Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

administrator
Topic Author

Major Update To The Forum Pages

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:04 am

Hi all,

I have made some rather big changes to the forum pages to make it easier to read threads with a lot of replies and to get a better overview.

As with all the other functions of the forum, you need to have javascript and cookies enabled to be able to take advantage of this feature.

So, in short - here's how it's supposed to work:

Posts that you have already read are "compress", that mean that you'll only see them as one row of text with the username of the poster and the first few words of his post as in this image:

Big version: Width: 756 Height: 878 File size: 237kb
Having already read the first 25 posts of this thread, you'll notice that they are compress, ie, you only see the name of the poster and the first line of every post. Clicking on a post will open the full version without re-loading the whole page.

Click on the image to get the full view. Note that in that image, the first 25 replies are compressed (because I have read them previously). Starting with reply 26 (which is new to me) the posts are shown in full. Note that the number of posts that you have already read are saved as a cookie. If you have cookies disabled the system will always think all posts are unread by you (so enable cookies!).

As of right now, there's a page limit of 25. That means that max 25 posts are expanded and shown in full and the rest compressed. This will soon be a setting in your user-profile so that you can change it to a bigger or smaller number as you see fit.

You'll have to press the "Show next 25 posts" button to open the next 25. You can also click on the individual posts which will also expand them. Any way, the posts will be expanded without you having to reload the page, saving lots of time. Note that there will be a slight delay in any case as the webpage needs to get the full post info from the Airliners.net servers.

Click on the X at the top right of each post (beside the "Quote selected text" button) to compress a post to just a line again. Here's an image of a thread where reply 60 has been expanded. You can compress it by clicking the X that's highlighted.

Big version: Width: 779 Height: 784 File size: 218kb
Clicking on any one post that is compressed will open it in full version without re-loading the page. You can compress it again by pressing the X button at the top right of every post. Open next 25 posts (profile setting) by clicking the blue buttons.

Click on the image to get the full view. You'll also see the "Show next 25 posts" and "Hide 25 posts above" buttons that will work as expected without reloading the page. Note that one of the compressed posts (reply 54) has a small graphic infront of it. It means that the posts contains at least one image. There's three graphics:

= Contains one or more graphics
= Contains one or more links
= Contains both graphics and links

Finally, there's now a nifty little feature to let you check for new posts without reloading the page. You'll find the "Check for new replies" button at the bottom of the thread. Click it and it will check for any new posts. If there are any, they will be displayed below with a yellow "New!" prefix as in this example:

Big version: Width: 798 Height: 338 File size: 69kb
Check for new posts without having to reload the page. Simply click on the "Check for new replies" button and new replies will be added below (so that you can click to expand them).

Simply click on the compressed post to view the full thing (without reloading the page or loosing anything you've written in the reply form!). You can press this button many times and each time any new posts will be fetched.

Now, these are all complex features and I'm sure we'll run into many problems with all the combinations of browsers, operating systems and firewall settings out there. Please post any problems you run into below and please include a very detailed explanation of what happens and how I can try to replicate it. Include screenshots if possible.

Before reporting any problems though, check and double-check that you really do have Javascript and cookies enabled for Airliners.net. They are enabled by default so unless you or your network admin have changed the settings or you have some over-zealous firewall software installed, you should be fine.

I hope this change will improve the forum experience for you guys. I considered going with one of those standard "Next page" buttons and cap the number of relies to 25 per page. It brings in more in ad revenue as more ads are loaded but personally I hate that system, you get a very bad overview of a longer thread and it is difficult to go back and find a particular post on some previous page. I think in the long run the site with the most user friendly interface will win, not the one that priorities short-time ad revenue. I like this system better, I hope you will too. Give it some time, it's a big change and can take a while to get used to.

Your webmaster,
Johan
Working on the site from morning 'till night that's livin' alright (1997-2007)

SInGAPORE_AIR

RE: Major Update To The Forum Pages

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:08 am

Yes I just noticed. Shocking.

Kudos

Anyone can fly, only the best Soar.

