Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mir

RE: Major Update To The Forum Pages

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 46):
I would have to say that I much prefer to see the whole thread put forth before me. Allow us to choose if we want to read it in its entirety.

I agree with CastleIsland on this. One of the things I really like about these forums is the simplicity. No multiple pages, all the posts are in chronological order instead of by which post they are replying to, and they all load up when you open the page. It's my opinion (based on admittedly limited observation) that this new feature adds complications that really aren't necessary, and it would be great if there were a feature where one could turn this function off.

Or, as an alternate, perhaps use icons to identify which posts are unread, as in the main index with the starred topics. If you wanted to get quickly to the unread posts, all you'd have to do is scroll down until the icons started appearing.

I'll see if I get used to it, but for now I think it's a bad idea to fix something that may have had its quirks, but was hardly broken. But the thought and effort is certainly appreciated.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

davestanKSAN

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 pm

I like the little x next to the "quote selected text" box. That way if you don't like a post you don't have to see it all big. Like....oh yeah..I'll show you....X! HA!

I also like that you put the "read _ unread replies" at the top of the page  Smile

Thanks for working hard, we appreciate it!

Dave
Yesterday we've sinned, today we move towards God. Touch the sky....love and respect...Safe Star!

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:16 pm

BAB has decided.

I just don't like it. One problem I have encountered is when using the search feature. I receive the search results, as usual. When I click on a result, it goes to the thread, as usual. In the opened thread, the first twenty-five posts are expanded, while the rest are collapsed, including the one you wanted to view if it is post twenty-six or more. That makes it very hard to find what you're looking for when you then have to scroll the all the names.

To make it worse, when I find the collapsed reply that I want, when I click on the post to expand it, the post expands, but without text.

BAB

[Edited 2006-10-04 08:25:40]
I'm just skipping stones...

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Also, there seems to be no more "jump to last" option for when there are no unread replies. And, I could only edit my previous post one time.

BAB

FlyingHigh

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm

I like it. Thank you!  bigthumbsup 
The first hundred years are usually the hardest.

pilotdude09

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:21 pm

Interesting, havent seen anything else like it on other forums, i guess it will grow on me. The check for new replies feature is great!
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

jush

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:54 pm

That update is fantastic!!!
Great work Johan

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

MYT332

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:39 pm

I hate it whole heatedly. Please take it off, it's just too confusing, busy and cluttered to find anything.

The simplicity of the previous layout was great as it allowed you to read previous posts to remind yourself what the thread was about!

If you can't remember the number your post was and scroll down to it then you shouldn't be allowed out in public.

For instance: Normally I would have read this whole thread but I've only read up to reply 25 and then the next set of maximized replies which for me were 53-56. You're running the risk of people not actually reading whole threads now, it's going to cause double posting I tell you and a lot of grief.

Bad idea.
One Life, Live it.

oly720man

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:41 pm

Having just seen it now I have to say it looks good. Haven't gone to the lengths of BAB to bug hunt yet.
wheat and dairy can screw up your brain

pepef

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:51 pm

While you are waiting for feedback could you consider screening "Johan's queue". The oldest photos have been uploaded more than a month ago.

I keep hitting the username and end up opening just the profile of the photographer when in fact I'm trying to expand the whole thread. Also, when I open a long thread, I see the first 25 replys uncompressed, the new ones are compressed.

-Pepef-

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:17 pm

Quoting Oly720man (Reply 58):
Haven't gone to the lengths of BAB to bug hunt yet.

Lol, I was just coming off of runners high, and still had a rush of energy. It was either snoop around and play with the new feature, or stick my head through the wall a few times.

The more I look at it, I just gotta say I hate it. I think it is going to be confusing and counterproductive.

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 57):

The simplicity of the previous layout was great as it allowed you to read previous posts to remind yourself what the thread was about!

checkmark Exactly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The way it was before was beautifully simple and practical.

Alex, what do you say you and me go get pissed and throw rocks at underprivliged babies to vent our frustrations?

