceed to join the regular Airliners.net Forums. If they scored less then 70% (50% if you want to be liberal) their membership would be registered as an AirlinersJunior.net account that comes with limited access to the regular forums. Perhaps they could view them, but not have authorization to post in them? For that, they would need to go to the secondary 'Junior Forums' which they would be able to start topics and reply in, as well as view and reply among themselves to the questions and posts coming from the regular Airliners.net forums. However, their replies and questions would stay on the Junior website and not be viewable to regular members on the current forums.

Every six months one would be eligible to re-take the RAKT ,and if at that time they scored over 70%, their Airliner.net membership would be upgraded have all privileges and access to the regular forums.

legoguy

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:20 am

Airliners.net is a great place for kids to learn, and communicting with people from all over the world is a good thing.

So im totally up for kids joining airliners.net, however, like many others here, as long as the posts are not completely stupid, however I have yet to see an irresponsible kid here
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

piercey

Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:55 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
School is out for the summer, so once again it is time for the kids to spend their days playing on the computer instead of outside. And being the bored little brats they are, they'll spend their summer lighting fires on internet forums.

If we wanted to light fires I'd just do it outside, no need to be banned for something I paid for  Wink

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 1):
You'd think the parents would have an issue with having to use their credit card to pay for little Johnny to join, but in this day of "enlightened" parenting, some parents just won't refuse their kids and give in to any little demand.

curiosity question: do you have kids? If so or not, in the future when they are 13 and they want to join this site, will you say no because they will "be stupid with their posting although I'm posting this ageist @#$% that paints everybody with one stroke."

Quoting Mariner (Reply 15):
And heck, I've been known to make a sweeping statement or two, and it is a very long time since I was 13-15.

yes, but we have come to expect that out of you  duck 

Quoting Viv (Reply 26):
Horsefeathers! The young contributors are the wave of the future.

checkmark 

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 35):
PS - Am I seeing a coorelation between this thread and the "There should be child-free flights" threads?

The threadstarter and first poster should also be banned from those flights if they ever exist.

btw, where is Dutchjet? he hasn't answered since he posted.

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 48):
The ones who act like know-it-alls are the ones I want to put through Concorde's Olympuses.

checkmark 

Now listen. I'll admit I have before made bonehead comments (look up my comments about AS I made back in Feb.), but I shut up and move on. If you ever have a problem with a member, e-mail them and get an answer. If they respond very rudley, then bring it to a mods attention or ignore them, simple as that.
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

texan

Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 16):
I tend not to ever really ask that many questions on here because of this sites many rude users shooting me down.

There are a decent amount of people, in various age groups, that feel the same way. It is partially understandable: it is much easier to attack than to make an argument. But don't let that hold you back. Ask questions, it is the best way to learn. If you do not feel comfortable asking the question in the forums, there are many members here who enjoy receiving questions about their airline, their airport, their work and will answer your questions to the best of their ability or direct you someplace where you could find the answers. The vast majority of people on this site will not attack you or shoot you down for asking a question, and those who do are easily identifiable because they do it all the time to everybody, not just 13-15 year olds.

I have not personally found 13-15 year olds to be any more or less annoying, rude, or clueless than any other age group. Of course, about my only stickling point is when people will not back up their statements with facts. Posts like, "Airbus sucks;" "I won't fly on that airline because they only fly Boeing planes;" etc are completely worthless, but are made by people in every age group.

Anyway, keep posting, keep asking questions, just research first to see if the topic has been discussed. And if there is a specific question that you think a specific member could answer, don't be afraid to ask them in a PM. Almost nobody minds a genuine question and will be polite enough to answer it.

Texan
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

David L

Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:10 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 69):

Behave!  biggrin 

YYZflyer

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:32 am

I am one of those "kids"(15 years old) and I came to learn about aviation, and I have. Before I joined I didn't know what a registration number was or heard of it. My flight log book has helped me learn what countries aircraft originate from. I've noticed some people at my school are clueless about a lot of things and have no common sense at all.

