Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA787
Topic Author

Welcoming New Members: We Are Bad At It

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:07 am

I have noticed recently that some of the slightly more experienced A.netters among us have become very intolerant of any newcomers to the site. These guys are new people, lay off them a bit please!

Tom  cool 

MigFan

RE: Welcoming New Members: We Are Bad At It

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:15 am

Here here!!!

The A.net forums are little more than another internet clique. On the other hand the site is great. Awesome photos, good news, and a very comprehensive aircraft DB.

Thanks Airliners.net
UH-60's suck!!!

jorge1812

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:30 am

Depends on the user. I myself read over one year here before joining the site. Others just find the forum - join with dads credit card - ignore the rules - post the same useless threads again and again.

If you follow the rules I you're welcome if not no tragedy if you run into "trouble"

Georg

BA787
Topic Author

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:11 am

I'm talking more about new A.netters that maybe say something like "BA A340s are great" and get blasted rather than told civilly that they are wrong

Tom

srbmod

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 3):
BA787 From United Kingdom, joined Jun 2006, 399 posts,

jorge1812

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:22 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 3):

IIRC BA don't have A-340, they only fly the A-330  Wink...just kidding.

If you take that as an example it's hard to believe for me how one person spends 5 USD/month or 25 USD to post here without having a clue about such "easy" things. Yes, we could tell them the truth and advise them to learn more about aviation and come back here but when reading this sometime emotions come high and they were told in a not so civilized way to learn more about avaiation and to come back.....that's todays world.

But you're right and I will think about that before replying the next time to a only trash-bin worth post Big grin

Georg

MigFan

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:28 am

I was not under any impression that one had to have a certain degree of avaiation expertise. What if all a person has is interest?

Forums are for discussion, not just agreeing with a few opinions from the "towered" users. I have noticed a few times that if you do not agree with the moderators, you are wrong...

/M
UH-60's suck!!!

Elite

Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:29 am

Hm, I joined 2 days ago and I have found some warm welcomes in the live chat. Maybe if we had a 'Introductions' forums it would be easier?

LTU932

Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
Maybe if we had a 'Introductions' forums it would be easier?

Well, that's what we have non-av for.  Wink
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

ANCFlyer

Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
Hm, I joined 2 days ago and I have found some warm welcomes in the live chat. Maybe if we had a 'Introductions' forums it would be easier?

Welcome aboard A-Net . . . hope you enjoy the ride.

Now, I dare you to post an Introduction in Non-Av . . .  duck  scared 
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

ghostbase

Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:31 pm

One thing that I find very embarrassing is that every now and then a person joins the forums and, for their first post, thanks the moderators and A.Net staff for their efforts. And sooner than later up pops one of the resident clowns and accuses them of 'brown nosing'! What a warm welcome to a newcomer  Confused

ghost 
"I chase my dreams but I never seem to arrive"

ua777222

Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Matt

Oh and I've said it in past topics in various different forums;

Members here will turn a fart into a cultural event.

Just let it slide

[Edited 2006-07-01 10:59:33]
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

alaskaqantas

Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:14 pm

hello-

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
Quoting BA787 (Reply 3):

hello SRBMOD, I can remember you smashing kids on another post calling us uhmmmmm "BRATS"
Sorry I normally don't like to get at people, but its a bit frustrating really. Sorry I don't want to be the one who makes this a BAD forum so:

I have learned a great deal from this site and had a WARM welcome after my first post... thanks to: Classiclover, HikesWithEyes, CO7e7, ANCFlyer... thank you!
Yes I would agree that some people arn't getting the WARMEST welcome, but theres always room for improvement.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

Tom12

Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:05 pm

We should maybe look at it from the view of both parties. Some of the people on this site have been members for around 5 years (I think) and when newbies come in nd start saying things like 'Quantas' they must get a little bored correcting everyone who says it. On the other hand the newbie deserves to be told in a reasonable manner that it is Qantas lol. Its in a balance but i agree with what someone said earlier, we should browse the forums for awhile before we go mad with posts.

