Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EssentialPowr
Topic Author

EssentialPowr Leaves/Stays

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:41 pm

Let's put this to a vote, and let it run for 24 hours from the day/time of this posting...a simple yes or no vote by anyone interested...

2H4

RE: EssentialPowr Leaves/Stays

Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:45 pm

Yes, please stay! Just be cool.  Smile

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

KAUSpilot

Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:29 pm

Stay...as long as you admit the inherent superiority of UT football to OU football.

speedracer1407

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:01 pm

I've been away from the forums for a few days, and after catching up, I see why you're taking this poll. I vote no if you insist on turning threads into adversarial debates. For example, Citing Starlionblue's posts as indicative of this forum's "Chronic problems," as you have, is both counterproductivee to the informative mission of this forum (which you cite as the reason for your so-called no-nonsense posts) and simply out of line as, in this instance, Starlion has contributed immeasurably to this forum, even if he has occasionally missed or misrepresented a minor detail.

With that said, it's rather obvious that you have a wealth of knowledge that can, and has, contributed to this forum. Others do the same, and many, like Slamclick, Philsquares, Brk, CXflyboy, and FredT (just off the top of my head, there are many others) do so without a lecture on the quality of previous posts prefacing nearly every post.

I'm not an authority on aviation, but I read the forums every day, post questions, and appreciate the knowledge gained from informed people like yourself. Infact, much of the "knowledge" that I perceive to have gained since I've become an aviation enthusast has been the result of close scrutiny of this forum. Thus, the technical accuracy of this forum is important, but it's often in the discussion and resolution of various opinions/misinformations that laymen like me learn. This isn't an academic journal, it's a forum, and over time, even newbies, as I once was, learn to to trust the accuracy of posts that actually are accurate. You don't need to assign yourself the mission of "improving" this forum, especially by attacking otherwise helpful, regular posters. Your knowledge will do that by itself.

You wanted a yes/no answer. But surely you realise it's not that simple. And surely, you also realize that if I've typed all this, it matters to both me and others whether you go or stay. But I see no reason why you can't assume the same tact that other, equally (or more so) knowledgeable posters employ. They seem to manage, earn respect, and contribute unequivocally.

O
Dassault Mercure: the plane that has Boeing and Airbus shaking in their boots.

HAWK21M

Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:41 pm

Its your Decision.But if you needed an opinion I'd say Stay.

In these Forums,there would bound to be Differences of Opinions.The Idea is to Contribute,share & Educate each other as we all have the same Aim.

The Occasional post may contain harsh words,but the Idea is to Filter what you need to believe & what you need to Accept.

It does not matter who considers themselves what.Thats for the Individuals to decide.

But a question.....Why this thought of Leaving......

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

bri2k1

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:00 pm

Embraer Yoke (by FlyPrivate Jul 31 2006 in Tech Ops)

Follow your own advice in reply #45, suck it up, and stay.
Position and hold

David L

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Speedracer1407 (Reply 3):

Yeah... what Speedracer said.  Smile

Without naming names, there have been much worse examples of people lowering the quality of the Tech-Ops forum. If someone says something you consider to be "stupid" and it really annoys you, try responding with a hint of sarcasm (if you must) and a smiley - a way of saying "what a [expletive deleted]" while keeping it friendly.  Smile

IAHFLYR

Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:48 pm

Stay and support UT!
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Jetlagged

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:16 am

Look at it this way round: why leave? Leaving wouldn't achieve anything. You could always give A.net a break for a while, then return.

Staying would be better. The more knowledgeable people posting, the better the forum is going to get (or the less worse).  Smile

In the end it's up to you, not the forum.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.

meister808

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:36 am

Stick around, but notice that not everyone in Tech/Ops is there with a large volume of knowledge. The main reason many people come over to the T/O side of the fence is to do learning. That said, lots of people assume they know things, which can be a painful experience for someone more knowledgeable in the field. You just have to look at it as an opportunity to teach people about something they are ignorant of, rather than asserting correctness over what they are saying.

I know that everyone on the forum knows this, I know that everyone on the forum appreciates this. I also know that sometimes it's 3 in the morning and the dog down the street is keeping you awake and you just got done with a 14 day trip and it's hard to think straight much less reason with the high school student in Omaha or the accountant in Budapest who claims they know the secret to life.

Regardless, the educational content on this forum alone make it worth toughing it out and explaining things calmly one more time.

-Meister
Twin Cessna 812 Victor, Minneapolis Center, we observe your operation in the immediate vicinity of extreme precipitation

Mir

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 9):

Can't argue much with that.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:58 am

Quoting Jetlagged (Reply 8):
Look at it this way round: why leave? Leaving wouldn't achieve anything. You could always give A.net a break for a while, then return.

Indeed. Sometimes I take a break and come back with renewed energy.