If one thinks that a question asked is stupid it is probably(not guaranteed) that they know the answer and don't feel like explaining it. Everyone asks dumb questions and that's one of the ways to learn. Learn from your mistakes. If we ask questions at our age now, we could be very knowledgeable in the future. So if you believe a post or thread has a stupid question, ignore it. And if someone tries to start an A vs B war just suggest deletion.
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

aero145

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:03 pm

Dutchjet (thread starter).

IMO this thread doesn't make sense. I am of the 13-15 year old group, and I do not accept this talk about youngsters. I am not a person that posts non-stop something that has been asked too often (except help with rejections).

That disturbs me on this site is thread like this ("A.net Has Been Invaded By Children And Others") and threads like this:

"What is the best camera...(blabla...)"

They have been posted so often, and mostly there's not anything in them telling the budget of the buyer, or what the buyer wants to spend on a camera.

Camera buyers, please tell in the thread what amount of money you can or want to spend in a camera... The threads will turn out much better!  Wink

Quoting HorizonGirl (Reply 65):
Quoting Dutchjet (Thread starter)

Hi, I'm 14 years of age, and while I partly agree with you
in regard to the stupid posts, I believe this is everyone's forum.
Mostly, I think this topic is about discrimination based on age.
I think that we should get as many younger people interested as possible.
This interest should be supported, where will our future
pilots come from? They won't just drop out of the sky! (well I sure
hope they won't) Not all younger members are totally stupid,
they just might not have the knowledge or the experience
of the older members.
It would be better to offer constructive advice, rather than being critical.

Devon

checkmark 

Well said Devon.

2H4

Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:51 pm

Young whippersnappers asking questions that may be perceived as dumb or annoying is nothing compared to grown adults who are unable to utilize proper...even passable spelling and grammar.

Examples:

• The misuse of "their", "they're", and "there"

• The misuse of "brakes" and "breaks"

• The big one...adding an apostrophe to each and every word ending in "s".

The second I see someone refer to the "break's" of an aircraft, I move on to the next post.

In my opinion, it is far more enjoyable to communicate with an articulate, disciplined, well-reasoned youngster trying to learn a thing or two than with an illiterate "expert" trying to teach a thing or two.  yes 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

TACAA320

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 68):
It's the threads like this one that piss people off:

Such thread does not exist.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Goldenshield

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting PWM2TXLHopper (Reply 69):
If they scored less then 70% (50% if you want to be liberal) their membership would be registered as an AirlinersJunior.net

That should read "50% if you want to be conservative." Liberals are about the PROgression of society, not the REgression.  Wink
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Newark777

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 77):
Such thread does not exist.

That means the mods are doing their jobs.  Wink

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 78):
That should read "50% if you want to be conservative." Liberals are about the PROgression of society, not the REgression.

Do you want me to send my dictionary to you? It seems you are getting too old for this one:

Harry

Goldenshield

Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 79):
Do you want me to send my dictionary to you? It seems you are getting too old for this one:

I do not want to read it in a box,
I do not want to read it with a fox.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BA787

Sun Jun 18, 2006 4:16 pm

A.net Has Been Invaded By Children And Others

I have a feeling that my first few responses and thread openers have contributed to this thread being opened.

I would like to apologise to any of you that were offended or were frustrated at my inquisitive mind. I am going to try to be more careful and be less childish. I have learnt my lesson: being banned from a new interest before you have even got into it taught me that this sight is for mature and responsible people and if I want to be a part of that, I have to be equally as grown up

I would also like to apologise to my peers in the 13-15yrold age grroup. In no small part i contributed to you being branded with the same paint and I am sorry for this.