Personally, my first post was 'Whats better, boeing or Airbus?' and oh how i go grilled for it lol but afterwards i chilled, browsed the forums for awhile and now i 'try' and post reasonable things that i am genuinely interested in and that i think others might want to know.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

srbmod

Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting Alaskaqantas (Reply 12):
hello SRBMOD, I can remember you smashing kids on another post calling us uhmmmmm "BRATS"
Sorry I normally don't like to get at people, but its a bit frustrating really. Sorry I don't want to be the one who makes this a BAD forum so:

I didn't directly refer to anyone as being a brat. What I said in that thread is that with school being out for the summer, forums all over the internet see an increase in folks on them, and some of these kids will join sites with the sole purpose of starting fires in forums. This is happening on quite a few forums, not just here. It happens every summer and dies down when school starts back.

Evidiently, some folks don't know how to spot sarcasm.

Quoting BA787 (Reply 3):

Someone who is new trying to tell folks to "lay off the new members" is just looking to become a target of sorts. The best way to avoid this is to not be too obvious for the first few weeks you join. Post in threads (but not too many), start a thread or two (after doing a search of course to avoid being flamed and ridiculed), and in general try to blend in. It's the new members who make themselves blatantly obvious by having 50+ posts in a day by posting in just about every thread, start a bunch of threads in a forum, and in general do things that are indictative of a new member.

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting BA787 (Thread starter):
I have noticed recently that some of the slightly more experienced A.netters among us have become very intolerant of any newcomers to the site. These guys are new people, lay off them a bit please!

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 14):
Quoting BA787 (Reply 3):

Someone who is new trying to tell folks to "lay off the new members" is just looking to become a target of sorts.

Ditto. How someone who joined around a month ago can come to such a conclusion is beyond me. There are less and less people with any knowledge posting on here. And it's quite sad.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

BA787
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 15):
Ditto. How someone who joined around a month ago can come to such a conclusion is beyond me. There are less and less people with any knowledge posting on here. And it's quite sad.

I may have joined a month ago but i feel I have made some worthwhile contributions and I have just as much right as any of you. Some of you were miserable with me as well and now I am standing up for the newer members than myself who have to be greeted with sarcastic and unhelpful comments from the likes of you and srbmod

Tom

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:37 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 16):
I may have joined a month ago but i feel I have made some worthwhile contributions and I have just as much right as any of you.

I don't doubt there have been some valuable contributions, but come on - 421 posts in less than a month???

Some of you were miserable with me as well and now I am standing up for the newer members

How moral of you.  sarcastic 

7L

ua777222

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:42 am

Some of you were miserable with me as well and now I am standing up for the newer members than myself who have to be greeted with sarcastic and unhelpful comments from the likes of you and srbmod

BA787
Topic Author

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 14):
This is happening on quite a few forums, not just here. It happens every summer and dies down when school starts back

Not likely bud, I'm here to stay

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 17):
don't doubt there have been some valuable contributions, but come on - 421 posts in less than a month???

And you're point, other than pointing out that I'm enthusiastic and am enjoying and learning at A.net.

I'm not trying to start another fight about teenagers, any of you that are unsure and had bad experiences with me at the start of my membership should read the A.net has been invaded by children and others forum reply 81 (in that area)

I juts wish people could be more wecoming to us newbies. We just want to learn about a hobbie we enjoy, not get told that we're "stupid brats". Its a pity really because I have made my peace with certain offended users yet there are still a few who won't forget.

Just be nice to the new users, thats all I ask

Tom  Big grin

And yes I am a moral person  bigthumbsup 

gordonsmall

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:10 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 18):

checkmark 
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

alaskaqantas

Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:25 am

srbmod, don't worry I know what sarcasim is. sure there are a few people that will sign up over the summer and mess around, but with this site having you buy a membership, I haven't seen to much of it. I can understand what you're getting at. but not every kid is stupid.

-quote- And being the bored little brats they are-quote-

okay well what I'm going to say is that we are all here for one purpose, to be enriched in aviation. Even though we are of different beliefs and hail from different countries, we all are here to learn about aviation.
~Cheers-
~~Kyle H.
to some people the sky is the limit, to aviation enthusiasts, its home!

HB-IWC

Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:13 pm

Quoting BA787 (Reply 19):

don't doubt there have been some valuable contributions, but come on - 421 posts in less than a month???

And you're point, other than pointing out that I'm enthusiastic and am enjoying and learning at A.net.

The point 7LBAC111 is trying to make quite rightly is that more in not necessarily better. In other words, the quality of contributions is not measured by the sheer number of them. There are plenty of widely respected people, who have been here for years, with a number of contributions just about equal to the number you racked up in a matter of weeks. One can perfectly be enthusiastic and eager to learn without diluting the overall quality of the forum even further with a plethora of posts of what I would lightly call questionable additional value.