BAB Big grin

BreninTW

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:26 pm

It has it's good points and bad points -- I haven't really played around with it much -- I like the compressed posts feature, it's especially useful for longer threads.

I don't like the fact that the cookies seem to have a shelf-life of about 10 minutes. If I read a thread, then go and read a few more, then go back to the original one, it shows "All unread" ... that's OK for a short thread, but for a thread of over 100 replies it's painful, especially since only the first 25 are expanded.

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:27 pm

All the issues above can (and probably will) be resolved without reverting back to the old state... But it's a relatively complex modification, so a bit of patience (and constructive feedback) would be the best approach, I think.  Smile

EA CO AS

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Don't like it, actually. Can we go back to the way it was?  Smile
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

SANFan

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:50 pm

Johan, I just discovered the changes but it's the middle of the night for me. So far it looks great and I continue to be very impressed with all your hard work! I'll play around with it more when I'm awake...

Keep up the good work; it is most appreciated!

bb

Elite

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Good ad, this makes loading much easier  Smile

Tom12

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Heya, Great idea Johan, love the new feature.

Tom
"Per noctem volamus" - Royal Air Force Bomber Squadron IX

BNE

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:06 pm

Interesting new change; it will take a bit to get used too;

Not sure if I like replying to a long thread and can't see full details of the post immediately before the one I am about to post.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

osiris30

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:35 pm

Quoting N600RR (Reply 43):
If I might make one (1) small (very small) stylistic suggestion? It seems like it would be more intuitive to use the "-" sign instead of the "X" for this feature. IMHO. The "X" implies that the opened post will be deleted or closed, not merely collapsed.

checkmark 
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

A340600

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:57 pm

Hey,

I don't like it at all, it's going to cause a nightmare with double posting. Appreciated you didn't do the 25 replies max per page thing though thumbsup 

Sam
Despite the name I am a Boeing man through and through!

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 pm

It appears that the saving of the last read posts is indeed broken - it doesn't work for me any longer (Safari). It always says "All unread" for me. Sad

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:02 pm

Quoting A340600 (Reply 69):
I don't like it at all, it's going to cause a nightmare with double posting.

I think it's still just a bit buggy, but the overall concept is solid.

It should be possible to simply configure it back to the old state - but I very much welcome the new mechanism (I even proposed something like that a few months ago). Just have a little patience until the kinks are ironed out...  Smile

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Correction: The post tracking cookies just appear to have very short survival spans. It should be at least multiple weeks.

Rj111

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:29 pm

Whilst i definately appreciate you're trying to innovate i'm not a fan.

In essense it just requires more button pressing. My computer is fast so i never really had a problem before with long threads.

Perhaps a method whereby a user could toggle his preference to either always have the posts shown in the previous style, or this new style when viewing a thread would keep everyone happy.

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Terrific Improvement.
Good Job.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Elite

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 pm

Quoting RJ111 (Reply 73):

Perhaps a method whereby a user could toggle his preference to either always have the posts shown in the previous style, or this new style when viewing a thread would keep everyone happy.

Thats a very good suggestion... sometimes with slower computers this option could save loads of time.

administrator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 pm

Well, mixed reviews. First:

Quoting Klaus (Reply 70):
It appears that the saving of the last read posts is indeed broken

True, I'm going to have to fix that. When I opened this thread it said I had only two read for instance.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 71):
It should be possible to simply configure it back to the old state

Definitely. You will be able to increase the page limit and possibly even the compressing of read posts.

Quoting N600RR (Reply 43):
seems like it would be more intuitive to use the "-" sign instead of the "X" for this feature.

Thanks, fixed that.

Please keep your comments and suggestions coming - let me know how to change it to make it easier and more productive to use!

Thanks,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

BCAL

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:29 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 57):
I hate it whole heatedly. Please take it off, it's just too confusing, busy and cluttered to find anything.

If you can't remember the number your post was and scroll down to it then you shouldn't be allowed out in public.