All I am is an aviation enthusiast who is interested in certain aspects of aviation but not others. I would like to point out that the date in question was my third day on A.net and I was a beginner wanting to find out more about airlines that I like. I have to be honest and say that i never noticed the archived section as I was so eager to get posting after reading the forum for weeks.

I would like to apologise once again and if anyone has a problem with any of my future posts, can I ask that you send me an instant message so that i can try and overcome thes annoyances. Please can I have constructive criticism only.

Cheers BA787 aka Tom  sorry 

In response to this thread i would like to say that all age groups can act immature and childish when provoked. We kids are the future and I may be annoyiong but I know for a fact that Wrightbrothers has a vast aviation knowledge and has been very helpful to me yet he is in the age group that you are condemning. There are many more of these people in my age group. Most of us just want to find out more about the hobby we love and we want to get to know decent people that we can have a chat to about aviation. A.net was designed for this of course and I for one am going to use it properly from now on
 Big grin Tom

alaskaqantas

Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:58 pm

Hey-
I wrote earlier on this topic and I didn't think that the thread would still be this popular... but anyways BA787 it takes a man to know that he messed up, but it takes an even greater man to apologize... but not to worry we all mess up a bit in this world, no worries, as long as we learn and live on.
One test of a person’s strength is his knowledge of his weakness.
I think you went I little hard on your self BA787 Wink

Like I said earlier I am in this "brat" age group (as srbmod would put it) and I think it was childish of them to even start this thread, we aren't perfect, and neither are any of you! –now that’s a fact that you don’t need to do any searching for evidence, its all right in front of you.

Remember on this site:
The price of greatness is responsibility. - Sir Winston Churchill

Once again we are here to be enriched in all the aviation culture and facts, and where we know something of truth, well maybe we can help out!
I've seen great thread come through "your" site written by kids.
Thank you to those adults that treat us with respect. I am sorry, I’m sure as other kids are, for those few children that are trashing the site!
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

BA787

Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 82):

I agree completely but we have to swallow our pride lol

Tom

aislepathlight

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):

With few damned exceptions if you're learning it on Civ-Av from one of the teenie bopper CEOs, it's wrong . . .

I am just a little over the age group that is pissing everyone off (here). I had a couple of stupid posts when I started, but then I realised how stupid that civ-av was. Now I stay away from it like wild fire, and live mostly in military-av, site related, and non-av. But I do use civ-av on other sites, like fleetbuzz.com.
bleepbloop

Btriple7

Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 81):

Kudos BA787!
Like Alaskaquantas said, few people are able to realize their mistakes, but even fewer people are able to openly apologize about their mistakes.

Quoting AislepathLight (Reply 84):
but then I realised how stupid that civ-av was.

I wouldn't go as far as to say all of CivAv is stupid. Believe it or not, some threads in CivAv are actually interesting and educating ( Wow! oohhh...shocker, I know). The reason why CivAv is the way it is, is because many people have pride in their airline and their aircraft manufacture, and CivAv is where the discussions about these airlines and aircraft manufacturers take place. I say all the more power to those people. It is the diverse views in CivAv that make for excellent threads. Granted many excellent threads end up flamefests, but in the threads where that doesn't happen their are many well thought-out responses, thought-provoking posts, and good constructive critisism. Those are the threads that make CivAv worth it. If you can get past the AvB and flamefest threads, then I think you can find that CivAv does have some value, not much value but value none-the-less.

Anyway, this is not related to the topic at hand. As far as the problem with children in the 13-15 age braket (to which I am apart), well all I can say I'm sorry. I'm sorry their are some my age who don't respond in a mature mannor. Is it annoying? Sure it is! The number of mature 13-15 year-olds far outnumbers the immature ones. Don't penalize us for others' misconduct. Better yet, give the immature ones a second chance. I was one of those immature "brats" when I first joined the site too, but oh boy did I learn fast. So please, if you have a problem with someone's post, just move to the next one or suggest deletion. It is as simple as that. No biggy, right?