Some people here are literally spending days drafting and redrafting truly astonishing trip reports, garnished with the most amazing pictures and videos. Equally so, a good number of airline professionals and highly informed enthusiasts are lurking here, without feeling the urgent need to contribute to each and every topic, but shining their authoritative light on those topics in their direct professional interest sphere.

I am not normally engaging into discussions over here at Site Related, and I wouldn't have this time either, if it weren't for the fact that I clearly remember one particularly boring Sunday afternoon at the office 4 weeks ago today, when the General Aviation Forum was being deluged - we are talking 112 posts in the spate of just over a day, it was so eye-catching that I actually looked it up - by contributions from the OP, at that time a 2-day member.

Again, I tend to disregard such transient phenomena which are often no more than prolific outbursts of newcomer frenzy, but the sheer plethora of posts made that quite impossible and were frankly serving no other purpose than further deteriorating the already sorry state of the General Aviation Forum. No wonder then the OP has encountered some trouble in his quest for the warm embrace of the airliners.net community. I, for one, am not jumping up and down from joy observing the overall forum quality even further threatened by yet another limelight-obsessed teenager, who has now ironically disguised himself as the courageous loner seeking the moral high ground in his demand for newbie reverence.

Keep a low profile, contribute only when you believe you have something truly valuable to add and the goodwill and respect you are apparently craving for will come by itself. We are not bad at welcoming new members. Some new members are bad at applying a healthy dose of self-effacement.

HUYguy

Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm quite new to this forum, and I have felt nothing but welcome since I joined (which, despite my header at the top of my post, isn't Apr 2006, as I didn't pay the fee until june). I read these forums for a few months before I joined, so I'd like to think that I have a little background knowledge and have been an aviation fan for well over 2 years. I only post in areas where I have knowledge of the subject of the thread, or to ask questions that can't be answered using the search function. If you obey all the rules and don't post anything stupid or pointless, I'm sure that a.netters will be nice and welcoming.

ua777222

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:03 pm

IMO it's not about knowing anything. Some of the most knowledgeable members here get bitched out on this site by fellow members every day. I think if you have the balls to say something and stick with it or at least roll with the topic and take the bs other members post at you, you're fine. It's the whole "what, but I'm new" junk that gets old. I think we all get the chance to make fun of each other, you just have to be awake at the switch. I always love insults or dumb remarks 20-30 posts after the quoted topic (which was already quoted 10 times prior)

And plus, it's always nice to make fun of the 'new guy.'

Matt

(Ok, last one I promise, I'm done whoring this topic)

7LBAC111

Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:17 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 22):
The point 7LBAC111 is trying to make quite rightly is that more in not necessarily better. In other words, the quality of contributions is not measured by the sheer number of them

Exactly my point. (Sorry went to bed!) Big grin

jetflyer

Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:46 am

Who saw that Easyjet DC-8 in JFK yesterday??

ua777222

Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting Jetflyer (Reply 26):
Who saw that Easyjet DC-8 in JFK yesterday??

Not me... but did you happen to catch the United 757 with Winglets?

usnseallt82

Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:13 am

Welcoming New Members: We Are Bad At It

People really need to get a backbone. This is an INTERNET FORUM...not the etiquette ball.
Crye me a river

Newark777

Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 27):

Not me... but did you happen to catch the United 757 with Winglets?

I've heard it comes with those special DL overhead bins.  Wink

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

fxramper

Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:32 pm

Hello all Noobs,

enjoy the site, it's great.  bouncy 

signed.

fxramper.

Braybuddy

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:43 pm

The point the thread starter made was a very valid one: there is a huge difference in age between the youngest and oldest memebers of this site, and if you don't know the answer to something you need to ask questions, no matter how stupid they may seem to people with more experience.

Having said that, it is not just the older members who indulge in abusive behaviour towards newer ones.

I'm often amazed how worked-up people get about posts. There's a life outside airliners.net you know.

vaporlock

Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 31):
The point the thread starter made was a very valid one: there is a huge difference in age between the youngest and oldest memebers of this site, and if you don't know the answer to something you need to ask questions, no matter how stupid they may seem to people with more experience.

Having said that, it is not just the older members who indulge in abusive behaviour towards newer ones.

I'm often amazed how worked-up people get about posts. There's a life outside airliners.net you know.