I agree, but would not go as far as saying "I hate it!"

My biggest problem is that you read a thread, then go back later and are then prompted to post a reply. Previously you could see everything that had been written, but now you have to open up read postings. Chances are that many members will then say or post something that has already been said, as they will probably not bother to reopen read replies.

What has happened to the "edit" facility? A minute or so after posting a reply, I noticed that the GB Pound sign was not displaying, so I decided to change this to GBP. Trouble was there was no "edit" facility.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

airfoilsguy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:31 pm

I like it. Good job. Great site as always. This is the only non work internet site I actually pay for and it is well worth it.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

MYT332

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:49 pm

Now I feel like screaming. I just wrote my reply and hit hide all and then show all and my reply disappeared. What's that about? What's the whole point of this anyway? I say just cap all threads at 200 posts automatically and start a part 2 of instead. Saves all this garbage.

I mean check for new replies? Well I do that myself by reading through them, I'm smart you see.

Or alternatively give the guys that don't like this feature an option to revert to classic mode like you can do with the Windows XP Start Menu.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the pub with BAB! Apparently he's paying.
One Life, Live it.

administrator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:09 pm

I think I've fixed the cookie problem, your browsers should now remember how many posts you've read and which are new. Please try it out and confirm that it works.

Thanks,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:23 pm

Johan,

When I click on "Check New Replies" it doesn't appear to work. I reviewed the Las Vegas Meet Thread this morning, saw the last reply was from DL021, Reply #126. That reply was not there last night. When I clicked "Check New Replies" I was told there weren't any. . . .I know better.

Perhaps there's a glitch there?

Also, having to click twice on the back button to get backto the Forum Index from the END of a thread is tedious. One of two things please. Put a Button to return to the Forum Index at the end of the thread string, or allow a single click of the back button to return the user to the Forum Index . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

MYT332

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 81):
Put a Button to return to the Forum Index at the end of the thread string,

It's already there and has been for years?
One Life, Live it.

aa61hvy

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:34 pm

The only thing I do not like about the new feature is: when I do a search for XYZ using the search function, the replies still come up compacted, so I don't actually see what post XYZ is referenced in. Does that make sense?
Go big or go home

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:39 pm

Quoting Myt332 (Reply 82):
Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 81):
Put a Button to return to the Forum Index at the end of the thread string,

It's already there and has been for years?

Yup, got it now, never paid attention to it before . . . because simply one click of the back button did the trick . . . thanks . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

baroque

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:06 am

Amazing! Looks good so far. Well done!

GLAGAZ

Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:52 am

I don't like it so far. Also, I liked how when using the search funtion (in my case usually for "GLA") when you clicked on the results from the seacrh it took you directly to the post containing your search result. Now it just lists all the posts.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

GLAGAZ

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:03 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 86):
I don't like it so far. Also, I liked how when using the search funtion (in my case usually for "GLA") when you clicked on the results from the seacrh it took you directly to the post containing your search result. Now it just lists all the posts.

Gaz

Ok disregard this now, it appears to have changed for the better.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

legoguy

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:09 am

It takes a little getting used to. I like it except for one thing.... the 'check for new replies' button. It seems a little pointless when you could just click refresh (or press F5). It is not really saving you any hassle.

However if that button had the ability to find and show any replies aimed directly at the user (me) would be good. It can be a pain searching for people replying to you.

I think I explained that rather craply lol
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

9MMAR

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:16 am

No. I really don't like it. As people won't be glancing through all replies as they should in a thread. It will result in repetitious replies, or asking something that has been answered. Also difficult when one is about to quote for others.

A long thread means the thread is very popular. Let it be as long as it can.

I hope you'll changed it back. I want the old layout.
 Sad

Jaspike

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:22 am

I like it. There'll always be people who moan because they don't like change, even if it's for the better.. hopefully everyone will be happy when those options in the profile appear  Wink

Quoting Legoguy (Reply 88):
I like it except for one thing.... the 'check for new replies' button. It seems a little pointless when you could just click refresh (or press F5). It is not really saving you any hassle.