I think Johan sums it up very well. If you ever look above the "Post Message!" button on the "Confirm Post" page, you will see the following written.
"This forum is as good as you make it. Never post a message in anger. Take the high road and others will follow."
Whoever wrote that (presumable Johan), you are 100% correct.

Best Regards,
Btriple7

EDIT:

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 76):
Young whippersnappers asking questions that may be perceived as dumb or annoying is nothing compared to grown adults who are unable to utilize proper...even passable spelling and grammar.

Examples:

• The misuse of "their", "they're", and "there"

• The misuse of "brakes" and "breaks"

• The big one...adding an apostrophe to each and every word ending in "s".

The second I see someone refer to the "break's" of an aircraft, I move on to the next post.

In my opinion, it is far more enjoyable to communicate with an articulate, disciplined, well-reasoned youngster trying to learn a thing or two than with an illiterate "expert" trying to teach a thing or two.

Made an edit just to agree with you on this one, 2H4. Even though it is just an internet forum; it would be nice if people could understand you.

[Edited 2006-06-19 05:20:40]
Just...fly.

HPLASOps

Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:40 pm

I don't have a problem with people of any age posting on the forums. I hardly look at anyone's profiles just to see what age they are. I've found this site to be a fascinating collection of people with varying degrees of interest in aviation. There are those who are novices that just like watching planes fly all the way up to senior pilots and air traffic controllers who can tell you damn near everything you want to know about what goes on in the sky. The beauty in the website is that such a variance exists and there is a place for all of us.

As for the youngins bringing down the quality of posts, well, I use my own noggin to filter out who's bringing the goods and who's posting just for the sake of doing so. I know enough about the biz to know who knows what they're talking about and who doesn't. Though I don't always agree on particular viewpoints, I can always tell who brings deep and pure knowledge about airliners and who I can respect as a result of it.

I know we all strive to keep this a classy place, and for the most part, it is, one of the few websites I can feel proud about looking at every day.

Cheers everyone.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

BA787

Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:03 am

I did make a mistake and feel that you people were owed an apology

Quoting BA787 (Reply 81):

SDtill stand by my apology and feel all the better for it. Hope the threadstarter has read it as he is the one who it was mainly directed at, as i fear I upset him the most

Tom

JetBlueAUS

Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:10 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 76):

I agree. Recently, I've noticed that the words 'are' and 'is' are being used incorrectly. I am not picking on anyone though, I make a fair amount of mistakes too.  Wink
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

mariner

Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:27 am

For myself, I find the enthusiasm of some of the younger, newer members preferable to the cynicism of some of the older members.

mariner
aeternum nauta

ltbewr

Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:46 am

I have seen some 13-17 year olds in here, some jerks but mostly those who enjoy or enjoy learning about flying, airlines, aircraft and some of the non-airline topics. Sometimes they may ask more intellegent questions than many 'adult' members (I am 51 and have asked a few dumb Q's too). We do need a cross section of people here to post and look at the site and to encourage especially teens into something to consider as a hobby or a career.
Also don't forget that to get posting access to this board one has to purchase a membership, which takes a credit card and if young, then from a parent. We hope they would look at the site to make sure they don't mind their minor child here before purchasing a membership. Of course, anybody can look at this site at any time. There are many boards that have to limit the age of access to 18 and over to keep out kids being looked for by perverts or getting into discussion that are inappropiate with minors.
One concern I would note is that particulary the non-av section of our board does get posts with adult language as well sexual and other adult issues that may be inappropiate for a minor to be involved in.