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:10 am

Very nice . . . . I like it.

Now, can you fix the disappearing threads, the RE: Subject here threads?

Thanks
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:12 am

Thank you, Johan, for working to improve the forums.  Smile

Frankly, I'm not sure if I like this. Obviously, it shortens the amount of scrolling one must do, but, it just seems to be a fancy version of "read 5 unread." Oh well, I'll play with it for a while, and see how it develops.

It's certainly a step in the right direction for reducing clutter.

BAB
I'm just skipping stones...

jogales

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:16 am

How cool! Thanks for striving to make the forums better, Johan  Smile
-

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:16 am

One thing I think we would still all like to see, and this thread is a perfect example of it, is "read _ unread replies" at the top of the opener, rather than the bottom. It seems a moot point to compress the rest of the thread for the sake of efficiency and easier navigation, when I still have to scroll through the long opener that I've already read.

Here's hoping that that suggestion is taken to heart.  champagne 

Cheers,

BAB

tz757300

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:22 am

I think this feature is a good thing to see, it makes seeing new replies much more easier.

I'm sure the people who participate in the word game will appriciate this.

2H4

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:23 am

Quoting Administrator (Thread starter):
I considered going with one of those standard "Next page" buttons and cap the number of relies to 25 per page. It brings in more in ad revenue as more ads are loaded but personally I hate that system

Thank you for resisting the urge to paginate the threads, Johan. I agree 100% that previous pages in a paginated thread become lost and forgotten.

The A.net forums have, in my opinion, built the reputation of being the cleanest, most intuitive, and most easily navigated forums on the web, and I'm reminded of that every time I visit others, with their animated avatars, elaborate signatures, and overall sloppy appearance.

Thanks again for the great work.

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:30 am

I hope this change will improve the forum experience for you guys. I considered going with one of those standard "Next page" buttons and cap the number of relies to 25 per page. It brings in more in ad revenue as more ads are loaded but personally I hate that system, you get a very bad overview of a longer thread and it is difficult to go back and find a particular post on some previous page. I think in the long run the site with the most user friendly interface will win, not the one that priorities short-time ad revenue. I like this system better, I hope you will too. Give it some time, it's a big change and can take a while to get used to.

Excellent! I couldn't agree more - and it does look promising. Great effort so far!  bigthumbsup 

jetmatt777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:34 am

Wow, didn't expect this! It looks good so far Johan, yes, it will take some time to get used to, but I'm sure in a few weeks we'll all get used to it!

Thanks Johan!
-Matt  Smile

NZ560

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:41 am

God I love it.  cheerful  Makes the long threads much quicker to load now. No more waiting for hours just to read 1 new post.  relieved 
-OJL RIP Also to the 7 onboard

san747

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:47 am

I logged on an hour ago, looked around, made a couple of posts, then I log on two minutes ago and everything changes!

I must say I like the improvements however... Good job Johan and the powers-that-be!
Scotty doesn't know...

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:50 am

Indeed, it might make all of those self pic threads easier to load silly 

Thank you Johan, it must have taken a lot of hard work as well as time and it is appreciated.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:52 am

One thing I noticed in Safari: I cannot open a thread from the Forum Index in a new tab any more, which is quite inconvenient... I haven't examined the exact cause yet, but it would be very nice if it became possible again...

Cadet57

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:52 am

Very cool sir! Will really help on the longer threads.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

UAL747

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:55 am

Eww....I don't like it....maybe it will take some getting used to, but for now I say nix!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

AirTranTUS

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:57 am

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 5):
One thing I think we would still all like to see, and this thread is a perfect example of it, is "read _ unread replies" at the top of the opener, rather than the bottom.

Very much agreed!

One thing I noticed that could be avoided because I shouldn't be doing it: If I have entered text in the reply box and click "Hide All" or "Show All", my reply erases and I must re-do it. I don't know why anyone would click those at that time anyway, unless they only had unread replies displayed and they wanted to read an earlier one again. That would be a problem.
I love ASO!

administrator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 2):
Now, can you fix the disappearing threads, the RE: Subject here threads?