Braybuddy, well said!!!

a.net is like life....you have to take things in perspective and let it slide off your back......most of us are here because we are interesting in aviation for one reason or another. Doesn't matter how old or young you are everyone is welcome. As far as getting a response that doesn't seem appropriate...it's much easier to let it go rather than getting your back up and adding "fuel to the fire"...just like in life outside of a.net.

Phyllis  bouncy 

planesarecool

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:51 am

What do you want us to do? Throw a party? Hire an orchestra? Bow down and kiss their feet?

Tom12

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:32 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 33):
What do you want us to do? Throw a party? Hire an orchestra? Bow down and kiss their feet?

I think that would be too far, but i do have a suggestion! Instead of just insulting new members why don't you tell us all what we done wrong and we could maybe avoid it happening again.

Tom

planesarecool

Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:57 am

Quoting Tom12 (Reply 34):
Instead of just insulting new members why don't you tell us all what we done wrong and we could maybe avoid it happening again.

When have i ever insulted a new member?

Tom12

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 35):
When have i ever insulted a new member?

Sorry, meant in general some of the older members insult newer members because of the lack of knowledge. I just think that instead of jumping down our throats we could maybe talk to problem out.

Someone could maybe draw up a set of Freq asked Questions or something that goes through the sill things noobs do that way people wont have to keep saying the same stuff over and over as more people join.

Again, appologies, didn't aim what i said at you.

Tom

yvrtoyyz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:22 am

One would think that those who are joining have spent months/years viewing the forums before deciding to join.

As a result, those members would think that any new members would already have an idea about how the place works, the various forums, where to post/find information, what topics are hashed and re-hashed, etc.

Because of this expectation, one cannot be surprised when new members get flamed for posting irrelevent information; posts in the wrong forum; or posts just for the sake of posting and not contributing.

The excitement of joining a.net wares off and that tends to be seen in a decline in posts.

For myself, I find I read a lot more and gather information that way, rather than posting just for the sake of posting.

-YVRtoYYZ

ZKSUJ

Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:47 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 8):
Quoting Elite (Reply 7):
Maybe if we had a 'Introductions' forums it would be easier?

Well, that's what we have non-av for.

Yeap and introduction threads in non av are usually followed by the 'give a f*ck meter' or 'raise a hand if you care' Big grin

ORFflyer

Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:38 am

Some of you were miserable with me as well and now I am standing up for the newer members than myself who have to be greeted with sarcastic and unhelpful comments from the likes of you and srbmod

What a cry-baby. Shouldn't you be popping zits instead of popping off your mouth. Sheesh!!  Yeah sure

421 posts in less than a month???

I see, no time to pop zits....  Wink

Quoting BA787 (Reply 19):

Stay enthusuastic, keep learning, and enjoy the forums. But don't get so worked up over a little criticizm and bashing. If everyone who every got critized left the forums, there wouldn't be anybody left..... newbies, or us  old 

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 24):
And plus, it's always nice to make fun of the 'new guy

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Usnseallt82 (Reply 28):
This is an INTERNET FORUM...not the etiquette ball.

checkmark   checkmark 

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 33):

Send the Welcome Wagon  Big grin

Quoting YVRtoYYZ (Reply 37):
One would think that those who are joining have spent months/years viewing the forums before deciding to join.
As a result, those members would think that any new members would already have an idea about how the place works, the various forums, where to post/find information, what topics are hashed and re-hashed, etc.

checkmark   checkmark 

lhrmaccoll

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:32 am

One thing that hacks me off is the way some treat sarcasm as gospel, and will shoot off the rails if someone mutters anything even slightly resembling sarcasm.
Alex

BA787
Topic Author

Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Quoting Lhrmaccoll (Reply 40):
One thing that hacks me off is the way some treat sarcasm as gospel, and will shoot off the rails if someone mutters anything even slightly resembling sarcasm.
Alex

Sarcasm is not clear when written down on p[aper thoughis it. It is a problem which no-one can solve, other than by not using it but thasts just not possible

Tom

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 39):
enthusuastic, keep learning, and enjoy the forums. But don't get so worked up over a little criticizm and bashing. If everyone who every got critized left the forums, there wouldn't be anybody left..... newbies, or us

Don't get me wrong mate, I ain't leaving, I'm just suggesting that people who are more experienced make a littlwe more effort. Taking the piss is fine but some of the stuff I've seen is just plain nasty

Tom