skywatch

Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:51 pm

I am turning 16 next month, and I have been very well recieved on this forum. My first post turned (and thread) turned into an 80+ reply front page 10,000 views discussion, without any flameouts! I felt very welcomed and I always have on here. Just a few years ago I couldn't even tell the difference between Airbus and Boeing, but through photos, questions, and much reading, I am just another 'ol aviation nerd. I just wanted to say thanks for answering my questions when one came up! And as far as my opinion goes on this subject.....yeah some of the repetitive posting gets annoying, but you have to learn somtime. Sure there's a search forums feature, but many people like having their own questions answered, especially if they are new. In other words, if you don't want to read it, don't click it. I haven't clicked on an A380 thread in a while! Typing one of those "Do we have to discuss this again?" messages is a waste of approximately 3-4 calories that could be used to perform some other more meaningful task!  Smile

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

NIKV69

Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 89):
For myself, I find the enthusiasm of some of the younger, newer members preferable to the cynicism of some of the older members.

Well said. It is refreshing as opposed to the same people who start threads asking why the site is down for an hour and how they are paying all this money to belong here.  vomit 
I am the Googlizer!!!

alaska737

Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 45):
Before I can get a valid response, I have to dig though 40% of bs posts from people knocking my age or that I'm making something up in relation to the experience I had.

Yes I have had the same problem. I am 17 and i fell like most people dont even listen to what I have to say. I feel like I am knowledgeable about aviation for my age, some areas more than others of course. Since I was three I have been interested in flight and I have perused it ever since. at the age of 8 i had "Janes Guide to Commercial Aircraft" memorized. Trust me if I could I would study aviation all day and be a 737 pilot tomorrow. Unfortunately they’re other things I need to accomplish before I can do this. So for the time being I will continue to post and discuss on A-Net, I fully realize that some will listen but most will continue to think that a teenager cant possibly know anything about aviation, so for my future posts; I am sorry i dont know the length of the Runway at LCY, or the code for Osaka. i dont know the Max Alt. for the ERJ-190 or the thrust on a CFM56, finally i am sorry for all my past and future spelling errors and frequent use of the word tomfoolery. as i like to say Perfection comes from expirence...unfourtinatly exprience comes from mistakes.

Thank You, to those of you that realize that people like me will be flying you in a few years.

Bill

BA787

Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:08 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 93):

Well said. I am in almost the same position but I know even less>

Tom

Tom12

Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:17 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 89):

As much as i am one of the younger members i also enjoy reading more on the topics posted by us teenagers. Most of my topics suck but a few posted awhile back by BA787 (Tom), i found were very interesting. Many people complained that they had been discussed but personally i had never encountered such threads. Also when there is a thread that has been discussed before i usually would like my say on the topic, problem is we can't restart old threads, i think posting the same thread about 5-6 months later is actually a good idea as you get new opinions and some of the older members opinions may have changed by then.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

BA787

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 95):

Here Here

Cheers bud, Tom

SA006

Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:15 pm

Quite ironic that your complaint is eventually what is killing this site and the "family" atmosphere it seems to have...

Well , I get to turn my age group to from 13-15 to 16-20 in a few months from now. I feel I've contributed to this site in the 2 and half years I've been a member of this site , especially on the photography side with my 400+ photos on a.net and the advice and help with editing I have given to some photographers like myself. I'm especially proud of this since I bought my Canon 300D using my own hard earned money. I , for one , learn something new everyday from this site , whether it be aviation related or photography related , and alot of the knowledge comes from the younger side of airliners.net

Anyways , enough of my rambling. Bottom line , you don't like it , don't stay.

-SA006  wave 
Proudly South African

i530j

Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:48 am

I myself am in the 13-15 age group and I disagree with the thread starter. Some of these "children" are actually very smart people who know a lot about the airline industry and I myself is learning new things everyday. Just my two cents

Cheers,
JK
"I love you, I love the kids..." then the phone went dead.

7LBAC111

Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:49 am

Quoting I530j (Reply 98):
Some of these "children" are actually very smart people who know a lot about the airline industry

Okay - perhaps. But can I ask how you can know this. I have worked in our industry for 13 years, and I still know only a fraction of the wealth of information offered by some of the industry's finest people on these boards.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.