Fixed that, it's an unrelated problem though and caused by a slave server we're having problems with. I'm working on a long term solution.

One thing I think we would still all like to see, and this thread is a perfect example of it, is "read _ unread replies" at the top of the opener, rather than the bottom.

I added such links beside the Search link at the top of the tread starter. Is that what you were looking for?

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 7):
I agree 100% that previous pages in a paginated thread become lost and forgotten.

Thank you! So I'm not the only one who dislikes that, good to hear.

Thanks all for your kind words, I am so glad it's appreciated. I know it will take some time to get used to and that some things might have to be changed a bit to make it easier to use but I hope you'll all come to like it.

And right now I used the "Check for new replies" button for real for the first time and three more replies showed up! One of them was this one:

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
One thing I noticed in Safari: I cannot open a thread from the Forum Index in a new tab any more, which is quite inconvenient...

That's because the links are now javascript, the default links are for non-javascript browsers and give the old appearance. I'll think of a way to fix it, opening threads in new windows is definitely something that should work.

Regards,
Johan

osiris30

Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:58 am

Whatever changes you've implemented broke my 'use the middle mouse button to open a link in a new tab' on IE7 for what it's worth. Just reporting, not griping.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

jetmatt777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:00 am

Johan, Maybe you could add a feature in "Edit Profile" to disable or enable this feature or a selection for how many posts are displayed for each user's settings. I know, web programing is easire said than done, Just a thought, i like this feature, though!

-Matt  

EDIT: I really like the "Check For new replies" feature, I am on 56k dial-up and this saves me time as I don't have to reload the page and pictures to see a new reply, saves alot of time for me! Thanks Johan, I am already falling in love with this feature!

-Matt

[Edited 2006-10-04 04:04:06]

eadster

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:03 am

This is great, I think I can get used to this!

KFLLCFII

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:06 am

I like it...Although there's one little thing this seems to have interfered with:

If any of the new buttons are pressed while within a thread, you have to push your web browser's "back" button that many more times in order to exit the thread.

Is there any way to alleviate this in the script?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting Administrator (Reply 17):
And right now I used the "Check for new replies" button for real for the first time and three more replies showed up!

Neat, isn't it?

That's because the links are now javascript, the default links are for non-javascript browsers and give the old appearance. I'll think of a way to fix it, opening threads in new windows is definitely something that should work.

Do they actually have to be JavaScript? At least right now I can't think of a compelling reason...

Quoting Osiris30 (Reply 18):
Whatever changes you've implemented broke my 'use the middle mouse button to open a link in a new tab' on IE7 for what it's worth. Just reporting, not griping.

Yeah, seems to be the same cause.

By the way, it would be nice if the command buttons moved down to the end of the list if new posts had been inserted. Especially after opening and reading them, the buttons can be out of sight again.

And I agree that "read new posts" should be a link at the top of the page, especially important with longer thread starters...

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:10 am

22 replies: 20 compressed (alredy read), showing 2 unread

Please note the TYPO . . . . I only managed to find it in this thread . . . .

Already is missing the "A" in the middle.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

osiris30

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:14 am

Seems to work again on the index (which is where I care the most) Cheers.
I don't care what you think of my opinion. It's my opinion, so have a nice day :)

administrator
Topic Author

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:18 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
I cannot open a thread from the Forum Index in a new tab any more, which is quite inconvenient...

Fixed that now. However, this means problems for those of you that don't have Javascript activated. I'll try to fix that in time though but making "open in new window" work was more important.

'use the middle mouse button to open a link in a new tab' on IE7 for

The above fix will take care of this. I haven't tested anything of this in IE7 or Opera, hope it look ok. I'll test it later on.

Quoting Jetmatt777 (Reply 19):
add a feature in "Edit Profile" to disable or enable this feature or a selection for how many posts are displayed for each user's settings

Definitely. As mentioned in the first post, you should be able to change the max number of open posts via a setting in the profile. If you set it high enough, the pages will behave pretty much as before (but already read posts will be compressed, you can use the "Show All" button for that).