I think that's quite good - it's in the perfect spot, right after the last reply, and the whole page isn't refreshed. Nice  Smile

legoguy

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:29 am

Quoting Jaspike (Reply 90):
I think that's quite good - it's in the perfect spot, right after the last reply, and the whole page isn't refreshed.

I am starting to see the good side to that now  Smile especially in all the threads with pictures etc etc.

Still it would nice to see a button which could highlight posts aimed directly at you meaning you wouldn't have to scroll down looking for you name in the posts.

Apart from that, I think it will grow on us and it will become natural after a while.

Ohh one other thing.....is there no possibility to edit you post within the 30 minutes of posting it? Or has that function been taken away?
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

Klaus

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:32 am

Well, one of the effects of this new architecture is that checking for additional posts can be executed at a massively lower server load than a complete page reload - so regardless how fast one's connection may be, the server could potentially respond a lot faster than if it had to re-create and re-transmit the entire page every few minutes for thousands of users - the difference in server load can become positively massive when picture-intensive threads are involved...!

No doubt, the remaining snags will have to be ironed out (including restoring the option of configuring for the "old" behaviour); And a few browsers may in fact be unsuitable for the new features as evidenced by vanishing posts (so configure back if necessary). But all in all this at least promises to become a big step forwards.

APFPilot1985

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 am

Quoting BNE (Reply 67):
Not sure if I like replying to a long thread and can't see full details of the post immediately before the one I am about to post.

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 89):
No. I really don't like it. As people won't be glancing through all replies as they should in a thread. It will result in repetitious replies, or asking something that has been answered. Also difficult when one is about to quote for others.

I agree with both of these posts, how about an option to leave the forums at the old format.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

9V

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:27 am

I don't like it. The 'starred topics' was a good idea but this is too confusing for me, I only got 3 o levels!  Sad

KaiGywer

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:36 am

One thing I would love to see, but don't know if it's feasible. On another forum I'm on (terrible layout, but with ONE good feature). It remembers what posts you have read regardless of what computer you are on, as long as you log on. This would be a welcome feature for people like me, who surfs from home, school, and work.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

mika

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:59 am

I personally much prefered the old style, full length threads. But that's just me!

baylorairbear

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 95):
This would be a welcome feature for people like me, who surfs from home, school, and work.

Wasn't that supposed to have been implemented here with "my starred topics"?

Also, I think Johan, and he may well have done this, needs to consider how this will affect A.net taking on new users. For most of us, we are here, and regardless of circumstance, will remain posting members. However, I've not seen anything like this elsewhere, and I think potential new members will find these features very confusing and unagreeable. I suspect new memberships may decline.

BAB

[Edited 2006-10-04 20:03:59]

Klaus

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:07 am

Bizarre bug: The "check for new replies" button doesn't show "no new replies" but a lengthy SQL error message instead.

That can't be right!

(It seems it was a stale JavaScript code version in a still open window which did not match the changed server code - still somewhat ugly and potentially insecure.)

Another issue: It seems there is a false error message - when trying to post during a server overload, it falsely complains about a wrong name+password combination, but I never touched those fields.

BA0284

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:12 am

Thanks very much Johan, really nice changes and personally it's certainly for the better!

Although...i think there's a problem with the Archived Topics, i've had a couple of interesting things crop up when i selected the Emirates CEO: "We Have A Further Ten Month Delay" (by Singapore_Air Oct 3 2006 in Civil Aviation) thread.

If i click on one of the posts that has been collapsed, i get this:
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7096/oohig5.jpg

Another one that i noticed, was when i clicked on a link that was posted in the Part 5 section of the Brazil Plane Crash.. This thread : RE: How Can This Be Safe? Photo Of The Day. (by Cure Mar 27 2006 in Civil Aviation)

for me, when i click on the collapsed posts...this happens:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1479/iooh2bo8.jpg

Apart from that, it works perfectly!

Thanks

BA0284