Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BNG777
Topic Author

Forum Language Hard To Understand

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:48 pm

HI all, I know that most of us here in the forum are pretty good with their general aviation knowledge but I seem to not understand most of the words or codes that are being used. For example: when i joined the forum and started reading the threads, i had no idea what ILFC is. Is it a plane, an airline or an organisation? And than there's the airport codes which i have no idea about. I know the obvious ones like LAX, SYD, SIN, LHR etc... but some are so hard i just have a google search window open while im reading the threads. And than there are some threads in which some of the responses are so bewildering (yet so professional and true) that it makes me wonder that the person who post it should be working as a chief engineer for Boeing or Airbus. Than there are some who should be working on the finance department of an airline because they know which route is doing well and what type of aircraft is best suited for that particular route.
Let me give you an example: As i was reading the topic on tonight's thread, there are topics that any person would understand such as "Upgrade gone wrong on EK" and than there's some that I dont understand at all such as "EZY LTN to BCN". This is when i lose interest in the topic and avoid reading it. It would have been better if the person who post it just wrote the codes in full. But i understand that this place is full of professionals therefore most of you know all the airport and airline codes by heart. But the intention of my posting is to ask any of you as to what chance have i got (as a new aviation enthusiast) in understanding and learning more about general aviation? I would have preferred if for example you are writing the code for an airline and airport and beside it just put which one it is. Example; EK (Emirates) DXB (Dubai). This way my time here on the forum would be more enjoyable and at the same time i get to learn "aviation codes and lingo".
Finally, i just think that in order for younger generations to be exposed to the wonderful world of aviation which is a hobby and interest to almost all of you, its your responsibility (and mine) to teach the new ones what each word or code means. By the way, thanks to Google i know what ILFC is: Its called International Leasing Finance Co-orperation and they lease planes to airlines all over the globe. New members take note  Smile

RichardPrice

RE: Forum Language Hard To Understand

Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:51 pm

Let me introduce you to a friend I call 'a paragraph'. Very useful for people reading large amounts of text.

The forum automatically adds an acronym to all airport codes, so if you hover over the code it should, in most browsers, give you a tooltip with the airport name and location.

It also does it for airline codes as well.

VirginFlyer

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:08 pm

As Richard said, the IATA codes (2 letter airline and 3 letter airport) have a mouse-over enables - if you hold your cursor over them, it will come up with what it means:

TN SYD

A very useful site you might want to bookmark for any codes which aren't included here is: http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/ . It has pretty much any code your could ever want.

I hope this is useful,

V/F

Magyarorszag

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi BNG777,

I understand very well what you mean by your request, but, I don't think we can be responsible to teach every new one to this "wonderful world of aviation" everything. I see it as we can help you, but you have to do your part of the job. What I mean there is that I started my passion for aviation when I was 16. At that time, there was no internet. I had do go ahead on my own, I knew nobody who could help me. So I started to look for magazins, printed timetables (to retrieved infos about airlines and airports codes) and so on. And, not the least, I had to learn english because most of the magazines and books I reed and bought then were in that language. But when it is for a passion...  Smile

Today, we have this fantastic tool that is called the web or internet. As soon as I could, I've started browsing it to find more. As RichardPrice wrote, there's most of the time an acronym to the code if the code written is correct. But then, if you browse through A.net photos, you can read the location of each pictures with the full name, IATA code and ICAO code. With time and habit of going through these pictures and forum discussions, you'll remember many things.

I am not a professionnal in aviation but just a great "mad" of it. Once, in a work place, I have had the occasion to discuss it with a collegue. He was interested by aviation, but a little less than me. Each time we went for a break together, the other colleagues were starring at us as if we were good to go to some kind of psychatric institution because we had discussion like:

-I read that EK will start to fly to DUB with a 332 from (any date).
-Or I saw that CO will start service to GVA from EWR with a 762ER; and so on.