As a pilot you sometimes have to correct people who have it wrong. And that's fine. But even us non-pilots sometimes find ourselves explaining things like: "No, the condensation forming on the wings while landing is not the pilot dumping fuel." Now, one could slam those people down, but in my opinion it's better to gently and perhaps humorously set them right. If they still won't listen, feel free to fire a broadside.

I'd rather you stay and correct the errors than leave. Just accept that this is an open forum.

[Edited 2006-08-06 20:00:58]

[Edited 2006-08-06 20:18:05]
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting Meister808 (Reply 9):

checkmark 
Very well said.

regds
MEL

n8076u

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:39 am

If you're going to leave because somebody else pissed you off in some way, then you have let them win. Don't let anyone pull you down to their level. So I agree, do yourself a favor and stay.

Chris
Don't blame me, I don't work here...

BoeingOnFinal

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:23 am

I think what this section is all about, is to learn from people who has a good knowlegde about aviation. And you are sertainly one of those people.
But threatning to leave the forum is just childish, that's what I did when I was 15 to try to get some sympathy.

Stay, but as said, don't leave because somebody can't stand being corrected. It's very hard to get the tone when reading. Some people, when having a bad day, read peoples posts like it has been written by an angry person, and that's their problem. If they can't think positiv without people using several smilys in every post, then they should get some sleep.

But that is one thing to think about when posting as well, try to get a good tone in your post, so people don't missunderstand  Smile
norwegianpilot.blogspot.com

Jamie757

Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:43 am

I'd say the choice is entirely up to you, but what you must understand, is that some of us on this forum, me included, don't know as much as others.

You must be aware of that fact and take it into account when another user fails to understand a point that is perhaps common sense to you.

Flaming somebody or being rude is not the way to make them understand, nor does it create a nice atmosphere for other users to be in.

All the best whatever you decide.

Smile

Rgds.
"I feel like a turkey who's just caught Bernard Matthews grinning at him!"

411A

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:11 am

Professional pilots here correct the sometimes mis-guided opinions and 'assumptions' that a large portion of non-pilots have, regardless of their so-called 'information'.

IF you want accurate information, ask the guy who flies the particular airplane or has been in air carrier operations quite a long time.

Starlionblue

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:33 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 16):
Professional pilots here correct the sometimes mis-guided opinions and 'assumptions' that a large portion of non-pilots have, regardless of their so-called 'information'.

IF you want accurate information, ask the guy who flies the particular airplane or has been in air carrier operations quite a long time.

Of course. But the corrections and accurate information can be conveyed in a more or less humorous, condescending or pompous manner.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

David L

Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting 411A (Reply 16):

Nobody's debating that.  Smile

EssentialPowr
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:07 pm

That's about 24 hours...

I will stay, and frankly I've very surprised at the positive nature of the responses. I have read them all, and will try to incorporate the philosophies that have been offered. My error has been in debating and defending topics in a technical forum, when it is now apparent that I probably I should be applying more effort to teaching within the forum.

Thanks, again, to all.

Essentialpowr

2H4

Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:46 pm

Glad to hear it, EssentialPowr! I'll look forward to reading your posts. Out of curiousity, what equipment have you flown?

airplane 

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

HAWK21M

Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:04 pm

Quoting Boeingonfinal (Reply 14):
don't leave because somebody can't stand being corrected.

Quoting EssentialPowr (Reply 19):
I will stay, and frankly I've very surprised at the positive nature of the responses.

Majority of Knowledgable persons on this Forum are ready to Explain things in detail.However there are a few that consider themselves "Special" & instead of Giving the Right Answer just pull down an Individual for asking something in his field & ridiculing it by stating "Thats Wrong" or "Don't you know that" etc.

You will see both types out here.And its obvious in the long run who you will want to respect [Im NOT talking about Anet RR] for their words.

My policy is Be nice to all & ignore those that don't respect others.You'll find Majority are the Helpfull type.If someone wants to play brave behind a Computer screen let them live in that world.The bottom line is Lets do what We are here for.

We all are here to Learn,Share & Educate.Lets do that.

I too am looking forward to your posts like the rest.Thanks for staying back.

regds
MEL

David L

Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:25 pm

Glad to hear it.  Smile

Quoting EssentialPowr (Reply 19):
My error has been in debating and defending topics in a technical forum, when it is now apparent that I probably I should be applying more effort to teaching within the forum.

As I see it, the vast majority of the membership here is not technically qualified in aviation related industries - see the frequency of posts in the Civil and Non-aviation forums (and the "quality"  Smile ). The Tech-Ops forum is where those people can ask technical questions of the relatively few experts we have here.

I sometimes have a go at answering a question. I always try to make it clear that there are others more qualified to answer but sometimes I forget that not everyone is aware of that and I fail to specify. It's purely accidental.

As I'm sure we're all aware, there are other places where technical matters can be discussed without interference from the likes of me.  Smile

Woodreau

Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:14 pm

Do what you want to do.

But I'd like a fellow ship driver to stay  Smile

(After reading EP's second post, I'm glad you're staying.)
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.