Quoting KFLLCFII (Reply 21):
If any of the new buttons are pressed while within a thread, you have to push your web browser's "back" button that many more times in order to exit the thread.

Is there any way to alleviate this in the script?

This is more of a feature than a bug  Smile You should be able to press the back button to get back to where you were in the thread but I agree it's annoying having to click back many times to get to the forum index. There's however a link at the top and bottom of the page you can use (called "Forum index").

Quoting Klaus (Reply 22):
Neat, isn't it?

I'm starting to enjoy it myself, hehe. Your post just popped up when I used it.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 22):
Do they actually have to be JavaScript? At least right now I can't think of a compelling reason...

It directed old browsers to the old version (via the normal href= link) and javascript enabled browsers to the new version. But the links are back to normal now, I'll think of another way to deal with non-javascript surfers.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 23):
22 replies: 20 compressed (alredy read), showing 2 unread

Thank you, fixed!

Regards,
Johan

NWA742

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:20 am

I like it. Especially the "Check for New Replies" button - makes it a whole lot better if you're debating someone.

-NWA742
Some people are like slinkies - not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs

N328KF

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:25 am

One thing is that it seems to break usage of the middle mouse button in Safari to open links in a new tab/window. Now, it opens the link in the same tab/window. If I right-click on a link and open it in a separate tab/window, that works as expected. I think I saw similar results on Opera on the PC, but I'll have to double-check.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

halls120

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 15):
Eww....I don't like it....maybe it will take some getting used to, but for now I say nix!

UAL

I'm in this camp as well. Perhaps it will become bearable, but for now, I don't care for it.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Klaus

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting Administrator (Reply 25):
Fixed that now. However, this means problems for those of you that don't have Javascript activated. I'll try to fix that in time though but making "open in new window" work was more important.

Indeed. Thanks!

Yet another idea: Now with the update feature, it would logically follow to be nice if the preview could be (optionally?) changed to a separate "popup" window, so the original thread window could stay open - and automatically perform a check for new messages on confirmation of the post in the preview window; the input field would be cleared but the bulk of the thread would not have to be reloaded.

A variant could be the elimination of the input field altogether - the entire message composition, preview and submission could happen in the separate window for conceptual simplicity. The thread window would just have a prominent "add reply" button at the end...

I'm sure you're already planning to add a "check for updated threads" button to the forum list as well...  mischievous 
It should be able to reduce the server load considerably - It's silly to generate and transmit the whole page if nothing actually changed on it...

Cadet57

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:38 am

Im starting to take back what I said... Its becoming a pain, It automaticly compresses the posts in threads Ive already read. It doesnt help, espically looking for quotes and whatnot. Is it possible to make this feature user selectable? Besides clicking show all that is.

Newark777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:40 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 30):

If you want to see it all again, just click "Show All."

Harry
Why grab a Heine when you can grab a Busch?

NicolasRubio

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:42 am

Great Johan... As usual!

Thanks!
Gripped 7D + Sigma 10-20mm + 17-40L + 50mm f/1.8 II + 70-200mm f/4L IS + EF 400mm f/5.6L + 580EX II

Cadet57

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Newark777 (Reply 31):
If you want to see it all again, just click "Show All."

I click it and then it shows them all for like 5 seconds then retracts them again.. I dont like it...

AirCop

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 28):
I'm in this camp as well. Perhaps it will become bearable, but for now, I don't care for it.

Only time will tell, just wished that there was an announcement prior to changing.

jfkaua

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:07 pm

cool... and VERY original feature...

Newark777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:09 pm

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 33):
I click it and then it shows them all for like 5 seconds then retracts them again.. I dont like it...

That's odd, it stays for me.

Harry

KFLLCFII

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Just had a thought...

Would it be possible to enable a feature that would automatically execute the "Check for new replies" function, say, every 10 seconds, to effectively give the thread a "real-time" atmosphere?

...Something that could also be controlled from the profile, to specify refresh-intervals, on/off, etc?