I can tell you it was a good exercise to keep my memory in good shape! And it was much fun to be so mysterious to the others! Big grin

All this to say my advice, if I can tell you one; try to be as independant as you can with your knowledge. Seize any occasion to ad something to your own brain database. You'll be even more satisfied to know that you always try to be up to date and abble to share you knowledge.
Hope you'll not find rude, arrogant or anything like this. I've just learned to rely upon my self essentially.

Now, here are some links:

Airlines & Airports codes
Great Circle Mapper
Airfleets

Cheers, and enjoy this fantastic world of aviation!

KaiGywer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:27 am

Quoting RichardPrice (Reply 1):
adds an acronym to all airport codes

Most of them anyways  Wink I'm flying to ALF next month, and it's not that brown dude with a big nose, but rather Alta, Norway Big grin

bhmbaglock

Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 2):
As Richard said, the IATA codes (2 letter airline and 3 letter airport) have a mouse-over enables - if you hold your cursor over them, it will come up with what it means:

Unfortunately the codes are not active for the topic lines in the summary page for each individual forum. The new preview feature can clear this up though in most cases by letting you view the thread starter(with mouse overs) prior to opening the thread.

I also like using a tabbed browser so I can open multiple threads at once then go back after they've loaded to see if they're interesting.

GEG

Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:14 pm

I remember being confused at first also, however after spending considerable time reading threads and seeing the same airports and airlines over and over they just start to stick in you head. I understand that a person new to reading these forums can be a little frustrated by not knowing the codes automatically when they see them, but it will become easier and easier.

Quoting BNG777 (Thread starter):
I know the obvious ones like LAX, SYD, SIN, LHR etc...

You probably know these just due to the frequency of seeing them. After a short time you will start to pick up on more and more. And the list of aiport codes you can name off will be more than enough to garner some odd looks from family and friends Big grin

-GEG

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Jargon exists in all professions. It is a barrier to effective communication with people outside the profssions in question.

Some people use it excessively - in an effort to impress others. It generally has the opposite effect.

centrair

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:15 pm

To me its not the codes but the shorthand English. I am an American but never been one for shorthand. I see this term "IIRC" But I don't get it.

I always thought it would be cool if there was an A.net glossary that can be edited and added to by members.

viv

Thu Jul 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 8):
I see this term "IIRC" But I don't get it.

In internet-speak, IIRC = "If I recollect correctly".

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion"

AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

OMKMT = "Others May Know More Though".

KaiGywer

Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:47 pm

Quoting Viv (Reply 9):
In internet-speak, IIRC = "If I recollect correctly".

IMHO = In My Humble Opinion"

AFAIK = "As Far As I Know"

OMKMT = "Others May Know More Though".

Another one I've seen used around here is FWIW = For what it's worth.

Tom12

Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:01 am

If you were really struggling to understand wording in a post just ask someone esspecially the person that posted it as they are bound to know lol.

Thanks, Tom

jamesbuk

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:42 am

another ive seen LOLZ - that means gulfstreamgirl has just posted a useless post  Silly

Most of them are easy to understand, its all just common sense really.

Rgds --James-- (rgds stands for regards)

AeroWesty

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:49 am

I always thought it would be cool if there was an A.net glossary that can be edited and added to by members.

I agree with this. It could even be an additional item in the FORUM drop-down menu at the top of the page.

Frequently used acronyms in the industry can't change that often, and the list most likely easy to maintain once set up.

Tom12

Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:57 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 13):
Frequently used acronyms in the industry can't change that often, and the list most likely easy to maintain once set up.

I don't think setting it up would be too much of a problem either, if there were a few people to take any incoming acronyms from a.netters and then put them into a list of some form ... then the rest could be left down to the people on the site to maintain it.

Only a suggestion  Wink

Thanks, Tom

N600RR

Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:46 am

To me its not the codes but the shorthand English.

This site should help: www.netlingo.com

ltbewr

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:05 am

Many people use acronims, codes for airports and airlines and so on to save space in the forums, use fewer keystrokes, yet to get the point across. It did take a few months to learn some of them, but then I started using them too. Don't forget too that some on here have dial up services, so the use of acronims also uses less 'bandwidth'.

scbriml

Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:11 am

To me its not the codes but the shorthand English. I am an American but never been one for shorthand. I see this term "IIRC" But I don't get it.

WTF?  wink 

EWS

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:02 am

Each person is different in my own opinion, each individual has their own slang, that gets passed about between friends. So sometimes it's almost impossible to figure out what the slang they are saying actually means..

For example someone said to me today; "Can i borrow ye phone to call a yellow" ..

Didnt know what that means until i heard her asking for a taxi! Like i said, each to their own!  laughing 

Lew

HT

Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:11 am

"IIRC"

www.acronymfinder.com can serve as another source for common acronyms

Quoting BNG777 (Thread starter):
I would have preferred if for example you are writing the code for an airline and airport and beside it just put which one it is. Example; EK (Emirates) DXB (Dubai).

I see a need only for those cases where the mouse-over function is not working for 3-digit airport(IATA)- and airline-codes or even 4-digit airport (IACO)-codes (unless they are obvious like for most commercial airports in the US).
But, for example, almost nobody would be able to identify the airfield ETNW that I´m living close to as GAF (= German Air Force) Wunstorf ...
-HT

arluna

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:20 pm

Hi all,

Putting the cursor on an acronym only gives me an arrow with a question mark. Is there some sort of setup that I need to do to get it to give me the information?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Arluna

[Edited 2006-07-24 05:21:03]

VirginFlyer

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:32 pm

Arluna - it sounds like you're getting the right thing, but you have to hover over the code for a couple of seconds before the little box comes up - are you doing this, or just waving the cursor over it quickly?

V/F

arluna

Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:48 pm

Quoting VirginFlyer (Reply 21):
hover over the code for a couple of seconds before the little box comes up - are you doing this, or just waving the cursor over it quickly?

I've held it there and I've clicked on it and still nothing happens. However, I am using I/E. When I use Netscape it works. Strange?

Thanks,

Arluna

kiwiinoz

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:24 pm

There's a couple of other acronyms that pop up a lot, see below:

In Civil Av:

ORABS: Overbearing, Rude, Arrogant, Boeing Scum
SEAT: Snobby, Europeon, Airbus Tossers
AAE: Adolescent Airline Executive
RtNWADC9?: Common retirement question asked so regularly that it now has it's own acronym

In Non Av:

MGASAMLIFA: My girlfriend's a slapper and my life is falling apart
MMMUAILTSPGMA: Mods made me upset and I'm leaving the site please give me attention
LSHPUWABCOFTACIIASTWKNA: Let's show how politically unaware we are by changing our flags to a country involved in a situation that we know nothing about.

Evan767

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 12):
LOLZ

Laughing Out Loud.... .....Zebras??????? Guys, acronyms aren't words..... (Loallss???)

I too have much trouble understanding many acronyms on A.net. Why can't some people just spell some stuff out instead of being so lazy? Things like LOL I can understand but acronyms like OMKMT and FWIW just confuse me and make me feel as though I am not understanding the meaning of the post. Not all of us are internet whizzes....

Here is a good acronym that I just found on one of the websites posted above. AAAAA. It stands for "American Association Against Acronym Abuse". Now that's what I call an acronym.

piercey

Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:11 am

Quoting KiwiinOz (Reply 23):
There's a couple of other acronyms that pop up a lot, see below:

In Civil Av:

ORABS: Overbearing, Rude, Arrogant, Boeing Scum
SEAT: Snobby, Europeon, Airbus Tossers
AAE: Adolescent Airline Executive
RtNWADC9?: Common retirement question asked so regularly that it now has it's own acronym

In Non Av:

MGASAMLIFA: My girlfriend's a slapper and my life is falling apart
MMMUAILTSPGMA: Mods made me upset and I'm leaving the site please give me attention
LSHPUWABCOFTACIIASTWKNA: Let's show how politically unaware we are by changing our flags to a country involved in a situation that we know nothing about.

rotfl 

but, you forgot one...

TACBB - Thief against Canada Bombardier [email protected]@rds  duck