I think it's a great idea, and I wouldn't think it would put an excess strain on the servers since the entire threads need not be fully-reloaded every time.

Comments for / against?
"About the only way to look at it, just a pity you are not POTUS KFLLCFII, seems as if we would all be better off."

edelag

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Thanks, Johan. Great to see new inovations on A.Net forums.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

zippyjet

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:24 pm

Quoting BaylorAirBear (Reply 3):
Thank you, Johan, for working to improve the forums

It's growing on me. I wish, you'd provide or let us use colored fonts in our replies. I did this for awhile and seemed to get favorable feedback however, I was banned and requested not to do this. Does the new system use less bandwidth? I'm curious to see if this will make things go smoother on dial-up Internet connections. I'm getting my home computer fixed or replaced and at least for the near future will have to make do with dial up.

Have you ever thought of changing/fixing the drop down windows in the photo search engine section. No big deal but, it is a bit of an excursion to scroll down to the US airports.

Again Johan myself and probably 99.9% of my fellow A-Netters thank you and do appreciate your hard work and dedication!  bigthumbsup 
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

baylorairbear

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:25 pm

I added such links beside the Search link at the top of the tread starter. Is that what you were looking for?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  praise 

That is exactly what we have been praying for!

Bless you,

BAB Big grin

jacobin777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:31 pm

One thing I think we would still all like to see, and this thread is a perfect example of it, is "read _ unread replies" at the top of the opener, rather than the bottom. It seems a moot point to compress the rest of the thread for the sake of efficiency and easier navigation, when I still have to scroll through the long opener that I've already read.

checkmark ..also....I think it will take a little while for me to get used to..however I don't mind..
"Up the Irons!"

Newark777

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:41 pm

I think the idea of having the "check for new replies" updated every 10 seconds or so is a really good idea.

Harry

N600RR

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:41 pm

An excellent improvement!  bigthumbsup I think I will like it...

You can compress it by clicking the X

If I might make one (1) small (very small) stylistic suggestion? It seems like it would be more intuitive to use the "-" sign instead of the "X" for this feature. IMHO. The "X" implies that the opened post will be deleted or closed, not merely collapsed.
"And the fluffy white lines that the airplane leaves behind are drifting right in front of the waning of the moon" -Cake

ANCFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:42 pm

Now here's a feature that I can actually USE:

12 Unread: Jump to First!

Yeehaw . . . well done . . .

Works better than that "My Starred Topics" crap ever did/does.

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 39):
I wish, you'd provide or let us use colored fonts in our replies

Nope, annoying and obnoxious . . . bad enough I have to read some of the BS replies in standard color, but to have to try to decipher it in red or green or yellow . . . ridiculous.

[email protected]

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:20 pm

I can see why some would benefit from this, but personally I don't think it is all that necessary. I actually find it a bit annoying at the moment. (Partly because I wrote my reply and made the mistake of clicking "show all" above, and my reply was gone, but that's not the main reason.)  Smile

Probably just takes some getting used to...

[email protected]
"If guns don't kill people, people kill people - does that mean toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast?"

CastleIsland

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:37 pm

I would have to say that I much prefer to see the whole thread put forth before me. Allow us to choose if we want to read it in its entirety. As for breaking the thread into pages, have you decided to become airwhiners.net, or any number of cheesy other websites?  Wink

This site was top notch. Why mess with it? Just my $0.02. But I liked it just fine the way it was.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

TedTAce

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:38 pm

You know I do respect you as a programmer right?

Good Job Johan!!
This space intentionally left blank

ShyFlyer

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:43 pm

I haven't decided if I like the new format or not. I'll give it a week before I'm sure which side of the fence I'll fall on.

However, I have noticed one bug, at least for me. Sometimes I will open a thread that I have read before only to be told that all of the posts are unread.
I lift things up and put them down.

jetmech

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 pm

G'day from Oz Johan! I really like the new features you have initiated for the forums. It makes it much easier to get an overall feel for an entire thread.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .